PDA

View Full Version : *offical* Ben Davis Improvement Thread

gobears1987
08-01-2004, 06:57 PM
I am pleased to see the improvements made in recent games by Ben Davis. He was hitting nothing before the All Star break, but since he seems to have improved alot. That was evident in today's win and in the Oakland game where he got that nice RBI. He was good before going to SEattle so I think their coaching staff ****ed up is swing. I think the Sox coaches may have fixed it.

Evman5
08-01-2004, 07:01 PM
I think some of his imporvement has to do with the fact that he actually has had a couple days in a row where he played. It is hard for players to succeed without consistent playing time.

Nard
08-01-2004, 07:57 PM
He kinda sounds like he's evolving as a leader in the clubhouse, based on the sound of some of the quotes he's giving to the media.

When he was included in the Freddy trade, I thought his funny-hair ass was gonna get sent down immediately. But I'm glad he's improved his swing and is feeling like a real part of the team now.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040801/capt.dts10408011926.white_sox_tigers_dts104.jpg

gobears1987
08-01-2004, 08:15 PM
He kinda sounds like he's evolving as a leader in the clubhouse, based on the sound of some of the quotes he's giving to the media.

When he was included in the Freddy trade, I thought his funny-hair ass was gonna get sent down immediately. But I'm glad he's improved his swing and is feeling like a real part of the team now.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040801/capt.dts10408011926.white_sox_tigers_dts104.jpg
Does anyone agree with my assessment that the Seattle coaches did something that ****ed him up as he was good before going there and improved since leaving

SoxFan76
08-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Nard: I misread your post. I thought you said Davis has funny ass hair. I was confused to say the least. Fortunately I quickly found out what you meant. :smile:

jordan23ventura
08-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Nard: I misread your post. I thought you said Davis has funny ass hair. I was confused to say the least. Fortunately I quickly found out what you meant. :smile:
"Funny ass hair?" *****.

StockdaleForVeep
08-01-2004, 09:22 PM
Now theres 2 sides to this, either ben davis is doin real good\better now or our team is hitting so bad that he's the only bright spot.....

gobears1987
08-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Davis makes me forget about Miggy. Miguel who?

milrtyme28
08-02-2004, 12:11 AM
funny "ass hair" ? or "funny ass" hair? :?: :D:

nice to see ben step up. maybe he will turn into a productive part of this team. he was pretty good back in the day right?

Mickster
08-02-2004, 09:51 AM
We went to the games this past weekend in Detroit and had a chance to see Ben in batting practice. Let me tell you that he can hit. Plain and simple. He was launching HR's from both sides of the plate on a consistant basis. As a matter of fact, we spoke with him Saturday night and commented on the fact that he was swinging the bat very well Saturday during BP. He kinda joked around with us and said that he's felling pretty good at the plate. I honestly think he's improving with every game. Don't be surprised that Ben might be our everyday catcher next year.

SoxxoS
08-02-2004, 09:52 AM
Don't be surprised that Ben might be our everyday catcher next year.
I'll be as skeptical with that statement as I was with Uribe being our full time SS next year.

poorme
08-02-2004, 10:11 AM
I think he could hit .240, 18 homers if he plays every day. Not bad on defense. At least if the ball hits his bat it might go out of the park.

gosox41
08-02-2004, 10:15 AM
I'll be as skeptical with that statement as I was with Uribe being our full time SS next year.
I'm not skeptcial of that statement at all. And it's not because I think Ben Davis is going to be great, he isn't. But there are other reasons he can be our everyday catcher:

1. Not much catching talent available, and the Sox probably don't want to overpay for Kendall.

2. How many times can you bring back Sandy Alomar? There's nothing worse then signing a bad, washed up free agent once except for resigning him a second and third time. His greatness of handling the pitching staff doesn't make up for his lack of hitting. If he's so good with the pitchers and is a veteran presence make him a coach.

3. KW is our GM. We've had the same gaping holes since he's been here, why change now?

That being said, I think the Sox need to pick an everyday catcher and stick with him so they can see what they have for next year. Ben Davis seems like the obvious choice to me, so let's see how he does this year, since barring a miracle comeback by Frank and/or Magglio we're not going to see playoff baseball anyway.

Maybe Davis will have more heart then some of his teammates.

