PDA

View Full Version : We should have dealt Loaiza

lowesox
07-31-2004, 12:29 AM
It says that the Mets wanted him. Since they were in generous moods today, we should have let them have him. It seems like he's been in decline for ever now - and is nowhere near the starter he was last season. The sox could have made grabbed a good prospect then picked up a servicealbe starter for less somewhere else.

nitetrain8601
07-31-2004, 12:50 AM
I definately would've dealt Loiaza to the Mets if it meant us getting that prospect they dealt to the Devil Rays. Loiaza looks like he doesn't have it.

JB98
07-31-2004, 01:21 AM
I definately would've dealt Loiaza to the Mets if it meant us getting that prospect they dealt to the Devil Rays. Loiaza looks like he doesn't have it.
I think dealing Loaiza would send a bad message to the clubhouse. People are questioning this team's effort as it is. They might quit on us entirely if KW started cleaning out the veteran players.

For what it's worth, though, I can't argue with your desire to get rid of Loaiza. I don't think we'd be losing anything if we unloaded him and put Diaz in the rotation for the rest of the year.

BainesHOF
07-31-2004, 01:22 AM
It says that the Mets wanted him. Since they were in generous moods today, we should have let them have him. It seems like he's been in decline for ever now - and is nowhere near the starter he was last season. The sox could have made grabbed a good prospect then picked up a servicealbe starter for less somewhere else.
No, you keep Loaiza. As bleak as it looks now, we're only three games down in the loss column. You can't just quit like that before August.

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2004, 02:06 AM
I think Loaiza was a one year wonder, but if the Sox had traded him for prospects, there would be people all over this board screaming about "white flagging." You would have to get someone who could help right now.

idseer
07-31-2004, 07:44 AM
I think Loaiza was a one year wonder, but if the Sox had traded him for prospects, there would be people all over this board screaming about "white flagging." You would have to get someone who could help right now.
people here are going to scream at every move anyway. :smile:

i would have been surprised if elo hadn't reverted to what he's done his whole career. if they get the chance they should definitely move him no matter what anyone else says. he's part of the problem and he's NOT going to get better.

DickAllen72
07-31-2004, 10:34 AM

That's what I've been saying. But everyone kept telling me NO ONE would want Loaiza. They kept saying he's UNTRADABLE. I guess the Mets didn't think so. We should have traded him.

We are still in the race, and losing Loaiza for a decent prospect or player wouldn't change that.

DickAllen72
07-31-2004, 10:36 AM
We should trade Valentin today.

JB98
07-31-2004, 11:02 AM
We should trade Valentin today.
Do you think all our problems would be solved if Juan Uribe were the every-day shortstop? He's an all-or-nothing hitter just like Valentin.

Dice
07-31-2004, 11:19 AM
We should trade Garland before Loaiza. Garland has much more value than Loaiza because he's young. If you trade Loaiza you won't get much for him and you don't want to trade both of them because you still need a pitching staff to finish off the season.

munchman33
07-31-2004, 01:40 PM
We should trade Garland before Loaiza. Garland has much more value than Loaiza because he's young. If you trade Loaiza you won't get much for him and you don't want to trade both of them because you still need a pitching staff to finish off the season.
What are you smoking? You don't trade a young, good SP that you own the rights to next year. You lock him up long term.

OurBitchinMinny
07-31-2004, 01:48 PM
Loaiza is horrible and proving that last year was a fluke. But he still on occasion pitches ok. I would have probably done the trade if it was an option, but it is kind of white flagging it. This team is still in it despite the horrible play of recent. I just cant comprehend why they cant beat detroit

Dice
07-31-2004, 01:49 PM
What are you smoking? You don't trade a young, good SP that you own the rights to next year. You lock him up long term.What I'm smoking? Probably the same thing your smoking trying to keep Garland for a long time. We'd be better off getting a pitcher in free agency than deal with this kid. Just because he's young doesn't mean you lock him up to a long term deal. Young pitcher? Yes. Good Pitcher? NO.

In his 4 years with the big leagues he's yet to put together a season where he has had a winning record and had an ERA under 4. For Christ sakes! Can he at least give us a 11-10 season?

NOT ONE WINNING SEASON IN HIS 4 YEARS! NOT ONE!

skobabe8
07-31-2004, 02:01 PM
I just cant comprehend why they cant beat detroit
Start with some poor defense and add a complete lack of hitting. And whatever little hitting there is, its no where to be found in the clutch with RISP. Among other things...

DickAllen72
07-31-2004, 02:16 PM
Do you think all our problems would be solved if Juan Uribe were the every-day shortstop?

No. I didn't say that. All I said was they should trade Valentin. Period.

JoseCanseco6969
07-31-2004, 03:51 PM
That's what I've been saying. But everyone kept telling me NO ONE would want Loaiza. They kept saying he's UNTRADABLE. I guess the Mets didn't think so. We should have traded him.

We are still in the race, and losing Loaiza for a decent prospect or player wouldn't change that.
HE GONE

DickAllen72
07-31-2004, 04:02 PM
HE GONE

Told ya so!!!
:)

nasox
07-31-2004, 04:31 PM
Told ya so!!!
:)
Nice call. Kenny comes through in the clutch (now only if joe borchard could do so).