PDA

View Full Version : The official: Rebuild the Sox thread

Evman5
07-31-2004, 02:27 AM
I am so disgusted with this team right now that I decided I wanted to look at ways to fix the current team and change our overall philosophy. I would like to get other people's opinions on what plans of action they would take to make our club a solid playoff contender for the next couple of years.

1. I think one of our biggest problems right now is team speed. We don't have players they can go from first to third on a single. Teams routinely go from first to third and then they go on to score on infield groundouts or sac flys. It is actually ridiculous how many times the opposing teams score on us like this compared to how often we do. We need to try and rebuild with more speedy players.

I suggest that we go out and find a few guys that could do this for us. I would love to see us acquire Hairston from the o's. I also think that we should make a strong push for Edgar Renteria in the off season. I think he should be made our number one priority. He also has decent power, which would probably only increase at the cell. The trick here is to find guys with speed that can utilize it! For example NOT guys like Julio Ramirez (remember when he hit .400 during Spring training and then he hit below .100 before being sent dow). I am not ready to give up on Willie Harris yet, but he better start showing us he can be a solid contributer at the top of the lineup.

2. Clean out the guys they don't fit. THe first two guys I would trade from our team is Paul Konerko and Jose Valentin. Paulie's value is at a high and we should be able t oget a nice return on him. I mean I love Paulie as much as anybody, but he is the slowest moving thing on the planet. There are an endless amount of times were his lack of speed has cost us runs. He is also a double play machine which once again going back to the need for speed. WE need guys that can beat out the double play grounders, because the GIDP absolutely kills this team.

Secondly I am sorry, but it is time for Jose to pack his bags. I love Jose and his leadership, but he is the POSTER CHILD for everything that is wrong with the Sox. He is an all or nothing hitter and is way too streaky. He still makes too many errors even though he has improved his defense tremendously. I hate all this crap about how clutch JOSE is and how every time he makes a costly error he always seems to make up for it. Well we wouldn't need all this clutch hitting from him if he didn't put us in that position in the first place. I realize I am being a little harsh on Jose because sometimes he does come through even if he hasn't done something stupid in the game. It is wonderful that he provides us with all this tremendous power, however, I believe this is one of the reasons he strikes out so much. It is rare for a shorstop to be among the leaders in HRs and this is exactly why we should trade him. Some team will look at that power and say we can live with the low average as long as he provides us with the long ball. So If I were running the team, Jose would be gone to the highest bidder tomorrow.

3. Go out and find more pitching. We need to shift away from the philosophy of outslugging teams and instead of outscoring them, try to stop them from scoring. I would, if possible, trade Loaiza. He was defintely a one year wonder and we should try to get something for him because we will not be resigning him. In the Offseason I would love to see us go after Carl Pavano or Johan Santana. I have no clue what will happen to Santana after the year, but I do know he will get extremely pricey for the small market Twins if he goes to arbitration. So defintely go out and get two more pitchers, because I could live with Garland as a number 5. Radke is a free agent so maybe he finally wont be able to beat us!

So we could possibly have a rotation of:
Garcia
Buehrle
Pavano/ Santana (Pavano is more realistic)
Radke or another solid starter
Garland

4. Get Guys that can do the fundamentals. BUnting, moving a man over, hitting to the right side, sacrifice flys, hitting the cutoff man, make smart decisions. I suggest that we go out and get more players from the National league because everybody in the NL is forced to these things more often than in the AL. For Example, I consider Timo Perez the best bunter on our team right now. It seems like he is the only one that can consistently get a bunt down.

5. Let Magglio Walk. I would rather spend the 14 mil towards a solid starter and a guy like Renteria. A pitcher dictates whether or not you are going win 20% of your games. I would like to see us spread Magglio's money around and put it too fill more holes

My line-up for Next Year:
2b- Hairston Jr.
SS- Renteria
DH- Thomas
1b- Lee
LF- Catalanotto
RF- Everett
CF- Rowand
3b- Crede
C- FIND ONE!!!!!!!!/ Alomar

Super Subs: Uribe, Harris, Perez

I think Carlos could play 1b I have heard talk of moving him there before and seems like he could do that. I think Frank Catalanotto would come fairly cheap after this year and I think he would be a great addition. I am not entirely sure what I would do with Crede, because apparently he still has great trade value. However, I still have hope for him to become the all-star he was born to be!:rolleyes:

