PDA

View Full Version : In Case anyone didn't know Bmac is good, strikeouts 16 tonight

OEO Magglio
07-31-2004, 08:45 PM
Bmac tonight, 7 innings, 2 hits, 0 walks, 16 k's.:o:

OEO Magglio
07-31-2004, 11:31 PM
Ugh, mods can you chance it to 16 strikeouts not 16 strikesout.:redface:

Rex Hudler
07-31-2004, 11:42 PM
Brandon is 12-5, 3.39 on the year between Kannapolis and Winston-Salem.

In 21 starts, he has pitched 130 innings, given up 106 hits and 24 walks, while striking out 157. Hitters are batting .232 against him.

OEO Magglio
07-31-2004, 11:48 PM
Ugh, mods can you chance it to 16 strikeouts not 16 strikesout.:redface:Oh man I'm an idiot, o well just leave it how it is, so everyone can see how dumb I am.:redface:

OEO Magglio
07-31-2004, 11:49 PM
Brandon is 12-5, 3.39 on the year between Kannapolis and Winston-Salem.

In 21 starts, he has pitched 130 innings, given up 106 hits and 24 walks, while striking out 157. Hitters are batting .232 against him.This guys stats are out of this world. His k/bb rate is just absurd. Rex, I know he features a good fastball and good curve anyone else have a scouting report on him?

jeremyb1
08-02-2004, 01:37 AM
This guys stats are out of this world. His k/bb rate is just absurd. Rex, I know he features a good fastball and good curve anyone else have a scouting report on him?

Yeah. His K/BB is really just sick. I just hope he continues to advance relatively quickly and limits the long ball. If so, he'll be in great shape.

OEO Magglio
08-02-2004, 02:03 AM
Yeah. His K/BB is really just sick. I just hope he continues to advance relatively quickly and limits the long ball. If so, he'll be in great shape.Jeremy, we agree on something, I guess miracles do happen:tongue::redneck

rdivaldi
08-02-2004, 09:28 AM
This guys stats are out of this world. His k/bb rate is just absurd. Rex, I know he features a good fastball and good curve anyone else have a scouting report on him?
His "out pitch" is some sort of cutter. Brandon's most lethal weapon on the mound is his attitude though. The kid might not be blessed with a 95 mph fastball, but he attacks hitters like Black Jack McDowell. He's a fighter, not a nibbler.

Chisoxfn
08-02-2004, 04:45 PM
His "out pitch" is some sort of cutter. Brandon's most lethal weapon on the mound is his attitude though. The kid might not be blessed with a 95 mph fastball, but he attacks hitters like Black Jack McDowell. He's a fighter, not a nibbler. Actually he has had a steady climb in velocity and now hits 95 on ocassion. He was hitting 96 two starts ago, although from what I heard the gun was wound a little tight that night.

Still, he is pitching in the 93 MPH range, and I think when all is said and done, will be in the 95 MPH range.

His best pitch is his fastball, which sets up all his other pitches nicely. The curve is definately his strikeout pitch, although he would like to get more and more from the fastball, especially now that its got some juice. He has tremendous control of it.

The changeup is new to his arsenal. He has a new grip that he uses and throws it very effective. He has plus command of all three pitches.

The guy is a tremendous prospect, even if Baseball America and some of the other publications don't talk about him. How many people talked about Mark Buehrle and Magglio Ordonez????

Oh ya, Blackjack comparisons have started to definately come up. Two games ago Winston Salem's announcers were comparing him to Prior, in the sense that he is so stinking polished.

Rex Hudler
08-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Actually he has had a steady climb in velocity and now hits 95 on ocassion. He was hitting 96 two starts ago, although from what I heard the gun was wound a little tight that night.

Still, he is pitching in the 93 MPH range, and I think when all is said and done, will be in the 95 MPH range.

His best pitch is his fastball, which sets up all his other pitches nicely. The curve is definately his strikeout pitch, although he would like to get more and more from the fastball, especially now that its got some juice. He has tremendous control of it.

The changeup is new to his arsenal. He has a new grip that he uses and throws it very effective. He has plus command of all three pitches.

The guy is a tremendous prospect, even if Baseball America and some of the other publications don't talk about him. How many people talked about Mark Buehrle and Magglio Ordonez????

Oh ya, Blackjack comparisons have started to definately come up. Two games ago Winston Salem's announcers were comparing him to Prior, in the sense that he is so stinking polished.
He'll climb the prospect charts after this season.

SoxFan76
08-02-2004, 06:33 PM
I thought I saw something that Prior's form is the reason he keeps getting injured. I know I remember reading that on WSI.

Huisj
08-03-2004, 01:07 PM
I thought I saw something that Prior's form is the reason he keeps getting injured. I know I remember reading that on WSI.
Was it the article in the daily herald about how his mechanics strain his elbow? It had a discussion by Mike Marshall in it analyzing his mechanics. It was quite interesting.

SoxxoS
08-03-2004, 02:18 PM
Does anyone want to take wagers on that 95 mph velocity being 88 when we see him in the bigs?

I'll give you 10 to 1.

rdivaldi
08-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Does anyone want to take wagers on that 95 mph velocity being 88 when we see him in the bigs?

I'll give you 10 to 1.
I'm skeptical on that reading as well. Every scouting report has Brian in the 89-92 range. He's not a power pitcher.

I suppose that he could add some mph as he gets older, he is a very young man after all. But you never know...

Mohoney
08-03-2004, 03:25 PM
This guy has some phenomenal peripheral stats. He should be on the fast track through this organization with the kind of heat he throws and his excellent command of his offspeed stuff.

We don't have too many farmhands that look like they can throw 3 legit pitches for strikes, so I would think that this guy will be promoted next year.

