PDA

View Full Version : Question on arb processa for FAs

Flight #24
07-31-2004, 10:07 PM
Something occurrd to me. With Maggs injured, might the Sox not even get comp picks for him? My understanding of the arb process is that you have to offer arb and have it declined in order to get the picks. The risk is taht the player accepts arb, in which case they can only get like a 10% salary reduction max form this year or any size increase.

So - with Maggs hurt, will the Sox risk him accepting a 13mil arb deal? It would only be 1 year, but it's a big risk if he doesn't see the field again this year. In that case, I could see not offering arb (since I don't think he'd get anything close to $13mil on the market if he doesn't play again in 04), and we lose him for nothing.

Anyone with a more detailed understanding of the process have any confirmation or correction?

Daver
07-31-2004, 10:25 PM
Something occurrd to me. With Maggs injured, might the Sox not even get comp picks for him? My understanding of the arb process is that you have to offer arb and have it declined in order to get the picks. The risk is taht the player accepts arb, in which case they can only get like a 10% salary reduction max form this year or any size increase.

So - with Maggs hurt, will the Sox risk him accepting a 13mil arb deal? It would only be 1 year, but it's a big risk if he doesn't see the field again this year. In that case, I could see not offering arb (since I don't think he'd get anything close to $13mil on the market if he doesn't play again in 04), and we lose him for nothing.

Anyone with a more detailed understanding of the process have any confirmation or correction?
You have it correct for the most part.

This is gamble time for Magglio and his agent, they could sign a one year deal before the season is over which would reset the arbitration numbers for next season, or they gamble on the fact that his injury will not hurt his value in free agency. I highly doubt the Sox will offer him arbitration at the end of the season.

Aidan
07-31-2004, 10:29 PM
Damn, I really wish we could have traded Maggs for Andruw Jones at this point. :whiner:

samram
07-31-2004, 10:30 PM
You have it correct for the most part.

This is gamble time for Magglio and his agent, they could sign a one year deal before the season is over which would reset the arbitration numbers for next season, or they gamble on the fact that his injury will not hurt his value in free agency. I highly doubt the Sox will offer him arbitration at the end of the season.
Well, it that's the case, it means they have no intention of signing him, because I believe they lose all negotiation rights until May 1. But I think you're right. They won't offer arbitration because at this point he would probably accept and take the $13M.

Rex Hudler
07-31-2004, 11:58 PM
The limit is actually 20% of the previous year's salary and earned bonuses. So the lowest amount he could earn would be $11.2 million, plus whatever bonuses he may have earned this year (I wouldn't think that would be much with him hurt)........

The likelihood of him actually getting only $11.2 million is small. I don't think the Sox would submit that low of a figure, because I don't think an arbitrator would make him take that big of a cut since he was injured.

All that said, I do think they will offer him arbitration. That could change based on what other players they bring in before that time, but I don't think the Sox would have a problem keeping him for another year.