PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else see this stat?

Whitesoxtom
08-02-2004, 12:35 AM
Not sure if this was talked about, but I was watching part of the Braves game today and they put up a graphic. The graphic said that teams ahead 4 1/2 games on August 1st win the division 90% of the time!!!!

Ouch. Not only do we have 2 gaping holes in the lineup, we have to fight a huge statistical disadvantage.

I am not giving up, I still hope the schedule down the stretch does us some favors, but man thats a crappy stat to think about :(

South Side
08-02-2004, 12:37 AM
Where were the Twins at this point last year?

doublem23
08-02-2004, 12:46 AM
The Twins were 3 1/2 games out of first place after August 1, 2003. The Sox and Royals were tied for the division lead.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?date=2003-08-01

South Side
08-02-2004, 12:56 AM
The Twins were 3 1/2 games out of first place after August 1, 2003. The Sox and Royals were tied for the division lead.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?date=2003-08-01

Can that stat be stretched to contradict the other one? :cool:

And anyway, what did being in first Aug. 1st do for us last year? Nothing... I think that if we don't see another physcotic losing streak like this past one... things are going to be a lot different than last year... and I mean that in a positive way.

doublem23
08-02-2004, 01:05 AM
Can that stat be stretched to contradict the other one? :cool:

And anyway, what did being in first Aug. 1st do for us last year? Nothing... I think that if we don't see another physcotic losing streak like this past one... things are going to be a lot different than last year... and I mean that in a positive way.
Well, if it's any consolation, the Twins went on the best tear the rest of the season, playing .667 ball after 8/1/03. However in today's TBGR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=2618), it is noted,

With 2 months left in the season, 5 games are clearly not insurmountable, but the time to fret has arrived. With 58 games remaining, if the Twins go .500 the rest of the season, they will win 88 games this year. The Sox would have to win 35 more games the rest of the season to hit 88, or play at a .583 clip the rest of the year (35-25).
Don't get me wrong, we're in not dead yet, but some things have to fall the Sox's way.

FightingBillini
08-02-2004, 02:08 AM
Well, if it's any consolation, the Twins went on the best tear the rest of the season, playing .667 ball after 8/1/03. However in today's TBGR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=2618), it is noted,

Don't get me wrong, we're in not dead yet, but some things have to fall the Sox's way.
Not only are we not dead, but I think we will win this. Im not saying the Twins will go .500 the rest of the way, but I think we will do better than 35-25.

StockdaleForVeep
08-02-2004, 03:32 AM
Not sure if this was talked about, but I was watching part of the Braves game today and they put up a graphic. The graphic said that teams ahead 4 1/2 games on August 1st win the division 90% of the time!!!!

Ouch. Not only do we have 2 gaping holes in the lineup, we have to fight a huge statistical disadvantage.

I am not giving up, I still hope the schedule down the stretch does us some favors, but man thats a crappy stat to think about :(
and baseball odds were drastically against the marlins winnin the world series as wild card and esp when they were down 3 games to 1 with 4 outs to go and who ended up winning the world series.

Stats like those mean nothing, doesnt matter if someone hits a homerun 99% of the time, its that 1% that will cost you

Nellie_Fox
08-02-2004, 04:10 AM
Not only are we not dead, but I think we will win this. Im not saying the Twins will go .500 the rest of the way, but I think we will do better than 35-25.Based on what? The Sox have only made it to 10 games over .500 once, then went on a 7 game skid. What makes you think they'll do better than 10 over the rest of the way, with Frank and Maggs gone?

skobabe8
08-02-2004, 04:14 AM
Stats, schmatts. The chances of us winning this thing are 10%? I like those odds!!!

ma-gaga
08-02-2004, 09:01 AM
Based on what? Alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol... :gulp: If Frank and Maggs were healthy, maybe. Maybe. This is an easier portion of the schedule, but I cannot believe how much of the W.Sox offense is tied thru those two players.

OG4LIFE
08-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Stats, schmatts. The chances of us winning this thing are 10%? I like those odds!!!
"... more like one in a million..."

"so you're telling me there's a chance....."