PDA

View Full Version : Next Week The Deciding Factor

ssidebeatdown
08-02-2004, 04:21 PM
With the Sox playing KC and then Cleveland with the Twins playing Anaheim and Oakland I think we need to make up some ground. This is one of our best opportunities to do it. Bold Prediction: This time next week we will be 2 games out of first place.

Erik The Red
08-02-2004, 04:26 PM
A bold prediction if there ever was one. I certainly wouldn't be complaining if that came true, though.

nitetrain8601
08-02-2004, 04:29 PM
i say the deciding factor is when we play the Twins again

OzzieBall2004
08-02-2004, 04:49 PM
I think we really need a sweep of KC, hopefully Minny can lose 2 out 3 to ANA and at the best split against OAK. If they do that, and we sweep KC and take 3 out of 4 against CLE (Buehrle and Garcia are pitching 2 of those games), then we will in fact only be 2 games out. 5 Games is pretty much the threshold of being in it and out of it. Lord knows if we had a 5 game lead I'd be a confident SOB.

OzzieBall2004
08-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Another plus is that MIN plays NYY (3) and CLE (3) the final week while we play DET (3) and KC (4). If we're out a couple games going into the final week, we still have a chance to make them up here. KC will likely be fielding a AA team by then (as if they arent now), and hopefully the Yanks wont be letting all their starters rest.

Erik The Red
08-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Sox 2004 record at the Metrodome: 6-1
Twins 2004 record at The Cell: 5-1

3 games each remaining at both parks. Thomas should (hopefully) be back for both series. We were without Maggs when we were beating up on them earlier this season, so it's not out of the question for us to do better against them once Frank returns.

SoxxoS
08-02-2004, 04:59 PM
If the Twins keep playing like they have been, I.E. off their ass, we aren't catching them. If, however, they fall back to earth and go on a bad streak (which is bound to happen sometime, then we can still win it. I agree the next two weeks are the deciding factor.

JB98
08-02-2004, 05:01 PM
i say the deciding factor is when we play the Twins again
True that, but now is a very critical time for us. One more losing streak, and we'll fall eight or nine games back. That would be insurmountable with about 50 games to play. We need to win now in order to keep touch with the Twins and make those September games mean something.

Brian26
08-02-2004, 05:11 PM
At this point, we need the Twins to go on a big losing streak just as much as we need to go on a mild winning streak. Imagine the kind of damage we could do if the Twins lost 7 in a row.

Foulke You
08-02-2004, 05:20 PM
A sweep in KC could do wonders for the team's confidence and possibly gain a game or two in the standings if Minny loses 2 out of 3. I like our chances to take Game 1 and 3 but the Royals are startiing Brian Anderson in Game 2 and he has given us trouble in the past. We need a strong showing from Shoeneweis in that game because I don't think we'll score many runs against Anderson.

SoxxoS
08-02-2004, 05:22 PM
A sweep in KC could do wonders for the team's confidence and possibly gain a game or two in the standings if Minny loses 2 out of 3. I like our chances to take Game 1 and 3 but the Royals are startiing Brian Anderson in Game 2 and he has given us trouble in the past. We need a strong showing from Shoeneweis in that game because I don't think we'll score many runs against Anderson.
We pounded Anderson earlier this season. He definitely isn't the same pitcher he was last year.

Wanne
08-02-2004, 05:27 PM
At this point, we need the Twins to go on a big losing streak just as much as we need to go on a mild winning streak. Imagine the kind of damage we could do if the Twins lost 7 in a row.

This is one of the reasons I wanted the Twins to get Benson...he SUCKS!

LASOXFAN
08-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Amazing what snapping a losing streak will do for the confidence of fans! Glad to see some positive vibrations flowing again.

The Twins will cool down. I think the biggest week in the season will come in 10 game stretch in September when the Sox go on the road for 4 at Texas, 3 at Anaheim and 3 at Minnesota. No doubt about it, those 10 games could make or break them.

I like the Contreras pick up and would LOVE to hit the Twins in September with a Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras punch.
For now, let's cobble together a winning month and see if we aren't 2 or 3 back going into September. Can't get it all back at once and you can't win it in August (although you can LOSE it).

pczarapa
08-02-2004, 10:35 PM
If the Twins keep playing like they have been, I.E. off their ass, we aren't catching them. If, however, they fall back to earth and go on a bad streak (which is bound to happen sometime, then we can still win it. I agree the next two weeks are the deciding factor.

They're playing out of their minds now and the Sox have just sucked, so I really don't feel that bad that we're only 5 back. Time to make up some ground!