PDA

View Full Version : Anymore word on Thomas injury or timetable on return

Mots09
07-30-2004, 12:36 PM
I believe he will probably be out the rest of the year. That type of injury takes time to heel from. Especially when you weigh 260 lbs.

Just wondering if anyone heard anything more...

Wealz
07-30-2004, 01:04 PM
Williams said in yesterday's Herald that they could get both back by mid-to-late August. I think that is nothing more than wishful thinking.

wood28
07-30-2004, 02:02 PM
I think he is saying that so he doesn't look as desparate in the trade market

fledgedrallycap
07-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Williams said in yesterday's Herald that they could get both back by mid-to-late August. I think that is nothing more than wishful thinking.
Agreed. That's two weeks away!

SOXSINCE'70
07-30-2004, 02:47 PM
I won't hold my breath.:nuts: :nuts:

Mickster
08-02-2004, 12:11 PM
I talked to two different Sox coaches who also said that it looks like mid-late august for Hurt. Not so rosie for Maggs, tho.

samram
08-02-2004, 12:22 PM
I believe he will probably be out the rest of the year. That type of injury takes time to heel from. Especially when you weigh 260 lbs.

Just wondering if anyone heard anything more...
Just check the Maggs and Frank watch in the Tribune Sports section everyday!

munchman33
08-02-2004, 12:53 PM
A friend of mine went to Vegas recently and said he saw Frank gambling (big surprise). He said he was walking around like normal, with no limp. I hope that means he's close to putting on a uniform.

As for Maggs, I'd be surprised if he played again next year, let alone this year. Players don't cry when they find out their season is over. They do cry when their career is in jeopardy.

SoxxoS
08-02-2004, 01:01 PM
A friend of mine went to Vegas recently and said he saw Frank gambling (big surprise). He said he was walking around like normal, with no limp. I hope that means he's close to putting on a uniform.

As for Maggs, I'd be surprised if he played again next year, let alone this year. Players don't cry when they find out their season is over. They do cry when their career is in jeopardy.
He does live in Vegas, so I am sure that is the case.

It's possible that a major leaguer (Maggs) is very passionate about the team, and what his loss meant. With the players these days (I sound like my father) that is shocking, I know.

owensmouth
08-02-2004, 01:15 PM
They get mighty upset when they picture $70 million flying away, money that
could already have been guaranteed.

Tekijawa
08-02-2004, 01:17 PM
As for Maggs, I'd be surprised if he played again next year, let alone this year. Players don't cry when they find out their season is over. They do cry when their career is in jeopardy.I've seen players practically go crazy when they knew their season was over from injury... Especially when their team is as good as we were just a few weeks ago.

samram
08-02-2004, 01:19 PM

As for Maggs, I'd be surprised if he played again next year, let alone this year. Players don't cry when they find out their season is over. They do cry when their career is in jeopardy.They may cry if they find out their contract year has become a major disappointment, and there are suddenly questions about where they'll be and how much they'll make next year, when they could have signed a guaranteed deal and had the security they took for granted. I'm not saying this is the case, but it's a possibility.

EDIT: Owensmouth beat me to it.:smile:

JB98
08-02-2004, 01:21 PM
I talked to two different Sox coaches who also said that it looks like mid-late august for Hurt. Not so rosie for Maggs, tho.
It's hard to get updates when the Chicago papers don't cover our team the way they are supposed to, but I've heard the same rumblings you have. Frank will be back, but we are wasting our time being optimistic about Maggs. This injury is pretty much an unknown. It's rarely seen in baseball players, so who knows how quickly he'll respond to treatment?

samram
08-02-2004, 01:28 PM
It's hard to get updates when the Chicago papers don't cover our team the way they are supposed to, but I've heard the same rumblings you have. Frank will be back, but we are wasting our time being optimistic about Maggs. This injury is pretty much an unknown. It's rarely seen in baseball players, so who knows how quickly he'll respond to treatment?
If that's true about Frank, I think just his presence in the lineup would make a huge difference- not as many 1,2,3 first innings for the opposition, plus Carlos could get pushed down to the 4 hole, where he seems to be much more comfortable (that's where he hit during the 28 game hit streak, IIRC).

LASOXFAN
08-02-2004, 01:47 PM
I think Ordonez will be back in September. Edema is a funny thing and the trauma his leg experienced from the collision was more serious than anyone realized. If had he had surgery, then rested the leg even longer and not put any pressure on it, he probably would've been back right about now. At least that's what I've learned about it from those on the medical side.

Regardless, these guys need to learn how to play without mags or frank. I don't think they can win the division but at least they can be competetive and not mail it in.

Kilroy
08-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Regardless, these guys need to learn how to play without mags or frank. I don't think they can win the division but at least they can be competetive and not mail it in.
What I think you need to realize is that both Frank and Maggs are way better than they get credit for. Sox fans tend to take them for granted.

LASOXFAN
08-02-2004, 02:11 PM
What I think you need to realize is that both Frank and Maggs are way better than they get credit for. Sox fans tend to take them for granted.
I totally agree with you, don't get me wrong. We could go on for hours about what their presence means in the lineup. What we've seen since they've been out is a complete meltdown. The coaches say the players are trying too hard. From where I sit it looks like they've given up. I think the truth lies somewhere in between. I'm not saying they aren't trying, just that they look like that don't believe they have a chance. No fight. Reminds me a lot of Manuel's teams the last couple of years.

wdelaney72
08-02-2004, 02:13 PM
I agree 100%.

Not so much about Maggs (I've always been pretty aware of how important he was to the offense), but yes with Frank. I used to be the President of the "Get Frank Out of Town" club. Now, I want to cry every time I see the lineup without his name in it. His OBP was crucial for the Sox.

SoxxoS
08-02-2004, 02:36 PM
ESPN said this about Maggs,

He is the most overrated underrated player in baseball.

I agree 100%.

Deadguy
08-02-2004, 03:16 PM
ESPN said this about Maggs,

He is the most overrated underrated player in baseball.

I agree 100%. I don't disagree with that. He has been voted one of the top 10 most valubale players in the league just once in his career, and he is 30 years old. If he was a "superstar", why hasn't he been viewed as one of the ten most valubale players in the league more than once? You'd think that'd be a given. Plus, coming into this season, he was just 30th among active players in adjusted OPS:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/OPSplus_active.shtml

Not to slam a guy now that his career is in limbo, but I'm glad that his ego priced himself out of a longterm contract. Magglio probably spent too much time slobbering over his own press clippings to take any White Sox offer seriously.

Deadguy
08-02-2004, 03:22 PM
I talked to two different Sox coaches who also said that it looks like mid-late august for Hurt.
Terrific. Just in time to be that essential late-inning decoy we've been missing.

If Frank does return that quickly, I hope he is at least 90%. He is just a DH, but with his weight and the type of injuries he has, it sounds like it wouldn't take much to reaggravate those injuries. I don't want to see Frank out there if it's the Thomas we saw from June 17th till he was put on the DL.

skobabe8
08-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Skobabe8's perfect scenario:

Sox take KC, Cleveland, and Detroit behind the woodshed in August. September comes, and we pull within 3 games of first by mid-month. Frank returns Sept. 14 for the first of the final 6 vs. Minny. We win 5 and finish the season strong winning 15 of the last 20 to take the AL central by 2 games. Final record: 91-71. Maggs returns 100% for Game 1 of the ALDS. LET'S ROLL!! :supernana:

DickAllen72
08-02-2004, 04:39 PM

That's interesting. I thought he was fitted with a special prosthetic boot that he was supposed to wear for six weeks. It was supposed to keep all the weight off of his foot.
:?:

JB98
08-02-2004, 05:30 PM
That's interesting. I thought he was fitted with a special prosthetic boot that he was supposed to wear for six weeks. It was supposed to keep all the weight off of his foot.
:?:
I don't think he was supposed to wear the boot for six weeks. The timetable for his return to action was 6-8 weeks. I was under the impression that the healing time plus the rehab period would be a total of about six weeks. Of course, I'm no doctor, but I interpreted all the reports I read as saying that the last week of August or the first week of September would be the earliest he could return, thinking optimistically.

