PDA

View Full Version : Can players smoke??

bafiarocks03
08-01-2004, 08:48 PM
I was wondering if baseball players can smoke?? and if they can, do you guys know anyone on the sox that does??? THanks!!

GO SOX!!:bandance:

SoxFan76
08-01-2004, 08:50 PM
I was wondering if baseball players can smoke?? and if they can, do you guys know anyone on the sox that does??? THanks!!

Mark Grace did/does.

Daver
08-01-2004, 08:56 PM
http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/allyn5.jpg

SoxFan76
08-01-2004, 08:57 PM
:D: That is an awesome picture.

Brian26
08-01-2004, 09:04 PM
I think guys, for the most part, take care of themselves a bit more nowadays than they did 20 or 30 years ago. I think baseball players try to be in better shape now than they used to be.

Of course, nowadays women usually stop smoking when they get pregnant, people stay out of the sun and don't rub babyoil on themselves to get a tan, and people put seatbelts on as soon as they get in the car.

With that being said, there's one Sox player in recent memory that looked like he was smoking SOMETHING:

:hitless

"What's it to you, Whitey?"

RedPinStripes
08-01-2004, 09:09 PM
Times have changed. I doubt there are many players that smoke. Back when Dick allen played, they were still skinny or tubby guys who got in shape by running bases. Dick got his running in after the game when he ran to the track. :D:

Seems that most players take better care of themselves today and i doubt there is smoking in the clubhouse now.

OzzieBall2004
08-01-2004, 09:10 PM
I'd bet money that Freddy and Willie smoke herb...

inta
08-01-2004, 09:16 PM
isn't that what the chewing tobacco is for? so players can get their nicotine without smoking?

illinibk
08-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Probably nowhere near as much as Mike Caruso

StockdaleForVeep
08-01-2004, 09:20 PM
isn't that what the chewing tobacco is for? so players can get their nicotine without smoking?They have to, i think selig would be flustered if he saw his outfielders smokin between pitches, i mean imagine! Athletes promoting smoking! What a horrible thing to show children::Pops dip in mouth::

SoxFanSince67
08-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Going back in times, Roger Maris was a chain smoker as was the long time manager of the Orioles, Earl Weaver.

ssidebeatdown
08-01-2004, 09:57 PM
Has anyone else noticed that willie harris plays with a huge pinch in his mouth and has a tin in each pocket when playing? Maybe this slows him down on the basepath a little bit, I mean DJ said he got his best jump of the year today and he was still out by a good length.

idseer
08-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Has anyone else noticed that willie harris plays with a huge pinch in his mouth and has a tin in each pocket when playing? Maybe this slows him down on the basepath a little bit, I mean DJ said he got his best jump of the year today and he was still out by a good length.

hey, i know this isn't the same color you used but a slight exaggeration to show you the difficulty of reading a thread with this or a similar color. if you've read many posts here lately surely you've seen the many times it's been pointed out that unless you actually use teal it becomes very difficult to read and i'd suggest many people won't even try. they'll simply bypass your post altogether.
teal is pretty easy to find on the chart so why not do yourself and all of us a favor and take the time to find it.
thanks.
:smile:

jabrch
08-01-2004, 10:43 PM
The TP (teal police) are really kicking it into high gear in their assult on the FOEB (Friends of Electric Blue) huh?

hey, i know this isn't the same color you used but a slight exaggeration to show you the difficulty of reading a thread with this or a similar color. if you've read many posts here lately surely you've seen the many times it's been pointed out that unless you actually use teal it becomes very difficult to read and i'd suggest many people won't even try. they'll simply bypass your post altogether.
teal is pretty easy to find on the chart so why not do yourself and all of us a favor and take the time to find it.
thanks.

Rex Hudler
08-01-2004, 10:45 PM

LOL Can they smoke what???

Whitesox029
08-01-2004, 10:52 PM
Yankees players cannot smoke. I have no information that tells me that's true, but how could it not be, the Boss being the Boss?
I would think most players nowadays have it in their contracts that they can't.

Richie Allen evidently didn't.

Saracen
08-01-2004, 10:54 PM
When Grace was still with the Cubs, I remember they had about 10 guys who would smoke in the clubhouse after games. Last chain-smoking Sox player I know of was Charlie Hough.

Whitesox029
08-01-2004, 10:59 PM
thanks.
:smile:I have never had an easier time reading anything in my life, especially when in quote format, on the gray background.

Whitesox029
08-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Going back in times, Roger Maris was a chain smoker as was the long time manager of the Orioles, Earl Weaver.I'm pretty sure the owners don't care even now if the managers choose to smoke because they don't have to do physical activity to help the team. In fact if I remember correctly Jack McKeon smokes cigars all the time.

owensmouth
08-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Back in the fifties Nellie Fox played every game with a huge chaw in his mouth. After the game, first thing he did was to light up a cigar. Of course, a few years after he retired, he died of cancer.

South Side
08-01-2004, 11:31 PM
I would add Ozzie to that list... and maybe Garland.

MrRoboto83
08-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Jim Leyland used to smoke in the dugout all the time, until MLB made it a rule not to smoke in the dugouts.

HomeFish
08-01-2004, 11:51 PM

As long as Everett doesn't get any of that stuff.

WSox8404
08-02-2004, 12:10 AM
thanks.
What?

OurBitchinMinny
08-02-2004, 12:21 AM
As long as Everett doesn't get any of that stuff.
I could see everett being into stronger stuff than herb

Nellie_Fox
08-02-2004, 12:34 AM
Back in the fifties Nellie Fox played every game with a huge chaw in his mouth. When I was a kid, if I had any money, I'd go to the corner store and buy a handful of penny Tootsie Rolls. Then when the pickup baseball game started I'd shove a bunch of them in my mouth so I could have my cheek bulge out and spit brown juice just like Nellie.

fuzzy_patters
08-02-2004, 12:39 AM
He may have quit, but I am pretty sure Robin Ventura was a smoker when he played for the Sox.

jeremyb1
08-02-2004, 01:13 AM

Hehe. I don't want to say too much but it's funny you say that because one of my close friends from the great state of Washington said his friend had a story about Freddy...

South Side
08-02-2004, 01:31 AM
Hehe. I don't want to say too much but it's funny you say that because one of my close friends from the great state of Washington said his friend had a story about Freddy...
Aw come on, you can't leave it like that. :o:

Rex Hudler
08-02-2004, 01:48 AM
Put it this way......... many players througout the Major Leagues smoke cigarettes...... both the normal and left-handed variety.

StockdaleForVeep
08-02-2004, 02:27 AM
When I was a kid, if I had any money, I'd go to the corner store and buy a handful of penny Tootsie Rolls. Then when the pickup baseball game started I'd shove a bunch of them in my mouth so I could have my cheek bulge out and spit brown juice just like Nellie.

What? u did that? Why i would have never guessed :)

skobabe8
08-02-2004, 03:06 AM
I'd bet money that Freddy and Willie smoke herb...:DJ
"Without question."

steff
08-02-2004, 07:51 AM
Of course they can, and several do.

KingXerxes
08-02-2004, 09:22 AM
My favorite baseball player smoking story:

When John Kruk was on the San Diego Padres he was at spring training, leaning on his bat, waiting to take some batting practice. He was also smoking a cigarette. A lady walked up behind him with her son in tow and said, "That's a fine example for an athlete to set - standing there smoking a cigarette on the field." Kruk turned around and looked at the lady and her kid and replied, "Maam, I'm not an athlete, I'm a baseball player."

I suspect quite a few players smoke. I've even heard some of them will have a beer or two during a game - hopefully a game where they're not scheduled to do anything, but who knows.

Paxson93
08-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Willie Harris bummed a smoke off of me in Boston last year. :D:

chisoxfan79
08-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Willie Harris bummed a smoke off of me in Boston last year. :D:
I remember seeing Willie smoke at the bar during 2003 Soxfest.

Irishsox1
08-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Ahhh!!....This is just another reason I would drop this guy. He can't hit, he's got a average glove, he can't run the basepaths and he smokes. What a waste.

bafiarocks03
08-02-2004, 12:19 PM

JOn Garland can't smoke.....just cuz he can't..hes Jon Garland!!! that would be soo horrible!!

bafiarocks03
08-02-2004, 12:21 PM
OH god thats horrible....my willie can't smoke.....thats bad.....oh my willie....

Jerko
08-02-2004, 12:25 PM
Jon and Willie are too young to smoke. Ozzie would ground them and they couldn't play. Hey, that might actually help! Maybe we're on to something here..................

illinibk
08-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Maybe Garland? He looks like a major stoner.

Palehose13
08-02-2004, 12:58 PM
Jon and Willie are too young to smoke. Ozzie would ground them and they couldn't play. Hey, that might actually help! Maybe we're on to something here..................LOL...You know, they are normal ADULT human beings. They wipe their asses like every single one of us. Who gives a flying fart if they smoke or not? Heck, some of my "friends" that I only see at the bar probably think that I am a smoker. However, I don't smoke unless I am at the bar having a few drinks. Many people are the same way. So, if I did see a Sox player at a bar smoking I wouldn't automatically assume that he is a regular "pack a day" smoker. Maybe he is a social or casual smoker. IMO, if Willie asked to bum a smoke off someone, I would assume that he is a "social" smoker because he didn't have his own cigarettes.

