PDA

View Full Version : Sox Get Contreras, Trade Loaiza

CWSGuy406
07-31-2004, 03:37 PM
Gammons reporting on ESPN:

Loaiza to NY for Contreras and cash.

(I thought this was huge news, that's why I made a new thread. Feel free to merge though, mods.)

cheeses_h_rice
07-31-2004, 03:38 PM
Has this been confirmed?

Daver
07-31-2004, 03:40 PM
They just reported it on ESPNnews

Fenway
07-31-2004, 03:40 PM
Has this been confirmed?

McAdam reporting it on EEI as well

OEO Magglio
07-31-2004, 03:41 PM
I LOVE KENNY WILLIAMS.:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

cheeses_h_rice
07-31-2004, 03:43 PM
I'll block out those October dates on my calendar.

lostinlife28
07-31-2004, 03:44 PM
Stupid ****ing trade. The Sox will play the skankees in the playoffs. Just a stupid trade.

infohawk
07-31-2004, 03:44 PM
Well, there's really no downside to this trade. Neither pitcher has had a particularly good year. I don't think the Sox were going to re-sign Loaiza next year anyway. There is potential for this to be a good trade for the Sox. Perhaps a change of scenery along with a Latin presence on the club will benefit Contreras. I don't know his contract status, but I assume he is signed through next year? If so, he can possibly help the team this year while providing an option next year in either the starting rotation or bullpen.

Keep in mind that Contreras may have a better second half in the A.L. Central than the A.L. East.

JoseCanseco6969
07-31-2004, 03:45 PM
I LOVE KENNY WILLIAMS.:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:
HELL YEAH! and the guy on espn were bashing the sox saying we traded our BEST pitcher for an erratic one?? garbage, i love this deal!

Jjav829
07-31-2004, 03:47 PM
It's basically a change of scenery trade. Each team hoping that a change of scenery will help their pitcher. I like the deal. Hopefully the Yankees picked up a good amount of Contreras' contract. When is his first start?

npdempse
07-31-2004, 03:48 PM
How does it help for us to pick up a pitcher when our offense can't manage 4 or 5 runs? Is this a face saving trade for KW--"at least I did something at the trade deadline"?

Not that I'm sad to see Esty go--he really wasn't doing much for us this year.

Rocklive99
07-31-2004, 03:49 PM
HELL YEAH! and the guy on espn were bashing the sox saying we traded our BEST pitcher for an erratic one?? garbage, i love this deal!
Yeah I heard that, I think it was Bill Pidto. Loaiza, our best pitcher? LOL these national guys should not even talk if they dont follow the team at all.

OurBitchinMinny
07-31-2004, 03:50 PM
Both of them suck this year. But the yankees better pick up a ****load of his contract

Daver
07-31-2004, 03:51 PM
How does it help for us to pick up a pitcher when our offense can't manage 4 or 5 runs? Is this a face saving trade for KW--"at least I did something at the trade deadline"?

Contreas is under contract through 2006.

bafiarocks03
07-31-2004, 03:53 PM
Holy Crap you serious!!

fquaye149
07-31-2004, 03:54 PM
Depending how much cash we get, this is probably one of the best trades in recent memory.

HAHAHAHA

Joe Torre must really think Loaiza has a cute face or something. . .because he sure isn't a top-tier pitcher. When's the last time he hasn't given up 6+ runs?

RKMeibalane
07-31-2004, 03:54 PM
I don't think there's any question that the Sox got the better end of this deal. Loaiza is going to get bombed every time he goes out to the mound. I think the Yankees just cost themselves a trip to the WS, based on the fact that Loaiza doesn't have what it takes to win in the post-season.

HomerCoach
07-31-2004, 03:55 PM
mods should open chat for trade talk:smile:

Daver
07-31-2004, 03:57 PM
mods should open chat for trade talk:smile:
The chat room is always open.

jeremyb1
I don't see how anyone can weigh in on this deal without hearing how much cash NY picked up. Admittedly neither guy has pitched well, the difference being that Contreras has a ton of money left on his contract over the next few seasons.

soxwon
my ticket agent(sox) emailed me its official

HomerCoach
07-31-2004, 03:58 PM
The chat room is always open. I'm talking to myself in there:(:

MRKARNO
07-31-2004, 03:58 PM
This is a great trade because now it means that 4/5 of our rotation is set until 2006. Buehrle, Garcia, Garland and Contreras? Not too shabby. And now we have stability. It signals that we are building around starting pitching and not around Magglio Ordonez or the offense. We might have a good offense, but it's not what we're bulding around.

