PDA

View Full Version : Comforting words to the disconsolate sox fan.

Jurr
07-31-2004, 09:36 PM
Man, I have gone from the point of being terribly pissed to just laughing about the last week. I know that this pill is tough to swallow, and most Sox fans are packing it in and waiting for the football season. Hope you're not Bears fans.
Here's a couple of things to think about.

1. We are losing because of injuries. Period. Any team that suffers catastrophic injuries to their best two players is going to do the same thing, especially when your team is built around the talents of guys like Maggs and Frank. This lineup is terribly anemic, and we know that we would be winning like crazy if we had the guys we started the season with. Hitting is contagious and it's a helluva lot easier to hit when you've got the protection that 30 and 35 offer.

2. What's up with the pitching? Well, you've gotta make perfect pitches when your offense isn't hitting, and that's going to cause you to overthink, overthrow, and lose the strike zone. Mike Jackson is horrible, and Politte is as clutch as an automatic VW bug. Beyond those guys, any problem with pitching is related to the offense's lack of support.

3. Can this thing be done? I don't know, and I don't care. The Sox are 5 games back and spinning out of control. They may get a couple of wins put together, have the Twins and Tribe lose a couple, and then everybody will be happy again and not slitting their wrists. I am a little skeptical that this team has the talent in the lineup to do it, but I could be wrong.

4. As fans, we're not ultimately happy unless a WS ring is the outcome. This team without Frank and Maggs is not a world series team, so we can't really be expecting the world. Losses suck, and that's why we're the best fans in the world. But, if we expect the talent we have to win it all, we're betting our future happiness that Jessica Simpson is going to dump her hubby and marry us. It's about the same delusion that leads you to heartache. Just enjoy baseball and hope for the best.

I know this thing blows ass right now, but there's lots of ball to be played, who knows what will happen, and there's a couple of very good reasons that this is happening. If we were healthy and this was going on, I'd be abusing some kind of household chemicals.

Keep being great fans, guys. I know it's really hard right now.

South Side
07-31-2004, 09:43 PM
Didn't the Twins lose like 14 out of 16 games last year? :?: I believe they won the division...

Why is it that I feel bad for thinking of positive things?

Cellview22
07-31-2004, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the comforting words. Man, this has been the worst week I've had in a long time. I've been feeling physically sick watching every game. And to think the Cubs fans are rejoicing and talking World Series today only makes that pit in my stomach worse.

To describe how I feel...I kind of feel like going out tomorrow and purchasing a bat just so I can bring it home and start swinging it longball style and smashing everything in my apartment to relieve all this pain.. Obviously I would never do that, but that explains how I'm feeling.

DickAllen72
07-31-2004, 09:48 PM
Here's some more words of comfort:

The Sox do this very same thing every year, even with Maggs and Frank. Last year they went through this in September, with Maggs and Frank.

This year, they're having their meltdown in July. If they can just get over it while being only five back, maybe Valentin will go on another of his 10 home runs in two weeks streak, Crede will have one of his hot August/Septembers, Uribe go on another of his .400 hitting streaks, Konerko won't go south, and Carl and Carlos will stay their solid selves. Add to that continued solid starts by Mark and Freddie, Contreras gets hot, and Shingo keeps shutting 'em down and the White Sox become 2004 AL Central Champs! Maybe Frank or Maggs will be back for the playoffs!

Go Go White Sox!
:) :bandance: :gulp:

Jjav829
07-31-2004, 09:50 PM
Man, I have gone from the point of being terribly pissed to just laughing about the last week. I know that this pill is tough to swallow, and most Sox fans are packing it in and waiting for the football season. Hope you're not Bears fans.
Here's a couple of things to think about.

1. We are losing because of injuries. Period. Any team that suffers catastrophic injuries to their best two players is going to do the same thing, especially when your team is built around the talents of guys like Maggs and Frank. This lineup is terribly anemic, and we know that we would be winning like crazy if we had the guys we started the season with. Hitting is contagious and it's a helluva lot easier to hit when you've got the protection that 30 and 35 offer.

2. What's up with the pitching? Well, you've gotta make perfect pitches when your offense isn't hitting, and that's going to cause you to overthink, overthrow, and lose the strike zone. Mike Jackson is horrible, and Politte is as clutch as an automatic VW bug. Beyond those guys, any problem with pitching is related to the offense's lack of support.

3. Can this thing be done? I don't know, and I don't care. The Sox are 5 games back and spinning out of control. They may get a couple of wins put together, have the Twins and Tribe lose a couple, and then everybody will be happy again and not slitting their wrists. I am a little skeptical that this team has the talent in the lineup to do it, but I could be wrong.

4. As fans, we're not ultimately happy unless a WS ring is the outcome. This team without Frank and Maggs is not a world series team, so we can't really be expecting the world. Losses suck, and that's why we're the best fans in the world. But, if we expect the talent we have to win it all, we're betting our future happiness that Jessica Simpson is going to dump her hubby and marry us. It's about the same delusion that leads you to heartache. Just enjoy baseball and hope for the best.

I know this thing blows ass right now, but there's lots of ball to be played, who knows what will happen, and there's a couple of very good reasons that this is happening. If we were healthy and this was going on, I'd be abusing some kind of household chemicals.

You wanna comfort me? Tell me you actually really know something about Jason Kendall as you hinted toward in the other thread. That's about all that can comfort me right now.

South Side
07-31-2004, 09:50 PM

The Sox do this very same thing every year, even with Maggs and Frank. Last year they went through this in September, with Maggs and Frank.

This year, they're having their meltdown in July. If they can just get over it while being only five back, maybe Valentin will go on another of his 10 home runs in two weeks streak, Crede will have one of his hot August/Septembers, Uribe go on another of his .400 hitting streaks, Konerko won't go south, and Carl and Carlos will stay their solid selves. Add to that continued solid starts by Mark and Freddie, Contreras gets hot, and Shingo keeps shutting 'em down and the White Sox become 2004 AL Central Champs! Maybe Frank or Maggs will be back for the playoffs!

Go Go White Sox!
I don't think this is quite the same. Our lineup (without injuries) + Ozzie = Playoffs. Last year, we choked... I don't see that happening this year. If we had stayed healthy, we would have won the division.

Jurr
07-31-2004, 09:51 PM
OH....and to all of you hating the Cubs fans' delight....remember one thing.

They're the Cubs.
They choke every year.
And, when expectations are high, you have no reason to lose (leading Florida 3-1 with Wood and Prior pitching the next two games and a trip to the world ser....wait. Nope)....it really hurts. And it will hurt even worse this year. They are not going to win a ring this year. And it's gonna kill 'em.

Aidan
07-31-2004, 09:51 PM
I don't think this is quite the same. Our lineup (without injuries) + Ozzie = Playoffs. Last year, we choked... I don't see that happening this year. If we had stayed healthy, we would have won the division.Agreed. If we were 100% healthy, I have no doubt in my mind that we win the division.

Jurr
07-31-2004, 09:55 PM
As far as the Kendall thing goes, the only thing I've heard so far by a guy in the know is that he's hearing that the Bucs don't expect to see Kendall here by the end of the season. So, does that mean we pick him up when he's waived? Don't know. Right now, Pittsburgh's big dogs are thinking they can make some type of run at a wild card. When they realize they're the pirates, things will happen. Like I said, I will know more later. He's eating up a lot of payroll that they don't want to soak into one guy, especially during this rebuilding phase.

Aidan
07-31-2004, 09:59 PM
As far as the Kendall thing goes, the only thing I've heard so far by a guy in the know is that he's hearing that the Bucs don't expect to see Kendall here by the end of the season. So, does that mean we pick him up when he's waived? Don't know. Right now, Pittsburgh's big dogs are thinking they can make some type of run at a wild card. When they realize they're the pirates, things will happen. Like I said, I will know more later. He's eating up a lot of payroll that they don't want to soak into one guy, especially during this rebuilding phase.I doubt it matters. Reinsdorf would never let KW pull the trigger on a deal for Kendall. No way would he pay that contract.

JB98
07-31-2004, 10:02 PM

Go Go White Sox!

I'd settle for just one win right now. Amazingly, a win over the Tigers seems a lot to ask.

StrTrkker
07-31-2004, 10:06 PM

Go Go White Sox!
The ONLY positive thing in this 7 game losing streak is the fact its happening now and not mid September. 5 games back...yeah its a lotta games but we have 60 games left and we do play the Twins again 6 more times. Yea...I know with no Frank & maggs in the lineup its a tough hill to climb but its not impossible. Heck...lookit the Cubs...they have no games left with St.Louis.

Bottom line is we need offensive punch in the lineup. And with no help coming anytime soon we have to hope that Konerko, Everett, Valentin, & Crede step up and join Lee & Rowand on a August tear. Harris, Borchard, Perez & Uribe aint gonna do it.

batmanZoSo
07-31-2004, 10:07 PM
Agreed. If we were 100% healthy, I have no doubt in my mind that we win the division.
Bullcrap. When we had em both we weren't winning ####. They'd take first for a day then lose it the next. Believe me, this team will find a way to lose.

Jurr
07-31-2004, 10:08 PM
I don't know about JR not letting KW get a crack at Kendall. He almost let KW get Delgado today, and that's a HUGE contract. IT came down to not waiving the no trade clause.

DickAllen72
07-31-2004, 10:12 PM
I don't think this is quite the same. Our lineup (without injuries) + Ozzie = Playoffs. Last year, we choked... I don't see that happening this year. If we had stayed healthy, we would have won the division.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas. Injuries are part of the game. Every team has them. You either cry about them or deal with them and move on.

