PDA

View Full Version : If you had your choice between.....

07-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Your Kenny Williams....Jerry calls you in the office...says "Go out and get Randy Johnson or Carlos Beltran, at any price, but you can only get one" Who would you pick? Which player has the best shot at getting you to the WS? Randy Johnson would be outstanding, but he plays once every 5 days and won't go undeafted, so in 2 months, we are only getting 9 starts from him....Carlos Beltran is a 5 tool player who can add speed and Power, but went to Houston and Houston has gotton worse I think....But I really think for his speed, power, and since Maggs and Frank are out, I would get Beltran....Maggs and Frank healthy, Randy no problem.

skobabe8
07-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Beltran....and then re-sign him.

Brian26
07-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Great question. Randy Johnson's value SKYROCKETS if we make the playoffs. He's almost an automatic win in any short series. The problem, however, is that we have to get there first. Beltran's probably more valuable in getting to the actually playoffs, but RJ's more valuable during the short playoff series. Remember that a pitching staff gets shortened in a short series too. Imagine bringing RJ out of the pen in relief in a game 4 or game 5. Unstoppable.

SoxxoS
07-30-2004, 04:54 PM
We need a little Randy and a little Kendall...

That is why I have the best solution:

BROOKS KIESCHNICK.

Baby Fisk
07-30-2004, 05:05 PM
:KW

"Y'all are just gonna have to wait until tomorrow to see what happens. But since this is just between you and me, and Jerry's not around, lemme whisper two words I know will help you sleep better tonight: Paul. Abbott. Sweet dreams my babies. I'll see you all at the World Series parade."

Foulke You
07-30-2004, 05:36 PM
I'd take Randy Johnson. He is the most dominant pitcher in all of baseball. All you need is 2 or 3 runs when Johnson is on the hill and you get a win. A true stopper, an ace. You can never stockpile enough pitching. Beltran is a fine player but as far as impact goes, I don't think you can find a bigger impact pitcher than the Big Unit. I have to believe the Sox offense is going to snap out of this funk at some point and then pitching is what is at a premium. Johnson will also help you win the games he doesn't pitch in because he goes deep into ballgames, thus keeping your bullpen fresh. (i.e. keeping Mike Jackson's behind glued to the bench) If you got to the playoffs a rotation of Johnson, Garcia, and Buehrle would be as formidable as anybody's big 3.

OzzieBall2004
07-30-2004, 05:43 PM
No disrespect to this post, and I realize its hypothetical, but this is far from relevant. Neither player is coming here, and maybe both arent moving...

However, I'd take Beltran if we could resign him (also not possible), and Randy if not.

07-30-2004, 06:02 PM
No disrespect to this post, and I realize its hypothetical, but this is far from relevant. Neither player is coming here, and maybe both arent moving...

However, I'd take Beltran if we could resign him (also not possible), and Randy if not.
Just making some chatter!

juanuribe
07-30-2004, 06:11 PM
Just making some chatter!
I think Gene Honda could make CARLOS BELTRAN sound better than Randy Johnson.

Plus, Beltran plays every day, would solidify the lineup and hopefully play more fundamentally sound ball than whomever he would replace.

CF Beltran
RF Rowand
LF Lee
DH Everett
1B Konerko
3B Crede
SS Uribe
2B Harris
C 3 headed monster of Alomar, Burke, Davis

After all that typing, I do have to add that there's no way in H E double hockey sticks that he's coming here, and sad to say, neither is the Unit.

Jurr
07-30-2004, 10:07 PM
Beltran.......Randy Johnson helps you one day out of 5. And, if you can't hit the ball, it doesn't matter who's pitching. Randy does give up runs, and if he gives up 3 and we can't pick him up, he's in the same boat as he was in AZ.

doublem23
07-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Randy... At least you know he's around for next season, so you can worry about the present and the future. Woo Hoo!