PDA

View Full Version : Nomar question for Otis

gosox41
08-02-2004, 11:22 AM
There were rumors on July 31 that the White Sox were in close to trading for Nomar. Being that you have a source within the Red Sox, are these true? If so how close? Last, how much worse could our package have been vs. what the Red Sox actually got.

I know it was a 4 team trade, but the Cubs gave up next to nothing to get him. The Red Sox didn't even address their biggest need, a starting pitcher.

Bob

Tekijawa
08-02-2004, 11:27 AM
I've also heard that we had a trade for Delgado in place but he nixed it? Anyone else know anything about this?

Mickster
08-02-2004, 11:28 AM
I've also heard that we had a trade for Delgado in place but he nixed it? Anyone else know anything about this?
Yes. It is absolutely true.

SoxxoS
08-02-2004, 11:42 AM
What/who were we going to give up for Delgado? Anyone know or have an idea?

I was thinking Konerko, but then I thought we would keep Konerko/Delgado and have Pauly DH, and then just not resign Thomas...:?:

CHISOXFAN13
08-02-2004, 11:47 AM
What/who were we going to give up for Delgado? Anyone know or have an idea?

I was thinking Konerko, but then I thought we would keep Konerko/Delgado and have Pauly DH, and then just not resign Thomas...:?:

Unless I'm mistaken, Delgado is a free agent and wuld have been strictly a rental.

SoxxoS
08-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, Delgado is a free agent and wuld have been strictly a rental.
I think you are, I thought he is owed a lot of money over the next couple of years..

Mickster
08-02-2004, 11:50 AM
I think you are, I thought he is owed a lot of money over the next couple of years..
Nope. Contract ends this year. He's a FA.

CHISOXFAN13
08-02-2004, 12:12 PM

Delgado is in the final year of a four-year deal that is paying him 18.5 mildo this season.

SoxxoS
08-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Delgado is in the final year of a four-year deal that is paying him 18.5 mildo this season.
Wow. That would have been a nice bat to add.

Imagine if Frank and Magglio came back. We could of had a lineup of:

Rowand CF
Thomas DH
Delgado at 3B!
Ordonez RF
Konerko 1B
Lee LF
Valentin SS
Uribe 2B
Davis C

On a more serious note, since we were going after Delgado, it's pretty obvious that Thomas isn't coming back.

Mickster
08-02-2004, 12:19 PM
On a more serious note, since we were going after Delgado, it's pretty obvious that Thomas isn't coming back.
How so? Delgado was going to be a rental. Besides, Frank has a player option at $8M for next year so unless he thinks he can get that or more from another team looking to add a DH, then it a done deal that he will be back. I would put the chance at Thomas being back at 95%.

SoxxoS
08-02-2004, 12:20 PM
How so? Delgado was going to be a rental. Besides, Frank has a player option at $8M for next year so unless he thinks he can get that or more from another team looking to add a DH, then it a done deal that he will be back. I would put the chance at Thomas being back at 95%.
There would be 2 positions for 3 players, it KW seriously thought Frank could come back. Where you going to play Delgado if 1B and DH are taken? You can't sit a 9 million dollar player on the bench.

Mickster
08-02-2004, 12:27 PM
There would be 2 positions for 3 players, it KW seriously thought Frank could come back. Where you going to play Delgado if 1B and DH are taken? You can't sit a 9 million dollar player on the bench.Delgado discussions happened before Everett. Might have also lead to a Konerko deal????

Flight #24
08-02-2004, 12:29 PM
There would be 2 positions for 3 players, it KW seriously thought Frank could come back. Where you going to play Delgado if 1B and DH are taken? You can't sit a 9 million dollar player on the bench.
I think you guys are confusing Thmas returning NEXT year (which is virtually guaranteed due to the player option) with Thomnas returning this year (which is questionable).

I think KW's thinking was that Frank's likely out or at least somewhat inhibited for this year, so Delgado effectively replaces him. Or if Frank's back full speed, you may be able to sneak Carlos through waivers and send him elsewhere. Then after this year, he's FA and Frank's back.

munchman33
08-02-2004, 12:58 PM
Make that 100%. His agent isn't that foolish. He won't find more after an injured season. And he's a ten and five guy, so he'd have to approve any trade. Not likely.

otis
08-02-2004, 02:02 PM
I have a call into my guy to get details about the trade. I will post when I have something

gosox41
08-03-2004, 09:09 AM
I have a call into my guy to get details about the trade. I will post when I have something
Thanks a lot Otis.

Bob

Foulke29
08-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Wow. That would have been a nice bat to add.

Imagine if Frank and Magglio came back. We could of had a lineup of:

Rowand CF
Thomas DH
Delgado at 3B!
Ordonez RF
Konerko 1B
Lee LF
Valentin SS
Uribe 2B
Davis C

:redneck You do realize that Delgado came up as a Catcher. We could still keep Crede in the line-up and have Delgado catch.

Tekijawa
08-03-2004, 04:43 PM
:redneck You do realize that Delgado came up as a Catcher. We could still keep Crede in the line-up and have Delgado catch.
That's not going to happen... I believe that an ***official Fans of Ben Davis*** thread has been started