HomeFish
07-31-2004, 03:59 PM
Hopefully this guy is better than the last guy to wear "Contreras" on a Sox jersey.

jeremyb1
07-31-2004, 03:59 PM
Looks like Contreras has about 17 million left on his contract. If we're paying much of that I think this deal is atrocious. Otherwise it's more or less a wash I figure.

Daver
07-31-2004, 04:00 PM
I'm talking to myself in there:(:
Is it a lively conversation?

stads1
07-31-2004, 04:04 PM
Loaiza gone....Contreras comin' in!

jeremyb1
07-31-2004, 04:04 PM
This is a great trade because now it means that 4/5 of our rotation is set until 2006.

Well if the Yanks sent 2 million and we're paying Contreras 6 million a year to post an ERA in the fives, I'm going to have go disagree with you that setting our rotation is a good thing.

munchman33
07-31-2004, 04:05 PM
Everyone has been ripping on KW for trading away "the future," and now he makes a deal that helps our rotation for the next few years, giving up a guy who's a free agent after the season and hasn't pitched well at all, and people here are still complaining about him.

JRIG
07-31-2004, 04:09 PM
After picking up Contreras' contract, what's the over/under on days into the postseason that KW says, "You can't spend a dollar when yoiu only have 50 cents" when talking about aquiring free agents?

On a talent level anaysis, I think Contreras is far superior, and if he can turn it around like he did last season, he could be a top-end anchor. If he can't, that contract will be another anchor in itself.

Flight #24
07-31-2004, 04:11 PM
FWIW - Jose's been inconsistent with flashes of dominance this year (he's on my fantay team so I've followed him).

Past 2 outings he got ripped - 12IP, 17H, 15ER, 4HR, 4BB, 10k
3 prior he was pretty good - 21.2IP, 11H, 4ER, 0HR, 6BB, 13k

His history is the same - gets ripped and then dominates for a stretch. His GB/FB is down, which is not good for USCF, but he's got the raw talent so if Coop can harness it, we could have a very good pitcher.

But the key is how much $$$ we got. At 5-6mil, it's a good deal. At 9mil, no way.

EDIT: I mean if Jose's net cost to the Sox is $5-6mil, it's good. At $9mil, he'd better be Garcia good.

StepsInSC
07-31-2004, 04:12 PM
Stupid ****ing trade. The Sox will play the skankees in the playoffs. Just a stupid trade.
We havn't even been to the playoffs since 2000. I will be happy just to make it, this year.

Sox Mobile
07-31-2004, 04:16 PM
Time will tell how the trade plays out. But I'm happy for Loaiza, management has been bad mouthing him all season, starting back in spring training, and I think it effected his performance. He will shine in NY.

OurBitchinMinny
07-31-2004, 04:20 PM
Loaiza sucks...you dont suck for 7 years and all of a sudden are good. he has proven that last year was a fluke and this year is the real loaiza

samram
07-31-2004, 04:20 PM
Time will tell how the trade plays out. But I'm happy for Loaiza, management has been bad mouthing him all season, starting back in spring training, and I think it effected his performance. He will shine in NY.
I don't remember management bad-mouthing him- I do remember him getting shelled for the last six weeks.

samram
07-31-2004, 04:22 PM
Also, I wonder why Contreras changed his mind. Did they threaten to put him in the bullpen and he just couldn't deal with that?

Nard
07-31-2004, 04:22 PM
This is a great trade. Great trade.

He was suffering earlier in the year and all the negative NY press wasn't helping much.

His family came back and he dominated for a while but is now back in a rut recently.

A change of scenery is just what the doctor ordered here.

This guy's stuff is some of the best in the majors.

