PDA

View Full Version : Loiaza trade question

gosox41
08-01-2004, 08:19 AM
The Mets were interested in trading for Loaiza before they went after Zambrano. For trading Zambrano the D-Rays received Kazmir, a top left handed pitching prospect (some say the Mets #1 pitching prospect?)

Do you think KW should have gone after the trade with the Mets then the trade with the Yankees? If the Sox have discovered the flaw in Contreras' delivery and can correct it then I have no problem bringing him in over Kazmir. But where have we heard this before? The problem is Contreras is getting a lot of money over the next 2 seasons and if he continues to pitch like this it will be hard to move him. It will also hurt the Sox flexilbility in getting other players. On the flip side, Kazmir is cheap, according to some has a huge upside, is a lefty, and would be Sox property for 6 years.

If Contrereas were having a better season I'd be in favor of him, but I'm thinking Kazmir would have been a stronger option. A veteran pitcher is nice. But a veteran pitcher with a 5.6 ERA getting paid a lot of money isn't so nice.

This will be a test in KW and his staff's scouting ability to find this flaw and the coaches to correct it.

Bob

Flight #24
08-01-2004, 08:21 AM
The Mets were interested in trading for Loaiza before they went after Zambrano. For trading Zambrano the D-Rays received Kazmir, a top left handed pitching prospect (some say the Mets #1 pitching prospect?)

Do you think KW should have gone after the trade with the Mets then the trade with the Yankees? If the Sox have discovered the flaw in Contreras' delivery and can correct it then I have no problem bringing him in over Kazmir. But where have we heard this before? The problem is Contreras is getting a lot of money over the next 2 seasons and if he continues to pitch like this it will be hard to move him. It will also hurt the Sox flexilbility in getting other players. On the flip side, Kazmir is cheap, according to some has a huge upside, is a lefty, and would be Sox property for 6 years.

If Contrereas were having a better season I'd be in favor of him, but I'm thinking Kazmir would have been a stronger option. A veteran pitcher is nice. But a veteran pitcher with a 5.6 ERA getting paid a lot of money isn't so nice.

This will be a test in KW and his staff's scouting ability to find this flaw and the coaches to correct it.

Bob
If Contreras were having a better season, you wouldn't be getting him for Loaiza.

And so far, the Sox have had prety good results getting veteran pitchers and "tweaking" them. This guy has the best stuff of anyone they've gotten in that way, so hopefully they can have even better results from him.

samram
08-01-2004, 08:28 AM
If Contreras were having a better season, you wouldn't be getting him for Loaiza.

And so far, the Sox have had prety good results getting veteran pitchers and "tweaking" them. This guy has the best stuff of anyone they've gotten in that way, so hopefully they can have even better results from him.
Yeah, I'm surprised they could get a major league pitcher for Loaiza at this point. He has all the markings of a guy with shoulder problems, with his decrease in velocity. As for Contreras, he has the best stuff of anyone on the Sox staff, certainly among the starters.

Rex Hudler
08-01-2004, 08:39 AM
If KW would have traded Loaiza for Kazmir, it may very well have been a good move for the long term. But it would basically signify waving a white flag on this season, and we all know how popular that would have been with Sox fans.

Flight #24
08-01-2004, 09:19 AM
If KW would have traded Loaiza for Kazmir, it may very well have been a good move for the long term. But it would basically signify waving a white flag on this season, and we all know how popular that would have been with Sox fans.
Yeah, Contreras has a chance to have a big impact next year, when this team can still contend. Kazmir might have come up next year, but likely wouldn't be an impact player until 06 at the earliest, by which point we may well be without Maggs, Frank, Koney, Valentin and who knows who else. He'd still be valuable to keep us competitive long term, but little impact during the time this team can contend.

Win1ForMe
08-01-2004, 10:07 AM

Bob
You can't assume the Mets would have given Kazmir to the White Sox for Loaiza. Zambrano has pitched better this year and is not a free agent at the end of the season. Although I'm sure common sense won't stop you from bringing up how bad of a GM Kenny was for not getting Kazmir, especially if he becomes a star.