PDA

View Full Version : LA - FLA trade

StepsInSC
07-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Havn't seen this posted yet. ESPN reporting LA and Florida have agreed to the following:

LA gets:
Penny, Choi, Murphy

FLA gets:
Mota, Lo Duca, Encarnacion.

Edit: forgot linky

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1849414

mjmcend
07-30-2004, 10:39 PM
Supposedly this is the precurser to the Dodgers getting Johnson.

FightingBillini
07-30-2004, 10:45 PM
For their sake they better. Giving up Mota and LoDuca for fatty Penny and Bob's Big Choi is close to retarded.

You can find starting pitching almost anywhere. It may not be great, but you can find decent starters rather easily. Very young lights out set up men are extremely rare, and a lights out set up-closer combo is unbelievable. Also, LoDuca is the heart of this team. They will regret this trade for a long time.

Jjav829
07-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Those are some nice additions for the Marlins. I'm not sure about Lo Duca and Mota's contract situations (how long they are signed for), but those two will really help them. They don't lose too much. Penny was probably gone at the end of the year anyway. They can use Conine at 1st for the short term, and Jason Stokes there for the future.

The Dodgers have to get Johnson and Finley or they screwed themselves.

Randar68
07-30-2004, 11:49 PM
The Dodgers have to get Johnson and Finley or they screwed themselves.
If they don't, Depodesta might not last another year. Retarded trade, I can't believe what they gave up for Choi+Penny. Unreal...

OurBitchinMinny
07-31-2004, 01:11 AM
Isnt murphy one of floridas top pitching prospects?

MarkEdward
07-31-2004, 02:54 AM
For their sake they better. Giving up Mota and LoDuca for fatty Penny and Bob's Big Choi is close to retarded.

You can find starting pitching almost anywhere. It may not be great, but you can find decent starters rather easily. Very young lights out set up men are extremely rare, and a lights out set up-closer combo is unbelievable. Also, LoDuca is the heart of this team. They will regret this trade for a long time.I'm going to assume the Dodgers neither get Johnson nor Finley and therefore keep Penny, Choi, and Murphy...

I'd say it's a decent trade for both teams. The Dodgers get a young 1B who's living up to his hype this year (.305 EQA). This move will allow Green to move back to the outfield with Bradley and Werth/Roberts. Brad Penny has been very good this year (one of the best starters in baseball according to Baseball Prospectus) and gives the Dodgers another must-needed starter (arguably, he's currently the ace of the Dodger staff). Murphy has a had a decent year in Carolina (4.08 ERA, over one K per inning) and he's still relatively young. Though losing Lo Duca is tough, both Dave Ross and Koyie Hill will be able to handle catching duties.

Though Mota's pitched well this year, he's not exactly young (30) and the Dodgers will be able to move one of their starters to the pen now that Penny is in the rotation. Nonetheless, the Marlins needed help in the pen. Armando Benetiz has been the only real positive contributor to the pen. Lo Duca (.276 EQA) is a big upgrade over Mike Redmond (.232) and the three minor league vets they've thrown out there (I'm a bit disappointed, I thought Castro would hit much better). Encarnacion hasn't done much this year (.244 EQA), but he's a decent option off the bench (able to play all three defensive positions) and he can spell veteran Jeff Conine from time to time.

According to Baseball America, the Dodgers will soon acquire the Rockies' Charles Johnson to replace Lo Duca. They'll then trade Penny, Werth, and one of their better pitching prospects for Johnson and Finley. The Marlins will Encarnacion (along with 1B prospect Jason Stokes) to get Larry Walker. All in all, if the Dodgers get Johnson and Finley while keeping Choi, I'd give a big thumbs-up to Depodesta and company.

ChiSoxfaninMinny,
Murphy came to Florida in the Mark Redman deal with the A's. IMO, he's neither better nor worse than any other pitching prospect throwing in AA. Bunch of strikeouts, not very good control.

jeremyb1
07-31-2004, 01:17 PM
I seem to be the only one but I think this is a great trade for the Dodgers. You can even use the proven method of comparing one player vs. another and it works out. Penny is considerably better than Mota. He's younger and he's a starting pitcher. Choi is as good as LoDuca. People like to whine about his K's and what not but he gets on base and he hits for power. I don't see the problem. LoDuca became very overrated because he's a catcher and he hits for average but he doesn't do a lot else. He's basically as good as Olivo except that he's 32. Choi is 25.

Encarnacion is pretty terrible and the prospect isn't anything.

StepsInSC
07-31-2004, 03:34 PM
Choi is as good as LoDuca.
Then when you factor in LoDuca was a team leader and plays at a position where its much harder to find quality players...