PDA

View Full Version : Give Jim Hendry Props

34 Inch Stick
08-01-2004, 10:51 AM
The man has consistently STOLE players from other teams for the past two years. The guy has not had to give up any major prospects and in return has recieved a lineup of very good players (lofton, ramierez, nomar, lee, grudzielanak, karros, Simon). His signings have also been very good (maddux, walker, hawkins, Merker, Remlinger).

I have heard so much of the great Billy Beane. However, has there been a GM that has done a better job than this guy in the last 2 years? He puts his team in a position to contend at the beginning of the year. Then he repositions them to contend at the trade deadline. He was also very good with waiver wire trades last year.

To me the guy makes Yankee style acquisitions without giving up Yankee type prospect and keeping the team on a reasonable budget (not the top and nowhere near the bottom).

This is not a Hendry v. KW comparison, as I believe KW is learning and doing a good job for where he is in his career. It is simply an acknowledgement of great work being done.

samram
08-01-2004, 01:26 PM
The man has consistently STOLE players from other teams for the past two years. The guy has not had to give up any major prospects and in return has recieved a lineup of very good players (lofton, ramierez, nomar, lee, grudzielanak, karros, Simon). His signings have also been very good (maddux, walker, hawkins, Merker, Remlinger).

I have heard so much of the great Billy Beane. However, has there been a GM that has done a better job than this guy in the last 2 years? He puts his team in a position to contend at the beginning of the year. Then he repositions them to contend at the trade deadline. He was also very good with waiver wire trades last year.

To me the guy makes Yankee style acquisitions without giving up Yankee type prospect and keeping the team on a reasonable budget (not the top and nowhere near the bottom).

This is not a Hendry v. KW comparison, as I believe KW is learning and doing a good job for where he is in his career. It is simply an acknowledgement of great work being done.
One thing the Cubs organization has become very good at is talking up their prospects and making other teams believe it, as the Yanks were able to do until this year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Cubs haven't produced a position player besides Patterson in at least 5 years. However, they have talked up guys like Bobby Hill and Guzman, Beltran, and others, and have been able to turn them into good players. Good for them, but after a while, when other teams get nothing from those prospects, it will get more difficult.

OurBitchinMinny
08-01-2004, 01:32 PM
KW is still a quality GM in my book. At the beginning of the year if you would have told me he would have added Contreas, Garcia, and everett I would have been very happy. He puts the team in the position to win. He didnt hurt maggs and thomas. He didnt misdiagnose ordonez. Injuries are unpredictable and it is still possible to get back in this, although unlikely. Hendry made a great deal especially considering he was able to keep pie, brownlie, guzman and clement. However he has a mess on his hands this offseason and garciaparra is, in all likelihood, a rental. If they make or win the WS than it doesnt matter what happens next because they will always have that to hang over us.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Agreed. Henrdy has been excellent. I mean Nomar in essence for Gonzales?

This is what 'major' market teams do folks. They are willing to take on salary (see Derrick Lee for Chop Suey) and that opens up opportunities for them.

Also major market teams feast on raping the 'poor' financially troubled teams to get their talent. The Yankees made an exact science of it with the Kansas City A's of the 50's.

Money talks and everything else walks. A lesson the Sox refuse to learn.

Lip

leftfieldbleachy
08-01-2004, 06:40 PM

No doubt Hendry has earned his pay and then some, but he's in a heck of a lot easier position than Beane. If the South Evanstonians resign Nomar next year, the payroll will probably be close to twice Oakland's.

Some of that may be due to Tribune deciding to raise the payroll to a figure commensurate with their real earnings, but how much Hendry had to do with that is impossible to tell. As has been said elsewhere, the ability to take on salary can make any GM look smart.

Beane also made his own big trade six weeks ago, giving up prospects he had no use for in exchange for Dotel and about a millon in cash, and the bullpen has been a strength of that team since the break.

BigEdWalsh
08-01-2004, 07:49 PM
:pee :nocubs :bart

Jerome
08-01-2004, 08:56 PM

WAIT A DAMN MINUTE! Jim Hendry is one of the best GMs in baseball. I am amazed at how he has stolen players and all he has given up is Bobby "suck" Hill and Brendan Harris.

But Billy Beane is without a doubt, no contest, the best GM in the game. The reason Hendry has pulled off better trades is because the Cubs spend at least 50 million more per year than the A's.

Example-
The Cubs trade Hee Seop Choi for FA-to-be Derrick Lee. They promptly sign Lee to a huge contract.

The A's lose Jason Giambi because they are too cheap to pay for him. So BB picks up Scott Hatteberg for like a million bucks and turns him into a 1B. Now he is an All star. If BB was the GM of a 90 million dollar team, he'd make more trades.

Hendry is a great GM, but not the best.

34 Inch Stick
08-02-2004, 08:57 AM
The best Honda salesman might not be any good at selling Bentleys.

But at least you got to use your caps button and say damn over a clearly debatable point.

