PDA

View Full Version : Bright spots to 2004

inta
07-31-2004, 05:56 AM
lets face it, 2004 is not as bad as 2003.
coming into this season i didn't expect much from the sox. they've surpassed expectations... but lo and behold they're choking late in the year as usual this century..

but thank god paul konerko is having a good year so we can finally send this speed demon packing for some prospects.
carlos lee will be worth alot on the market this year.
top it off with some prime draft picks for magglio leaving...

we're fully sorted to make a run in 2007.

by then ozzie will have his managing legs.
thomas will be a barry bonds type hitter.
joe borchard will be the next greg jeffries... ok scratch that.

the future looks good.
the present blows.

i want the sox to go for the WS... but there's no chance in hell that's happening with this current team.
c'mon KW... grow a set and gamble on the future like your predecessor did.. that's the only thing that has you keeping your job now.

SoxFan76
07-31-2004, 02:17 PM
coming into this season i didn't expect much from the sox. they've surpassed expectations... but lo and behold they're choking late in the year as usual this century..

the future looks good.
the present blows.

i want the sox to go for the WS... but there's no chance in hell that's happening with this current team.
c'mon KW... grow a set and gamble on the future like your predecessor did.. that's the only thing that has you keeping your job now.
I agree. I want a fresh start to this team, assuming they don't come back and contend this year. Build the team around Frank, Buerhle, Garcia, and Carlos Lee. I really like Carlos. He has his faults, but you can't argue .300 30 100. Build around that core group, and you can get yourself a pretty good team. Depending on who the Sox pick up in the future, having Carlos and Frank bat 3 and 4 in the lineup respectively is pretty good. And a 1-2 punch of Garcia and Buerhle is awesome as well. That could be one of the top tandems in the league. And just maybe, one of these stinkin prospects (Garland, Cotts, Diaz, Munoz, Anderson, Sweeney, Borchard) will finally play to their potential.

habibharu
07-31-2004, 02:20 PM
Great thoughts by both of you! finally we got some smart sox fans! get rid of crede, get rid of jose, get rid of paulie, let maggs go, if you can get something for him, let garland go. build around Arow, caballo,wille,freddy,burly, and whatever you get in trades for PK , crede, and garland.

habibharu
07-31-2004, 02:22 PM
i hope that they move sweeney to 1b so we got a damn good team in a couple years: C-FA signing, 1B-sweeney, 2b-wille, SS-uribe/FA/valdez, 3B-FA/fields?, OF-Caballo, Arow, Anderson, DH-Big Frank, Borchard. SP-Burly, Freddy, Diaz, Cotts, FA

SoxFan76
07-31-2004, 02:25 PM
i hope that they move sweeney to 1b so we got a damn good team in a couple years: C-FA signing, 1B-sweeney, 2b-wille, SS-uribe/FA/valdez, 3B-FA/fields?, OF-Caballo, Arow, Anderson, DH-Big Frank, Borchard. SP-Burly, Freddy, Diaz, Cotts, FA
Of all the Sox prospects, the only one I seeing being any good in the big leagues is Diaz. I have lost a lot of faith in Cotts. Personally, I think he should be down in AAA. I don't know why he has been in the big leagues so long. He's a starting pitcher yet they keep sticking him in the bullpen. He would probably be a lot better starting for AAA than doing clean up duty for the Sox when the game is out of hand.

habibharu
07-31-2004, 02:28 PM
Of all the Sox prospects, the only one I seeing being any good in the big leagues is Diaz. I have lost a lot of faith in Cotts. Personally, I think he should be down in AAA. I don't know why he has been in the big leagues so long. He's a starting pitcher yet they keep sticking him in the bullpen. He would probably be a lot better starting for AAA than doing clean up duty for the Sox when the game is out of hand. totally agree with you. both cotts and borchard should be down in AAA getting consistent playing time! cotts needs to start every 5th game, and joe needs to get 4 bats a game, every game!

dcb33
07-31-2004, 02:29 PM
Why not try converting Adkins into a starter?

habibharu
07-31-2004, 02:30 PM
Why not try converting Adkins into a starter? well actually IIRC he WAS a starter in the minors like cotts, but is stuck doing mop up bullpen work.

Deadguy
07-31-2004, 02:32 PM

but thank god paul konerko is having a good year so we can finally send this speed demon packing for some prospects.

by then ozzie will have his managing legs.
thomas will be a barry bonds type hitter.

the future looks good.
the present blows.

I agree 100% with your post. Either Konerko or Lee are prime trade bait at the moment, and one of the two needs to be moved. Their careers parallel each other almost identically, and there's little reason to keep both on the roster, when other needs need to be assessed. Of the two, I'd rather see Konerko take a hike, since he has less speed, isn't as great of an athlete as Lee, and is far too inconsistent.

A nucleus of Garcia, Buehrle, Takatsu, Thomas, and Lee is a nice start, and one that is capable of competing next season, with the proper allocation of the money saved by letting Loaiza and Ordonez go, and shipping Konerko elsewhere.

StepsInSC
07-31-2004, 03:44 PM

but thank god paul konerko is having a good year so we can finally send this speed demon packing for some prospects.Prospects are called prospects because they're just that, they don't guarentee anything, and getting some "prospects" assures us nothing.

Yay more prospects for two guarenteed fantastic hitters, whoopdeedoo!

by then ozzie will have his managing legs.Again, purely speculation that he'll develop into a top class manager.

thomas will be a barry bonds type hitter.Now this is just crazy. I'm the biggest Thomas fan-boy there is, but there is no logic on the face of the earth that says that because Thomas is getting older he will get better. There is no "Bonds-type" hitter, there is only Bonds. He's the only one in his class. Banking on Thomas becoming Bonds is totally illogical.

the future looks good.
the present blows.

c'mon KW... grow a set and gamble on the future like your predecessor did.. that's the only thing that has you keeping your job now.The present may blow, but the future doesn't look any better. The lineup you mention in 2007 looks like this:

Prospect
Prospect
39 Year old Frank Thomas
Prospect
Prospect
Borchard
Prospect
Prospect
Prospect

Can I just buy season tix now?

Gamble on the future? Man c'mon your a Sox fan, SCREW THE FUTURE.

inta
07-31-2004, 06:27 PM
Gamble on the future? Man c'mon your a Sox fan, SCREW THE FUTURE.
exactly, i'm a sox fan.
it's because i'm a sox fan that i don't have some blind faith that a perennially underachieving team will accomplish much of anything.

with our farm system rated 3rd worst in the majors, we need to do something to set up the future.