Well this is what I would do to fix our team for the upcoming season. I don't think It is too unreasonable. Trading Paulie, Jose and letting Magglio walk will definitely free up some cash to make some of these moves. Also we no longer have Koch's contract on our hands, so there is some financial flexibility, hopefully. I am not giving up on this season yet, but I hope that we can fix some of the flaws in our team. I think if we went into next year with this team we would have a lot of success. If you happen to read this Kenny, No Charge!:wink:

OEO Magglio
07-31-2004, 02:29 AM
Let me be the first one:

:threadsucks

Evman5
07-31-2004, 02:31 AM
why?

OEO Magglio
07-31-2004, 02:34 AM
why?Because it's not time to start thinking about rebuilding while your in the thick of a pennant race. Worry about next year, during the offseason.

Evman5
07-31-2004, 02:36 AM
Some of the plan effects us now, like trading away Jose and Loaiza.

StockdaleForVeep
07-31-2004, 02:36 AM
I second the this thread sucks notion

for christs sake

theres 2 months of baseball left

OEO Magglio
07-31-2004, 02:38 AM
Also, Santana isn't a free agent.

Evman5
07-31-2004, 02:41 AM
I second the this thread sucks notion

for christs sake

theres 2 months of baseball leftI'm sorry but we are playing completely uninspired baseball and are having our usual late season meltdown. What good does it do us for the Twins to be playing this difficult schedule if we can't handle the supposedly easy teams on our own schedule. I for one would like to see some changes now and at the end of the season. I would like us to become a different team, because the approach that we are taking now has not exactly been producing playoff appearences.

I will still continue to pull for this team for the rest of the season, but it is not looking pretty right now.

valposoxfan
07-31-2004, 02:51 AM
I couldn't agree with this thread more.

Evman5
07-31-2004, 02:59 AM
I couldn't agree with this thread more.
With my plan:wink: or that it sucks:(: ?

inta
07-31-2004, 04:46 AM
anyone who cries that there's 2 months of baseball left needs to get their head examined.

this team is dead weight.
drop 'em.
white flag it.

rebuild the farm system and fix this team up for 2007.

for ****s sake, we're in the weakest division in the major leagues. we have a makeshift team that consistently falls off late in the season.

i could give a crap about winning the AL central.
build a team that can make it deep into the playoffs and win a WS.
something this current sox team could never do.

ps. if the sox do win it all, i will do a webcast video on WSI of me actually eating a pound of dirt. that's how confident i am this team won't do a thing.
i don't enjoy saying this. but c'mon... hopeless enthusiasm is for the northside.

chisoxt
07-31-2004, 05:28 AM
anyone who cries that there's 2 months of baseball left needs to get their head examined.

this team is dead weight.
drop 'em.
white flag it.

rebuild the farm system and fix this team up for 2007.

for ****s sake, we're in the weakest division in the major leagues. we have a makeshift team that consistently falls off late in the season.

i could give a crap about winning the AL central.
build a team that can make it deep into the playoffs and win a WS.

something this current sox team could never do.

ps. if the sox do win it all, i will do a webcast video on WSI of me actually eating a pound of dirt. that's how confident i am this team won't do a thing.
i don't enjoy saying this. but c'mon... hopeless enthusiasm is for the northside.Amen to that, Brother. And what in the hell has happened to the objectivity of the people on this web site? Everytime somebody post an honest assessment of this team they get the "This Tread Sucks" tag. Trust me, if the operation of this team conmtinues in its current trend, this team will average about 95 losses over the next four years.

DMarte708
07-31-2004, 05:56 AM
Amen to that, Brother. And what in the hell has happened to the objectivity of the people on this web site? Everytime somebody post an honest assessment of this team they get the "This Tread Sucks" tag. Trust me, if the operation of this team conmtinues in its current trend, this team will average about 95 losses over the next four years.Whats worse is this years impending failure will already have an excuse in the waiting: Thomas and Ordonez were injured during the stretch run. This alone saves KW's job, and gives apologist another reason to keep the core players (Lee,Konerko,Valentin,Thomas,Ordonez) together for another season. Forget our bullpen is weak, starting rotation is questionable outside of Garica/Buehrle, and offense cannot play "small ball."

Break down today's performance of Joe Borchard, Carl Everett: respectively they were 1-4 and 2-4. How much better could Thomas/Ordonez have been if in the lineup today? I recall both players available last year against Detroit, and they didn't do too much in those two 1-0 losses. I'll admit Borchard has come nowhere near replicating Maggs numbers. During his stinct with this teames Borchard has put up many 0 for's, but who's to say whether Ordonez would have done the same. Far as Everett, he's done a serviceable job compensating for Thomas

All I'm trying to do is avert the blame of mediocrity from injuries to this teams abundance of weaknesses (which exist outside the Frank/Magg less lineup)

owensmouth
07-31-2004, 06:10 AM
1. Why keep Thomas? I mean, if you're gonna gut the team to build for 2007, why hold on to someone like him? He too is far from the quickest runner. His average surely will continue to drop. There's a better chance you can get someone of value if you dump him now. And, you can save yourself 6 to 8 million dollars.

2. Since you're clearly expecting to go through a period of limited accomplishments, which might finally qualify the White Sox for some early round draft picks, how are you going to finance this franchise? People turn out to the south side when they anticipate a successful team. What you're designing is a team incapable of winning in US Cellular Field. Therefore, less fans and more Cubbie dominance. The Sox payroll would have to shrink in accordance, so say goodbye to some of those players you'd hoped for.

3. What makes you think Pavano or Santana, or for that matter anyone would want to cast his lot with such an emasculated team? They'd rather go where they have a chance of winning.

idseer
07-31-2004, 07:23 AM
1. Why keep Thomas? I mean, if you're gonna gut the team to build for 2007, why hold on to someone like him? He too is far from the quickest runner. His average surely will continue to drop. There's a better chance you can get someone of value if you dump him now. And, you can save yourself 6 to 8 million dollars.
i have no inherent problem moving thomas. however, until his production actually drops from where it's been he is still an excellent value for what he makes. unless you can get someone who will either replace his numbers or a front line pitcher (and i doubt this can happen now. perhaps a few years ago ....) i'd say keep him.

SoxFanSince67
07-31-2004, 07:54 AM
The problem goes back to that ridiculous payroll limit. We entered this season with too many question marks and weaknesses. Already being thin, the injuries to Mags and Frank are devastating.

Dan H
07-31-2004, 08:17 AM
Amen to that, Brother. And what in the hell has happened to the objectivity of the people on this web site? Everytime somebody post an honest assessment of this team they get the "This Tread Sucks" tag. Trust me, if the operation of this team conmtinues in its current trend, this team will average about 95 losses over the next four years.
I agree with this. Today (July 31) marks the 7th anniversary of the White Flag. During this time the Sox have won one division title and have lost three playoff games. Many of the current core players have been together since 1999. The White Sox were 3 1/2 games out when the White Flag Trade was made. They are 3 1/2 out now. Let's at least hope they fold their tent and go home this year.

It is not too early to assess this team and start making some big decisions. This is not a World Series class team. They are closer to third than they are to first.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-31-2004, 08:24 AM
I say we start rebuilding by getting a rightfielder. We haven't had a good one for over 2 months. I hear Magglio Ordonez is a free agent. We ought to make a run for him. He is really good.

Frank Thomas works cheap and he is still one of the best OBP guys in the entire league. I would like to see how he does as DH for the Sox. I bet we would be going places this season if we had him right now.

You guys want to rebuild? Start by looking inside our own M*A*S*H unit.

:kukoo:

gosox41
07-31-2004, 08:44 AM
I am so disgusted with this team right now that I decided I wanted to look at ways to fix the current team and change our overall philosophy. I would like to get other people's opinions on what plans of action they would take to make our club a solid playoff contender for the next couple of years.
!:wink:

I agree with this thread. The way the team is playing it's never to early to talk about next year. Unless Thomas and/or Ordonez are able to come backby mid-August I don't see how this can win the division.

That being said, I wouldn't start rebuilding now. There's plenty of time in the offseason to do this. I would have traded a guy like Loaiza but that's it. I read that the Mets called the Sox about him before going after Zambrano. Too bad because the D-Rays got a lot for Zambrano and Loaiza has sucked all year.