Bob

Foulke You
08-02-2004, 12:01 PM
I wish the Sox would go with the catching duo of Burke/Davis and just have Sandy call games from the bench. I really believe this has to be the last year for Alomar. Alomar can't hit, can't throw anyone out anymore, and can barely run. Sandy's best days are behind him. Both Davis and Burke have strong arms, with a slight edge to Burke in the arm dept. Burke seems to be a better hitter than Davis but Davis can switch hit which makes him valuable as a platoon partner for Burke and he seems to have more power than Burke. Also, Davis and Garcia seem to click well together and since Garcia is going to be around for another 3 years, it seems logical to keep Davis around at least as a backup catcher. With our team struggling for offense and having opponents steal bases at will because our pitchers are doing a poor job of keeping the runners close, I'd rather go with the duo of Burke and Davis on a consistent basis. They give us a better chance to win.

The Wimperoo
08-03-2004, 09:52 PM
Keep the Ben Davis bandwagon going. 3 hits tonight, and should have thrown out 2 runners if Jose could catch.

misty60481
08-03-2004, 09:58 PM
I like Ben Davis if he could step up into the regular catching job it would really make KW look good I hear Reed has been doing some good hitting in minors.

ode to veeck
08-03-2004, 10:00 PM
Actually, I thought Ben did throw a runner out in one of the last innings tonight

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
08-03-2004, 10:00 PM
Im diggin ben davis. he is lookin good

OEO Magglio
08-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Actually, I thought Ben did throw a runner out in one of the last innings tonightHe did throw out a runner tonight but there was another time where he got a beautiful throw off right to Jose that would have nailed the runner easily but Jose dropped it.

Cowch44
08-03-2004, 10:07 PM
It'd be funny if he bloomed here....I sure would love that:D:

cheeses_h_rice
08-03-2004, 10:14 PM
I've been really impressed with Ben's arm and his bat of late. If he can get his average above .250 or .260 that would be a huge help. Maybe we can get rid of Sandy and give the roster spot to another reliever, too.

Evman5
08-03-2004, 10:17 PM
3 HITS FOR BELTIN' BEN! Just keep letting the man play and ride him while he is hot. He is definitely going to be my ptc much more often.

Cowch44
08-03-2004, 10:18 PM
3 HITS FOR BELTIN' BEN! Just keep letting the man play and ride him while he is hot. He is definitely going to be my ptc much more often.
I picked him today:cool:

WinningUgly!
08-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Davis is hitting .303 since coming to the Sox.:bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

Uncle_Patrick
08-03-2004, 10:38 PM
I like Ben Davis's mullet. Also, the Garcia deal is looking better all the time with Freddy pitching well and Davis playing well.

Evman5
08-03-2004, 11:00 PM
I picked him today:cool:
Check out this post:

#23 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=458420&postcount=23)
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 07-26-2004, 05:59 PM
Evman5 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=2474) http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/statusicon/user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_458420", true);
WSI Regular

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon1.gif
Crazy Carl

Back up: Ben Davis (because he never gets picked:(: :(: :(: )

I would just like to say that Since this pick Ben has caught fire and he owes it all to me!!!!!:supernana: :supernana:

gobears1987
08-04-2004, 12:11 AM
Join the bandwagon I started. I think BD is better than Miggy who couldn't hit most pitchers if his life depended on it

.303 average on this team is very good

Nard
08-04-2004, 01:48 AM
Anyone hear the back-handed comment from one of the BBTN scrubs about Miggy?

Something like "I've never seen a catcher shy away from the ball like that" or something when someone was throwing to him at the plate.

jabrch
08-04-2004, 05:40 AM
I wonder if KW thought he had a daimond in the rough in Davis and was planning on Davis performing this well, or if he just got lucky?

Fungo
08-04-2004, 08:24 AM
I wonder if KW thought he had a daimond in the rough in Davis and was planning on Davis performing this well, or if he just got lucky?Davis is one of those "highly touted prospects". Hawk or DJ mentioned on the broadcast last night that Ben has really bought into the Greg Walker hitting philosophy. He has the tools, it's just a matter of maximizing what is there. I could care less what he hit in Seattle & as far as I'm concerned he's hitting .303 for the White Sox. I know it is a small sample size, but I believe the kid has some talent.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2004, 08:36 AM
While leadoff hitter is still a hole on this team (even considering Rowand's good numbers in that role), Davis' performance of late leads me to believe that between him and Burke, catcher is no longer a gaping hole.

Therefore, I retract my heretofore pleading for the Sox to acquire Jason Kendall. As for leadoff hitter, they should pursue Frank Catalanatto or Jerry Hairston, Jr. instead (or both).

Mohoney
08-04-2004, 02:56 PM
Frank Catalanotto woud be a great fit right now, especially since Carl Everett can't chip in and play some OF because his health is a concern.

As far as I'm concerned, Catalanotto can take Gload's roster spot, and Timo can slide back into a bench role.