Wealz
07-31-2004, 04:24 PM
I don't see how anyone can weigh in on this deal without hearing how much cash NY picked up. Admittedly neither guy has pitched well, the difference being that Contreras has a ton of money left on his contract over the next few seasons.
On a Yankees board someone posted that the Yankees will be picking up half of the remaining $18M owed. If that's true, I think it's a pretty good deal with an opportunity to be a very good deal for the Sox. I'm really surprised that the Yankees went after Loaiza. Maybe George didn't like giving up the back pages of the papers to the Mets yesterday.

Rudy Law
07-31-2004, 04:26 PM
I think this is a great trade. Contreras has way more potential than Loaiza, he signed for 2 years, and throws hard. He does have flashes of being a dominant pitcher. Also don't forget what having that NY media all over you can do. I saw that game he pitched when he was in Cuba, he dominated Baltimore. Now we have Garcia Buerhle Contreras and Garland for the next 3 years for sure, and I am sure Felix Diaz is in their plans for next year if not this year. Finally KW realizes you can go further if you are built around pitching not homeruns. If you have good pitching you only need to score 3-4 runs a game.

OurBitchinMinny
07-31-2004, 04:27 PM
Lets just beat detroit tonight..Please!!!!!

JRIG
07-31-2004, 04:27 PM
On a Yankees board someone posted that the Yankees will be picking up half of the remaining $18M owed. If that's true, I think it's a pretty good deal with an opportunity to be a very good deal for the Sox. I'm really surprised that the Yankees went after Loaiza. Maybe George didn't like giving up the back pages of the papers to the Mets yesterday.
If this is the case, and we're only paying him $4.5 over the next two years, it makes the chances o this being a "good" trade much bigger.

Sox Mobile
07-31-2004, 04:28 PM
I think Loaiza had the jitters about repeating last year, and had a shaky spring. Lots of times I read statements like "we arent mentioning any names but a certain pitcher better step it up or else"

I think he couldnt handle the pressure. I'm not defending that, but he was definitely on Ozzies **** list. How many times did Ozzie embarrass him on the mound? IT just kept compiling his problems, always trying to make the perfect pitch, lost his focus.

He WILL do well in NY.

nasox
07-31-2004, 04:29 PM
This is a great trade. Great trade.

He was suffering earlier in the year and all the negative NY press wasn't helping much.

His family came back and he dominated for a while but is now back in a rut recently.

A change of scenery is just what the doctor ordered here.

This guy's stuff is some of the best in the majors.

So is John Garland's stuff.

All I'm saying is that even a change of scenery could not work for him.

Flight #24
07-31-2004, 04:31 PM
If the $9mil from NY is true, we get Jose @ 4.5mil in 05 & 06. Nice move KW.

By my calculations, we should have $3.5mil + any payroll increase to use on FAs next year, probably a total of $5-10mil. That should be plenty to get a reliever, and a vet catcher & maybe even a MI.

Or maybe we can keep Maggs on a cheap 1-yr deal & trade Koney or Lee to fill other holes.

OurBitchinMinny
07-31-2004, 04:33 PM
Is justin jones a real good prospect? If thats the case the twins made a great deal. They win because they have smarter baseball people than us. Doug was a benched player and according to some people they got one of the cubs best pitching prospects

OurBitchinMinny
07-31-2004, 04:34 PM
I think Loaiza had the jitters about repeating last year, and had a shaky spring. Lots of times I read statements like "we arent mentioning any names but a certain pitcher better step it up or else"

I think he couldnt handle the pressure. I'm not defending that, but he was definitely on Ozzies **** list. How many times did Ozzie embarrass him on the mound? IT just kept compiling his problems, always trying to make the perfect pitch, lost his focus.

He WILL do well in NY.
How is more pressure gonna help him? He was a crappy pitcher for 7 years and then all of a sudden he is a cy young cotender. I dont think so..He got a new pitch that the rest of the league has got down now. Im very happy to be rid of him

JoseCanseco6969
07-31-2004, 04:35 PM
So is John Garland's stuff.

