PDA

View Full Version : I didn't realize the season ended July 25

gosox41
07-31-2004, 10:19 AM
I had to paraphrase Ventura there. The Sox started this losing streak on July 25 and have played awful since then.

THere was an Ozzie quote in the paper today that I found interesting:

"I have a lot of confidence in tehse guys and so does Kenny. He tried to put the best team on the field with deals. It's time that these guys realize we don't need anyone, but they have to do the job."

Now how do you interpret the bold part of that quote. Personally, I interepret it as these guys see Frank and Magglio gone and have mentally given up. They'll say all the right things in interviews, but deep down they feel they can't catch Minnesota. They're feeling sorry for them selves. Boo Hoo Frank and Maggliop are hurt. It sucks. It hurts. It does make it that much harder for this team to win the division. Does that mean all these guys should just give up. Ozzie was around in '97 when managment threw in the towel and he hasn't given up. None of these other guys were here then (some weren't even in professional baseball) so that management decision from 7 years ago shouldn't effect them.

If there's one thing I hate it's self pity. Feeling sorry for themselves. The whole 'I can't do it' approach. Then get out of here. Go work a real job. But these guys need to give it up and play with the cards they're dealt instead of looking around the clubhoue and realizing Frank and Magglio aren't there.

So any day they want to stop making excuses or putting to much pressure on themselves, or actually try to win is fine with me. If managment gets rightfully blasted in 1997 for quitting, I think some of these players should feel the heat for mentally quitting in the middle of a pennant race.

Bob

samram
07-31-2004, 10:37 AM
I agree with you. That was my fear when Frank and Maggs went down- that the rest of the team would feel sorry for themselves and be convinced that they couldn't win. They seem to be expecting KW to do something else to help them instead of taking it upon themselves to perform better. We all know that this team has had mental weaknesses for the last three years- hopefully they can overcome them the rest of this year. They can make up a lot of ground in the next two weeks if they play well.

dickallen15
07-31-2004, 10:38 AM
I think the Sox season may have ended when Torii Hunter plowed into Burke. There was no retaliation. Whether it was a clean play or not, you can't take the Manuel approach and ignore it. Hitting a homerun is a clean play, guys used to get chin music after that. The White Sox seemed to have surrendered. They not only were swept by the Twins, they have lost 3 in a row to the Tigers without Ivan Rodriquez. Rodriquez sat out the Sunday game in Chicago, played 1 inning Thursday, and didn't play Friday. Ozzieball-its an attitude.

hose
07-31-2004, 10:43 AM
I had to paraphrase Ventura there. The Sox started this losing streak on July 25 and have played awful since then.

"I have a lot of confidence in tehse guys and so does Kenny. He tried to put the best team on the field with deals. It's time that these guys realize we don't need anyone, but they have to do the job."

Now how do you interpret the bold part of that quote. Personally, I interepret it as these guys see Frank and Magglio gone and have mentally given up. They'll say all the right things in interviews, but deep down they feel they can't catch Minnesota. They're feeling sorry for them selves. Boo Hoo Frank and Maggliop are hurt. It sucks. It hurts. It does make it that much harder for this team to win the division. Does that mean all these guys should just give up. Ozzie was around in '97 when managment threw in the towel and he hasn't given up. None of these other guys were here then (some weren't even in professional baseball) so that management decision from 7 years ago shouldn't effect them.

If there's one thing I hate it's self pity. Feeling sorry for themselves. The whole 'I can't do it' approach. Then get out of here. Go work a real job. But these guys need to give it up and play with the cards they're dealt instead of looking around the clubhoue and realizing Frank and Magglio aren't there.

So any day they want to stop making excuses or putting to much pressure on themselves, or actually try to win is fine with me. If managment gets rightfully blasted in 1997 for quitting, I think some of these players should feel the heat for mentally quitting in the middle of a pennant race.

Bob
Do you analyze dreams also?:?:
:therapy:

Blob
07-31-2004, 11:26 AM

BobI agree totaly. This team does seem to have given up. This is were Ozzie needs to reassure them that ITS NOT OVER!!! This is were his skills as a manager have to come through. I know he's a rookie manager but he has something inside of him to get them stirred up!

If the Sox have taken on the same thought process as many people on this board it could be very devastating!

I STILL BELIEVE!!!! GO SOX!!!

DickAllen72
07-31-2004, 11:42 AM

Bob

Great post. We're only four games back at the end of July. Looking at the schedules of the Sox and Twins, if someone told us at the beginning of the season the Sox would be four games back at the end of July, most of us would have said that we had a decent chance to catch them by the end of the season. I still believe that, even with Frank and Maggs out.

All we need to do is stop playing stupid baseball and execute a little bit.

gosox41
07-31-2004, 11:46 AM
Do you analyze dreams also?:?:
:therapy:

Sure, do you want my rates???:D: