PDA

View Full Version : Loaiza's Beard

DoggPhood
08-01-2004, 01:56 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo?slug=nyy10108011700.yankees_loaiza_nyy101&prov=ap

Looks like he had to shave his beard as a member of the Yankees. I wish him well, he really helped us out last year and wasn't TERRIBLE this year.

Viva Magglio
08-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Yankees have strict rules regarding facial hair.

cheeses_h_rice
08-01-2004, 02:26 PM
I already hate him.

Erik The Red
08-01-2004, 02:30 PM
I believe one of the NL teams still has a policy regarding facial hair, or at least they did in the 80s. I think it was either the Reds or Cardinals.

I also remember some uptight Yanks fan on Mike and Mike a few months ago, talking about how Johnny Damon was "classless" for playing with long hair and a beard. ****.

Nick@Nite
08-01-2004, 02:55 PM
A no facial hair policy smacks of fascism, imo.

HomeFish
08-01-2004, 02:57 PM

Or Disneyland.

Evman5
08-01-2004, 03:04 PM
E-LO is dead to me now!!! I hate that they make guys do that. I feel like it makes guys lose their personalities. Especially in Jason Giambi's case. :(:

Flight #24
08-01-2004, 03:10 PM
I believe one of the NL teams still has a policy regarding facial hair, or at least they did in the 80s. I think it was either the Reds or Cardinals.

I also remember some uptight Yanks fan on Mike and Mike a few months ago, talking about how Johnny Damon was "classless" for playing with long hair and a beard. ****.
Then there's the old Springfield Isotopes and their facial hair policy...

http://animatedtv.about.com/library/graphics/mrburns_small.jpg (http://animatedtv.about.com/library/graphics/mrburns.jpg) Mattingly - shave those sideburns!!!
:)

hose
08-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Where's the Talaban when you need them?:rolleyes:

SOXSINCE'70
08-01-2004, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=Erik The Red]I believe one of the NL teams still has a policy regarding facial hair, or at least they did in the 80s. I think it was either the Reds or Cardinals.

That would be the Reds.:D: :D:

Nard
08-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Esty looks 10 years older in that pic. Man. He's dead to me.

Maybe now Contreras can fulfill his dream to grow a gigantic, Dmitri Young style afro goatee.

SoxFan76
08-01-2004, 05:05 PM
I understand where the Yankees are coming from. It's all about showing up to work looking presentable. You aren't going to walk into a meeting full of lawyers and big shot CEO's with a purple mohawk and a Misfits t-shirt. You are getting paid millions to play baseball. The least they can do is look presentable while doing it.

Having said that, the Yanks are a little too strict. Facial hair is fine, just not Johnny Damon facial hair.

skobabe8
08-01-2004, 06:27 PM

http://animatedtv.about.com/library/graphics/mrburns_small.jpg (http://animatedtv.about.com/library/graphics/mrburns.jpg) Mattingly - shave those sideburns!!!
:)
*****!!!!

"I still like him better than Steinbrenner."

Erik The Red
08-01-2004, 06:47 PM
I understand where the Yankees are coming from. It's all about showing up to work looking presentable. You aren't going to walk into a meeting full of lawyers and big shot CEO's with a purple mohawk and a Misfits t-shirt. You are getting paid millions to play baseball. The least they can do is look presentable while doing it.

Having said that, the Yanks are a little too strict. Facial hair is fine, just not Johnny Damon facial hair. I understand where you're coming from here, but a baseball diamond is a far cry from a board room.

BTW, you moving to DeKalb to go to NIU? GO HUSKIES! (I'm a 2002 grad)

Frankfan4life
08-01-2004, 07:08 PM

Maybe now Contreras can fulfill his dream to grow a gigantic, Dmitri Young style afro goatee.I think E-LO looks very handsome without his facial hair and he appears younger-looking to me. I wish him well except whenever he has to face the Sox. I've always like Loaiza's attitude and I would like to thank him for the time he spent with the Sox. I'll always remember that time fondly.

rmusacch
08-01-2004, 07:31 PM
I think that they can have moustaches.

