PDA

View Full Version : OT: Has anyone ever watched Carlos Lee between pitches?

Region Sox
08-01-2004, 04:55 PM
When I sit on that side of the field it is hard not to watch him in between pitches or during slow parts of the action.

Last Sunday (vs. Detroit) he would take his mit off after every pitch and kind of look around in the stands. Joke with the guys in the bullpen. Then he would put on his glove as the ball was being thrown. He was making me nervous! :D:

On the May 15 game when they did the individual player intros (first time I had seen it) they introduced him. He goes running out, stops at the foul line, then bolts back in the dugout... he forgot his mit.

Another thing to watch is everytime I have seen a pitching change he goes back in the bullpen- I guess to take a leak or get a drink. Emerging moments before the game starts back up. I have not seen a Sox OF or another team OF do anything similar.

It just cracks me up watching him in action. He is a lot like my friend who has adult ADHD.

South Side
08-01-2004, 05:29 PM
[He is a lot like my friend who has adult ADHD.[/QUOTE]
Good old Carlos. :)

RKMeibalane
08-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Carlos managed to get himself in trouble during a game in April of 2002 vs. Cleveland. A big crowd turned out for the game, which the Sox won big. Frank Thomas had three hits, and Magglio Ordonez hit a big home run. But these weren't the real highlights of the game, at least not as far as Carlos was concerned.

There were a large number of extremely attractive women in attendance. More than a few of them had had too much to drink, and were exposing themselves, taking off their tops and dancing around. Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel had to pull Carlos out of the game because Lee was too busy watching the girls instead the game. Ahh... the memories.

South Side
08-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Carlos managed to get himself in trouble during a game in April of 2002 vs. Cleveland. A big crowd turned out for the game, which the Sox won big. Frank Thomas had three hits, and Magglio Ordonez hit a big home run. But these weren't the real highlights of the game, at least not as far as Carlos was concerned.

There were a large number of extremely attractive women in attendance. More than a few of them had had too much to drink, and were exposing themselves, taking off their tops and dancing around. Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel had to pull Carlos out of the game because Lee was too busy watching the girls instead the game. Ahh... the memories.

That is hilarious... Anyone else have Carlos stories?

RKMeibalane
08-01-2004, 05:53 PM
There was also the night of June 7, 2002, when the Sox played the Montreal Expos. The Sox managed just five hits during the game. Frank Thomas provided the only offense with a solo home run in the late innings. The Sox managed to get a rally going in the ninth, until Carlos ruined everything.

Jose Valentin led off the ninth with a single. Lee tried to bunt, but ended up hitting the ball back through the box. The Expos pitcher fielded it cleany and nailed Valentin at second for the force-out. Tony Graffanino reached on an infield single, a bizarre play that saw Carlos somehow make it all the way to third base.

Mark Johnson was up next. He attempted a squeeze bunt, but missed the pitch. Carlos came too far off of third base, and was picked off by Michael Barrett. Johnson struck out a few pitches later to end the game. Needless to say, just about everyone on the board was calling for Carlos' head. We were pissed.

Evman5
08-01-2004, 06:41 PM
I just remember the home opener a year or two ago against detroit. Carlos was in left field an a freezing day and he kept his hands in his pants for the entire inning!

DrummerGeorgefan
08-01-2004, 06:43 PM

I was at that game and in the bleachers. It was worse than mardi gras (But I'm not one to complain). That day and the day before it had been like 80 degrees. People were thinking it was summer. I fondly remember Carlos gawking at girlies.

IMO, Lee is one of the biggest dogs in baseball. He never hussles, and always seems to be on a different page. I cant count the number of line drives he could of cut off and decided to play off the wall. I really feel sorry for any CF that has to cover for him.

DickAllen72
08-01-2004, 06:52 PM
IMO, Lee is one of the biggest dogs in baseball. He never hussles....

BS. Carlos may have his mental lapses at times but he hustles.

soltrain21
08-01-2004, 06:53 PM
IMO, Lee is one of the biggest dogs in baseball. He never hussles, and always seems to be on a different page. I cant count the number of line drives he could of cut off and decided to play off the wall. I really feel sorry for any CF that has to cover for him.

I said that in the chat at the beginning of the season and I got my head ripped off, so watch out.

npdempse
08-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Our season tix are behind Carlos. I'm always worried that his taking off his glove and looking around between every pitch are going to cost us someday, but it hasn't happened yet.