All I'm saying is that even a change of scenery could not work for him.
Yeah i hear that John Garland is a hothead on the mound

Flight #24
07-31-2004, 04:36 PM
Is justin jones a real good prospect? If thats the case the twins made a great deal. They win because they have smarter baseball people than us. Doug was a benched player and according to some people they got one of the cubs best pitching prospects
2d year in pros, pitchin well in hi-A, >1k/ip. Sounds good, but still a ways away. With pitchers, there's soooooo much unceryainty - remember Kris Honel.

Still, they got him for basically 0, so good move for the Twins, even tho it doesnt help them this year.

Maybe Dougie takes their chemistry with him!!!

MarkEdward
07-31-2004, 04:36 PM
Baseball America rates Justin Jones as the second-best prospect in the Cubs' system, behind Angel Guzman. He's young but apparently has a lot of upside.

Very nice trade for the Cubs and Twins. Not so good for the Red Sox or Expos.

Shoeless Joe
07-31-2004, 04:37 PM
Don't mind the rambling:

I love this trade. Contreras is a guy who's ERA was bloated because of the Red Sox (13.09 ERA against them). If you take out his matchups against them, you have a guy who's ERA is now in the mid 3's. Plus he has some nasty stuff. I wish Loaiza all the best in New York.

Sox Mobile
07-31-2004, 04:37 PM
How is more pressure gonna help him? He was a crappy pitcher for 7 years and then all of a sudden he is a cy young cotender. I dont think so..He got a new pitch that the rest of the league has got down now. Im very happy to be rid of him
Torre love Loaiza, that takes alot of pressure right off him.

besides, lots of pitchers doent shine early in their careers, how many times was Schilling tossed aside?

ChiSoxBobette
07-31-2004, 04:39 PM
Have those idiots on espn watched Loiaza pitch this year, I'm listening to espn radio with Rob Dibble he thinks Contreras(not sure how to spell his name) could get us if not this year next year to the WS because Dibble thinks Contreras has great stuff and needed to get away from N.Y. What I want to know is whyCarlos Delgado would'nt come to the Chicago market, Gammons said we all but had him but Delgado said no. I'll have to reserve my opinion about this trade but if Loiaza pitches for the yankmees the way he has for us this year the trade is an even trade.

OurBitchinMinny
07-31-2004, 04:41 PM
I was just looking at the cubs board and apparently they didnt get nomar. They got the second coming of Jesus Christ. They are all fawning over themselves. And they think nomar is gonna fall in love with the cubs and resign. I just hope he doesnt resign. Even if he doesnt its a good deal for the scrubbies

samram
07-31-2004, 04:41 PM
Torre love Loaiza, that takes alot of pressure right off him.

besides, lots of pitchers doent shine early in their careers, how many times was Schilling tossed aside?

Loaiza is 32 years old- he doesn't care if the manager loves him, he should care about whether he will be getting a big contract after this year. The first time he gets hammered in the Bronx, he'll wish he was back in Chicago.

Flight #24
07-31-2004, 04:42 PM
Have those idiots on espn watched Loiaza pitch this year, I'm listening to espn radio with Rob Dibble he thinks Contreras(not sure how to spell his name) could get us if not this year next year to the WS because Dibble thinks Contreras has great stuff and needed to get away from N.Y. What I want to know is whyCarlos Delgado would'nt come to the Chicago market, Gammons said we all but had him but Delgado said no. I'll have to reserve my opinion about this trade but if Loiaza pitches for the yankmees the way he has for us this year the trade is an even trade.
FWIW, I dont think Delgado had anything againt the Sox, he's said a few times he was staying in TOR & wouldnt waive the clause.

As for E-lo & Contreras, it's a wash, except if we get Jose @ 4.5mil/yr for 2 more years, it's a wash at worst & an absolute steal if we get his head worked out.

samram
07-31-2004, 04:43 PM
Something tells me Delgado is not so thrilled with the thought of playing meaningful games in August and September. He's never done it, and he wouldn't waive his no-trade to play with LA either, where his best friend, Shawn Green, plays.

samram
07-31-2004, 04:45 PM
I was just looking at the cubs board and apparently they didnt get nomar. They got the second coming of Jesus Christ. They are all fawning over themselves. And they think nomar is gonna fall in love with the cubs and resign. I just hope he doesnt resign. Even if he doesnt its a good deal for the scrubbies
Wait a minute... they already have a Messiah- now they also have another guy who they claim is Jesus? That could be a problem.