Whitesox029
08-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Just check the Maggs and Frank watch in the Tribune Sports section everyday!Post-of-the-week material my friend.
:supernana:
God I love that banana

jabrch
08-02-2004, 08:04 PM
While I agree to some extent, on the other hand you need to keep in mind that any team losing its two top hitters would struggle. We are actually doing remarkably well without them - which is more a testament to the guys currently here than a testament to the guys we are missing.

I like Magglio. And I'll miss him next year. But I look forward to what Kenny can do with the 14mm that he is going to be able to use either for the last open rotation spot, or to package with Valentin's money to pursue a SS (Rentiria?)

Whitesox029
08-02-2004, 10:15 PM
Skobabe8's perfect scenario:

Sox take KC, Cleveland, and Detroit behind the woodshed in August. September comes, and we pull within 3 games of first by mid-month. Frank returns Sept. 14 for the first of the final 6 vs. Minny. We win 5 and finish the season strong winning 15 of the last 20 to take the AL central by 2 games. Final record: 91-71. Maggs returns 100% for Game 1 of the ALDS. LET'S ROLL!! :supernana: Whitesox029's perfect 2004scenario:
Frank and Maggs make surprise overnight miraculous full recoveries, each get six hits in first games back, tomorrow and tuesday respectively. Sox win every remaining game on the schedule, finish 113-49. Paul Konerko becomes first major leaguer since Ted Williams to hit .400 for a whole season. Sox completely shut out wild card Boston in ALDS sweep, scoring 40 runs in 3 games. Sox sweep Yanks 4-0 in ALCS, including second ever post season perfect game by Jose Contreras in game 3. Sox juggernaut shuts out powerhouse St. Louis in 4 in the series. Huge parade is held on Michigan avenue, Nomar decides he wants so much to play for the White Sox that he signs 5 year $5 million deal for 5 years. Ordonez offers to pay Reinsdorf to play for his team. Wrigley Field implodes of its own accord the day after the season ends, Cubs decide to move to North Carolina.

I don't think that's quite a deep enough shade of red. Dream on, Sox fans.

skobabe8
08-03-2004, 03:26 AM
Whitesox029's perfect 2004scenario:
Frank and Maggs make surprise overnight miraculous full recoveries, each get six hits in first games back, tomorrow and tuesday respectively. Sox win every remaining game on the schedule, finish 113-49. Paul Konerko becomes first major leaguer since Ted Williams to hit .400 for a whole season. Sox completely shut out wild card Boston in ALDS sweep, scoring 40 runs in 3 games. Sox sweep Yanks 4-0 in ALCS, including second ever post season perfect game by Jose Contreras in game 3. Sox juggernaut shuts out powerhouse St. Louis in 4 in the series. Huge parade is held on Michigan avenue, Nomar decides he wants so much to play for the White Sox that he signs 5 year $5 million deal for 5 years. Ordonez offers to pay Reinsdorf to play for his team. Wrigley Field implodes of its own accord the day after the season ends, Cubs decide to move to North Carolina.

Yours wins.

ondafarm
08-03-2004, 07:55 AM
Wrigley Field implodes of its own accord the day after the season ends, Cubs decide to move to North Carolina.

Hey, why do you want to push the Cubs off on the good citizens of North Carolina??????:angry: :angry: :angry:

ondafarm
08-03-2004, 08:02 AM
I've seen players practically go crazy when they knew their season was over from injury... Especially when their team is as good as we were just a few weeks ago.
Having been in that situation, albeit in the Japanese industrial league, I can tell you it definately drives a player crazy. I was injured twenty games into my second season (broken patella) and damm near went insane watching my teammates go on first a winning streak and then a couple of losing streaks. With mostly the same guys, we'd won the championship the previous year and then won it again the next year. I injured my other knee on the last game of that year, requiring major reconstructive surgery on the day of the first playoff game. Whom the gods of baseball choose to destroy, they will first drive mad. -P.Syrius (adapted)

samram
08-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Hey, why do you want to push the Cubs off on the good citizens of North Carolina??????:angry: :angry: :angry:
No kidding, keep them and their idiot fans away from here.