PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else see this in the NY Times?

Muopsies
08-02-2004, 02:30 PM
They have an article about Loaiza going to the Yankees and they asked him about his decline this year and he said, "I think the hitters learned a lot about me.....This year, I've been going up and down, not a lot of run support." Not a lot of run support? What the hell is he talking about? I recall that Sunday afternoon game in Oakland he singlehandedly lost for the Sox. I guess 3 runs off of Mulder isn't good enough for him. Maybe if he didn't give up 2 home runs every game, he'd have won more games. Did he forget the fact that it was the run support that allowed him to win 9 games? I can't believe he said that. I read in the print version of the Times so I can't provide a link. Its on page D3 if anyone has a copy.

Dadawg_77
08-02-2004, 02:33 PM
They have an article about Loaiza going to the Yankees and they asked him about his decline this year and he said, "I think the hitters learned a lot about me.....This year, I've been going up and down, not a lot of run support." Not a lot of run support? What the hell is he talking about? I recall that Sunday afternoon game in Oakland he singlehandedly lost for the Sox. I guess 3 runs off of Mulder isn't good enough for him. Maybe if he didn't give up 2 home runs every game, he'd have won more games. Did he forget the fact that it was the run support that allowed him to win 9 games? I can't believe he said that. I read in the print version of the Times so I can't provide a link. Its on page D3 if anyone has a copy.
I can see his point, since he isn't in the top ten, it is hard to win games when only getting 6.33 runs a game in support.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/statistics?stat=rs&league=al&season=2&year=2004

soltrain21
08-02-2004, 02:34 PM
The only games he won this year was when we scored a ton of runs for him.

He had 1 VERY good outing this year, and 2-3 good ones. Other than that he has sucked.

chisoxfan79
08-02-2004, 02:38 PM
That is the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard. What the heck is good run support for him 15 runs? There are two games that stick out in my mind this year one was a game against the Braves where the Sox were up 5-0 he let them come back and Tie the game in a matter of two innings, the offense bailed him out that night, and a game against Cleveland in June where they were up 8-0 and he let them right back into it by giving up six runs, Once again the offense bailed him out again.

PorkChopExpress
08-02-2004, 02:45 PM
He's just upset because he didn't get as much run support as Buehrle.

poorme
08-02-2004, 02:45 PM
That doesn't surprise me at all coming from him...

ChiSoxBobette
08-02-2004, 02:52 PM
I guess he forgot that Cleveland game when he was up by 8 runs and the next inning Cleveland cleaned his clock.Although we did come back and win. I'm sure we'll be hearing alot about it not being Loiaza's fault. The yankmees will learn after he takes the mound with a 6/7 run lead and he gives up 7/8 runs on a consistent basis. He is finished unless Torre can figure out why the guys velocity went from 92/93mph in 2003 to 87/88mph 2004 I think the White Sox stole one from the yankees.

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-02-2004, 03:06 PM
I'm guessing Esteban is hoping nobody in the NYC media is smart enough to look up his run support back in Chicago. Well, this is the NY Times he's talking to after all...

:tongue:

He sounds just a bit like another ex-Sox pitcher who never had much grip on reality, let alone his pitches...

:jaime
"Hey I can only pitch, I can't hit for the guys. And 1 run isn't going to do it!"

skobabe8
08-02-2004, 03:17 PM
He'll be saying the same thing when the yanks dont resign him after the season.

:eloaiza:

"Jeter, Sheffield, A-rod, Clark, Posada, Matsui, and Bernie just couldn't give me enough run support. If only Giambi were healthy...."

SoxxoS
08-02-2004, 03:34 PM
He'll be saying the same thing when the yanks dont resign him after the season.
"Jeter, Sheffield, A-rod, Clark, Posada, Matsui, and Bernie just couldn't give me enough run support. If only Giambi were healthy...."
:eloaiza:

"Can we get Soriano back? I can't do it all."

:ozzie

"I'll tell you wat...you not good no more. That cutter is only goo for cutting el pan."

JoseCanseco6969
08-02-2004, 03:38 PM
I hope Loaiza and his clean shaven face gets shelled on wednesday for that load of BS! no run support my @$$!!

Erik The Red
08-02-2004, 03:41 PM
:ozzie

"I'll tell you wat...you not good no more. That cutter is only goo for cutting el pan." :rolling:

SomebodyToldMe
08-02-2004, 03:52 PM
He's just upset because he didn't get as much run support as Buehrle.
not enough run support?!

grrr.

and porkchopexpress, GREAT sig...Big Trouble in Little China is a classic.

Deadguy
08-02-2004, 04:18 PM
I remember Loaiza's Navarro-esque rant about not getting enough run support in the Sunday Night game against the Mariners, in which Billy Koch blew the game.

It's pretty weak to slam the 9 guys in the lineup for not giving you "enough" run support to win the game. What exactly is the pitcher implying in those situations? That the position players aren't giving 100%? The Sox were facing Jamie Moyer, who was a 20 game winner the year before, and they did put Loaiza in a position to win the game. It was Koch who messed up.

Over By There
08-02-2004, 04:25 PM
You don't go 9-5 with an almost 5 ERA without some run support, Esty!

sendimjoey
08-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Maybe Matt Clement and Freddy Garcia can explain to Loiaza what a lack of run support is. What a stupid thing to say. He's been making excuses all year long.

wdelaney72
08-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Let's not forget his loss of velocity and his refusal to pitch around both sides of the plate.

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/2004/WillsSM.jpg (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2607)"Drill-Rod"

RKMeibalane
08-02-2004, 05:11 PM
I think this tells us all we need to know about Loaiza. If he honestly belives the Sox weren't giving him enough run support, then he's obviously more interested in padding his own stats than he is in winning games. Honestly, if I were in his shoes, I would happy with a 9-5 record, especially considering how poorly he has pitched recently. I agree with PHG- this sounds exactly like what Navarro said five years ago. Wow. Just wow.

mcfish
08-02-2004, 05:25 PM
I think this tells us all we need to know about Loaiza. If he honestly belives the Sox weren't giving him enough run support, then he's obviously more interested in padding his own stats than he is in winning games. Honestly, if I were in his shoes, I would happy with a 9-5 record, especially considering how poorly he has pitched recently. I agree with PHG- this sounds exactly like what Navarro said five years ago. Wow. Just wow.
Anyone think that maybe he's just trying to make himself look better in his first interview with the New York Times? Maybe not, but it is possible that he had no ill intent toward the Sox, but instead to explain something about his stats, isn't it? The guy gave us the best year of his life, let's let him go in peace, whatever he's saying to the NY media.