OurBitchinMinny
07-31-2004, 04:46 PM
I honestly feel really bad for all you in chicago. The chicago media must be pumped over garciaparra

chaz171
07-31-2004, 04:50 PM
I have heard a lot about how Contreras could benefit from a move out of New York, But that is usually a spin to rid yourself of an underachiever. I just hope this Contreras pitches better than our last Contreras coached.....

Sox Mobile
Loaiza is 32 years old- he doesn't care if the manager loves him, he should care about whether he will be getting a big contract after this year. The first time he gets hammered in the Bronx, he'll wish he was back in Chicago.
Trust me, I'm happy to give Contreras a shot. Hopefully it will be better than sex.

On the other hand, it could back fire just as well. Adding an "erratic" pitcher to an erratic team.

But I think Loaiza will play better for Torre than he did for us.

HITMEN OF 77
HOPEFULLY this trade works out for us. I'll miss EL though, he did a lot for this team in his time here. All the best to him and welcome aboard Contreras. :smile:

hawkjt
07-31-2004, 04:53 PM
Jim Bowden on ESPNnews was fawning over Estaban also. Says he could put them over the top for WS. Says Contreras was never going to succeed in NY.

I guess Torre and the rest of the world were watching a differant guy than we have been watching the last 2 months. His velocity was down at least 5 mph which left him scared to pitch inside so he nibbled and when he came in -boom. I look at this as getting a signed starter for two years at 4.5 mil for a guy we picked up for absolutely nothing. Thanks for your great effort last year Estaban.

samram
07-31-2004, 04:54 PM
Trust me, I'm happy to give Contreras a shot. Hopefully it will be better than sex.

On the other hand, it could back fire just as well. Adding an "erratic" pitcher to an erratic team.

But I think Loaiza will play better for Torre than he did for us.
Well, let's face it- it's a change of scenery trade. There's certainly a chance Contreras will be bad for the Sox. That said, we know Esty wasn't getting it done here, so they may as well take a chance on a guy with more upside who is signed for a while. Only time will tell.:D:

Grobber33
07-31-2004, 04:56 PM
FYI, I have the rundown including stats and KW quotes on my home page for those interested. Long day folks!!!!!!

www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com)

chaz171
07-31-2004, 04:57 PM
With the Sox Having a knack of dealing pitchers right before their arm falls off..(Sirotka, Fernandez, Alvarez) Hip Falls apart.(Britt Burns) Relapses..Lamarr Hoyt,
or Just plain gets old and/or Bad in a big hurry,,(Bannister, Seaver,) I wouldn't be to terribly surprised to See Loaiza visiting a 60 day DL near you very shortly.......

JRIG
07-31-2004, 04:58 PM
Jim Bowden on ESPNnews was fawning over Estaban also. Says he could put them over the top for WS. Says Contreras was never going to succeed in NY.

I guess Torre and the rest of the world were watching a differant guy than we have been watching the last 2 months. His velocity was down at least 5 mph which left him scared to pitch inside so he nibbled and when he came in -boom. I look at this as getting a signed starter for two years at 4.5 mil for a guy we picked up for absolutely nothing. Thanks for your great effort last year Estaban.
Jim Bowden also said the Mets made great deals yesterday and were "making a bold statement."

Apparently that bold statement was, "We're pissing away this season and the future of this team!"

chaz171
07-31-2004, 05:01 PM
Can Contreras Hit?

Scotty347
07-31-2004, 05:02 PM
Thumbs up - looks like a very nice trade! Loiza absolutely stunk this year, there was no way I wanted him coming back next year, even for free.

Buehrle, Garcia & Contreras (maybe even Garland) will make a pretty nice pitching staff.

jeremyb1
07-31-2004, 05:09 PM
If the $9mil from NY is true, we get Jose @ 4.5mil in 05 & 06. Nice move KW.