Hangar18
08-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Calling Jim Hendry one of the Best GM's in baseball is like
congratulating a Hobo for finding a Ham Sandwich in the dumpster.
Hes no luckier than the next hobo, he just found the sandwich first.
The game of baseball right now is simply a 30 man game of Poker,
and only about 6 of them have the cards to wheel-and-deal. Those
same 6 teams are the ones who have consistently the Highest Payrolls
and of course, are the 6 who will make the playoffs consistently.
If the economic situation were LEVEL, Mark Prior would be a Twin,
Derrek Lee is still a Marlin, Hollandsworth is still a Marlin, Todd Walker
is still a RedSox, Aramis Ramirez is still a Pirate, Michael Barret is still an
Expo ........etc etc etc. The cubs are the new bully on the block,
consistently ripping the weak-sister teams of the MLB off.........

Hangar18
08-02-2004, 09:25 AM
[QUOTE=Jerome]

Example-
The Cubs trade Hee Seop Choi for FA-to-be Derrick Lee. They promptly sign Lee to a huge contract.

QUOTE]

Yup, in reverse order, the Cubs get a GoldGlove 30Homer 1b, something
their Farm System COULDNT come up with on their own. The weak-sister Marlins, have to let him go and take a chance on a strike-out prone, soon-to-be career .250 hitter. Huge Dropoff. Funny, HeeFlop isnt even a Marlin
anymore. GoldGlove 1B for HeeFlop ....... 10 yrs ago, I try to make this trade, the other GM hangs up on me.

kjhanson
08-02-2004, 09:56 AM
"The Sox also decided to move Garciaparra after he informed the medical staff within the last three days that he would need considerable time (more than just random days off but not a trip to the disabled list) the remainder of the season to rest his injured right Achilles' tendon. "

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/thebuzz/

This trade will all depend on how many games Nomar plays. This could have have considerable adverse effects if he doesn't play everyday.

KingXerxes
08-02-2004, 10:14 AM
It goes without saying that most baseball trades can only be judged a few years after they've been completed. The exceptions are when you pick up a guy to offer you immediate help in winning a division or pennant etc. That being said, I have to take my hat off to Jim Hendry. Look at the way he's built that team up over the past two years. Granted, the Tribune let him spend some money to do it, but money doesn't always solve the problem (see New York Mets). He's got a deep roster, and it looks as though the contracts are of a "rotating" variety - meaning he hasn't got 12 key guys all coming up in the next year.

The jury will long be out on the Garciaparra deal, but as of right now it amazes me how he engineered this deal with four clubs and basically got the guy for nothing.

Is he the best GM out there? Who knows, but I wish we were our GM that's for sure.

34 Inch Stick
08-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Randall Simon, Kenny Lofton via trades and Todd Walker, Todd Hollandsworth via signing are just four off the top of my head inexpensive finds that vastly improved his club over the last two years. How about we judge him another way, which one of his moves have absolutely sucked?

KingXerxes
08-02-2004, 10:30 AM
His worst deal may very well be trading Dontrell Willis, but he did get Clement in that one. Trading Juan Criz may come back to haunt him because it looks like the guy they got sucks. That all being said, his ability to unload Todd Hundley and get Karrros and Grudzielanek has to absolve him from the other two.

pearso66
08-02-2004, 11:20 AM
His worst deal may very well be trading Dontrell Willis, but he did get Clement in that one. Trading Juan Criz may come back to haunt him because it looks like the guy they got sucks. That all being said, his ability to unload Todd Hundley and get Karrros and Grudzielanek has to absolve him from the other two.
That Hundley for Karros/Grudz trade was, at the time, Trash for Trash. None of them were playing well, and all had huge contracts. The Dodgers thought Hundley would play better with a return to LA, and the Cubs simply wanted him gone. He got lucky that Karros and Grudz gave him huge numbers.

KingXerxes
08-02-2004, 01:05 PM
That Hundley for Karros/Grudz trade was, at the time, Trash for Trash. None of them were playing well, and all had huge contracts. The Dodgers thought Hundley would play better with a return to LA, and the Cubs simply wanted him gone. He got lucky that Karros and Grudz gave him huge numbers.
With only limited exception, most trades are considered to be "washes" at the time they are made - otherwise they wouldn't be made. In most cases, trades are judged a year, or several years later in order to determine whether they were good trades or not. In the case of Hundley for Karros/Grudzielanek - how can you honestly say that Hendry didn't see something in Grudzielanek that the Dodgers were blind toward? Pursuant to your method of determination, no trade is a good one if - at the time - it's perceived as a wash. No good trades only lucky GM's.

When the White Sox traded Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon, that was perceived as a great deal for the White Sox. Did Pittsburgh just get really lucky, or were they smarter?

SouthSideRyan
08-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Nah you got it all wrong, Willis is just minor league trash who'll never amount to anything, and the big market Cubs robbed the Marlins of a great closer in Alfonseca as well.

Whoops, just channelled Hangar from April 2002. My mistake.