PDA

View Full Version : Jim Hendry, the mast of taking advantage of GM's!

joeynach
08-02-2004, 10:59 AM
Everyone, especially in the media likes to view Hendry as this master of trades and such. To me all he is going is waiting for a team to have a problem with its personell, payroll, etc and then going in for the kill. How can he be this master gm wizard guy. He just throws $$ at D Lee, Maddux, Wood, and others. How hard could it be when your budget is near 100 mil and climbing. Give him KW budget and see how great of deals he makes then. All Hendry does is wait for a team to be down and then he kicks them. Last year the pirates had Ramirez/Lofton/Simon all with fairly large contracts and stuck in the losing pithole of Pitt. So magic man Hendry comes along sees that the Pirates cant really afford this guys in a salary dump and exploits there financial and team situation by taking probably there 3 best players for a sack of balls. What did he give up jose hernandez and a couple minor league scrubs. Are you kidding me. He just took advantage of Pitt. And how he does the same to Boston. Boston has been having a problem with Nomar since the offseason with the whole broken trade for A-Rod. Nomar wanted to be a FA, then he didn't but wanted more $$. Then Boston didn't want give him $$, then some of the players didn't want his attitude around anymore ya da ya da. Nevertheless its a soap opera of a clubhouse cancer. So once again the wizard Jim Hendry comes in and offers a package of crap to get the higest talented player in Boston. Hendry gives up something that will never be anything in his farm system and one of the worst SS in cubs history and gracefully "took" Nomar (.320 hitter) off Boston's shoulders, getting Boston to be happy with Cabrera (.248 hitter) and Doug M (.255 hitter). *** if i was a GM in baseball Jim Hendry would be Darth frikin Vader. Seriously every GM in baseball should view Hendry as an evil monster instead of worthy GM. The man has an unlimted source of funds and all he does is magically swoop into situations and "take guys off teams shoulders" that are in controversial instances with managment. WHAT A JOKE!!

KingXerxes
08-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Everyone, especially in the media likes to view Hendry as this master of trades and such. To me all he is going is waiting for a team to have a problem with its personell, payroll, etc and then going in for the kill. How can he be this master gm wizard guy. He just throws $$ at D Lee, Maddux, Wood, and others. How hard could it be when your budget is near 100 mil and climbing. Give him KW budget and see how great of deals he makes then. All Hendry does is wait for a team to be down and then he kicks them. Last year the pirates had Ramirez/Lofton/Simon all with fairly large contracts and stuck in the losing pithole of Pitt. So magic man Hendry comes along sees that the Pirates cant really afford this guys in a salary dump and exploits there financial and team situation by taking probably there 3 best players for a sack of balls. What did he give up jose hernandez and a couple minor league scrubs. Are you kidding me. He just took advantage of Pitt. And how he does the same to Boston. Boston has been having a problem with Nomar since the offseason with the whole broken trade for A-Rod. Nomar wanted to be a FA, then he didn't but wanted more $$. Then Boston didn't want give him $$, then some of the players didn't want his attitude around anymore ya da ya da. Nevertheless its a soap opera of a clubhouse cancer. So once again the wizard Jim Hendry comes in and offers a package of crap to get the higest talented player in Boston. Hendry gives up something that will never be anything in his farm system and one of the worst SS in cubs history and gracefully "took" Nomar (.320 hitter) off Boston's shoulders, getting Boston to be happy with Cabrera (.248 hitter) and Doug M (.255 hitter). *** if i was a GM in baseball Jim Hendry would be Darth frikin Vader. Seriously every GM in baseball should view Hendry as an evil monster instead of worthy GM. The man has an unlimted source of funds and all he does is magically swoop into situations and "take guys off teams shoulders" that are in controversial instances with managment. WHAT A JOKE!!
But isn't this a huge aspect of what a good GM should do?

joeynach
08-02-2004, 11:28 AM
But isn't this a huge aspect of what a good GM should do?
My point is if everyone knows this including other GM's in baseball why would they feed into this. Its like selling WMD to terrorits, duh. Why on earth would you as a GM feed into Hendry's "well let us just take this player of your hands for a bag of balls" thing.

kittle42
08-02-2004, 11:38 AM
My point is if everyone knows this including other GM's in baseball why would they feed into this. Its like selling WMD to terrorits, duh. Why on earth would you as a GM feed into Hendry's "well let us just take this player of your hands for a bag of balls" thing.
Money? The bottom line? I don't know - but this has been going on for years in baseball and probably won't stop - it's just part of the business. Teams do not have to give up major league players or even major league ready players for bona fide talent. Kudos to Hendry (shudder) for getting the most out of other teams, I say.