I think it's a mediocre move if the Yanks pick up half due to Contreras' upside, especially since it's closer to 4 million a season and not 4.5 since some of the money owed will be paid to Contreras for the remainder of this season (a bit more than what we would've paid Loaiza).

Hehe. That said, I want to know how the guy who argued KW can pick up good starters for a couple million on the free agent market thinks its a great deal to commit ourselves to twice that for the next two season with a guy whose ERA is in the 5s.

starboy0
07-31-2004, 05:13 PM
Time will tell how the trade plays out. But I'm happy for Loaiza, management has been bad mouthing him all season, starting back in spring training, and I think it effected his performance.

I can't really substantiate it but something tells me Ozzie and Loiza had a real clash. I think Ozzie was absolutely fine seeing Loiza go and may have had a hand in it.

Loiza had a great season last year but every time I saw him pitch this year (except a Tampa game) it just seemed he was pitching more defensively than just going after hitters.

Anyone else think there was a Loiza/Ozzie conflict?

harwar
07-31-2004, 05:13 PM
This is a non trade really.
KW just didn't want to be left out when he heard that the cubs GM stole the show.
Two questions..
Why do the White Sox pay for the rest of Loiaza's contract when the yankees are the richest team on the face of the earth and why do we need an 80 year old has been pitcher who really struggles most of the time.
What we really need on this team is someone who can hit the ball consistantly.

StockdaleForVeep
07-31-2004, 05:15 PM

Whenever you trade an every day player for another, things tend to change. Players change mindsets, etc. Just like the nomah trade, just because cubs got a good hitter doesnt mean the cub offense will now all a sudden explode. We needed another pitcher, esp eith schoenweis and loaiza tankin and as someone above stated, contreas comin to a latin clubhouse now, it may help him. It cant hurt?

Flight #24
07-31-2004, 05:17 PM
I think it's a mediocre move if the Yanks pick up half due to Contreras' upside, especially since it's closer to 4 million a season and not 4.5 since some of the money owed will be paid to Contreras for the remainder of this season (a bit more than what we would've paid Loaiza).

Hehe. That said, I want to know how the guy who argued KW can pick up good starters for a couple million on the free agent market thinks its a great deal to commit ourselves to twice that for the next two season with a guy whose ERA is in the 5s.
Easy. I think KW can pick up solid starters, and I think Jose has a chance to be dominant. His track record is great starts intermingled with a few absolutely horrendous ones. This year he's had 4 absolutely horrendous starts and 10 pretty good to dominant ones.

Jerome
07-31-2004, 05:22 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/07/31/trade.deadline/index.html

Look what they say about the Sox. I love how the National media thinks Loaiza is still what he was last year. In a year or two we will look back at Loaiza and say "KW picked him off the scrap heap and he delivered us a miracle year. Then he got traded to the Yankees, and what happened?"

This is a good trade for the future because Loaiza would've left as a free agent next year leaving us with a big "3" of Buhrle, Freddy, and Garland. Ouch. I'd rather let Garland and Contrearas fight it out for the third spot rather then just give the spot to Garland. If only we could hit.

Palehose13
07-31-2004, 05:31 PM
I think he couldnt handle the pressure...He WILL do well in NY.
If he can't handle the pressure here, how do you figure he will do well as a Yankee?

CWSGuy406
07-31-2004, 05:52 PM
KW just didn't want to be left out when he heard that the cubs GM stole the show.
Two questions..
Why do the White Sox pay for the rest of Loiaza's contract when the yankees are the richest team on the face of the earth and why do we need an 80 year old has been pitcher who really struggles most of the time.
What we really need on this team is someone who can hit the ball consistantly.
Hey harwar, try getting your facts straight - the Sox trade was made BEFORE the Cubs trade... :rolleyes:

mjmcend
07-31-2004, 05:54 PM
whitesox.com is reporting that we get 3 million of the 15 million owed to Contreras over the next two years. So its 6 million a year, not 4.5 as some people are saying.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040731&content_id=815281&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Aidan
07-31-2004, 05:56 PM
whitesox.com is reporting that we get 3 million of the 15 million owed to Contreras over the next two years. So its 6 million a year, not 4.5 as some people are saying.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040731&content_id=815281&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jspI had heard that the Yankees paid off the rest of Contreras' salary for this season and a "significant amount" for next season. George Offman said this.

batmanZoSo
07-31-2004, 05:59 PM
In the words of Jim Mora...

