PDA

View Full Version : Catcher

jabrch
08-01-2004, 05:53 AM
I am surprised. KW didn't get Kendall, he wasn't involved in the LoDuca trades. And he wasn't involved in the Charles johnson sale.

Any chance a Kendall deal could happen after he trade deadline?

Alslo no movement for Carlos Beltran - is he a possible candidate for a trade in the next few weeks

mdep524
08-01-2004, 08:09 AM
I am surprised. KW didn't get Kendall, he wasn't involved in the LoDuca trades. And he wasn't involved in the Charles johnson sale.

Alslo no movement for Carlos Beltran - is he a possible candidate for a trade in the next few weeks
Well, all players must pass through waivers before they can be traded now. There is no way on God's green Earth that none of the 29 other teams aren't going to make a waiver claim for Beltran, so he likely won't be traded.

Jason Kendall however.... I was thinking about this last night. There is a pretty good chance he might pass through waivers, given the size of his contract, which could make him very trade-able. I hope KW is still on the situation, because he would still be a nice pick up for '04 and beyond (given the Bucos pick up some of his contract).

gosox41
08-01-2004, 08:57 AM
Well, all players must pass through waivers before they can be traded now. There is no way on God's green Earth that none of the 29 other teams aren't going to make a waiver claim for Beltran, so he likely won't be traded.

Jason Kendall however.... I was thinking about this last night. There is a pretty good chance he might pass through waivers, given the size of his contract, which could make him very trade-able. I hope KW is still on the situation, because he would still be a nice pick up for '04 and beyond (given the Bucos pick up some of his contract).
I hope the Sox go after Kendall. He probably can be had cheap and Pittsburgh will probably pick up some of his salary.

Bob

samram
08-01-2004, 09:12 AM
I hope the Sox go after Kendall. He probably can be had cheap and Pittsburgh will probably pick up some of his salary.

Bob
He would be a nice pickup. I think any trade KW makes now should be made for players with years remaining on their deals. If they can contribute this year, that's a bonus, but realistically, unless they know Frank and/or Maggs is coming back within a few weeks, they should be preparing to win next year.

gosox41
08-01-2004, 09:19 AM
He would be a nice pickup. I think any trade KW makes now should be made for players with years remaining on their deals. If they can contribute this year, that's a bonus, but realistically, unless they know Frank and/or Maggs is coming back within a few weeks, they should be preparing to win next year.
Kendall has 4 years left on his contract.

Bob

samram
08-01-2004, 09:25 AM

Bob
Right, that's why Kendall would be a good, worthwhile pickup. Rent-a-players aren't worth it now.

Rex Hudler
08-01-2004, 09:41 AM
The Sox will need to make a mini run in a positive direction before that kind of move is made. I like Kendall short term, but I am not 100% sold he would be worth the money he is getting down the road.

greenpeach
08-01-2004, 10:48 AM

Bob
If Maggs & Frank had stayed healthy, KW would've gone after Kendall full blast to win the pennant now. With those two devastating injuries, the sense of urgency was gone.

ChiSoxBobette
08-01-2004, 11:04 AM

We don't know thats true that KW was'nt in there attempting to get a Paul Laduca or even Kendall , yesterday was the 1st time I heard that we all but had Carlos Delgado buthe vetoed the trade & I heard that we trying to trade Loaiza to the mets for those prospects they sent to Florida, so who really knows what was taking place, but I for one am glad KW did'nt trade anymore of our prospects , I think we sent way to many off already and don't have anything to show for it.

jabrch
08-01-2004, 12:00 PM
We don't know thats true that KW was'nt in there attempting to get a Paul Laduca or even Kendall , yesterday was the 1st time I heard that we all but had Carlos Delgado buthe vetoed the trade & I heard that we trying to trade Loaiza to the mets for those prospects they sent to Florida, so who really knows what was taking place, but I for one am glad KW did'nt trade anymore of our prospects , I think we sent way to many off already and don't have anything to show for it.
We don't know what he was trying to do - that's true. I hope a Kendall deal can still happen.

Paulwny
08-01-2004, 12:50 PM

KW may have inquired and was told that Kendall won't waive his trade clause for a non-west coast team.

maurice
08-02-2004, 05:26 PM
As I mentioned about a week ago, IMHO Kendall's contract makes him an excellent candidate to clear waivers. The same goes for Randy Johnson and Charles Johnson. OTOH, I seriously doubt that JR will authorize enough money for KW to get any of these players, even if the other teams sends a boat-load of cash.

wdelaney72
08-02-2004, 05:34 PM
JR will not approve $$ for Kendall given the way the team is currently playing. Adding Kendall does not single handedly put the Sox in the WS.

If Maggs and Frank could make it back and they go on a role, maybe. But then again, they likely will not be back any time soon.

It doesn't look so good.

Brian26
08-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Kendall will be on the waiver-wire. He may still end up somewhere besides Pittsburgh.

JB98
08-02-2004, 05:40 PM
As I mentioned about a week ago, IMHO Kendall's contract makes him an excellent candidate to clear waivers. The same goes for Randy Johnson and Charles Johnson. OTOH, I seriously doubt that JR will authorize enough money for KW to get any of these players, even if the other teams sends a boat-load of cash.
I don't think RJ would clear waivers, and he'd never approve a deal to Chicago regardless of what JR does or does not authorize. And CJ has refused to waive his no-trade clause as well. Kendall would definitely clear waivers, and there's a good reason for that. His contract is an albatross that no franchise wants. If KW acquires him, I will be furious. I don't care if Kendall could help us this year. There is no way on earth that he is worth $12 million a year over the next four years or whatever the hell it is he's being paid. That would cripple us from filling a much more pressing need, namely pitching. It costs money to get good pitchers, and I'll take good pitchers every day of the week over an offensive-minded catcher.

thepaulbowski
08-02-2004, 05:42 PM
I think we sent way to many off already and don't have anything to show for it.
Freddy Garcia?

Flight #24
08-02-2004, 05:52 PM
I don't think RJ would clear waivers, and he'd never approve a deal to Chicago regardless of what JR does or does not authorize. And CJ has refused to waive his no-trade clause as well. Kendall would definitely clear waivers, and there's a good reason for that. His contract is an albatross that no franchise wants. If KW acquires him, I will be furious. I don't care if Kendall could help us this year. There is no way on earth that he is worth $12 million a year over the next four years or whatever the hell it is he's being paid. That would cripple us from filling a much more pressing need, namely pitching. It costs money to get good pitchers, and I'll take good pitchers every day of the week over an offensive-minded catcher.
The deal would almost certainly be Kendall + $$$ for some low level prospects. The key to it is exactly how many $ come over from PIT.

I'd take Kendall at 6mil/yr for 4 years. Pirates send over $14mil and we send over PTBNL who ends up being Lucy. Or something like Bajenaru or some such mid-value prospect.

Erik The Red
08-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Unless the Marlins re-sign LoDuca before season's end, we'd be out of our minds not to go after him. He hits .300, and is every bit the "grinder" that Jason Kendall is, at a much cheaper price to boot. We don't need Kendall to lead off, we have ARow.

akingamongstmen
08-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Unless the Marlins re-sign LoDuca before season's end, we'd be out of our minds not to go after him. He hits .300, and is every bit the "grinder" that Jason Kendall is, at a much cheaper price to boot. We don't need Kendall to lead off, we have ARow.
I second that.