Wealz
08-01-2004, 12:44 PM
Good for a laugh. :smile:

http://www.yesnetwork.com/announcers/article.asp?article_id=228

JB98
08-01-2004, 12:49 PM

Heh heh. We'll see how "New York energized" Loaiza is when his 86 mph meatballs go flying out of Yankee Stadium. The fans of New York will say, "Booooooooooooo!!!!" I have nothing against Este, but let's face it, he was a one-year wonder.

Tmar281
08-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Hahahahaha

anewman35
08-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Throw in the fact the Jerry Colangelo wouldn't lift a finger to help the Yankees unless he got great prospects AND monetary considerations and you have NO DEAL.
Ha. You mean Jerry Colangelo didn't want to help the Yankees out of the goodness of his own heart? He actually wanted something in return? What a jerk.

Nard
08-01-2004, 01:04 PM
I have nothing against Esty personally.... but I would like nothing more than 3 IP, 8 ER on Wednesday.

StepsInSC
08-01-2004, 01:05 PM

I'm so lost. Is that article serious? Its gotta be a joke? My head is going to explode.

ssidebeatdown
08-01-2004, 01:05 PM
I hate ignorant columnists.

Nick@Nite
08-01-2004, 01:11 PM
She forgot the teal.

soxwon
08-01-2004, 01:23 PM
sounds like we got ROOKED!!!

and its E-LO not ESTY

HomerCoach
08-01-2004, 01:26 PM
"Last year, Estaban Loaiza was 21-9 with a 2.90 ERA with 207 strikeouts. The 32 year old has proven that he can deliver, and if this year hasn't been his best, everything about him tells me that he'll be in New York energized and ready to show the city that he is worthy of his All-Star credentials. Itís an amazing deal for Brian Cashman."

She forgets to mention his 9-5, 4.86 ERA, and his 5.3 K/9 IP in 2004. Also, he has only pitched past the 7th inning 6 times all year and 0 timed since June 17 (8 starts).:thumbsup:

Paulwny
08-01-2004, 01:38 PM
Hey everybody, what did you expect ?, honest reporting? It's the YES Net owned by King George and the largest sport propaganda machine in the world. If you want to keep your job you give the company line.

Flight #24
08-01-2004, 01:45 PM
"Last year, Estaban Loaiza was 21-9 with a 2.90 ERA with 207 strikeouts. The 32 year old has proven that he can deliver, and if this year hasn't been his best, everything about him tells me that he'll be in New York energized and ready to show the city that he is worthy of his All-Star credentials. Itís an amazing deal for Brian Cashman."

She forgets to mention his 9-5, 4.86 ERA, and his 5.3 K/9 IP in 2004. Also, he has only pitched past the 7th inning 6 times all year and 0 timed since June 17 (8 starts).:thumbsup:
Or the fact that prior to last year, his #s look startlingly like this year's. Or that his BAA & ERA rose significantly from pre-ASB last year to post-ASB last year to this year.

Say it ain't so.....a columnist who's salary is effectively paid by the owner of the team writing an effusively praising column about a trade every else deems at best treading water?

Next thing you'll tell me that a newspaper owned by the same company that owns a baseball team skews their coverage to be more favorable towards their team!

That's unpossible!

Aidan
08-01-2004, 01:48 PM
Suzyn Waldman is an idiot. She thinks that both Loaiza and Olerud are still at the top of their game? :rolleyes:

soxtalker
08-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Seemed like a pretty reasonable article to me. It's just from a Yankee point of view. Of course, they hope that the problems Loaiza has been having will disappear with the change of team. And he has shown that he can win. She doesn't even come down too hard on Contreras. He probably would have had a tough time making it in NY after the struggles he's had.

skobabe8
08-01-2004, 03:34 PM
She's one of those reporters who hears "All-Star" and nothing else. Anyone who's watched E-Lo throw this year knows he wasnt an all-star.

mealfred13
08-01-2004, 03:48 PM
It's kinda funny. If Torre hadn't chosen Loaiza for the All-star game this year, the article would have said "the Yankees traded their 5th starter for a 5th starter."