But as long as we're still in it, you have to go for it. I think it's a huge longshot. I like yourt ideas. The only players I really want to see back here next year are Frank, Marte, Shingo, Buehrle, and Garcia. I could put up with Harris, GLoad, and Uribe as long as they're used as utility players only and not starters. I also want to keep Lee, but if someone offers you something good for him, I'd take it in a heartbeat. And it's not a good idea to move Lee to 1B.

Bob

07-31-2004, 08:58 AM
This post doesn't suck at all. I'm a die hard Sox Fan and believe me, I'll keep a light on for them until they are mathmatically eliminated, but after throwing a few things in my basement, I became a realist. We lost Maggs and Frank. In the second half, that would have been 35/40 hrs and 100 RBI's between them. We don't have the talent right now. Paulie and Carlos, God love em, are known to be streaky players, very hot/cold..Crazy Carl was not brought in to be a savior, they got him when they thought Maggs was going to be back. We do have a good baseball team great now...but good teams don't win pennants, great teams do, and when you lose 2 of your biggest offensive (and iin Maggs case, defensive) players, being a great time is hard to come by.....How would St. Louis be if they lost Edmounds and Rolen (I won't even say Albert) or Texas if they lost Soriano and Blaylock or Boswton if they lost Manny and Ortiz.....they would be worse then us rioght now! I'll root for the Sox until the end, and go ahead and say I have no faith (although it's not true) I'm being a realist...to win the Central even this year will take a miracle...and we all know that we are due a miracle....I really really hope I'm wrong and I will join the guy in eating that bag of dirt if they win the central even!

Evman5
07-31-2004, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=owensmouth]1. Why keep Thomas? I mean, if you're gonna gut the team to build for 2007, why hold on to someone like him? He too is far from the quickest runner. His average surely will continue to drop. There's a better chance you can get someone of value if you dump him now. And, you can save yourself 6 to 8 million dollars.

I know Thomas doesn't fit the speed build, but we don't need every single player in the lineup to be slow he don't need THomas and Konerko. I think Paulie has more trade value than Thomas. He is so undervalued. His Obp is absolutely amazing. He is still putting up solid power numbers and he was up to .294 during the FLA series. I am ok with Frank hittind nearly .300. I don't think my suggestions were building a team for 2007, I think that team has a good shot to win next year. I don't want to start rebuilding. THat is the last thing I would like to do. I would rather patch our holes through some trades and solid Free agent signings. I want to retool on the fly because he got Beuhrle and Garcia which is an excellent front of the rotation. Ill take Garland as our fifth starter is we pick up a solid 3-4. Be;ieve the last thing I want is a total rebuilding of our team.

OEO Magglio
07-31-2004, 09:34 AM
Amen to that, Brother. And what in the hell has happened to the objectivity of the people on this web site? Everytime somebody post an honest assessment of this team they get the "This Tread Sucks" tag. Trust me, if the operation of this team conmtinues in its current trend, this team will average about 95 losses over the next four years.Oh yeah, I forgot that the future is doomed because Kenny has traded away so many "great" prospects. I find it funny how everyone thinks that this team is just going to sucks for the next 5 years. There is a good core in place for the next couple years and by the time some of them are gone the guys in the lower minor leagues(which the sox have a lot of good prospects in) will be ready again. Talk about rebuilding in the offeason it's way to premature to even think about that. Inta says people need their heads examined who say there is two months of baseball, well I guess a team can't get on a hot streak and 4 games is so impossible to come back from in 2 months.:rolleyes: A month ago when the sox were in the middle of playing the flubs they were down 3 games in the standings 4 days later they were in first place. I've already said it but I'll say it again:

misty60481
07-31-2004, 09:45 AM
I agree the players we lose would be hard to replace other than some retooling I think we should be OK for next year and there is still two months left this year. I think patience sometimes pays I like what I have seen from Cotts and Adkins lately and Pollite seems to be doing his job. I think what we are going to get from Garland and E-lo is 6 or 7 innings and 4 runs so we have to live with it I like the way Rowand has come thru this year and maybe Borchard will come around,. I would like to see us pick up a good 2nd baseman and catcher although Burke has been doing his job (nice bunt other nite) he seems to be good back-up, maybe we will catch fire in AUG.

mdep524
07-31-2004, 10:26 AM
Because it's not time to start thinking about rebuilding while your in the thick of a pennant race. Worry about next year, during the offseason.
Hey, just because the team is still in the hunt for the playoffs, which is still realistic, does not mean we fans cannt think about the offseason or next year. Its not like we're jinxing a no hitter or something.

