PDA

View Full Version : Burnitz in a waiver trade?

Region Sox
08-02-2004, 12:24 PM
I am not sure if he is in Colorado's plans, KW has traded a few times with the Rockies in the past, and he would bring some pop to the lineup. I don't know his cost, contract or any of that, and yes K's might be a negative. If not Burnitz any other possible waiver deals?

Soxzilla
08-02-2004, 12:30 PM
Jason Kendall.

JB98
08-02-2004, 12:34 PM
I'd rather have someone who can bat first or second in the lineup than another all or nothing slugger like Burnitz.

Region Sox
08-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Jason Kendall.
I didn't know he was only 30 either. HE might be a guy who could play a few years. True being 30 is like being 37 in "catcher years", but in the AL he could get some off time to play as a DH. He has always been a good hitter. Weren't the Pirates even talking about him playing 2B a few years back?

onenine19
08-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Jason Kendall.Whats his contract status? how many years & how much $$$
I think he would be a perfect fit on the southside leading off!

skobabe8
08-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Burnitz....:(:

Kendall....:D:

MisterB
08-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Whats his contract status? how many years & how much $$$
He's owed $34M over the next 3 years.

soxtalker
08-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Jason Kendall.
Has there been any indication that KW has looked at (talked to the Pirates about) Jason Kendall as a possible acquisition. There are obviously several members of WSI who have been pushing for this, but does is there any reason to believe that KW shares that interest?

Soxzilla
08-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Whats his contract status? how many years & how much $$$
Like the guy above me said, a lot of bucks.

He is in a contract up to 2007, he makes about 8.5 million this year, and I believe the contract goes to 14 million in 2007.

With the revenue we are making in ticket sales, and the fact I hope we aren't resigning magglio ordonez. I would love to have jason kendall on my team, of course I'm not spending my money.:rolleyes:

It's all up to Uncle Jerry.

P.S.-If we can get kendall without giving up anything significant, and frank comes back before august is over, we are a serious playoff-ws contender. You have to think the bad times are over at this point in the season.

Soxzilla
08-02-2004, 03:29 PM
Has there been any indication that KW has looked at (talked to the Pirates about) Jason Kendall as a possible acquisition. There are obviously several members of WSI who have been pushing for this, but does is there any reason to believe that KW shares that interest?
Someone said the daily southtown reported there was interest expressed by kw and the pirates organization, but Kendall wouldn't waive his no trade clause.

However, I believe that was a mix up of the recent carlos delgado trade talks that kenny williams was pursuing. You gotta believe that kenny has been in talks with pirates management, hell they owe us for the abomination that was todd ritchie.

StepsInSC
08-02-2004, 03:32 PM
I am not sure if he is in Colorado's plans, KW has traded a few times with the Rockies in the past, and he would bring some pop to the lineup. I don't know his cost, contract or any of that, and yes K's might be a negative. If not Burnitz any other possible waiver deals?NO NO NO NO

Burnitz's 2004 Stats

Home (i.e. COORS FIELD)
.363 avg, 19 HRs, 54 RBIs, 1.196OPS in 182 ABs

Away
.249 avg, 9HRs, 27 RBIs, .805 OPS in 177 ABs

I reiterate: NO NO NO.

Dadawg_77
08-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Someone said the daily southtown reported there was interest expressed by kw and the pirates organization, but Kendall wouldn't waive his no trade clause.

However, I believe that was a mix up of the recent carlos delgado trade talks that kenny williams was pursuing. You gotta believe that kenny has been in talks with pirates management, hell they owe us for the abomination that was todd ritchie.
Hey if the Pirates waive him and Sox pick him up, what effect would a no trade clause have on the deal? Could Kendall waive the waiver?

sendimjoey
08-02-2004, 03:39 PM
NO NO NO NO

Burnitz's 2004 Stats

Home (i.e. COORS FIELD)

Away

This is a moot point because Burnitz told the Rockies he would only go to a West Coast team anyway. But do you think Burnitz's road numbers are worse than running Ross Gload (.694 OPS) and Timo Perez (.643) out there? And those numbers include their at-bats at the hitter-happy Cell. I'm not saying that the Sox should give up somebody like Diaz, Sweeney, Anderson, etc., for him, but if Burnitz would be available at a reasonable price, he would be a big upgrade, even if you assume that he loses all of the Coors advantage at the Cell, which is a big assumption.

FightingBillini
08-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Hey if the Pirates waive him and Sox pick him up, what effect would a no trade clause have on the deal? Could Kendall waive the waiver?
Yes. I dont know exactly how it works, but remember back to last year. The Cubs tried to get Palmiero before the deadline, and he said he didnt have enough time to think about it. They then tried to reaquire him before August 31, but he decided not to go.

Flight #24
08-02-2004, 04:48 PM
Yes. I dont know exactly how it works, but remember back to last year. The Cubs tried to get Palmiero before the deadline, and he said he didnt have enough time to think about it. They then tried to reaquire him before August 31, but he decided not to go.
I thought no-trade clauses were just that....the ability to prevent a trade. if a team waives you, IIRC you have 2 options: retire, or go play for whoever claims you. You can't refuse to be waived, and you don't become an FA.

What usually happens with these type of high-salaried players is that they clear waivers, making them eligible to be traded by their old team. Then the no-trade does become a factor.

Kendall would still likely retain the no-trade power because if the Sox were to put in a waiver claim, the Pirates would almost certainly let him go, and we'd be stuck with his full contract. If we work out a trade, then we can get PIT to eat some salary.

And As for the Southtown report, I think they got mixed up because I've seen it corroborated the Delgado refused to waive his no-trade, but not Kendall. I'd think that if we worked out a trade, Jason would come here. Why wouldn't he leave a perennial bottom-dweller that's been aching to get rid of him to join a playoff contender in a larger market?

Gimm
08-02-2004, 05:17 PM
NO NO NO NO

Burnitz's 2004 Stats

Home (i.e. COORS FIELD)

Away

I reiterate: NO NO NO.If he were playing at USCF, his splits would be as following:

Home:

320, 15 HR, 45 RBI, 1000 OPS

Away:

250, 10 HR, 30 RBI, 830 OPS.

He is no worse a RF than Kendall a catcher defensively.

Yes, he is not an OBP man, but I would rather Sox committ 1.25 Mill a year to Burnitz than 10 (or even 7) Mill a year for Kendall.

This year, Burnitz is simply a better and a MUCH cheaper player than Kendall.

The money that you don't spend on Kendall could be used to pry Vidro away from the Expos, or maybe even talk Delgado into clearing waivers later on. Or some such.

Yes, I'd rather have Zaun + Burnitz + Vidro than Kendall.

illinibk
08-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Yes, I'd rather have Zaun + Burnitz + Vidro than Kendall.
Too bad Vidro isn't available since he signed an extension earlier this year.

What is the big deal about Burnitz? Don't the Sox already have an all or nothing left-handed free swinger?

Gimm
08-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Too bad Vidro isn't available since he signed an extension earlier this year.
He may have signed an extension alright, but his availability is another story.

And you can substitute some other All-Star for Vidro in my equation.

What is the big deal about Burnitz? Don't the Sox already have an all or nothing left-handed free swinger
He is on pace to 125 RBI. He can play a solid RF. Makes 1.25 Mill.
We have Timo Gload. Need more?

And there ain't nothing wrong with being a free-swinger as long as you drive them runners in. And Burnitz is certainly doing that this year.

But I am guessing, you're much happier with Borchard. Good for you.

chaz171
08-02-2004, 07:05 PM
A Left handed hitting lead off man with some speed a glove and can play Short?????

Or a relever doesn't walk the First batter.

Or a catcher with an arm and a bat....oh wait......

WHarris13
08-02-2004, 07:07 PM
NO MORE COORS FIELD POSTS!
The Cell yields more homers than Coors!

gosox41
08-03-2004, 08:04 AM
NO NO NO NO

Burnitz's 2004 Stats

Home (i.e. COORS FIELD)

Away

Just out of curiosity, have you seen Timo and Ross Gload's stats as RFer's?

Bob

MisterB
08-03-2004, 09:50 AM
NO MORE COORS FIELD POSTS!
The Cell yields more homers than Coors!That has to do mostly with the performances of the Sox and Rockies themselves this season. Slapping a roof on the Cell may have changed wind patterns, but let's wait for more than half a season of data before we dub it a better homer park than Coors. Even with all the HRs hit on the southside Coors still averages 2.5 more runs per game (tops in the majors and 1.5 runs better than #2 Arlington) and the combined batting average in games there is .309, 26 points higher than Arlington and 31 pts higher than the Cell. There's more to those inflated offensive numbers than just the HRs.

StepsInSC
08-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Just out of curiosity, have you seen Timo and Ross Gload's stats as RFer's?

Bob
True. And after seeing his relatively low salary, maybe he wouldn't be a bad pickup. But he is also hitting 120 points lower at home and his OBP is 120 points lower as well, for whatever reason. Another free swinger isn't exactly what the doctor ordered IMO, but I will concede it beats what we got.

Gimm
08-03-2004, 09:00 PM
.And after seeing his relatively low salary
He is dirt cheap. If Sox were to get him now, they'd pay but a few 100K.

If Sox aren't prepared to pay that, then concede the season - or at least stop feeding us the "committed to winning" crapola.