Playoffs?! Who said anything about playoffs?! Playoffs?!

The Tom
07-31-2004, 06:02 PM
This was a good trade and here's why. We basically get a pitcher of similar quality, except we get him for two more years. We may not have been able to resign Loaiza for a reasonable price. Also, even though they are the same age, they are at different places. Loaiza is struggling with his stuff, Contreras isn't. Contreras is just learning how to pitch in the MLB. He can also be a threat out of the pen too.

Aidan
07-31-2004, 06:04 PM
Well, in any case I'd rather pay Contreras $6 million a season for the next 2 seasons than be forced to sign Loaiza for the CRAZY money he wants. He wants $9 million a year like Freddy Garcia and he is most definately not worth that. Although, I bet Steinbrenner will give him it. Loaiza is a very happy camper right now.

Wealz
07-31-2004, 06:04 PM
The White Sox web site says the Yankees are picking up $3M of $15M owed Contrereas.

So . . .

The Sox have roughly $50.25M tied up in Buehrle, Contreras, Everett, Garcia, Konerko, Lee, Marte and Thomas. With team options for Pollitte ($1.3M) and Takatsu ($2.5M).

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040731&content_id=815281&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Gimm
07-31-2004, 06:41 PM
. Loaiza is struggling with his stuff, Contreras isn't..Loaiza is not struggling with his stuff - he LOST his stuff. Huge difference.

If it was just a matter of control, then you don't make this trade and hope Esteban and Coop can figure out the arm slot, etc in the final two months.

But Loaiza's problem is erratic control AND loss of velocity and movement. That's some serious, Danny Wright-esque **** right there.

Nails
07-31-2004, 06:53 PM
Contreras must have some kind of inury. Otherwise, I don't get it. You trade him because he had a couple bad starts against the Red Sox? I don't like the smell of this one

StepsInSC
07-31-2004, 07:12 PM
Contreras must have some kind of inury. Otherwise, I don't get it. You trade him because he had a couple bad starts against the Red Sox? I don't like the smell of this one
He's been inconsistent throughout his entire career with NY and never lived up to the hype that surrounded him. Not because of a 'couple' bad starts was he traded.

vegyrex
07-31-2004, 07:30 PM
I don't know, seems like a wash to me. :?:

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2004, 07:31 PM
If Contreras is a decent #3 or #4 starter, this is a good deal for the Sox. E-Lo was not coming back. If he did, it would be at too high a price, which would be much worse for the Sox over the long haul.

The Sox have 4/5ths of their starting rotation set through 2006. Barring trades, it will be the best rotation in the Central. During the offseason, Lee or Konerko could be traded for a starter. Or, Diaz, Munoz and Cotts compete for the #5 spot in spring training.

All the real baseball experts will tell you that pitching is THE BIGGEST part of the game. Based on the rotation, the Sox will compete for the division in 2005 and 2006, and they still have a shot this year, although they need help.

:bandance:

Cowch44
07-31-2004, 08:11 PM
This was a good trade and here's why. We basically get a pitcher of similar quality, except we get him for two more years. We may not have been able to resign Loaiza for a reasonable price. Also, even though they are the same age, they are at different places. Loaiza is struggling with his stuff, Contreras isn't. Contreras is just learning how to pitch in the MLB. He can also be a threat out of the pen too.
I'm with you. I like the trade. I'm glad to see Loaiza gone. Last year he had a career year. He was great. This year back to his old pretty much worthless self. Nice guy, but good riddance. :D: :D:

Sox Mobile
07-31-2004, 08:14 PM
If he can't handle the pressure here, how do you figure he will do well as a Yankee?
I shouldnt have used the word "pressure". It seems to me that Ozzie had it out for Loaiza from the start of spring training. Just one example, think of the times he got hot with Loaiza on the mound. This seemed to be reserved for EL, not even Billy got that kind of reaction out of him.