Look, it can very well be that Valentin will go on another of his 10 home runs in two weeks tears, Crede will have one of his hot August/Septembers, Uribe gets hot again, Konerko doesn't go south, and Carl and Carlos stay their solid selves. These things have happened more than once before.

If they do, and the pitching holds out, the Sox should be able to win the division even without Frank and Maggs. Then they may even get one of them back for the playoffs if they're lucky. Getting both back would make them legitimate WS contenders, but that would really be getting lucky.

Don't give up!

Flight #24
07-31-2004, 10:16 PM
Not to mention that for '05, we've got a potentially dominant pitching staff, the O will improve by leaps & bounds with Frank back @#3, and the pen with the loss of Jackson. We also have a potential payroll bump from the increased attendance that may let us get a couple of relievers and a vet catcher (Zaun-esque guy).

South Side
07-31-2004, 10:20 PM
If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas. Injuries are part of the game. Every team has them. You either cry about them or deal with them and move on.

Look, it can very well be that Valentin will go on another of his 10 home runs in two weeks tears, Crede will have one of his hot August/Septembers, Uribe gets hot again, Konerko doesn't go south, and Carl and Carlos stay their solid selves. These things have happened more than once before.

If they do, and the pitching holds out, the Sox should be able to win the division even without Frank and Maggs. Then they may even get one of them back for the playoffs if they're lucky. Getting both back would make them legitimate WS contenders, but that would really be getting lucky.

Don't give up!
Hey, I'm all for it.

Aidan
07-31-2004, 10:20 PM
I don't know about JR not letting KW get a crack at Kendall. He almost let KW get Delgado today, and that's a HUGE contract. IT came down to not waiving the no trade clause.Maybe, but we don't know what the deal was. I doubt this but maybe Toronto sends us money. Also, Delgado would be a free agent after this season so we wouldn't owe him anything and we would get draft pick(s) for losing him.

batmanZoSo
07-31-2004, 10:21 PM
Not to mention that for '05, we've got a potentially dominant pitching staff, the O will improve by leaps & bounds with Frank back @#3, and the pen with the loss of Jackson.
That's funny as hell. Our bullpen will improve dramatically just by losing Jackson. That's probably true :redneck

DickAllen72
07-31-2004, 10:24 PM
The ONLY positive thing in this 7 game losing streak is the fact its happening now and not mid September. 5 games back...yeah its a lotta games but we have 60 games left and we do play the Twins again 6 more times.

Bottom line is we need offensive punch in the lineup. And with no help coming anytime soon we have to hope that Konerko, Everett, Valentin, & Crede step up and join Lee & Rowand on a August tear.

When Everett's right, he can carry a team. Konerko is having a good season so far, and Valentin has always been streaky. If Valentin goes on one of his home run streaks, and Crede has his usual hot last two months, we may be playing well into October.

It ain't over til it's over. Keep the faith! :gulp:

Nard
07-31-2004, 10:30 PM
Uh, yeah, 60 games anyone?

If it was a little bit into September now, I could understand the concern.

But, Jesus Christ people, we haven't even played a game in August yet.

Calm down already. 5 games back is bad, but it doesn't warrant this kind of homicidal anger.

We will win the division.

DickAllen72
07-31-2004, 10:46 PM

But, people, we haven't even played a game in August yet.

Calm down already. 5 games back is bad, but it doesn't warrant this kind of homicidal anger.

We will win the division.

Hear hear! (Or is it "here here"? Or "hear here"?) :)

Jjav829
07-31-2004, 10:55 PM
Maybe, but we don't know what the deal was. I doubt this but maybe Toronto sends us money. Also, Delgado would be a free agent after this season so we wouldn't owe him anything and we would get draft pick(s) for losing him.
We wouldn't have gotten draft picks for him because there is no way he would have been offered arbitration. He's making about $18.5 million this year.

OEO Magglio
07-31-2004, 11:02 PM

But, Jesus Christ people, we haven't even played a game in August yet.

We will win the division.I'm with ya, I still think there is a good chance this club can win the division, it's just really hard to think positive right now, it's so hard to watch these kind of games. I know it's already been alluded to but I'd much rather lose on a walk off grand slam then a walk of walk, that's just bad. I'm not throwing in the towel until we're mathmatically elminated, right now it's a mental hurdle for these guys to win one game I believe to end this losing streak, if they can win tomorrow and get over that hump don't be surprised if they rattle off several in a row.

skobabe8
08-01-2004, 01:06 AM
I'M A HUGE FAN OF THIS THREAD! All of the positive vibes! No matter what else happens on this road trip, people, we have to give this team a warm welcome back home on Aug. 6. Yes, I realize what I just said. No, I'm not intoxicated. Boycotting games isnt gonna help anyone. We're still very much in this thing. Anything can happen. This team needs some loud crowds in august as much as it needs a clutch hit.