PDA

View Full Version : Mark Buehrle

LongDistanceFan
09-30-2001, 11:42 AM
Morning

I was thinking and i was a little confused. In any other org, is MB the ace of the rotation? Can he be compared to a Greg Maddux in savy or in being a bulldog? I know he doesn't have the Randy Johnson, Roger Clemons, Pedro stuff.

Don't get me wrong, i am extremely happy that the Sox have this young gem, but i was wondering if he may be you #2 pitcher instead of the classic #1 ace?

Jerry_Manuel
09-30-2001, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
Don't get me wrong, i am extremely happy that the Sox have this young gem, but i was wondering if he may be you #2 pitcher instead of the classic #1 ace?

I think Buehrle is similar to Tom Glavine.
So I'll ask this question if Maddux wasn't on the Braves would Glavine be their "ACE"?

LongDistanceFan
09-30-2001, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

So I'll ask this question if Maddux wasn't on the Braves would Glavine be their "ACE"? or better yet, would the braves go out and get that prototype #1 ace?

RichieRichAllen
09-30-2001, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
Morning

I was thinking and i was a little confused. In any other org, is MB the ace of the rotation? Can he be compared to a Greg Maddux in savy or in being a bulldog? I know he doesn't have the Randy Johnson, Roger Clemons, Pedro stuff.

I'd like to see Buehrle overcome the dreaded sophomore jinx before anybody starts tagging him #1 starter. First off, he's coming off his best season ever in professional ball. We've had lot's of one year phenoms over the years in terms of young pitchers. Give him another year to prove his consistency. Plus, even though it appears he can take the heat, I don't think we need to push him into the role.

Secondly, he's logged a lot of innings this year. After seeing the Sox arms that went down this year, I'd hate to see us fooling ourselves in the off season that we've got the #1 spot covered and end up trying to "plug" a very important position on any club in April/May.

Let's face it......we're going to need to go back to the drawing board again this season and trade/sign a #1 starter. I liked seeing the Sox get Wells last year. Thought it was a good move. Still might be nice to have him back next year if he's healthy (but I think Georgie S. already has his sites on him.....and will obviously offer more than we would want to).

My 2 cents.

LongDistanceFan
09-30-2001, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen

Let's face it......we're going to need to go back to the drawing board again this season and trade/sign a #1 starter. I liked seeing the Sox get Wells last year. Thought it was a good move. Still might be nice to have him back next year if he's healthy (but I think Georgie S. already has his sites on him.....and will obviously offer more than we would want to).

My 2 cents. i guess i was leading this with a future thought. We should be looking for a #1 sp. Even tho MB had a great season, he may not have the goods to be a #1 but will be a great #2 pitcher.

CerberusWG
09-30-2001, 07:12 PM
BTW, this was his 2nd season, so he passed the sophmore jinx stage.

KempersRS
09-30-2001, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
BTW, this was his 2nd season, so he passed the sophmore jinx stage.

Well, I tend to believe the Sophmore slump pertains to the year after a good season, not just his first season. Next season he will not be taken lightly and teams are going to know a little more about him. Next season will be big for Mark if he wants to become a true ace.

Daver
09-30-2001, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

So I'll ask this question if Maddux wasn't on the Braves would Glavine be their "ACE"?

I would compare Buerhle more to Maddux than Glavine,Glavine is a pure control pitcher that gives you nothing to hit,Buerhle (and Maddux)are control pitchers that have a decent fastball that can be thrown past guys looking for offspeed stuff.And Buerhle will only get better at it.

But then again what the hell do I know?