PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Sox Makeup?

joeynach
08-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Looking into next year becuase i believe this year is all but over what will our lineup look like. Loiaza is gone, i hope Jose will be too. Im sick of his streakyness and low average even if he does bring HR's. I think we will see a new catcher and a new middle infielder, either 2B or 3B. In addition i think we could see a Jacque Jones type or maybe Jermaine Dye in RF next year, not a big superstar, but a good replacement. Guys like Harris/Uribe/Gload/Boarchard should all be bench players at this level with there .250 avg's at best. Also given our budget look for a few decent arms to be added to the rotation and pen. Look for Cory Lidle's, Paul Wilson, Scott Wiliamson, Carl Pavano's, Brad Penny's, etc. I think we have about 20 mil to spend for an 05 budget w/o Maggs.

SS we should get is Guzman can get for around 4 to 5 mil per
2B we should get Jerry Hariston Jr/Walker for around 2 to 3 mil per
C we should get is Liberthal/Zaun can get for around 2 mil per
RF we should get Dye/Jones/Catalantto for 3 to 5 mil per
3B we should get (if we are sick of crede) Beltre 5 to 7 per
P we should get Lidle/Pavano for around 3 to 4 mil per
RP we should get Williamson/Baez for 1 to 3 mil per

We could have 1 of each of those guys for around 20 mil in payroll. Add that to everyone in our Lineup that will be back and we look pretty good. Especially since Minny is losing Jones/Guzman/Kosikie and possibly Radke to FA's, and they already lost Doug M. So much for that haunting team chemisty they pride themselves. I would be more worried about cleveland actually getting some pitching next year, as well as detroit. However i do think with the right additions, something we did nothing of this past year, we can be very competetive and frightful in 05.

munchman33
08-02-2004, 09:36 AM
A lot of your prices should be in deep pink.

Evman5
08-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Looking into next year becuase i believe this year is all but over what will our lineup look like. Loiaza is gone, i hope Jose will be too. Im sick of his streakyness and low average even if he does bring HR's. I think we will see a new catcher and a new middle infielder, either 2B or 3B. In addition i think we could see a Jacque Jones type or maybe Jermaine Dye in RF next year, not a big superstar, but a good replacement. Guys like Harris/Uribe/Gload/Boarchard should all be bench players at this level with there .250 avg's at best. Also given our budget look for a few decent arms to be added to the rotation and pen. Look for Cory Lidle's, Paul Wilson, Scott Wiliamson, Carl Pavano's, Brad Penny's, etc. I think we have about 20 mil to spend for an 05 budget w/o Maggs.

We could have 1 of each of those guys for around 20 mil in payroll. Add that to everyone in our Lineup that will be back and we look pretty good. Especially since Minny is losing Jones/Guzman/Kosikie and possibly Radke to FA's, and they already lost Doug M. So much for that haunting team chemisty they pride themselves. I would be more worried about cleveland actually getting some pitching next year, as well as detroit. However i do think with the right additions, something we did nothing of this past year, we can be very competetive and frightful in 05.
I think Pavano is looking for 4 years 30 mil
Beltre is also going to get a huge deal.

Flight #24
08-02-2004, 10:23 AM

So you just added 20mil minimum (and I think some of your prices are low). We already added 28mil via Contreras, Everett, Garcia, and general team raises/arb awards. Salary reductions amount to about 29mil from Maggs, Koch, Valentin, ELo, so you want a payroll increase of 19mil.

There isn't a pink deep enough for that unless the Sox somehow wint he WS this year. And that's coming form a guy who's argued that a decent payroll bump is likely - but 5-10mil, not 20.

jordan23ventura
08-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Beltre is also going to get a huge deal.
Yes, he is. If there was one major franchise player I would like to see this team go after, it would be Carlos Beltran followed closely by Beltre, who would allow us to trade Crede alone or as part of a package for some nice help either at SP, bullpen, or MIF. Either way, both are going to command a nice chunk of change, and LA is probably going to overpay.

On a side note, who would be competition for Beltre? Definately LA, but Boston, Yanks, and Cubs are pretty much set. Houston maybe? Anaheim?

Flight #24
08-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Yes, he is. If there was one major franchise player I would like to see this team go after, it would be Carlos Beltran followed closely by Beltre, who would allow us to trade Crede alone or as part of a package for some nice help either at SP, bullpen, or MIF. Either way, both are going to command a nice chunk of change, and LA is probably going to overpay.

On a side note, who would be competition for Beltre? Definately LA, but Boston, Yanks, and Cubs are pretty much set. Houston maybe? Anaheim?
Anaheim's got a replacement ready in Figgins (and I think they have someone in the minors as well). Dodgers will probably be throwing their $$$ at Nomar.

Houston would probably be the only major market competition. most of the rest of the contenders have 3B or stud prospects. Beltre wouldn't look bad, but I doubt we'll have the available $$$ to go get him.

jordan23ventura
08-02-2004, 04:59 PM

Makes me think of something else. If Beltre could be signed, what about a package of Crede+Harris for Vidro?

jordan23ventura
08-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Anaheim's got a replacement ready in Figgins (and I think they have someone in the minors as well). Dodgers will probably be throwing their $$$ at Nomar.

Houston would probably be the only major market competition. most of the rest of the contenders have 3B or stud prospects. Beltre wouldn't look bad, but I doubt we'll have the available $$$ to go get him.
Man, that Figgins kid can do anything. I thought he was a CF.

doublem23
08-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Man, that Figgins kid can do anything. I thought he was a CF.
I think he's been an adequate player at every position. He's been filling in for Glaus since his injury.

Evman5
08-02-2004, 05:26 PM

There is always competition for franchise players! It might be hard to identify the suitors now, but I am sure there will be 3-5 teams with strong interest. Also is Beltre a Boras client? If he is.............well we all know what that means.