PDA

View Full Version : The official: Rebuild the Sox thread

Evman5
07-31-2004, 02:27 AM
I am so disgusted with this team right now that I decided I wanted to look at ways to fix the current team and change our overall philosophy. I would like to get other people's opinions on what plans of action they would take to make our club a solid playoff contender for the next couple of years.

1. I think one of our biggest problems right now is team speed. We don't have players they can go from first to third on a single. Teams routinely go from first to third and then they go on to score on infield groundouts or sac flys. It is actually ridiculous how many times the opposing teams score on us like this compared to how often we do. We need to try and rebuild with more speedy players.

I suggest that we go out and find a few guys that could do this for us. I would love to see us acquire Hairston from the o's. I also think that we should make a strong push for Edgar Renteria in the off season. I think he should be made our number one priority. He also has decent power, which would probably only increase at the cell. The trick here is to find guys with speed that can utilize it! For example NOT guys like Julio Ramirez (remember when he hit .400 during Spring training and then he hit below .100 before being sent dow). I am not ready to give up on Willie Harris yet, but he better start showing us he can be a solid contributer at the top of the lineup.

2. Clean out the guys they don't fit. THe first two guys I would trade from our team is Paul Konerko and Jose Valentin. Paulie's value is at a high and we should be able t oget a nice return on him. I mean I love Paulie as much as anybody, but he is the slowest moving thing on the planet. There are an endless amount of times were his lack of speed has cost us runs. He is also a double play machine which once again going back to the need for speed. WE need guys that can beat out the double play grounders, because the GIDP absolutely kills this team.

Secondly I am sorry, but it is time for Jose to pack his bags. I love Jose and his leadership, but he is the POSTER CHILD for everything that is wrong with the Sox. He is an all or nothing hitter and is way too streaky. He still makes too many errors even though he has improved his defense tremendously. I hate all this crap about how clutch JOSE is and how every time he makes a costly error he always seems to make up for it. Well we wouldn't need all this clutch hitting from him if he didn't put us in that position in the first place. I realize I am being a little harsh on Jose because sometimes he does come through even if he hasn't done something stupid in the game. It is wonderful that he provides us with all this tremendous power, however, I believe this is one of the reasons he strikes out so much. It is rare for a shorstop to be among the leaders in HRs and this is exactly why we should trade him. Some team will look at that power and say we can live with the low average as long as he provides us with the long ball. So If I were running the team, Jose would be gone to the highest bidder tomorrow.

3. Go out and find more pitching. We need to shift away from the philosophy of outslugging teams and instead of outscoring them, try to stop them from scoring. I would, if possible, trade Loaiza. He was defintely a one year wonder and we should try to get something for him because we will not be resigning him. In the Offseason I would love to see us go after Carl Pavano or Johan Santana. I have no clue what will happen to Santana after the year, but I do know he will get extremely pricey for the small market Twins if he goes to arbitration. So defintely go out and get two more pitchers, because I could live with Garland as a number 5. Radke is a free agent so maybe he finally wont be able to beat us!

So we could possibly have a rotation of:
Garcia
Buehrle
Pavano/ Santana (Pavano is more realistic)
Radke or another solid starter
Garland

4. Get Guys that can do the fundamentals. BUnting, moving a man over, hitting to the right side, sacrifice flys, hitting the cutoff man, make smart decisions. I suggest that we go out and get more players from the National league because everybody in the NL is forced to these things more often than in the AL. For Example, I consider Timo Perez the best bunter on our team right now. It seems like he is the only one that can consistently get a bunt down.

5. Let Magglio Walk. I would rather spend the 14 mil towards a solid starter and a guy like Renteria. A pitcher dictates whether or not you are going win 20% of your games. I would like to see us spread Magglio's money around and put it too fill more holes

My line-up for Next Year:
2b- Hairston Jr.
SS- Renteria
DH- Thomas
1b- Lee
LF- Catalanotto
RF- Everett
CF- Rowand
3b- Crede
C- FIND ONE!!!!!!!!/ Alomar

Super Subs: Uribe, Harris, Perez

I think Carlos could play 1b I have heard talk of moving him there before and seems like he could do that. I think Frank Catalanotto would come fairly cheap after this year and I think he would be a great addition. I am not entirely sure what I would do with Crede, because apparently he still has great trade value. However, I still have hope for him to become the all-star he was born to be!:rolleyes:

Well this is what I would do to fix our team for the upcoming season. I don't think It is too unreasonable. Trading Paulie, Jose and letting Magglio walk will definitely free up some cash to make some of these moves. Also we no longer have Koch's contract on our hands, so there is some financial flexibility, hopefully. I am not giving up on this season yet, but I hope that we can fix some of the flaws in our team. I think if we went into next year with this team we would have a lot of success. If you happen to read this Kenny, No Charge!:wink:

OEO Magglio
07-31-2004, 02:29 AM
Let me be the first one:

:threadsucks

Evman5
07-31-2004, 02:31 AM
why?

OEO Magglio
07-31-2004, 02:34 AM
why?Because it's not time to start thinking about rebuilding while your in the thick of a pennant race. Worry about next year, during the offseason.

Evman5
07-31-2004, 02:36 AM
Some of the plan effects us now, like trading away Jose and Loaiza.

StockdaleForVeep
07-31-2004, 02:36 AM
I second the this thread sucks notion

for christs sake

theres 2 months of baseball left

OEO Magglio
07-31-2004, 02:38 AM
Also, Santana isn't a free agent.

Evman5
07-31-2004, 02:41 AM
I second the this thread sucks notion

for christs sake

theres 2 months of baseball leftI'm sorry but we are playing completely uninspired baseball and are having our usual late season meltdown. What good does it do us for the Twins to be playing this difficult schedule if we can't handle the supposedly easy teams on our own schedule. I for one would like to see some changes now and at the end of the season. I would like us to become a different team, because the approach that we are taking now has not exactly been producing playoff appearences.

I will still continue to pull for this team for the rest of the season, but it is not looking pretty right now.

valposoxfan
07-31-2004, 02:51 AM
I couldn't agree with this thread more.

Evman5
07-31-2004, 02:59 AM
I couldn't agree with this thread more.
With my plan:wink: or that it sucks:(: ?

inta
07-31-2004, 04:46 AM
anyone who cries that there's 2 months of baseball left needs to get their head examined.

this team is dead weight.
drop 'em.
white flag it.

rebuild the farm system and fix this team up for 2007.

for ****s sake, we're in the weakest division in the major leagues. we have a makeshift team that consistently falls off late in the season.

i could give a crap about winning the AL central.
build a team that can make it deep into the playoffs and win a WS.
something this current sox team could never do.

ps. if the sox do win it all, i will do a webcast video on WSI of me actually eating a pound of dirt. that's how confident i am this team won't do a thing.
i don't enjoy saying this. but c'mon... hopeless enthusiasm is for the northside.

chisoxt
07-31-2004, 05:28 AM
anyone who cries that there's 2 months of baseball left needs to get their head examined.

this team is dead weight.
drop 'em.
white flag it.

rebuild the farm system and fix this team up for 2007.

for ****s sake, we're in the weakest division in the major leagues. we have a makeshift team that consistently falls off late in the season.

i could give a crap about winning the AL central.
build a team that can make it deep into the playoffs and win a WS.

something this current sox team could never do.

ps. if the sox do win it all, i will do a webcast video on WSI of me actually eating a pound of dirt. that's how confident i am this team won't do a thing.
i don't enjoy saying this. but c'mon... hopeless enthusiasm is for the northside.Amen to that, Brother. And what in the hell has happened to the objectivity of the people on this web site? Everytime somebody post an honest assessment of this team they get the "This Tread Sucks" tag. Trust me, if the operation of this team conmtinues in its current trend, this team will average about 95 losses over the next four years.

DMarte708
07-31-2004, 05:56 AM
Amen to that, Brother. And what in the hell has happened to the objectivity of the people on this web site? Everytime somebody post an honest assessment of this team they get the "This Tread Sucks" tag. Trust me, if the operation of this team conmtinues in its current trend, this team will average about 95 losses over the next four years.Whats worse is this years impending failure will already have an excuse in the waiting: Thomas and Ordonez were injured during the stretch run. This alone saves KW's job, and gives apologist another reason to keep the core players (Lee,Konerko,Valentin,Thomas,Ordonez) together for another season. Forget our bullpen is weak, starting rotation is questionable outside of Garica/Buehrle, and offense cannot play "small ball."

Break down today's performance of Joe Borchard, Carl Everett: respectively they were 1-4 and 2-4. How much better could Thomas/Ordonez have been if in the lineup today? I recall both players available last year against Detroit, and they didn't do too much in those two 1-0 losses. I'll admit Borchard has come nowhere near replicating Maggs numbers. During his stinct with this teames Borchard has put up many 0 for's, but who's to say whether Ordonez would have done the same. Far as Everett, he's done a serviceable job compensating for Thomas

All I'm trying to do is avert the blame of mediocrity from injuries to this teams abundance of weaknesses (which exist outside the Frank/Magg less lineup)

owensmouth
07-31-2004, 06:10 AM
1. Why keep Thomas? I mean, if you're gonna gut the team to build for 2007, why hold on to someone like him? He too is far from the quickest runner. His average surely will continue to drop. There's a better chance you can get someone of value if you dump him now. And, you can save yourself 6 to 8 million dollars.

2. Since you're clearly expecting to go through a period of limited accomplishments, which might finally qualify the White Sox for some early round draft picks, how are you going to finance this franchise? People turn out to the south side when they anticipate a successful team. What you're designing is a team incapable of winning in US Cellular Field. Therefore, less fans and more Cubbie dominance. The Sox payroll would have to shrink in accordance, so say goodbye to some of those players you'd hoped for.