PDA

View Full Version : Seemingly "Pointless" Attack on Crazy Carl

Baby Fisk
07-30-2004, 12:15 PM
I haven't read a lot of this guy's columns, but this all seems like pointless deadline-filler. Players can police themselves when it comes to HR and mound demonstrations. Am I getting worked up for no reason? This ticked me off because the implication is that once a White Sox player starts pointing to the sky, then things have gone too far. Sosa's bunny hops and Bonds's vainglorious HR stares were tolerable until Crazy Carl joined in, forcing this guy to speak out? GMAB. :angry:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040729morrissey,1,7450784.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Pointing to sky on homer trot misses point
Rick Morrissey -- Chicago Tribune

Carl Everett hit a home run, deep and straight and true, over the center-field wall the other night. As he rounded third base, he kissed the fingers on his right hand, then pointed to the sky. He did the same thing as he crossed home plate.

The celebration seemed a tad much, seeing as how the White Sox hadn't just won the World Series. After Everett's solo shot, they trailed the Twins 7-3 in the ninth inning of a game in late July.

Until Everett, I never had seen someone do it twice as he rounded the bases. It was as if the ante were being raised, as if baseball's arms and fingers race were being ratcheted up a few notches. It seemed excessive.

Soxzilla
07-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Does he not realize how much Crazy Carl hates dinosaurs?

Seriously though, it's called religion. Why is it Carl's fault that god blessed him with the long ball?

WSox8404
07-30-2004, 12:18 PM
I haven't read a lot of this guy's columns, but this all seems like pointless deadline-filler. Players can police themselves when it comes to HR and mound demonstrations. Am I getting worked up for no reason? This ticked me off because the implication is that once a White Sox player starts pointing to the sky, then things have gone too far. Sosa's bunny hops and Bonds's vainglorious HR stares were tolerable until Crazy Carl joined in, forcing this guy to speak out? GMAB. :angry:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040729morrissey,1,7450784.column?coll=cs-home-utility
Funny how a Sox player forced him to speak out....

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
07-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Thats one of the stupidest things ive ever heard. Of course it was printed in the Cubune. That guy has gotta be a cubs fan. They are the only type of people who would come up with something as dumb as that. Sosa hops any time he makes contact. I saw him hop yesterday on a fould tip that went into the catchers mit. This just shows how ignorant and ticked of the cubs fans are cuz the sox have a better organization and the only fans they can draw in are ones who only care about wrigley and couldnt name 3 of the cubs starters.

HomeFish
07-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Does he not realize how much Crazy Carl hates dinosaurs?

Seriously though, it's called religion. Why is it Carl's fault that god blessed him with the long ball?

In my interpretation of the Bible, God can punish Everett with homers all he wants.

Foulke29
07-30-2004, 12:25 PM
I live in Bloomington, IL, and this morning on the radio, the local classic rock DJ was ripping on Carl for doing the same thing - which surprised me considering it was a few days ago - now I understand.

Those Tribune writers are A-holes, and so are their Scrub fan readers who are DJs. I want to:

:chunks

on both of them.

Skorch
07-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Thats one of the stupidest things ive ever heard.I agree, that's pretty d*** nitpicky. Considering your northside rivals have a player that jumps for joy like an 8-year-old who got a new bike on his birthday, he's looking in the wrong direction. I saw Everett do that and thought nothing of it. I thought it was a nice gesture actually, and he hit it against the team I was rooting for.

Perhaps this Morrissey has decided to take up the whining that his namesake in England has been doing since singing for The Smiths...

Foulke29
07-30-2004, 01:07 PM
northside rivals have a player that jumps for joy like an 8-year-old who got a new bike on his birthday
an 8-year-old girl no less :redneck

mcfish
07-30-2004, 01:17 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2091

"I don't think Rick Morrissey has ever seen me pitch."

Aidan
07-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Has he ever seen Sosa's hop skip and a jump everytime he homers and even when he flies out? Then he follows it up with kissing his hand or something. :rolleyes:

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-30-2004, 01:30 PM
What a joke. Anything that will fill up the column inches and bash the sox or a sox player is OK I guess in the chicago newspapers. :angry:

Jjav829
07-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Ok, let's be honest here. How many people actually read the column? Judging by a few posts, there are some who didn't. If you had read the article, you'd see that Morissey bashes Zambrano for pointing to the sky after an out. He bashes Sammy Sosa for his finger-kissing, heart-tapping routine. This wasn't just some columnist ripping a Sox player.