KingXerxes
08-02-2004, 01:11 PM
My point is if everyone knows this including other GM's in baseball why would they feed into this. Its like selling WMD to terrorits, duh. Why on earth would you as a GM feed into Hendry's "well let us just take this player of your hands for a bag of balls" thing.Come on now. It's not like Hendry is walking into an opposing GM's office with henchmen and saying,

"Either your signature or your brains are going to be all over this trade proposal."

These are all big boys, and they're all trying to out fox each other. That's the nature of the game.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Money talks and you know what walks...

The Sox should learn this lesson.

Lip

joeynach
08-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Money talks and you know what walks...

The Sox should learn this lesson.

Lip
Since when is Boston in a salary dump mode?

KingXerxes
08-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Since when is Boston in a salary dump mode?
I don't think they are in a salary dump mode. I think they wanted to unload Garciaparra and get something for him because he was gone after this year. He was also poisoning their clubhouse if Boston writers are to be believed.

Hangar18
08-02-2004, 04:47 PM
I don't think they are in a salary dump mode. I think they wanted to unload Garciaparra and get something for him because he was gone after this year. He was also poisoning their clubhouse if Boston writers are to be believed.
Well if someone wouldve told me the cubs would have Nomar as a SS, I wouldve said:
A: When Pigs Fly
B: If the RedSox foolishly try to acquire ARod for Nomar, Fail at it, then dangle him in the media and Nomar whines and acts very unprofessionally (lies and tells his team he cant play because of a phantom injury? WHY isnt the media all over him for that?) FORCING the team to just "dump" an Umpteenth all-star, GoldGlove, .320 hitting player.

Make no mistake .......... hendry ISNT the master the chicago media are making him out to be ......... there are a lot of Dumb GM's out there too
(pirates gm/dodgers gm) and hes simply the new School Bully, taking
teams lunch money in the MLB playground

joeynach
08-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Well if someone wouldve told me the cubs would have Nomar as a SS, I wouldve said:
B: If the RedSox foolishly try to acquire ARod for Nomar, Fail at it, then dangle him in the media and Nomar whines and acts very unprofessionally (lies and tells his team he cant play because of a phantom injury? WHY isnt the media all over him for that?) FORCING the team to just "dump" an Umpteenth all-star, GoldGlove, .320 hitting player.

Make no mistake .......... hendry ISNT the master the chicago media are making him out to be ......... there are a lot of Dumb GM's out there too
Thank you. He is merely taking advantage of other teams bad situations.

KingXerxes
08-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Again - Isn't taking advantage of other teams' bad situations all part of being a good GM?

If Pujols and LaRussa got into a big fistfight, and St. Louis wanted Pujols the hell off of the Cardinals -and Kenny Williams was on the spot offering two prospects, which St. Louis took, and the Pujols joined the White Sox and was happy again - you think no credit should go to Kenny Williams?

illiniwhitesox
08-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Be it as it may, he has gotten Nomar, Ramirez, Lofton, Simon, Lee and Maddox without dipping into what many consider to be a minor league program that is among the best in baseball.

I wish the Cubs would have obtained Sammy like players that the moron fans worshipped but failed to deliver in the clutch. These guys are solid players and the Cubs have not depleted their farm system.

I just hope that Wood and Prior, in their next start, throw that magic slider that puts them on the DL for the rest of the year.

bobj4400
08-03-2004, 12:33 PM

Nomar is NOT a gold glove shortstop...

KingXerxes
08-03-2004, 12:34 PM
I just hope that Wood and Prior, in their next start, throw that magic slider that puts them on the DL for the rest of the year.
While I don't consider rooting for injuries to be good form at all, if Prior and Wood went down for the year - Hendry would probably land Randy Johnson and Barry Zito for some old Ron Santo Pizza boxes.

brewerfan
08-03-2004, 01:43 PM
"I just hope that Wood and Prior, in their next start, throw that magic slider that puts them on the DL for the rest of the year."

