PDA

View Full Version : I am actually happy the Delgado thing didn't go down.

Region Sox
08-01-2004, 12:28 PM
I am mad as heck we didn't add a bat, but I know- we didn't know about the injuries, yadda, yadda, yadda.

But I am glad we didn't end up with Delgado. If we were going to get anybody get an OF that can hit- Carlos had that big contract and on a personal level I strongly disagree with his "God Bless America" boycott.

Nick@Nite
08-01-2004, 12:37 PM
I am mad as heck we didn't add a bat, but I know- we didn't know about the injuries, yadda, yadda, yadda.

But I am glad we didn't end up with Delgado. If we were going to get anybody get an OF that can hit- Carlos had that big contract and on a personal level I strongly disagree with his "God Bless America" boycott.
I could care less about his politics. Right now, the Sox offense can barely punch themselves out of a wet paper bag. As long as he helps the team, then who cares about his stance on GBA.

With Frank & Maggs out, I wish the deal would have gotten done.

Whitesox029
08-01-2004, 01:57 PM

But I am glad we didn't end up with Delgado. If we were going to get anybody get an OF that can hit- Carlos had that big contract and on a personal level I strongly disagree with his "God Bless America" boycott.Not only is he anti-American, he's hitting a robust .182 with men on base this year per today's tribune. We've already got plenty of players who can do that. Namely, all of them.

nitetrain8601
08-01-2004, 01:59 PM
I frankly would've been happy getting him. Don't let the fact that he doesn't agree with GBA get in the way. So what? That has nothing to do with his baseball ability. He's a big bat that would've helped this team.

skobabe8
08-01-2004, 02:01 PM
I wouldnt mind that deal at all. Delgado or nothing....id take delgado. Depends on what the deal was, too.

PutItOnTheBoard
08-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Forced patriotism is total BS. God bless Carlos Delgado for thinking and speaking for himself - an American tradition.

skobabe8
08-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Forced patriotism is total BS. God bless Carlos Delgado for thinking and speaking for himself - an American tradition.
I would have to agree with you. I don't agree with Carlos at all, but thats whats great about this country. People are allowed to express their opinions, even if they're wrong. Where would he be without this country? Not as rich as he is, I promise you that. But thats a whole 'nother discussion all together.

MikeKreevich
08-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Forced patriotism is total BS. God bless Carlos Delgado for thinking and speaking for himself - an American tradition.I guess we know who you will be voting for, if you are old enough.
By the way, it's respect, not patriotism. Delgado would be rolling cigars, and not making millions, if it wasn't for this country.

fquaye149
08-01-2004, 03:40 PM
^wow that was racist.

nitetrain8601
08-01-2004, 03:42 PM
^wow that was racist.
Sure seemed like it.

munchman33
08-01-2004, 05:10 PM
If we traded for Delgado, I would have excercised my right to boycott the White Sox for the rest of the year.

Soxzilla
08-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Especially since he is hitting .220, and he basically only hits the long ball. I thought that is what we were trying to shy away from...

jabrch
08-01-2004, 06:13 PM
There's a difference between "forced patriotism" and respect. Delgado doesn't get it.

elrod
08-01-2004, 10:37 PM
I can't stand God Bless America, mostly because I'm vehemently non-religious and I don't like being told the same tripe that every nation (including our enemies) believes: that God is on our side. For patriotic songs I'll stick with the Star Spangled Banner - I used to watch Oriole games in the shadow of Fort McHenry and thought when fans yelled "Oooooo" in the middle they were being disrespectful. THAT is a patriotic song, not some Irving Berlin doozy filled with bland platitudes. But that's just my opinion... However, Delgado is not American - he works here (actually Canada). He goes home in the offseason to Puerto Rico (some would consider that America though many don't). He may be duty bound to act "as in Rome" but if he's sincere in his beliefs, which I think he is, then he's also duty bound to honor them and express them. I believe very strongly in this country, its ideals, its people and its opportunities. I've lived elsewhere and can conclude that America is the best nation on Earth. But I totally understand and respect others who believe this nation has done some very bad things and wish to voice their protest. Good for him.

Now do I want him on the White Sox? No. He's paid too much and his average stinks.

space_monkey
08-01-2004, 11:09 PM
There's a difference between "forced patriotism" and respect. Delgado doesn't get it.

He still shows "respect" when the national anthem is played. Its because GBA started being played after 9/11... which isnt bad at all, its just that right now we are at war with a country which apparently had nothing to do with 9/11. So... Carlos doesnt stand in protest to the war... I highly doubt it has anything to do with him totally disrespecting the american way, wealthy suburbanites, and this country in general. And again, the ability to do this sort of thing... which is voice one's opinion... is kinda what makes this country so great in the first place. I think alot of people take that for granted.

mack10zie
08-01-2004, 11:15 PM
I can't stand God Bless America, mostly because I'm vehemently non-religious and I don't like being told the same tripe that every nation (including our enemies) believes: that God is on our side. For patriotic songs I'll stick with the Star Spangled Banner - I used to watch Oriole games in the shadow of Fort McHenry and thought when fans yelled "Oooooo" in the middle they were being disrespectful. THAT is a patriotic song, not some Irving Berlin doozy filled with bland platitudes. But that's just my opinion... However, Delgado is not American - he works here (actually Canada). He goes home in the offseason to Puerto Rico (some would consider that America though many don't). He may be duty bound to act "as in Rome" but if he's sincere in his beliefs, which I think he is, then he's also duty bound to honor them and express them. I believe very strongly in this country, its ideals, its people and its opportunities. I've lived elsewhere and can conclude that America is the best nation on Earth. But I totally understand and respect others who believe this nation has done some very bad things and wish to voice their protest. Good for him.

Now do I want him on the White Sox? No. He's paid too much and his average stinks.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I was at the game today in Detroit and during the seventh inning stretch I just felt like I was being forced to participate in something that had nothing to do with baseball and its traditions, and ultimately very little to do with what our country actually stands for.

OEO Magglio
08-01-2004, 11:22 PM
I think this thread has "roadhouse," written all over it.

nasox
08-01-2004, 11:31 PM
I think this thread has "roadhouse," written all over it.
couldn't have said it better myself.

MushMouth
08-01-2004, 11:33 PM
yeah, all them folks down thar kid do is roll ceegars...

that's rich