An everyday lineup might look something like this:

1 Rowand CF
2 Catalanotto RF
3 Lee LF
4 Konerko 1B
5 Everett DH
6 Valentin SS
7 Catcher spot
8 Crede 3B
9 2B spot

wdelaney72
08-04-2004, 03:03 PM
I like it, except Valentin and his .228 batting average can go to the bench. Uribe should be starting at SS every day.

Frank Catalanotto woud be a great fit right now, especially since Carl Everett can't chip in and play some OF because his health is a concern.

As far as I'm concerned, Catalanotto can take Gload's roster spot, and Timo can slide back into a bench role.

An everyday lineup might look something like this:

1 Rowand CF
2 Catalanotto RF
3 Lee LF
4 Konerko 1B
5 Everett DH
6 Valentin SS
7 Catcher spot
8 Crede 3B
9 2B spot

Mohoney
08-04-2004, 03:51 PM
I like it, except Valentin and his .228 batting average can go to the bench. Uribe should be starting at SS every day.

We just have to live with his Rob Deer-type numbers. As bad as his .229 AVG is, he is still a legit power threat from the left side.

It's not like Uribe has been doing much, either. If Uribe was hitting a legitimate .285+, I would definitely sacrifice the power, but Uribe is looking bad at the plate, too.

At least Valentin's days in the #2 hole are done, thank God.

hawkjt
08-04-2004, 03:52 PM
I believe Davis is 8 for his last 16 abs. keep it going Ben. Love the size and switch-hitting for a catcher.

JohnJeter
08-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Here's another thing to like about Davis: he speaks Spanish. Particularly valuable when catching Contreras, but probably a nice plus in the clubhouse as well. Sun-Times had a blurb on it. http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug04.html

Mohoney
08-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Here's another thing to like about Davis: he speaks Spanish. Particularly valuable when catching Contreras, but probably a nice plus in the clubhouse as well. Sun-Times had a blurb on it. http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug04.html

I thought that what his dad said was pretty funny. "How many French-speaking pitchers have you heard of?"

Seems like good common sense to have your son take Spanish if he's going to be a catcher.

Mickster
08-04-2004, 04:47 PM
I thought that what his dad said was pretty funny. "How many French-speaking pitchers have you heard of?"
Um.....one. Eric Gagne. :smile:

bartmanisgod
08-05-2004, 11:20 AM
I think Ben and Aaron's performances are a credit to how good Larry Walker really is! He knows every hitter and he molds them into hitters both pysically and mentally..If you look back at Ben's first at-bats when he originally came over he looked completely lost at the plate and was just waving the bat around...he now has a very compact swing with a great mind set! The same goes for Rowand! Walk moved Rowands hands just a smidge higher over the last month and now he is really starting to drive the ball hard!

We have a fantastic coaching staff and a great hitting coach! Keep up the good work!

mcfish
08-05-2004, 11:42 AM
We just have to live with his Rob Deer-type numbers. As bad as his .229 AVG is, he is still a legit power threat from the left side.

It's not like Uribe has been doing much, either. If Uribe was hitting a legitimate .285+, I would definitely sacrifice the power, but Uribe is looking bad at the plate, too.

At least Valentin's days in the #2 hole are done, thank God.Defense. Defense. Defense. Uribe at short and Harris at 2B puts our best defense on the field and takes away nothing from our offense - exchanging one crappy guy who's a threat to hit a HR for another crappy guy who's a threat to hit a double. Not to mention, our best offensive SS 2B combo was Uribe/Harris when Jose was hurt. We should try that again for a few weeks.

mcfish
08-05-2004, 11:53 AM
Sorry, this is the Ben Davis thread. GO BEN DAVIS GO! I know that you can be awesome! Your first few weeks might as well have been spring training with all the playing time you saw in Seattle. Now you're starting to show what you are capable of. You'll have a better average than Valentin in a week or so.

Just look at these numbers:
YEAR_TEAM_G_AB_R_H_2B_3B_HR_RBI_TB_BB_SO_SB_CS_OBP _SLG_AVG
2004__Sox_16_33_5_10_1_0__2___5__17_0__10__1__0_.3 03_.515_.303
2004__M's_14_33_1_3__0_0__0___2__3__3___9__0__0_.1 62_.091_.091
He's hitting .303 with the Sox so far - and that's with no hits in his first 5 games (only 7 AB's).

Flight #24
08-05-2004, 01:14 PM
I think Ben and Aaron's performances are a credit to how good Larry Walker really is!
Wow....Ben's getting tips from Larry Walker? Hopefully he's not gettign his "How to stay in shape" advice....

(FWIW - I beleive you mean GREG Walker).