Evman5
08-01-2004, 03:53 PM
That is freakin hilarious.

Blob
08-01-2004, 03:53 PM
I love the way everyone keeps referring to him as a "All-Star pitcher." They should insert the word "FLUKE!" Only time will tell.

StepsInSC
08-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Well after thinking it over again I can't help but think this is a good deal for the Yankees, maybe not 'awesome' but Elo is consistent, even if it is consistently giving up 4-5 runs per start. With that Yankees offense, I wouldn't be surprised if he could easily win 20 games with a 4+ ERA over the course of a full season.

I'm not saying that column isn't any less crazy, I'm just saying, is all.

samram
08-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Well after thinking it over again I can't help but think this is a good deal for the Yankees, maybe not 'awesome' but Elo is consistent, even if it is consistently giving up 4-5 runs per start. With that Yankees offense, I wouldn't be surprised if he could easily win 20 games with a 4+ ERA over the course of a full season.

I'm not saying that column isn't any less crazy, I'm just saying, is all.
4.2 is one thing, 4.9 is another, otherwise Jeff Weaver would have been, and Jon Lieber would be, a big winner out there.

SoxFan76
08-01-2004, 05:53 PM

:rolling: Those poor New Yorkers. They have no idea what they have gotten themselves into. I think those 26 championships have gone to their heads. This kinda reminds me of the Marlin fans after the Koch trade. :D:

owensmouth
08-01-2004, 06:02 PM
She also fails to take into account who declared Loaiza to be an all star this year. None other than the great Yankee all star designator. Now does everyone understand why E Lo got picked instead of Buehrle?

Frankfan4life
08-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Seemed like a pretty reasonable article to me. It's just from a Yankee point of view. Of course, they hope that the problems Loaiza has been having will disappear with the change of team. And he has shown that he can win. She doesn't even come down too hard on Contreras. He probably would have had a tough time making it in NY after the struggles he's had.If you think the article was pretty reasonable, then I'm sure you liked this quote:

Jose Contreras may actually blossom in Chicago, where the expectations, the crowds and the media are not as tough,
We here in the little hamlet of Chicago are happy with a second or third place finish. That world series stuff is for the big market teams.

DrCrawdad
08-01-2004, 06:34 PM
BEFORE Esteban was traded I said that he only made the ASG on the merits of last season. Esteban was mediocre, at best, in the last couple months for the Sox.

I'm one who thinks that Contreras (sp?) will do good things for the Sox, or at least I hope he will...

AddisonStSox
08-01-2004, 06:43 PM
Wealz you made my day; that article is so New York. If she thinks Loaiza is the answer for the Yankee's dilapidated pitching staff, I have this guy Mike Jackson she might be interested in. He is in the top 3 for all-time appearances by a reliever, he must be awesome.

nasox
08-01-2004, 06:52 PM
If I was to watch Loiaza pitch on Wed., I would wear fleece, cuz that's what happened to them. BURN........uhhh............NVM.....

SoxFan76
08-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Wealz you made my day; that article is so New York. If she thinks Loaiza is the answer for the Yankee's dilapidated pitching staff, I have this guy Mike Jackson she might be interested in. He is in the top 3 for all-time appearances by a reliever, he must be awesome.
Wow, you have 4 posts, yet all 4 have not failed to make me laugh my ass off. :D:

doublem23
08-01-2004, 11:34 PM
I wonder what she'd say if concrete started falling from Yankee Stadium's Upper Deck... :rolleyes:

Dan Gelo
08-02-2004, 01:52 AM

:rolling: Those poor New Yorkers. They have no idea what they have gotten themselves into. I think those 26 championships have gone to their heads. This kinda reminds me of the Marlin fans after the Koch trade. :D:
I was thinking about our fish friend as well. I was getting kinda of tired of the waist high E-LO rubberneck special.