Ok, now that you have heard my rant about the misclassification of smokers you may continue... :D:

steff
08-02-2004, 02:44 PM

To his credit, he quit. Now he just has the occasional cigar.

poorme
08-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Another reason why baseball is the best sport - you can smoke and still be good!

Erik The Red
08-02-2004, 03:24 PM
"This is Babe Ruth, also known as the Great Bambino. I smoked twenty-five god**** black Cuban cigars a day, I had meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, I drank beer all day every day of my life, I ****ed eighteen prostitutes a night...

... of course, I'm dead now..."

dickallen15
08-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Beltin Melton is a smoker. Many of the older players smoked. Even the Hawkeroo, who has quit. Most don't today, but there are a few. And speaking of smoking the herb, DJ always looks like he just sucked back a loaded 6 foot graphics.

Whitesox029
08-02-2004, 06:44 PM
I suspect quite a few players smoke. I've even heard some of them will have a beer or two during a game - hopefully a game where they're not scheduled to do anything, but who knows.Perhaps we have finally found the root of the recent problem with Jose Valentin.

Brian26
08-02-2004, 08:14 PM
Does he do that thing where he fake lights the cigarette, and then he really tries to light it, but misses, and on the third attempt the match strikes itself out as he's way too late?

Brian26
08-02-2004, 08:16 PM
To his credit, he quit. Now he just has the occasional cigar.
You scare me sometimes. :D:

SomebodyToldMe
08-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Does he do that thing where he fake lights the cigarette, and then he really tries to light it, but misses, and on the third attempt the match strikes itself out as he's way too late?
ZING!!!

:roflmao: :rolling:

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-02-2004, 11:03 PM
Perhaps we have finally found the root of the recent problem with Jose Valentin.
ROFLMAO

illinibk
08-02-2004, 11:14 PM
On the third attempt, does the match go out before it is even close to the cigarette?

mymanmaggs30
08-03-2004, 09:53 AM
does magglio smoke??? it is gross and disgusting if they smoke!! ewwwww!!!:(:

steff
08-03-2004, 12:15 PM
You scare me sometimes. :D:

Mission accomplished. :wink:

BTW dickallen15, Bill quit some time ago IIRC. He wasn't smoking the past 2 times I have been out with him, or last year at the end of September - although that was when we celebrated my birthday and I may have forgotten some of that night.. :rolleyes:

steff
08-03-2004, 12:15 PM

No.

TimoPerez
08-03-2004, 01:58 PM
I know my boy Timo wouldn't smoke. Am I correct?

stillz
08-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Danny Pasqua smoked herb - IIRC:D:

fledgedrallycap
08-03-2004, 02:25 PM
I know numerous managers smoke, but usually retire to the tunnels or clubhouse to get a few drags rather than do it in the dugout. I'm sure there is an rule in the vast bible of MLB that states it can't be done in visible camera angles (preventative measures against lawsuits: encouraging the youth of America)

wdelaney72
08-03-2004, 02:50 PM
I have nothing to back this story up, so read with a grain of salt.

A young, nice looking girl attended a Sox game with Jon Garland pitching. After being taken back by his handome good looks, she opted to write her name and phone number down on a piece of paper and toss it to him.

He eventually called her and they hooked up. She was amazed by the fact that Garland and Buehrle were huge pot heads.

Just a story I heard.

ewokpelts
08-03-2004, 04:02 PM
I have nothing to back this story up, so read with a grain of salt.

A young, nice looking girl attended a Sox game with Jon Garland pitching. After being taken back by his handome good looks, she opted to write her name and phone number down on a piece of paper and toss it to him.

He eventually called her and they hooked up. She was amazed by the fact that Garland and Buehrle were huge pot heads.

Just a story I heard.this happen BEFORE he met his girlfriend?
Gene

the_valenstache
08-03-2004, 04:05 PM

:o: What's next? Athletes having extramarital affairs?

hose
08-03-2004, 04:42 PM
ESPN Classic had a interview with Don Larsen on yesterday and they were talking about his perfect game in the World Series.

Larsen said while he was sitting in the dugout he lit up a cigarette and mentioned to Mickey Mantle that he had a no hitter going. Mantle got up and walked away not wanting to figure in on a jink.

Just guessing but I would say 1/2 the US adult population smoked either cigars, pipes , or cigarettes before much was known about lung cancer.

Jerko
08-04-2004, 10:03 AM
this happen BEFORE he met his girlfriend?
Gene
It probably IS his girlfriend.

Baby Fisk
08-04-2004, 10:11 AM
IIRC, former Sox knuckleballer Charlie Hough also used to enjoy partaking of fine tobacco products. I remember this because Nolan Ryan (king of personal conditioning) once encountered Hough outside a stadium having a smoke and mentioned being shocked about it in his autobiography or some other book.