PDA

View Full Version : This Is Far From Over

34 Inch Stick
08-01-2004, 09:40 AM
If you review my past posts, I think everyone would agree that I am no Pollyanna. At the same time I am no Chicken Little.

That being said, this division is absolutely and undeniably still winnable. We've got games against the division winner left. We have many games versus the division left. We just got rid of our worst starter and have gotten several good pitching performances in a row against hot hitting teams. We are hopefully at the end of our worst stretch of the season and yet we were still in every game.

There was every reason in the world to be pessimistic. However one should never project the future while experiencing either a low or a high.

This is going to be one hell of a comeback.

ChiSoxBobette
08-01-2004, 09:58 AM
If you review my past posts, I think everyone would agree that I am no Pollyanna. At the same time I am no Chicken Little.

That being said, this division is absolutely and undeniably still winnable. We've got games against the division winner left. We have many games versus the division left. We just got rid of our worst starter and have gotten several good pitching performances in a row against hot hitting teams. We are hopefully at the end of our worst stretch of the season and yet we were still in every game.

There was every reason in the world to be pessimistic. However one should never project the future while experiencing either a low or a high.

I'm hoping they come out of this funk to and I think they can at least make it interesting, but the thing that scares me is that the Sox have to learn, now for real not just talking about it, how to play small ball. Now that Frank & Maggs are gone and who knows whats going on with Everette a couple of these players meaning Crede, Uribe, Harris & Valentin have to get thier heads out of thier butts and play baseball which in our case now mean base hits so then when Pauly or C.Lee come up theres someone on base. This crap with all the solo homers and everyone trying to hit homers is stupid we don't have Frank , Maggs, Clee and then Pauly in the order together anymore so these other guys need to start getting on base.

TornLabrum
08-01-2004, 10:28 AM
I'm hoping they come out of this funk to and I think they can at least make it interesting, but the thing that scares me is that the Sox have to learn, now for real not just talking about it, how to play small ball. Now that Frank & Maggs are gone and who knows whats going on with Everette a couple of these players meaning Crede, Uribe, Harris & Valentin have to get thier heads out of thier butts and play baseball which in our case now mean base hits so then when Pauly or C.Lee come up theres someone on base. This crap with all the solo homers and everyone trying to hit homers is stupid we don't have Frank , Maggs, Clee and then Pauly in the order together anymore so these other guys need to start getting on base.
The only way this club is going to get out of their current funk, short of the return of Maggs and Frank, is for them to stop playing home-run derby and start trying to play baseball

oldcomiskey
08-01-2004, 10:40 AM
Im wondering maybe if this aint some sort of power struggle going on--and Im being serious.....Ozzie has come down on the team for hitting HRs--so far no HRs in the Tiger series and yet we remain on a losing streak where we are barely losing. Hell I had just as soon we went back to crushing the ball if this keeps up

BigEdWalsh
08-01-2004, 11:04 AM

Stick, you said NO ONE should project the future. With good reason, who the heck knows??
:cleo Besides Miss Cleo.
Then you said this is going to be one hell of a comeback. Should that be in teal?
Granted, anything can happen and I HOPE it will be one hell of a comeback, but I don't know and neither does anyone else. I'm not trying to put a damper on things. It's one thing to hope for the best but I'm getting tired of people saying that it's GOING TO HAPPEN. So far Sox play has indicated that it isn't.:whistle:
Let's hope your bold prediction is right!

pudge
08-01-2004, 04:03 PM
We just flat out don't have good hitters minus Frank and Maggs. I'm off the ship and I'm swimming to shore, waiting for football season.

Jurr
08-01-2004, 04:13 PM
As Minnesota showed again today, they are a solid ball team, and we are not minus the two cornerstones we're built around. It sucks, but I don't think we have the horses, and I AM Mr. Optimist.

Flight #24
08-01-2004, 04:18 PM
As Minnesota showed again today, they are a solid ball team, and we are not minus the two cornerstones we're built around. It sucks, but I don't think we have the horses, and I AM Mr. Optimist.
Not sure that I'd say an error that allows 2 runs to score on a sac fly counts as anything meaningful for the Twins, but they do make the most of their chances and have an excellent 'pen.

Still, they can be caught. They're not the best team in baseball, and they play a fairly tough schedule while our is easier. If we can play better (which is highly doable), we can catch them.

Jurr
08-01-2004, 04:23 PM
That's true...I mean, I will continue to watch every game that we play, just as I have all year. But, I am taking the attitude of just enjoying a game and hoping for the best. I'm not getting my hopes up. Not too good for the old blood pressure.

MarqSox
08-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Not sure that I'd say an error that allows 2 runs to score on a sac fly counts as anything meaningful for the Twins, but they do make the most of their chances and have an excellent 'pen.

Still, they can be caught. They're not the best team in baseball, and they play a fairly tough schedule while our is easier. If we can play better (which is highly doable), we can catch them.What did the Twins prove once again today? They are the luckiest team, bar none, in all of professional sports. And as the old saying goes, it's better to be lucky than good.

Paid Santiago
08-01-2004, 05:31 PM
all we need is a 36 win 20 loss finish and here comes october

:rolleyes:

Paid Santiago
08-01-2004, 09:30 PM
The only way this club is going to get out of their current funk, short of the return of Maggs and Frank, is for them to stop playing home-run derby and start trying to play baseball

i WANT someone to look @ the hitters swings, do u really see them trying to lift the ball?

I also remember that most of the time when people hit home runs its because they put a nice even swing on the ball.

SoxxoS
08-01-2004, 09:36 PM
If the Twins keep playing like this, they are going to win the World Series.

CWSGuy406
08-01-2004, 09:42 PM
If the Twins keep playing like this, they are going to win the World Series.
Hell - if the Twins play this well against all of their competition the rest of the season, then they deserve to win the division...

South Side
08-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Hell - if the Twins play this well against all of their competition the rest of the season, then they deserve to win the division...
Are we joking around here? The Twins are not going to continue to play like this...

SoxFan76
08-02-2004, 12:00 AM
Are we joking around here? The Twins are not going to continue to play like this...
They've been doing it since 2001