Loaiza was on edge from the start, you could seee how uncomfortable he was on the mound.

I think EL wil be able to regain his composure in NY. Torre loves him, and the vote of confidence will help turn EL around.

A. Cavatica
07-31-2004, 08:19 PM
Count me with those who think this trade is just treading water. Loaiza will never be as good as he was last year, and neither will Contreras. I think I'd rather have Loaiza, actually, except KW probably wants the pitcher who's signed for the extra year.

Evman5
07-31-2004, 08:55 PM
This was an absolute steal. I think Contreras will be a great pick up for us. He has struggled a little, but has shown flashes of dominance. Now that his family is back with him from Cuba hopefully he can focus 100% on pitching. E-Lo is done. He has lost a lot on his velocity and we are not resigning him after this year anyways. Great move KW!

thepaulbowski
07-31-2004, 09:03 PM
Have those idiots on espn watched Loiaza pitch this year, I'm listening to espn radio with Rob Dibble he thinks Contreras(not sure how to spell his name) could get us if not this year next year to the WS because Dibble thinks Contreras has great stuff and needed to get away from N.Y. What I want to know is whyCarlos Delgado would'nt come to the Chicago market, Gammons said we all but had him but Delgado said no. I'll have to reserve my opinion about this trade but if Loiaza pitches for the yankmees the way he has for us this year the trade is an even trade.They also had Rogers on saying he doesn't have a clue what the Yankees are thinking with this trade. He thinks being out of NY will help Contreras & Loaiza will wilt under the pressure in NY.

Jjav829
07-31-2004, 09:08 PM
This ought to be good. BBTN is going to talk about the Loaiza/Contreras trade once they get done fawning over the Nomar trade. Here's what they put on the bottom line: "Coming up: Did the Yankees steal Esteban Loaiza from the White Sox?" Boy, I wonder which way they'll go on this trade. :rolleyes:

Aidan
07-31-2004, 09:11 PM
This ought to be good. BBTN is going to talk about the Loaiza/Contreras trade once they get done fawning over the Nomar trade. Here's what they put on the bottom line: "Coming up: Did the Yankees steal Esteban Loaiza from the White Sox?" Boy, I wonder which way they'll go on this trade. :rolleyes:Gammons and the gang are nutting in their pants over the Nomar deal. Kruk making excuses for Nomar missing games.

TRL
07-31-2004, 09:13 PM
This trade may not be much of an upgrade, but at least Contreras will be around next year. Maybe now that he is out of NY he will get his head straight and start relying on his stuff.

Aidan
07-31-2004, 09:14 PM
This trade may not be much of an upgrade, but at least Contreras will be around next year. Maybe now that he is out of NY he will get his head straight and start relying on his stuff.Yep. Once Loiaza was talking about wanting Freddy Garcia money, KW said, "LATER LOAIZA!"

BBTN will talk about the Loaiza / Contreras trade next.

Aidan
07-31-2004, 09:18 PM
Peter Gammons: "Trade should re-energize Loaiza."

Everyone on BBTN agrees that the trade should help both teams. Contreras is tipping his pitches and KW thinks it can be fixed.

BigHurt359300
08-03-2004, 03:09 AM
Two questions..
What we really need on this team is someone who can hit the ball consistantly.Contreras and Loaiza are both 32 and IF which is a big IF the yankees paid half his contract and Coop can figure this guy out, we might have a good trade on our hands!!!!!!!!!! BEN DAVIS ALSON HAS 2 HRS FOR THE WHITE SOX, DO I SENSE THE NEXT POWER HITTER HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NOPE!

bobj4400
08-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Something tells me Delgado is not so thrilled with the thought of playing meaningful games in August and September. He's never done it, and he wouldn't waive his no-trade to play with LA either, where his best friend, Shawn Green, plays.
Just got back from Vegas, so I have been out of the loop. What did Gammons report the deal was that we had for Delgado before he said no?

ndgt10
08-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Just got back from Vegas, so I have been out of the loop. What did Gammons report the deal was that we had for Delgado before he said no?
Willie Harris, Timo Perez, Ross Gload for Delgado and cash