I now know why Cubs fans think that White Sox fans have no class. Jesus.

JB98
08-03-2004, 01:53 PM
"I just hope that Wood and Prior, in their next start, throw that magic slider that puts them on the DL for the rest of the year."

I now know why Cubs fans think that White Sox fans have no class. Jesus.
:dtroll: :dtroll:

And God knows Cubs fans are some of the classiest in baseball. Especially when they litter the field with debris every time an umpire's call goes against them.

Trust me, Cubs fans are jumping for joy about the injuries to Frank and Maggs. The hatred and disrespect is a two-way street in this town, no matter what the Cubs fans may tell you when they overrun Miller Park.

joeynach
08-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Again - Isn't taking advantage of other teams' bad situations all part of being a good GM?

If Pujols and LaRussa got into a big fistfight, and St. Louis wanted Pujols the hell off of the Cardinals -and Kenny Williams was on the spot offering two prospects, which St. Louis took, and the Pujols joined the White Sox and was happy again - you think no credit should go to Kenny Williams?Yes i would, but the difference is my GM still wouldn't be known as the advantage taking GM. Jim Hendrys marquee is taking advantage of these other teams at the deadline. Waiting for their situation or become a boiling pot and then swoop in with his lowball of crappy prospects so that the other team at least gets something. If KW acquired Puljos in that manner we would hail him as if its about time. About time he got 1 steal and didn't have to give up our best catcher and outfield prospect. About time he didn't trade our best prospects for a Todd Ritchie and such. Kw makes a lot of moves and trades, some good and some bad. He works hard given our financial situation and gets very creative. Jim Hendry throws unlimited amounts of money at people from this fortune 500 bosses and sits on his hands waiting for the next soap opera to evolve to he can work his SLEAZY magic. "Thats the difference" (sorry dre had to use it)!

Rack Em....Im out Clones!!!!!

CP20
08-03-2004, 05:01 PM
Yes i would, but the difference is my GM still wouldn't be known as the advantage taking GM. Jim Hendrys marquee is taking advantage of these other teams at the deadline. Waiting for their situation or become a boiling pot and then swoop in with his lowball of crappy prospects so that the other team at least gets something. If KW acquired Puljos in that manner we would hail him as if its about time. About time he got 1 steal and didn't have to give up our best catcher and outfield prospect. About time he didn't trade our best prospects for a Todd Ritchie and such. Kw makes a lot of moves and trades, some good and some bad. He works hard given our financial situation and gets very creative. Jim Hendry throws unlimited amounts of money at people from this fortune 500 bosses and sits on his hands waiting for the next soap opera to evolve to he can work his SLEAZY magic. "Thats the difference" (sorry dre had to use it)!

Rack Em....Im out Clones!!!!!So making a trade like that is okay to do once but not again? I don't understand what you're saying. And to whoever said Cubs fans rejoice about Maggs and Frank, I can assure you that most Cubs fans don't worry about Sox injuries any more than the injuries of the Rockies or Phillies or Rangers.

joeynach
08-03-2004, 05:44 PM
So making a trade like that is okay to do once but not again? I don't understand what you're saying. And to whoever said Cubs fans rejoice about Maggs and Frank, I can assure you that most Cubs fans don't worry about Sox injuries any more than the injuries of the Rockies or Phillies or Rangers.
Im saying it seems to be Jim Hendry's repuatation, where as KW's repuatation is a very creative GM who somtimes hits it right sometimes not. KW makes something happen when we need help. Hendry sits and waits for the next firesale or soap opera situation where he can take advantage of another GM. That seems to be the only thing he does, that and sit back and wait to throw $$ at free agents right away. Kw has a strict budget and works as hard as he can to field a good team.

JB98
08-03-2004, 11:46 PM
So making a trade like that is okay to do once but not again? I don't understand what you're saying. And to whoever said Cubs fans rejoice about Maggs and Frank, I can assure you that most Cubs fans don't worry about Sox injuries any more than the injuries of the Rockies or Phillies or Rangers.

That's what you think. The Cubs fans just don't rejoice as outwardly, because they don't want anyone to know they care about the Sox. That would put a huge dent in their notion of self-superiority.

ClaudelSleptHere
08-04-2004, 12:01 AM
I actually think Hendry is doing his job, and doing it pretty well at that. It certainly helps to have a larger budget, but I don't think he's putting a guy to other GM's head. Perhaps other GMs are not hesitant to dump their guys on the Cubs because at least they know they won't have to watch them win the world series.

joeynach
08-04-2004, 10:02 AM
I actually think Hendry is doing his job, and doing it pretty well at that. It certainly helps to have a larger budget, but I don't think he's putting a guy to other GM's head. Perhaps other GMs are not hesitant to dump their guys on the Cubs because at least they know they won't have to watch them win the world series.
We can only hope so.

KingXerxes
08-04-2004, 11:25 AM
That's what you think. The Cubs fans just don't rejoice as outwardly, because they don't want anyone to know they care about the Sox. That would put a huge dent in their notion of self-superiority.
If they don't rejoice outwardly (or as outwardly) then I must ask an obvious question:

If there is no evidence of joy - as noted by a lack of outward rejoicing - then how could one state that the joy exists to the level of those who outwardly rejoice, or even exist at all?

mdep524
08-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Um, if he's just taking advantage of another team, don't the 28 other teams in the league have the same opportunity? I personally think Jim Hendry is a great GM. He is OPPORTUNISTIC- he knows good situations and he jumps all over them. I like that. He's like the one guy at the Hold 'Em table that is disciplined enough to fold a lot of hands and then make a huge win by risking little with a great hand, whereas KW is like the guy who bets high in every hand. (I like KW too.)

I mean come on:

Todd Hundley for Gruds., Karros
Choi for Lee
Bobby Hill and Joses hernandez for Lofton, Simon and Ramirez!!
now this Nomar trade...

He's gotten his ENTIRE infield via trade...and given up virtually nothing at all!

You gotta admire this guy. Of the whole classless Cubs organization which I do not like from Dusty Baker on down to the Sham and Zambrano, the one guy I admire the most over there is Hendry.

joeynach
08-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Um, if he's just taking advantage of another team, don't the 28 other teams in the league have the same opportunity? I personally think Jim Hendry is a great GM. He is OPPORTUNISTIC- he knows good situations and he jumps all over them. I like that. He's like the one guy at the Hold 'Em table that is disciplined enough to fold a lot of hands and then make a huge win by risking little with a great hand, whereas KW is like the guy who bets high in every hand. (I like KW too.)

I mean come on:

Todd Hundley for Gruds., Karros
Choi for Lee
Bobby Hill and Joses hernandez for Lofton, Simon and Ramirez!!
now this Nomar trade...

He's gotten his ENTIRE infield via trade...and given up virtually nothing at all!

You gotta admire this guy. Of the whole classless Cubs organization which I do not like from Dusty Baker on down to the Sham and Zambrano, the one guy I admire the most over there is Hendry.
When you think about all those situations rationally all he did was exploit the situations that had become public soap operas. Its not like Hendry was going after those guys. He just entered the picture when the situation had become where the players had to leave their teams becuase of bad contracts and or drama. So here comes big bad hendry who can take on unlimited payroll with his endless budget and just happens to give the minimum so at least the other team can say they got something. He doesn't really seem to be a zen master concoting great schemes with very creative touches to get who he wants. He either throws money at them which is company has an abundance of offers the least of "something" so they other team doesn't end up with nothing.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2004, 12:21 PM
JoeyNach:

I understand your frustration, but I think it's aimed at the wrong target.

Hendry has brought professionalism to a bottom-feeding organization that just happens to play in the PR-campaign created "Golden Goose" that is the Urinal. He's turned a perennial loser into a consistent winner. As a jealous Sox fan, I hate it, but I can't blame him for operating from a position of strength in the MLB.

The real evil in the game is the economic system. It's evil comes from the fact that eventually the gross disparity could kill Major League Baseball as we know it. :angry:

As a Sox fan, I hate the Cubs, the Urinal, the fact that they are winning, the Tribune Company, Sosa, Nomar, Dusty and Bud Selig. I also hate that the economic system allows the Cubs to flourish. But I don't hate Hendry.