His head's definitely not always in the game--Last year he'd always hold up two fingers when people in the stands asked him how many outs when there were two outs.

I've also noticed that he almost without fail runs into the bullpen when there's a pitching change. I'm assuming that's pee-pee break time.

jcirish85
08-01-2004, 11:52 PM
I was at that game and in the bleachers. It was worse than mardi gras (But I'm not one to complain). That day and the day before it had been like 80 degrees. People were thinking it was summer. I fondly remember Carlos gawking at girlies.

I was there too. I sat on the left field line and I remember seeing Wunsch and some other guys autographing some balls and giving it to the girls who were exposing themselves. That was a great game.

doublem23
08-01-2004, 11:58 PM

I was at that game, too, sitting up the left field line. I didn't notice Carlos. I was, uh, too busy watching the action... on the field. :redface:

nitetrain8601
08-02-2004, 12:13 AM
its better than manny ramirez grabbin his nuts throughout the whole game on a beautiful day

OurBitchinMinny
08-02-2004, 12:22 AM

Who are these frank thomas and magglio ordonez people you are talking about? Sox legends of the past?

soxyes
08-02-2004, 08:02 AM
I was at that game on Sunday (vs. Det). I was sitting in left field as well. I yelled several times "Carlos pay attenttion!"

Sox Mobile
08-02-2004, 08:06 AM
There was also the night of June 7, 2002, when the Sox played the Montreal Expos. The Sox managed just five hits during the game. Frank Thomas provided the only offense with a solo home run in the late innings. The Sox managed to get a rally going in the ninth, until Carlos ruined everything.

Jose Valentin led off the ninth with a single. Lee tried to bunt, but ended up hitting the ball back through the box. The Expos pitcher fielded it cleany and nailed Valentin at second for the force-out. Tony Graffanino reached on an infield single, a bizarre play that saw Carlos somehow make it all the way to third base.

Mark Johnson was up next. He attempted a squeeze bunt, but missed the pitch. Carlos came too far off of third base, and was picked off by Michael Barrett. Johnson struck out a few pitches later to end the game. Needless to say, just about everyone on the board was calling for Carlos' head. We were pissed.
Just for the record, and to clear Carlos's name in this instance, Johnson took the blame for that mishap after the game.

Johnson took it upon himself to attempt the squeeze. When Carlos saw him square for the bunt, he thought he had missed the sign and took off for home.

Johnson then pulls back on the bunt! Carlos tries to scram back to third, and slips. Johnson was batting left handed, and Carlos is picked off easy!!

Now its 2 outs, and Johnson strikes out.

To Mark Johnsons credit, he fessed up about his bonehead move.

As to Carlos's antics, I've always described him as a big kid, part of his charm!

Say what you will about his defensive skills, he has made some awesome foul ball sliding catches.

And when he does, he grins like a kid who just took his training wheels off and rode all by himself!

Over By There
08-02-2004, 08:41 AM

I was at that game (Carribean Night!). It was such a bizarre ending to the game. I seem to remember getting excited at the real chance to come back in the 9th, and then BAM the game was over. One of the more disappointing games I have attended in person.

Jerko
08-02-2004, 08:47 AM
I always yell at Carlos to pay attention, but lately MY attention has been more towards waking Marte up in the bullpen. He was literally almost asleep out there last weekend. Same thing at Detroit; they show Cotts and Jackson warming up in the bullpen and in the background you see a body slupmed over on a chair one step away from death and it was Marte again. Maybe he needs some coffee or something.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-02-2004, 08:52 AM
:pudge
"God how I hated playing left field. I would rather watch paint dry!"

:caballo
"It's all what you make of it, Carlton. There are definitely some fringe benefits!"

jackbrohamer
08-02-2004, 09:06 AM
Couple years ago (can't remember exactly) there was an unexplained break in the action. Sox were in the field & everyone was standing around doing nothing. Then C Lee came running out of the Sox bullpen to take his spot in the outfield (I hadn't noticed he left) tucking his shirt into his pants, apparently having taken a bathroom break. He got a big round of applause when he got back

KingXerxes
08-02-2004, 09:27 AM
:pudge
"God how I hated playing left field. I would rather watch paint dry!"
:hawk

"You didn't hate playing left field! You loved it!............Yessir."