PDA

View Full Version : Some positive thoughts from Jayson Stark

Bruck35
07-31-2004, 10:04 PM
Althought it won't take the away the burn from losing to another bases loaded BB, Jayson Stark seems to agree with many of the people on this board. When talking about Loaiza and Contreras, he writes:

"Loaiza is a two-time All-Star. But he's also "not throwing very well," warned one AL scout. 'He's lost velocity since last year.' And another scout, asked to compare Loaiza's stuff to Contreras' stuff, said: 'Not only does Contreras have better stuff. It's two grades better. Contreras has No. 1 stuff if he can ever figure out a way to be more consistent. If I'm the Yankees, I wouldn't feel real good at all about running Loaiza out there in October. He's a guy who has had one good year. And it just happened to be his contract year.'"

Though those words don't automatically mean more W's, it's good to read other AL scouts agreeing that the Contreras move has a potentially huge upside, and that Loaiza is on the down side.

Here's the link - http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1850117

owensmouth
07-31-2004, 10:11 PM
I still think Steinbottom dumped a big expense on a sucker. He knows Loaiza will be gone in two months, but he saved umpteen million bucks. If Contraras couldn't win with A Rod at third, how's he gonna do it with Crede?

batmanZoSo
07-31-2004, 10:49 PM
If Contraras couldn't win with A Rod at third, how's he gonna do it with Crede?
HAHHAAHAHAH...that's awesome.

SouthBendSox
07-31-2004, 11:02 PM
zoso

hilarious

memories

nitetrain8601
08-01-2004, 03:52 AM
HAHHAAHAHAH...that's awesome.
Crede is a top 3 defensive 3b in the AL. A-Rod isn't. At least yet.

dickallen15
08-01-2004, 11:15 AM
I still think Steinbottom dumped a big expense on a sucker. He knows Loaiza will be gone in two months, but he saved umpteen million bucks. If Contraras couldn't win with A Rod at third, how's he gonna do it with Crede?Contreras has the best stuff on the Sox staff right now. With his family here, and away from the microscope of the NY press, he may flourish. Esty was gone from here at the end of this season. Maybe the Sox do know of a flaw where he is tipping his pitches. If he puts it together, he is Cy Young material.

SEALgep
08-01-2004, 11:34 AM
I still think Steinbottom dumped a big expense on a sucker. He knows Loaiza will be gone in two months, but he saved umpteen million bucks. If Contraras couldn't win with A Rod at third, how's he gonna do it with Crede?:?: How the hell does the third baseman come into play? Besides, defensively, Crede is above average.

owensmouth
08-01-2004, 11:45 AM
:?: How the hell does the third baseman come into play? Besides, defensively, Crede is above average.
What I am saying is that the Yankees have superior talent at virtually every position. Catcher, third base, shortstop, 2d base, right field... Contraras, on a team of quality players, was a bit better than a .500 pitcher. Loaiza, playing for a the Sox, did much better. I personally think Contraras could dominate at double A level. Major league? At best, he'll duplicate Loaiza, but be more expensive. No one's gonna want this guy in three weeks. Yet we're stuck with his salary for two more years.

wsgdf
08-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Contreras already has dominated at this level - check out his numbers last year.

I have very good feeling s about this tradr - especially because it measn we have three guys now who have the potential to natch up with any other three - and potentially, Contreras will be the best of the bunch:

Contreras
Garcia
Buehrle

Very nice.

Flight #24
08-01-2004, 11:51 AM
Check his game log. He's dominant for a number of games, but then gets absolutely shellacked. Even if he repeats that sequence here, he'll be better than ELo who was consistently giving up 4-6 runs. Jose will win you 3 and then lose you 1.

SoxxoS
08-01-2004, 12:12 PM
But the question is, can he hit?

I think if we had Mike Hampton in our rotation, he might be our #1 bat off the bench. :o:

BainesHOF
08-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Crede is a top 3 defensive 3b in the AL.
Crede's defense is overrated, as if because he's such a bad hitter that it somehow elevates his defense in some people's eyes.

Just in the last two-and-a-half weeks, Crede screwed up three pop fouls, saw a grounder go through his legs and botched a high chopper.

SoxxoS
08-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Crede's defense is overrated, as if because he's such a bad hitter that it somehow elevates his defense in some people's eyes.

Just in the last two-and-a-half weeks, Crede screwed up three pop fouls, saw a grounder go through his legs and botched a high chopper.
I agree with that.

jeremyb1
08-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Yeah there's some real positive stuff in that article about Contreras but unfortunately I can't take it at all seriously after earlier in the article he quotes a scout as saying that the LA-Florida deal was a steal for the Marlins because they traded their number five starter (who just happens to be a 26 year old with a 3.15 ERA but apparently that's not important).