Is this guy playing winter ball this year?

Gimm
08-03-2004, 07:52 PM

I'll give you 10 to 1.
It's funny cuz it's true.

Where have you gone Kyle "99 mph" Kane?
Maybe Kris Honel can showcase his "91-94" heat...
Felix Diaz was supposed to feature a fastball that topped out at mid-90's.

Kip Wells (only once he got away from Nardi and joined the Pirates) and Danny Wright are the only ones whose velocity did not disappoint - both topped out at 97 at some point.

That said, if Mac can eventually throw low-to-mid-90's through a tea cup, and then complement that with a very good curve and a decent change....He'll be lights out in the bigs.

*knocks on Wood*

rdivaldi
08-04-2004, 09:55 AM
It's funny cuz it's true.
Where have you gone Kyle "99 mph" Kane?
Maybe Kris Honel can showcase his "91-94" heat...
Felix Diaz was supposed to feature a fastball that topped out at mid-90's.
Well that's not really fair considering Kane and Honel are both injured. Diaz also does throw 93-94, but he's in love with throwing offspeed stuff.

rdivaldi
08-04-2004, 10:07 AM
We don't have too many farmhands that look like they can throw 3 legit pitches for strikes, so I would think that this guy will be promoted next year.

Is this guy playing winter ball this year?
Brandon would have to be dominant in a AA/AAA stint next year in order to be promoted, the kid is still very young. I doubt he'll play winter ball, I'm sure they'll try to keep him fresh for the 2005 season.

Cerberus-WG
08-04-2004, 10:48 AM
If Brandon doesn't eventually throw 95 MPH+, I'll be surprised. As of now, he tops out at 93 but it built like a rail: 6'7 and 180 lbs. Projectable, anyone?

Chisoxfn
08-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Well that's not really fair considering Kane and Honel are both injured. Diaz also does throw 93-94, but he's in love with throwing offspeed stuff. Honel never threw what they advertised, at least not in the Sox system. The few times I saw him pitch, he would top out at 90/91 and was pitching in the upper 80's.

Can't comment on Kane, never saw him pitch. Some guys velocity is hyped, other guys isn't and they come up and sometimes surprise you.

Also, BMAC is about 200 pounds now, but should still add some more weight.

Gimm
08-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Honel never threw what they advertised, at least not in the Sox system. The few times I saw him pitch, he would top out at 90/91 and was pitching in the upper 80's.

That's why I don't believe the reports and wait until I see the guy pitch. Too much BS.

Back to Honel, there is a huge difference between 88 and 94 mph as far as what it does to a hitter's timing/plan - with his two different knuckle curves and a change up, he'd be unhittable with a big fastball.

Will he ever throw as hard as he did in high-school?

Gimm
08-04-2004, 12:36 PM
If Brandon doesn't eventually throw 95 MPH+, I'll be surprised. As of now, he tops out at 93 but it built like a rail: 6'7 and 180 lbs. Projectable, anyone?
How is his change-up progressing?

poorme
08-04-2004, 03:16 PM
i saw Kane throw a wild pitch on an intentional walk with the winning run on 3rd. that is my Kyle Kane story.

Mohoney
08-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Brandon would have to be dominant in a AA/AAA stint next year in order to be promoted, the kid is still very young. I doubt he'll play winter ball, I'm sure they'll try to keep him fresh for the 2005 season.

Sorry. I need to clarify. I didn't mean a promotion to the bigs, I meant a promotion to a higher level in the minors.

I agree about the winter ball, though. It seems like a bad idea to take a kid this green and pile up even more innings on him, unless he is on a REAL FAST TRACK to the bigs.

I would guess that '07 would be his shot to win a roster spot, but if the kid dominates in '05, then that might be pushed up a year.

Eventually, he won't have anything else left to gain by staying on the farm, but that day won't be for at least a year, more likely 2 years. Of course, if the kid wants to take the minors by storm and force his way onto this team in '06 or even September '05, fine by me.

SoxxoS
08-04-2004, 04:04 PM
The Sox know what they are doing when it comes to highly touted pitchers. Let them handle it.

Chisoxfn
08-04-2004, 05:43 PM
How is his change-up progressing? Brandon is very comfortable with his changeup. Its the biggest improvement he's made between this year and last year.

Daver
08-04-2004, 06:26 PM
That's why I don't believe the reports and wait until I see the guy pitch. Too much BS.

Back to Honel, there is a huge difference between 88 and 94 mph as far as what it does to a hitter's timing/plan - with his two different knuckle curves and a change up, he'd be unhittable with a big fastball.

Will he ever throw as hard as he did in high-school?
He averaged 91-92 in HS.

Gimm
08-04-2004, 07:35 PM
He averaged 91-92 in HS.Yes, but he topped out at 94+ at times. People who played on opposing teams still remember him throwing absolute lasers when he needed a strike-out.

Daver
08-04-2004, 07:41 PM
Yes, but he topped out at 94+ at times. People who played on opposing teams still remember him throwing absolute lasers when he needed a strike-out.
I watched every home game he pitched in person, he rarely threw above 92, and when he did his control was suspect to say the least. He doesn't use a fastball as an out pitch anyway, he uses the fastball to set up his change.

Cerberus-WG
08-04-2004, 07:59 PM
How is his change-up progressing?
When I asked him about his changeup, he said that it's still coming along. But don't think he's still a ways away with his changeup, he's coming close to becoming comfortable with it.

he_gone_89
08-05-2004, 06:57 PM
Ugh, mods can you chance it to 16 strikeouts not 16 strikesout.:redface:

wouldn't the mods CHANGE it to 16 strikeouts?