PDA

View Full Version : Meet Jose Contreras....

OzzieBall2004
08-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Some useful info on our newly acquired righty...

Pitching & Defense
Contreras' forkball is something to behold. His unnaturally wide grip imparts so little spin that the pitch comes in almost like a low-80s knuckleball, sinking late and hard. With a mid-90s fastball to set it up, he's tough to hit and deadly once he gets ahead. He has the stamina to work deep into games, but apparently was somewhat unfamiliar with the demands of relief work. He's a good fielder who's quick off the mound, but he does little to slow the running game.

Against the AL Central in 2004...

By Opponent ERA W L G GS CG IP H R ER HR BB SO AVG
vs. DET 1.13 1 0 1 1 0 8 4 1 1 0 1 7 .143

At the cell...
USCF 2003 0.00 1 0 1 1 0 8 4 0 0 0 1 9 .148
(Not sure what this tells us, but he pitched well at his new home)

In his 8 wins, he has pitched extremely well most of the time....
@ TB (7 innings, 4 hits, 1 ER)
@ DET (8 innings, 4 hits 1 ER)
TB ( 6.2, 3 hits, 1 ER)
NYM (6 innings, 2 hits, 0 ER)
@ ARI (6.1 innings, 5 hits, 2 ER)
COL (7 innings, 5 hits, 4 ER)
@ BAL (6 innings, 8 hits, 3 ER)
OAK (6 innings, 4 hits, 1 ER)

That translates into a 2.23 ERA in wins, with an average of 6 hits per 9 IP.

He also had a start at Texas where he pitched 6 innings of three hit ball allowing one earned run and got a no decision.

Ultimately, What we know is that when he's good he's real good, and when he's bad, he can be downright awful. I really believe KW saw his tremendous upside and had to pull the trigger on this one. The important thing is, unlike Loaiza who can credit a powerful offense for the bulk of his wins this year, Contreras earned each and every one of his with his quality stuff. Loaiza lives and dies by a cutter thats not there anymore, and cant locate pitches inside effectively and efficiently.
I really believe that once Contreras gets here, gets his family settled and can finally relax in a setting much more laid back than NY, his head will be a lot clearer and he can focus on pitching. Also, with an accomplished, intelligent veteran catcher like Sandy he will be able to work through his struggles and locate his pitches more effectively. With a predominantly Spanish speaking clubhouse as well as a Spanish speaking manager, he's surely to be more comfortable. I really have a good feeling about this deal.
Sure the Garcia deal is clearly the best deal KW has made in his career, this one has the potential to be the biggest in the long run. Loaiza lost something he very likely had for one year and wont have again. Contreras is in the same mold as a Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez type, and has the potential to acheive similar success, as his numbers in his victories indicate.

jordan23ventura
08-01-2004, 10:15 PM
I really have a good feeling about this deal.
Me too. Have fun in NY, E-Lo.

DickAllen72
08-01-2004, 10:19 PM
In his 8 wins, he has pitched extremely well most of the time....
@ TB (7 innings, 4 hits, 1 ER)
@ DET (8 innings, 4 hits 1 ER)
TB ( 6.2, 3 hits, 1 ER)
NYM (6 innings, 2 hits, 0 ER)
@ ARI (6.1 innings, 5 hits, 2 ER)
COL (7 innings, 5 hits, 4 ER)
@ BAL (6 innings, 8 hits, 3 ER)
OAK (6 innings, 4 hits, 1 ER)

That translates into a 2.23 ERA in wins, with an average of 6 hits per 9 IP.

He also had a start at Texas where he pitched 6 innings of three hit ball allowing one earned run and got a no decision.

Ultimately, What we know is that when he's good he's real good, and when he's bad, he can be downright awful.

[B]Some useful info on our newly acquired righty...

Thanks for the informative post.

This looks really good to me. When he's on he's great. When he's off, he's terrible. If he makes a start and appears not to have it that day, Ozzie may do well to give him an early hook, although that doesn't seem to be Ozzie's style. I wonder if that would shake Jose's confidence?

But if he's got his stuff, he looks tough to beat. I would take that approach; if he's pitching well early, sit back and enjoy the ride. If he's getting hit early, yank him quickly.

Kuzman
08-01-2004, 10:50 PM
Last year i picked him up on my fantasy baseball team and he did hoorible out of the gates.. The Yankees demoted him to A ball.. Like stated in the above post, from what ive seen with his numbers this year, hes like Jose Valentin, You'll love him some games and hate him the rest.

Flight #24
08-01-2004, 11:01 PM
Here's the nice thing IMO, since June (when his family came over, IIRC), he's had 3 decent starts (~6IP, 3-4ER), 4 dominant starts (6+IP, 2 or fewer ER), and 3 absolutely horrendous ones.

If he basically wins 4/10 and keeps you in the game 3/10, that's pretty darn good for a #3 starter. That's where he's at right now. If he can improve at all, he'll be a good #2 or possibly a #1.

By my count, that gives us a potentially dominant top 3 starters, and Garland as a still-developing #4 is the best rotation in the division and possibly one of the best in the AL.

idseer
08-01-2004, 11:25 PM

Also, with an accomplished, intelligent veteran catcher like Sandy he will be able to work through his struggles and locate his pitches more effectively.

...Some useful info on our newly acquired righty...
some good info there with maybe some wishful thinking thrown in i think.

one thing that i don't look forward to is the thought that alomar will be his catcher. the man is through! maybe as a coach he can be helpful but i doubt he'll see sandy behind the plate much.

elrod
08-01-2004, 11:43 PM
His victories are against some miserable teams, except Oakland. However, we have some miserable opponents coming up and he'll help us there. Hopefully he'll dominate in KC.

nasox
08-02-2004, 12:28 AM
I have a feeling this may be a wash for this year and then prove to be a great deal in the next two years. I think E-lo will be outta baseball by 2006. Just a gut feeling.

OzzieBall2004
08-02-2004, 12:40 AM
His victories are against some miserable teams, except Oakland. However, we have some miserable opponents coming up and he'll help us there. Hopefully he'll dominate in KC.

Very true...He's pitching in a much weaker division now, and should benefit from that. Hopefully he wont start when we play the BoSox...His numbers against them are downright awful....

HomeFish
08-02-2004, 12:44 AM
Very true...He's pitching in a much weaker division now, and should benefit from that. Hopefully he wont start when we play the BoSox...His numbers against them are downright awful....

Yeah, all those low-pressure Yankee/Boston games...