PDA

View Full Version : Some July Sox Stats..

StepsInSC
07-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Some stats from July, as a team:

BA: .227 (MLB Rank: 30th)
OBP: .289 (30th)
SLG: .396 (25th)
OPS: .685 (28th)
HR: 36 (11th)

Obviously there are a couple of different ways to take this, the first being that we just plain suck and will continue to suck for the rest of the season. The other being that this is a bad stretch that most teams go through, and we've got nowhere to go but up. I tend to agree with the latter, but w/o Maggs and Frank I'm not so sure.

I do think these numbers speak loudly that we have no need for Cliff Floyd. Even without Hurt and Maggs we are capable of hitting homers, but we need someone to get on base in front of them. I like Floyd a lot, but it seems pretty clear to me what we need, or who we need. I know his contract is huge, and its only a pipedream, but I really don't want to see a trade go down unless its for him. I'd rather stick it out with what we've got for the rest of the season on the idea that this team can only get better.

Soxzilla
07-30-2004, 03:23 PM
Those stats make me want to cry.

StepsInSC
07-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Those stats make me want to cry.
I know, they're horrible.

I never expected Uribe and Harris to play as good as they did at the beginning of the season, or even Valentin for that matter, but this is crazy. Uribe batted around .130 in July.

Soxzilla
07-30-2004, 03:31 PM
So basically what we can hope for is that since basically all of our players are slumping so hard, and I mean ALL of them, they are gonna turn it around really quick and we are just gonna be swinging the bats like crazy for the stretch! Right?:D:

I mean, I suppose that this what we have to take this whole thing as, a big freaking funk, it happens, and we'll get over it. I'm not saying that uribe and harris are going to raise those avg's back up .310 or anything, but man, you gotta believe that our bats are going to get hot. And I mean...HOT.:angry:

StepsInSC
07-30-2004, 03:34 PM
So basically what we can hope for is that since basically all of our players are slumping so hard, and I mean ALL of them, they are gonna turn it around really quick and we are just gonna be swinging the bats like crazy for the stretch! Right?:D:

I mean, I suppose that this what we have to take this whole thing as, a big freaking funk, it happens, and we'll get over it. I'm not saying that uribe and harris are going to raise those avg's back up .310 or anything, but man, you gotta believe that our bats are going to get hot. And I mean...HOT.:angry:
Well PK has been consistent throughout this I think. And CLee has been tearing things up, everyone else around them though is absolutely worthless though, IMHO. At least, they've been playing that way.

BigEdWalsh
07-30-2004, 03:42 PM
Those stats are downright scary. Yikes. I gotta believe things will improve. How could they get worse?! Like most, I knew Uribe and Harris couldn't keep up what they were doing in April/May. Valentin hasn't hit a lick lately and has been probably the biggest disappointment for me. Maybe I just expect too much of the guy. Like an idiot I hope for about .275/.280 out of Valentin.
In some ways I would like to see Floyd come here. But, only if Borchard is the "prospect" involved. Sweeney (sp?) at 19 is someone I'd hate to see go for a shot (a slim shot) at late season improvement.

Brian26
07-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Here's another sickening stat, and I have no idea how the hell this happened:

Billy Koch's ERA in the past 30 games is only 1.50.

Hangar18
07-30-2004, 08:06 PM
I know, they're horrible.

I never expected Uribe and Harris to play as good as they did at the beginning of the season, or even Valentin for that matter, but this is crazy. Uribe batted around .130 in July.
Heres the best part. Despite those stats (directly related to not having Thomas & Ordonez), this team is doing EVERYTHING in their power to NOT
resign Magglio Ordonez. This is pathetic. Take a good whiff everyone,
this is what this teams going to be like if we DONT keep Maggs. and I
dont plan on watching this team stink like this for years ........

StepsInSC
07-30-2004, 08:18 PM
Here's another sickening stat, and I have no idea how the hell this happened:

Billy Koch's ERA in the past 30 games is only 1.50.
Koch has only pitched in 16 games with the Marlins, and his ERA is 3.79 in those 16...and Lord knows that the prior 14 games he pitched in with the Sox his ERA was not low enough to lower the 3.79 ERA...so I'm drawing a blank in where you are coming up with those stats.

RKMeibalane
07-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Koch has only pitched in 16 games with the Marlins, and his ERA is 3.79 in those 16...and Lord knows that the prior 14 games he pitched in with the Sox his ERA was not low enough to lower the 3.79 ERA...so I'm drawing a blank in where you are coming up with those stats.
He must mean the past thirty games that the Marlins have played. I don't know how many appearances Koch would have had during those thirty games, but it's possible that he could have had an ERA of 1.50.

Frater Perdurabo
07-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Hangar,

I too want Maggs to finish his career with the Sox, but at this point we have to acknowledge his injury could be career-threatening or career-damaging. If the Sox don't think he will be 100%, they can't invest $15M per year for five years for him. Even if he can only DH, then do the Sox let Thomas go? A DH isn't worth what Maggs' agent is demanding right now. The Sox need to take it easy right now on the Maggs front.

A smart deal right now would be sending pitching prospects to Toronto for Frank Catalanotto and Gregg Zaun. This would bring some much needed OBP to the top of the Sox lineup, allowing a Harris/Uribe platoon at 2B in the nine hole. This would be a low-cost way to jump-start the Sox offense. The Sox still have power, they just need guys on base for Lee, Everett, Paulie and Jose.