Huisj
08-01-2004, 07:48 PM
the yankees rule is stupid. i think it's just another big headed way that they make themselves feel superior to others. It's kind of like neighborhood associations and stuff that have strict rules about the type of mailbox you can have or say you always have to have your garage door shut or stupid petty things like that that don't mean a thing--the rules are there so that the people adhearing to them feel "exclusive" and "important". It's just a bunch of BS.

Some people just plain look better with beards, so why the heck shouldn't they be allowed to have a nice one? One of my teachers in high school had a big thick red beard, and we all wanted him to shave it just to see what he'd look like, so then he shows up at graduation without it and it scared the crap out of us--he looked like he was a 12 year old with a frog face. we definitely knew then why he had the beard.

RKMeibalane
08-01-2004, 08:23 PM
In August of 1991, Yankees first baseman Don Mattingly was suspended for one game after he refused to get a hair-cut. He eventually got it cut, but not before firing back at Yankees management because he thought he was the victim of a double-standard. Hysterical.

LongLiveFisk
08-01-2004, 08:49 PM
I think E-LO looks very handsome without his facial hair and he appears younger-looking to me. I wish him well except whenever he has to face the Sox. I've always like Loaiza's attitude and I would like to thank him for the time he spent with the Sox. I'll always remember that time fondly.
I agree with everything you've said. And I just realized that I was at Esteban's last game as a White Sox on Wed, July 28. Bye, Esty, good luck but since you're with the Yankees not TOO good. :smile:

Brian26
08-01-2004, 08:55 PM
I don't really care one way or another, although I find it interesting that for many, many years it was an unwritten rule on almost all clubs that no facial hair was allowed. I think Reggie, Rollie and the rest of the Finley A's in either '72 or '73 were the first club to break spring training with guys sporting facial hair.

As for Damon, the long hair is a bit too distracting for my tastes - but to each his own.

Corlose 15
08-01-2004, 08:59 PM

:)Mr. Burns I'm not sure you know what sideburns are.:)

SoxFan76
08-01-2004, 09:24 PM
BTW, you moving to DeKalb to go to NIU? GO HUSKIES! (I'm a 2002 grad)
Yep, I'm moving in the 19th. Looking forward to it.

space_monkey
08-01-2004, 10:39 PM

Maybe now Contreras can fulfill his dream to grow a gigantic, Dmitri Young style afro goatee.
bahaha

that would be AWESOME

Over By There
08-02-2004, 09:02 AM
I think the Yankees take it a little far - I mean, Esty always looked good, the goat was kept trimmed, etc. It's not like he's Johnny Damon.

OTOH, I wish some teams would take a harder line on wearing the uniform properly. This came up in a thread a month or so back during a series with the Tribe. For some reason, it realy irks me the way Sabathia and others do the tilted cap.

If guys want to express themselves with facial hair or hairstyle, that's okay by me, it's your body. But please respect the uniform because it doesn't belong to you - it belongs to the fans and the men who went before you.

Fungo
08-02-2004, 09:15 AM
I would imagine that the August 21 Esteban Loaiza Bobble Head Dolls sponsored by Pepsi is now a no-go. We play Boston that day, how ironic.

Erik The Red
08-02-2004, 09:21 AM
Yep, I'm moving in the 19th. Looking forward to it. Staying in the dorms?

sendimjoey
08-02-2004, 11:22 AM
I would imagine that the August 21 Esteban Loaiza Bobble Head Dolls sponsored by Pepsi is now a no-go. We play Boston that day, how ironic.

A caller asked Dave Wills about that during Friday's post-game program. Wills thought they'd go ahead with it, since the sponsor has ponied up the cash and the bobbleheads have probably been delivered from the manufacturer. I hope they do it, because I have tickets that day.

I saw a photo of a clean-shaven Loiaza in the paper today. He looks like a more mature Mark Teixeira now.

Someone mentioned Giambi earlier. I swear I haven't seen that guy smile on the field since he became a Yankee. I've always felt like it was a sell-out when he signed with them, but then, he had about 30 million good reasons to choose them over Oakland.

JoseCanseco6969
08-02-2004, 06:36 PM
Yep, I'm moving in the 19th. Looking forward to it.
Awesome, good luck! I'll be moving back there in a couple weeks too. Helluva school! GO HUSKIES!