PDA

View Full Version : Imagine that... (Valentin/Relief Pitchers)

Region Sox
08-01-2004, 01:47 AM
Missed the game tonight (fortunately) and I checked the box score. Valentin had 2 Ks and an error? I find that hard to believe! A relief pitcher walked in a run to lose the game? No way! Boy, that never happens.

I know it sucks we lost our #3 and #4 hitters. I am still not sure how much they would help- we may have won a few more games but defense and poor pitching has hurt us as of late as well. Trading Olivo (although we were in much need of pitching) was a bad move. I think he was solid defensively, could hit and hit for power, had good speed and who knows what effect he had in the clubhouse. Since his trade we had the sweep in MN but played flat more so that we have played well. He was a spark for sure. We could have gotten someone else other than Garcia that could give us similar outings (probably with fewer HRs allowed) for a lot less.

StockdaleForVeep
08-01-2004, 01:56 AM
Missed the game tonight (fortunately) and I checked the box score. Valentin had 2 Ks and an error? I find that hard to believe! A relief pitcher walked in a run to lose the game? No way! Boy, that never happens.

I know it sucks we lost our #3 and #4 hitters. I am still not sure how much they would help- we may have won a few more games but defense and poor pitching has hurt us as of late as well. Trading Olivo (although we were in much need of pitching) was a bad move. I think he was solid defensively, could hit and hit for power, had good speed and who knows what effect he had in the clubhouse. Since his trade we had the sweep in MN but played flat more so that we have played well. He was a spark for sure. We could have gotten someone else other than Garcia that could give us similar outings (probably with fewer HRs allowed) for a lot less.
The one thing i was relieved of was this time manos' error didnt lead to the go ahead winning run as it did the past how many times this week?

Nellie_Fox
08-01-2004, 02:35 AM
Pitching and defense. I've been told on this board on more than one occasion that I'm out of step with modern baseball by continuing to preach this.

Your offense comes from the corners (and in the AL, the DH.) Up the middle needs to be solid defensively.

space_monkey
08-01-2004, 02:58 AM
I for one would love it if the sox were a team with an emphasis on speed and defense... but that said I was just fine with the way things were when maggs and frank were in the lineup. Obviously it would take a major overhaul to change things now...