I guess I'm going to be in the minority here because I agree with every single thing Morissey said. It's a very good column. To say anything else would be hypocrisy. I bash Sammy for his celebration. I don't like Bret Boone's bat flip. I don't like Milton Bradley taking off his gloves before he even leaves the batters box. I don't like Matt Lawton's HR stare down. I don't like Barry Bonds HR stare down. I don't like Carlos Zambrano pointing to the sky after every inning. I don't like any of the pitchers who do that, be it Antonio Alfonseca or Jose Mesa. I don't like when players imply that God was the reason they won, as if God decided to make the other team lose. So to say I am fine with what Carl Everett does would simply make me a hypocrite.

Skorch
07-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Ok, let's be honest here. How many people actually read the column? Judging by a few posts, there are some who didn't. If you had read the article, you'd see that Morissey bashes Zambrano for pointing to the sky after an out. He bashes Sammy Sosa for his finger-kissing, heart-tapping routine. This wasn't just some columnist ripping a Sox player.

I guess I'm going to be in the minority here because I agree with every single thing Morissey said. It's a very good column. To say anything else would be hypocrisy. I bash Sammy for his celebration. I don't like Bret Boone's bat flip. I don't like Milton Bradley taking off his gloves before he even leaves the batters box. I don't like Matt Lawton's HR stare down. I don't like Barry Bonds HR stare down. I don't like Carlos Zambrano pointing to the sky after every inning. I don't like any of the pitchers who do that, be it Antonio Alfonseca or Jose Mesa. I don't like when players imply that God was the reason they won, as if God decided to make the other team lose. So to say I am fine with what Carl Everett does would simply make me a hypocrite.I'll admit I didn't read the whole article, I figured what was posted above was the whole thing. I'm not registered with Tribune, anyways.

For me homerun celebrations are a matter of personal taste; some I care for, some I don't. First of all run like it's going to land in the park until the ump signals it's a homerun, don't just stand there and admire your handiwork. Second, keep it simple. Even Henry Blanco hits homeruns occassionally, it's not usually something worth making a regular production of. Act like you've done it before, even if you haven't. The temptation would be there for me to hit Sosa with a pitch during his next at-bat if he did his gymnastics routine after a homerun.

I don't mind showing that you're happy you did something well, just show some modesty and restraint. What can I say, I'm a Minnesotan.

At least no one's pulled a cell phone from under homeplate to call someone while they round the bases.

WinTwins
07-30-2004, 02:43 PM
I think there's a lot to go into what's behind the column, the gestures, and in all of our responses. On the surface, celebrations are pretty ingrained in all athletics now, for better of for worse. From a religious standpoint, I'm not bothered by Everett's demonstrations if his attitude is one of thankfulness rather than boastfullness (Sosa, Boone, Bonds, etc.) The fact that he continued to offer his version of thanks despite his team losing also underscores the biblical principle of giving thanks in all times, places and circumstances, which to me indicates something deeper in Carl than a player who's quick to thank God for the latest victory. Why is Morrissey upset? Where was the line crossed? I think you're correct in asserting that this column is nothing more than throwaway deadline-filler, written by someone who (like all of us) are not fully aware of the motivations of a player whose past comments have made him an easy target for ridicule.

Baby Fisk
07-30-2004, 03:21 PM

I guess I'm going to be in the minority here because I agree with every single thing Morissey said. It's a very good column. To say anything else would be hypocrisy. I bash Sammy for his celebration. I don't like Bret Boone's bat flip. I don't like Milton Bradley taking off his gloves before he even leaves the batters box. I don't like Matt Lawton's HR stare down. I don't like Barry Bonds HR stare down. I don't like Carlos Zambrano pointing to the sky after every inning. I don't like any of the pitchers who do that, be it Antonio Alfonseca or Jose Mesa. I don't like when players imply that God was the reason they won, as if God decided to make the other team lose. So to say I am fine with what Carl Everett does would simply make me a hypocrite.My bad for posting the first few paragraphs only. I know we are not supposed to reproduce entire articles here, which is why the link was provided.

Jjav is correct that Morrissey calls out Sosa, Zambrano and Bonds, but I disagree that "this wasn't just some columnist ripping a Sox player." I think that that's exactly what it is. My point is: why did it take a Sox player making a relatively unflamboyant gesture to trigger a response from this guy? Sosa's antics and Bonds's poses are ridiculous. For him to single out Carl as being "excessive" really bugged me. :angry:

SoxFan76
07-30-2004, 05:22 PM
God does not help players hit home runs. I think He has more important things to worry about. I can't stand when athletes thank God for their athletic careers. More power to them that the celebrate their faith, but I think God is more worried about people living good lives and not killing each other. Not if Everett hits a home run. Some might find my statement a little controversial, but I don't know. That's just my opinion.

Blob
07-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Has he ever seen Sosa's hop skip and a jump everytime he homers and even when he flies out? Then he follows it up with kissing his hand or something. :rolleyes:That's what I was going to say. Soso kisses his hand like a thousand times. But, he does it in the dugout so NO ONE see's it!:rolleyes: