PDA

View Full Version : good luck and thanks, Esteban

BainesHOF
08-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Loaiza always gave everything he had to us. Last year was one of the best seasons a Sox pitcher has ever had. He was such a great underdog story, coming out of nowhere to have an unbelievable season, even starting the All-Star Game in his own park.

Even as he struggled this year, it was clear how great a competitor he is. He just didn't have it this season. I think last year's innings took their toll on him. Look at Halliday, who has to go on the disabled list with a tired arm. I think Loaiza has suffered similarly, but he took the ball every fifth day and did his best.

On the radio today, Ed Farmer said Loaiza was in state of shock when informed of the trade. Loaiza even mentioned to Farmer that since he'll be a free agent he'll be able to return.

I don't know how realistic it is that Loaiza will return. Probably not very. But it's nice to know that's how much he appreciated pitching for us. I wish him nothing but the best. It was fun to watch him pitch for us while it lasted.

Soxzilla
08-01-2004, 01:16 AM
I'd love him to come back cheap. But it just isn't gonna happen, especially with the money that NY will throw at him if he pitches consistently. I wish him luck as well, 2003 wouldn't have even been interesting had he not been there for us.

Good luck E lo.:(:

South Side
08-01-2004, 01:18 AM
Loaiza always gave everything he had to us. Last year was one of the best seasons a Sox pitcher has ever had. He was such a great underdog story, coming out of nowhere to have an unbelievable season, even starting the All-Star Game in his own park.

Even as he struggled this year, it was clear how great a competitor he is. He just didn't have it this season. I think last year's innings took their toll on him. Look at Halliday, who has to go on the disabled list with a tired arm. I think Loaiza has suffered similarly, but he took the ball every fifth day and did his best.

On the radio today, Ed Farmer said Loaiza was in state of shock when informed of the trade. Loaiza even mentioned to Farmer that since he'll be a free agent he'll be able to return.

I don't know how realistic it is that Loaiza will return. Probably not very. But it's nice to know that's how much he appreciated pitching for us. I wish him nothing but the best. It was fun to watch him pitch for us while it lasted.
Aw, that's nice. I didn't know he liked Chicago so much.

mjmcend
08-01-2004, 01:19 AM
I second this notion. He was a great pitcher last year and an even better story. He was a true highlight of last years dissapointing season. I wish him the best of luck (unless we, by some act of God, face the Yankees in the playoffs). He was a pleasure and when he was on last year, he was probably the best Sox pitcher I have seen in my short life thus far. And hopefully when we get back in this race, lets hope Loaiza can take down the Twinkes when the Yanks face them later this year.

Aidan
08-01-2004, 01:20 AM
I'll tell you what. Watching him last season was amazing. He was an ace without question. Now that I think about it, it is funny that I was more excited about seeing him pitch than Bartolo Colon. Now, Colon wishes he could have a season like Loaiza did last year. It's a shame that he's lost his intensity and "going right at the batter" attitude.

mjmcend
08-01-2004, 01:21 AM
Aw, that's nice. I didn't know he liked Chicago so much.
Farmer also said that he was very thankful that we picked him off the scrap heap and gave him a chance to resurrect his career. And he did tie the record for most wins by a Mexican born pitcher as our reward for our faith in him.

Aidan
08-01-2004, 01:23 AM
Farmer also said that he was very thankful that we picked him off the scrap heap and gave him a chance to resurrect his career. And he did tie the record for most wins by a Mexican born pitcher as our reward for our faith in him.Yep, Fernando Valenzuela. He was unhittable last season.

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-01-2004, 01:23 AM
yep. he pitched his heart out for this team. HE pitched with the flu last season vs the twins in that crucial september series at the baggy dome, which probably costed him the cy young award because he wasn't as dominate that night when everyone was watching. I'll never forget his 2003 performance. Thanks for the memories Esty.

BigEdWalsh
08-01-2004, 01:29 AM
:threadrules:

Last year Esteban was GREAT. This year at least the guy gave all he had. I've heard he's a really nice guy and wish him the best. :cheers:

skobabe8
08-01-2004, 01:44 AM
Good luck, E-Lo! Go knock Boston out of the wildcard race for us! (As a matter of fact, just never lose another game to anyone in the wildcard and the AL Central) We need all the help we can get!

pczarapa
08-01-2004, 01:51 AM
Yep, Fernando Valenzuela. He was unhittable last season.
Thanks for the laugh! I needed it!!! :gulp: