PDA

View Full Version : Look out for the tribe

joeynach
08-02-2004, 11:27 AM
They are just 1.5 games behind us and are one the way up, opposite to us on the way down. They match up much much better against us and other teams with their personell. We have to 2 good starters as do they. I guess i can say our 3, 4, and 5 our better than theirs, and thats about it. Our bullpen has been pretty crappy since June 1 and they have no bullpen so thats a wash, especially coming of 2 back to back losses via walks. At this point i would look for them to probably wind up finishing over .500 and in 2nd place. Look out for them over Minny next year as well.

C Martinez vs. Burke/Alomar.............Cle
1B Broussard vs. Konerko..................Sox
2B Harris/Uribe vs. Belliard................Cle
SS Valentin vs. Vizquel.....................Cle
3B Blake vs. Crede..........................Cle
LF Lee vs. Lawton..........................wash
CF Rowand vs. Gerut........................Sox
RF Borchad/Perez vs. Crisp................Cle
DH Evertt vs. Hafner.......................Cle

P...........Sox (slightly)
Bullpen...Wash

Cle better at 6 postions, Sox at 3, Tie at 2

Ouch!!

npdempse
08-02-2004, 11:31 AM
They are just 1.5 games behind us and are one the way up, opposite to us on the way down. They match up much much better against us and other teams with their personell. We have to 2 good starters as do they. I guess i can say our 3, 4, and 5 our better than theirs, and thats about it. Our bullpen has been pretty crappy since June 1 and they have no bullpen so thats a wash, especially coming of 2 back to back losses via walks. At this point i would look for them to probably wind up finishing over .500 and in 2nd place. Look out for them over Minny next year as well.

Bullpen...Wash

Ouch!!
Doesn't seem fair to our Sox to ignore the fact that Frank will return, as will Maggs or some upgrade next year.

But, yeah, Cleveland's putting together a nice young team there. When do they get rid of Vizquell?

mjmcend
08-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Bullpen a wash?

They have the worst bullpen in the majors. Maybe all time. They have 18 saves in 41 oppertunities. Even Billy wasn't that bad.

Flight #24
08-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Our bullpen in it's worst stretch, is at worst equal to theirs, and we've had some excellent stretches from the guys, that's a big advantage. And the starting pitching isn't a slight advantage, it's a sizeable one. When Frank and/or Maggs comes back, the offenses will be a lot more even too.

WinningUgly!
08-02-2004, 12:20 PM

Bullpen...Wash

Ouch!!
Yeah, they really showed us in Cleveland, about a week & a half ago, when Buehrle & Garcia combined for back to back shutouts against Lee & Sabathia. 17-0, in the 2 game suh-weep.
I'm scared! :)

pudge
08-02-2004, 12:47 PM
You must have missed my thread about two weeks ago.

Sox Mobile
08-02-2004, 12:49 PM
I might be a little cranky/out of sorts/bummed out/ pissed off/ freaked out about how this season is going.

But i cant see the merit in scouring our opponents team for their finer points and coming to any conclusions.

Unless you are an INDIANS FAN.

Especially when we just shut them down and are leading them in games won.

I'm not witcha on this one Joey, but we all hear a different drummer and cope in different ways.

GO SOX! I'm lQQking forward to a winning series!

wdelaney72
08-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Our Starting Pitching 1-5 is still stronger than theirs. Our bullpen is considerably better.

They do have a nice lineup, though. I'll be more concerned about them next year.

SoxxoS
08-02-2004, 01:39 PM
The Sox can't worry about any team other than their own.

habibharu
08-02-2004, 01:41 PM
i wouldnt be surprised at all if next year, if we dont make some MAJOR changes to this team, we finish in 3rd behind the tribe and the twinkies

WinningUgly!
08-02-2004, 01:41 PM
You must have missed my thread about two weeks ago.
I guess I did.

Flight #24
08-02-2004, 01:43 PM
i wouldnt be surprised at all if next year, if we dont make some MAJOR changes to this team, we finish in 3rd behind the tribe and the twinkies
Twins aren't going to have a great offseason either. Radke, Guzman are FAs, leaving them with a rotation of Santana + a bunch of chumps. They've got some good pitching prospects, but I wouldn't expect any of them to dominate out of the gate.

Offensively, they'll be fine, but our rotation will put theirs to shame.

bigdommer
08-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Yeah, their bullpen is way worse, and their rotation is not as strong 1-5. Also I will take Jose's 22 jacks over Vizquel's slap hitting and defense. Belliard and Uribe have about the same OPS with Belliard's average being trumped by Juan's power, but I would take Juan because he can play SS and 3B.

I understand the point of this tread: the Indians have some good young players and might be on their way back. But even with the injuries, they still aren't better than the Sox.

BTW, Indians are getting worked by the BlueBirds right now.

joeynach
08-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Twins aren't going to have a great offseason either. Radke, Guzman are FAs, leaving them with a rotation of Santana + a bunch of chumps. They've got some good pitching prospects, but I wouldn't expect any of them to dominate out of the gate.

Offensively, they'll be fine, but our rotation will put theirs to shame.
They will probably resign Radke but at a high cost, which for a career 120-110 pitcher with a 4.5 era isn't worth it. He is coming off the back end of a 4 or 5 year deal so he is arbitration eligible. I dont know what the exact rule is but its something like he can only make at least 20% or so more than his previous contract if he resigns with the twins. He is making 10 mil this year. Thats like 1/5 of Minny very "minny" budget.

Nard
08-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Currently getting beaten 6-1 by Lilly and the Blue Jay hitters.

Whoaoaoaoaoa!!!! Watch out for the Tribe!

habibharu
08-02-2004, 01:58 PM

Offensively, they'll be fine, but our rotation will put theirs to shame. theyll probably resign radke to a long term deal. and they got some major studs coming outta their farm system, kubel, restovich,plus morneau will be a full time player, as will cuddyer. they got an amazing bullpen. they might be even better next year!

Flight #24
08-02-2004, 02:08 PM
theyll probably resign radke to a long term deal. and they got some major studs coming outta their farm system, kubel, restovich,plus morneau will be a full time player, as will cuddyer. they got an amazing bullpen. they might be even better next year!
Radke makes 8million. Either he's going to take a paycut or he'll be gone. IIRC, they're talking about possibly cutting payroll from 04 to 05, not increasing. They save 9-10 mil from Mientsdkghskhskhrughsgswicz, Koskie, and Guzman departing, but I have to believe most of that's eaten up with the raises to players like Jones, Hunter, Stewart, Santana, Nathan and pending arb awards to some of their younger players. And their D will take a hit with Guzman & Koskie replaced by ???? (Cuddyer? Punto)?

Our lineup will be as good or better (although they'll still play better small ball). Our rotation will be better. If we can get a solid middle reliever, our pen will be close.

SoxxoS
08-02-2004, 02:09 PM
theyll probably resign radke to a long term deal. and they got some major studs coming outta their farm system, kubel, restovich,plus morneau will be a full time player, as will cuddyer. they got an amazing bullpen. they might be even better next year!
Studs like Borchard, Crede and Garland? Sans Morneau, pinch me when the others start producing at the major league level.

Flight #24
08-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Studs like Borchard, Crede and Garland? Sans Morneau, pinch me when the others start producing at the major league level.
Plus IIRC, those are OF prospects, and they'll have to be damn awesome to improve on the performances they've gotten this year from Hunter, Jones, & Ford.