PDA

View Full Version : We Have a Good SS

beausox
07-24-2001, 10:51 PM
His name is Jose Valentin.

Daver
07-24-2001, 11:04 PM
We have a passable SS that happens to be the heart of the team,but i wouldn't confuse him with Derek Jeter.

Tragg
07-24-2001, 11:05 PM
Come on, Beau. He is not a good shortstop.

He is a good offensive player who should always have a spot on this team, as a DH, pinch hitter, or to spell an infielder or outfielder. I hope he gets a lot of outfield practice over the winter and spring.

We've got to get a real major league shortstop to win a WS.

IA_soxfan
07-24-2001, 11:57 PM
I think Valentin would be a great fit at 2b. Mostly because that would mean we get rid of Ray "streaky" Durham. That said, who do we bring in at short?

danman31
07-25-2001, 12:03 AM
He is a good hitter having a bad year. Lay off him.

IA_soxfan
07-25-2001, 12:08 AM
Yes, when he's in a hot streak, he's a very good hitter. Ray has been inconsistent for a long time. That just won't do for a leadoff man, and he has no other place to go in the lineup.

Tragg
07-25-2001, 12:14 AM
We need to trade for a SS.

I think that will require one of our good starters, or a mediocre starter (alomar, perry etc) plus a top AAA pitcher.
We're deep at pitching - I say it's worth the trade.

OfficerKarkovice
07-25-2001, 12:15 AM
To bad the A's are in it because Miguel Tejada is one of the most underated players around.

Tragg
07-25-2001, 12:16 AM
By "good starter" I meant a starting positional player. But I think we could work a deal by dealing AAA players for AAA players.

IA_soxfan
07-25-2001, 12:23 AM
The thought of Tejada in a sox uni is enough to make me drool. But wait, isn't he pretty brutal defensively?

OfficerKarkovice
07-25-2001, 12:27 AM
From ESPN:

Baserunning & Defense
Blessed with excellent speed, reflexes and a terrific arm, Tejada is one of those players who can turn in an acrobatic play that drops jaws. He tends to make the occasional bad decision in the field, though playing with veteran second baseman Randy Velarde has helped quell that habit. Tejada is capable of 20 steals, but since that isn't Oakland's game, he doesn't run that often. Still, he was successful on all six of his stolen-base attempts last season, a marked improvement over his 8-for-15 ledger of 1999.

Nellie_Fox
07-25-2001, 01:47 AM
"Up the middle" (catcher, short, second, center) are, first and foremost, defensive positions. Moving Manos to second would do nothing to address his tendency to boot the routine grounder. And, second is not just another SS position. The angles on the throws, the turn on the double play, are completely different. Shortstops can usually move to third easier than to second.

:nellie

FarWestChicago
07-25-2001, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
"Up the middle" (catcher, short, second, center) are, first and foremost, defensive positions. Moving Manos to second would do nothing to address his tendency to boot the routine grounder. And, second is not just another SS position. The angles on the throws, the turn on the double play, are completely different. Shortstops can usually move to third easier than to second.

:nellie

Well said. I really wish Manos could make the easy plays. It's like he's such a gamer he doesn't get focused unless the play is difficult. But, you gotta love the guy. He has a heart the size of a small state.

BTW, I put Nellie in your signature. You don't have to manually add it anymore.

Nellie_Fox
07-25-2001, 02:02 AM
Thanks Far. I was going to figure out how to do it myself, but I appreciate it.

FarWestChicago
07-25-2001, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Thanks Far. I was going to figure out how to do it myself, but I appreciate it.

Glad to help. Make sure you let Czal know we moved. I haven't seen him in a while. His boss is probably making him work.