I agree with Evman in many respects. I wouldn't give up on this season until its over, but the reality is the Sox have had awful, awful uck this year with injuries, etc. Still, if they don't win some changes have to be in the back of KW's mind for '05.

I agree that, if the Sox fon't win this season, they should let Loaiza walk and sign a solid number three guy- perhaps Carl Pavano, and hand the 5th spot to Neal Cotts or Felix Diax. I also believe that, if possible, the Sox should pull off a big-time trade with PK.- not a crappy Ray Durham-for-Adkins type of mideason dump, but a serious talent for talent trade with a team looking for some pop in their line up. From there, KW and Ozzie will have a lot of potions on how to mold this team.

I don't say that in disgust- and I still think if they get their head out of their behind they have a chance to win the division (I mean come on- they lost the last three games on an error, error, bases-loaded walk! That is bound to turn around). But....that doesn't mean that on a White Sox message board we can't think about what might happen in 2005.

Whitesoxtom
07-31-2004, 10:30 AM
Why on earth would Minnesota trade a 25 year old phenom like Johan Santana??

Why would we want Jerry Hairston JR, who has a career .OBP of .330, leading off? Forget the fact he sucks as an everyday player.

Why do you think small market Jerry would sign Edgar Renterria when big market teams are going to drive his salary beyond our limits??

Has Frank Catalanotto ever played an entire season healthy?? None of these suggestions make any sense.

If you want to talk about rebuilding, be logical.
Whether we like it or not, the writing is on the wall for Borchard to play everyday in the OF next season. Unless of course he gets traded.
We got Uribe to be our SS of the future, I hope he plays everyday. Did I mention we have a small market owner? To bad we have a GM with big market mentality

Loazia will be overpaid by someone else thank goodness. Radke is a possibility, but he can also break down at any moment.

I am not ready to give up on this season, but we need to turn it around now.

gosox41
07-31-2004, 10:52 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot that the future is doomed because Kenny has traded away so many "great" prospects. I find it funny how everyone thinks that this team is just going to sucks for the next 5 years. There is a good core in place for the next couple years and by the time some of them are gone the guys in the lower minor leagues(which the sox have a lot of good prospects in) will be ready again. Talk about rebuilding in the offeason it's way to premature to even think about that. Inta says people need their heads examined who say there is two months of baseball, well I guess a team can't get on a hot streak and 4 games is so impossible to come back from in 2 months.:rolleyes: A month ago when the sox were in the middle of playing the flubs they were down 3 games in the standings 4 days later they were in first place. I've already said it but I'll say it again:

Actually I think this team is doomed because they have done a lousy job drafting and developing talent.

Just wanted to make it clear.

:rolleyes:

Bob

LASOXFAN
07-31-2004, 02:04 PM
Because it's not time to start thinking about rebuilding while your in the thick of a pennant race. Worry about next year, during the offseason.
"the thick of a pennant race"! :D:

that's the funniest thing I've read to date. what team are you watching?

RKMeibalane
07-31-2004, 02:07 PM

1. I think one of our biggest problems right now is team speed. We don't have players they can go from first to third on a single. Teams routinely go from first to third and then they go on to score on infield groundouts or sac flys. It is actually ridiculous how many times the opposing teams score on us like this compared to how often we do. We need to try and rebuild with more speedy players.

I suggest that we go out and find a few guys that could do this for us. I would love to see us acquire Hairston from the o's. I also think that we should make a strong push for Edgar Renteria in the off season. I think he should be made our number one priority. He also has decent power, which would probably only increase at the cell. The trick here is to find guys with speed that can utilize it! For example NOT guys like Julio Ramirez (remember when he hit .400 during Spring training and then he hit below .100 before being sent dow). I am not ready to give up on Willie Harris yet, but he better start showing us he can be a solid contributer at the top of the lineup.

2. Clean out the guys they don't fit. THe first two guys I would trade from our team is Paul Konerko and Jose Valentin. Paulie's value is at a high and we should be able t oget a nice return on him. I mean I love Paulie as much as anybody, but he is the slowest moving thing on the planet. There are an endless amount of times were his lack of speed has cost us runs. He is also a double play machine which once again going back to the need for speed. WE need guys that can beat out the double play grounders, because the GIDP absolutely kills this team.

Secondly I am sorry, but it is time for Jose to pack his bags. I love Jose and his leadership, but he is the POSTER CHILD for everything that is wrong with the Sox. He is an all or nothing hitter and is way too streaky. He still makes too many errors even though he has improved his defense tremendously. I hate all this crap about how clutch JOSE is and how every time he makes a costly error he always seems to make up for it. Well we wouldn't need all this clutch hitting from him if he didn't put us in that position in the first place. I realize I am being a little harsh on Jose because sometimes he does come through even if he hasn't done something stupid in the game. It is wonderful that he provides us with all this tremendous power, however, I believe this is one of the reasons he strikes out so much. It is rare for a shorstop to be among the leaders in HRs and this is exactly why we should trade him. Some team will look at that power and say we can live with the low average as long as he provides us with the long ball. So If I were running the team, Jose would be gone to the highest bidder tomorrow.

3. Go out and find more pitching. We need to shift away from the philosophy of outslugging teams and instead of outscoring them, try to stop them from scoring. I would, if possible, trade Loaiza. He was defintely a one year wonder and we should try to get something for him because we will not be resigning him. In the Offseason I would love to see us go after Carl Pavano or Johan Santana. I have no clue what will happen to Santana after the year, but I do know he will get extremely pricey for the small market Twins if he goes to arbitration. So defintely go out and get two more pitchers, because I could live with Garland as a number 5. Radke is a free agent so maybe he finally wont be able to beat us!

So we could possibly have a rotation of:
Garcia
Buehrle
Pavano/ Santana (Pavano is more realistic)
Radke or another solid starter
Garland

4. Get Guys that can do the fundamentals. BUnting, moving a man over, hitting to the right side, sacrifice flys, hitting the cutoff man, make smart decisions. I suggest that we go out and get more players from the National league because everybody in the NL is forced to these things more often than in the AL. For Example, I consider Timo Perez the best bunter on our team right now. It seems like he is the only one that can consistently get a bunt down.

5. Let Magglio Walk. I would rather spend the 14 mil towards a solid starter and a guy like Renteria. A pitcher dictates whether or not you are going win 20% of your games. I would like to see us spread Magglio's money around and put it too fill more holes

My line-up for Next Year:
2b- Hairston Jr.
SS- Renteria
DH- Thomas
1b- Lee
LF- Catalanotto
RF- Everett
CF- Rowand
3b- Crede
C- FIND ONE!!!!!!!!/ Alomar

Super Subs: Uribe, Harris, Perez

I think Carlos could play 1b I have heard talk of moving him there before and seems like he could do that. I think Frank Catalanotto would come fairly cheap after this year and I think he would be a great addition. I am not entirely sure what I would do with Crede, because apparently he still has great trade value. However, I still have hope for him to become the all-star he was born to be!:rolleyes:

Well this is what I would do to fix our team for the upcoming season. I don't think It is too unreasonable. Trading Paulie, Jose and letting Magglio walk will definitely free up some cash to make some of these moves. Also we no longer have Koch's contract on our hands, so there is some financial flexibility, hopefully. I am not giving up on this season yet, but I hope that we can fix some of the flaws in our team. I think if we went into next year with this team we would have a lot of success. If you happen to read this Kenny, No Charge!:wink:
If Konerko is traded, Frank will be the first baseman, not Carlos.

South Side
07-31-2004, 02:08 PM
You people are so dramatic.... There's a reason why none of you are GMs of a Major League Baseball team... :rolleyes:

Wealz
07-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Any rebuilding effort for 2005 starts by (hopefully) dealing Konerko and Lee. I want their contracts off the books ASAP. Cash is king.

skobabe8
07-31-2004, 02:22 PM
No one is rebuilding anything yet. Tread water, people. Thats what August is gonna be all about. Treading water. Worry about dismantling come november. not july.

Deadguy
07-31-2004, 02:29 PM
There's a reason why none of you are GMs of a Major League Baseball team... :rolleyes:
Politics....it's all politics......

PaleHoseGeorge
07-31-2004, 02:38 PM
Politics....it's all politics......
LOL! Good one! :rolleyes:

I'm all for fixing holes on this team. However I'm not going to make a bunch of rash statements when its still late-July and we're still in striking distance of making the playoffs. There are still too many things that can happen with this many games left to be played to start talking about rebuilding or next year.

Ask me again in September.
:smokin:

South Side
07-31-2004, 02:45 PM
LOL! Good one! :rolleyes:

I'm all for fixing holes on this team. However I'm not going to make a bunch of rash statements when its still late-July and we're still in striking distance of making the playoffs. There are still too many things that can happen with this many games left to be played to start talking about rebuilding or next year.

Ask me again in September.
:smokin:Finally, someone with some freaking sense... Everyone else needs to put the gun down...

Evman5
07-31-2004, 11:50 PM
Why on earth would Minnesota trade a 25 year old phenom like Johan Santana??

Why would we want Jerry Hairston JR, who has a career .OBP of .330, leading off? Forget the fact he sucks as an everyday player.

Why do you think small market Jerry would sign Edgar Renterria when big market teams are going to drive his salary beyond our limits??

Has Frank Catalanotto ever played an entire season healthy?? None of these suggestions make any sense.

If you want to talk about rebuilding, be logical.
Whether we like it or not, the writing is on the wall for Borchard to play everyday in the OF next season. Unless of course he gets traded.
We got Uribe to be our SS of the future, I hope he plays everyday. Did I mention we have a small market owner? To bad we have a GM with big market mentality

Loazia will be overpaid by someone else thank goodness. Radke is a possibility, but he can also break down at any moment.

I am not ready to give up on this season, but we need to turn it around now.
I am not 100% sure about Santana, but I think THe Twins will have to dish out big bucks for him soon. I thought that he will be eligible for arbitration. I do not expect to trade for him, because the Twins would never do that. If anybody knows the exact situyation with him please let me know. Already one part of my plan was fufilled today with the deal for Contreras today. If we can somehow add Pavano to the mix for next year, we have one of the top rotations.

mdep524
08-01-2004, 12:01 AM
I am not 100% sure about Santana, but I think THe Twins will have to dish out big bucks for him soon. I thought that he will be eligible for arbitration. I do not expect to trade for him, because the Twins would never do that. If anybody knows the exact situyation with him please let me know. Already one part of my plan was fufilled today with the deal for Contreras today. If we can somehow add Pavano to the mix for next year, we have one of the top rotations.
Gotta say, a rotation of

Buehrle
Garcia
Pavano
Contreras
Garland

would look pretty damn good. If we assembled that staff we'd be looking strong for the next few years- and really we are only one FA stud away from that sort of staff. That makes me feel good. Then, if we re-distribute our assets offensively (i.e. trading Konerko and/or Lee for some OBP/speed/grinder talent)......

KW will have his work cut out for him this offseason, some major decisions to make. Of course, let's see how well this team can play for the next two months first!

Evman5
08-01-2004, 10:03 AM
Gotta say, a rotation of

Buehrle
Garcia
Pavano
Contreras
Garland

would look pretty damn good. If we assembled that staff we'd be looking strong for the next few years- and really we are only one FA stud away from that sort of staff. That makes me feel good. Then, if we re-distribute our assets offensively (i.e. trading Konerko and/or Lee for some OBP/speed/grinder talent)......

KW will have his work cut out for him this offseason, some major decisions to make. Of course, let's see how well this team can play for the next two months first!
That's exactly what I am saying. I am sorry for titling this thread Rebuild the Sox. I don't mean tear are team apart. All I am saying is get rid af a couple guys on offense and change our philosophy i.e. not living and dying by the long ball.

Vernam
08-03-2004, 09:49 PM
That's exactly what I am saying. I am sorry for titling this thread Rebuild the Sox. I don't mean tear are team apart. All I am saying is get rid af a couple guys on offense and change our philosophy i.e. not living and dying by the long ball.The lesson learned is that we need a better rejoinder than "This Thread Sucks." How about "I Cannot Recommend This Thread Too Highly"? That can be taken two ways. :redneck

I don't think rooting for a turn-around in '04 is incompatible with considering what happens after this season. Maybe this coming off-season, KW will be given a green light to restock, instead of the "let's wait to see if we're in contention and attendance is high when July rolls around before picking anyone up" approach. With the lack of farm prospects, that's a luxury the Sox can't afford anymore.

VC