PDA

View Full Version : So, if we get Floyd how does our team look next year?

calderon
07-30-2004, 09:56 AM
1B Konerko
2B Harris/Uribe/Offseason pickup(Hariston)
3B Crede
SS Uribe/Renteria,Guzman
CF Rowand
LF Lee
RF Floyd
DH Everett/Thomas???

LASOXFAN
07-30-2004, 10:03 AM
that line up makes me

:chunks

Flight #24
07-30-2004, 10:46 AM
1B Konerko
3B Crede
SS Uribe/Renteria,Guzman
CF Rowand
LF Lee
RF Floyd
DH Everett/Thomas???
If we get Floyd and Hermie thinks he can keep him relatively healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Everett/Konerko/Lee traded for pitching. If the Yanks can't make any moves this year, I could see a Konerko for Dioner Navarro+Contreras+cash trade (after the Yanks sign Pedro and Giambi ends up being basically done).

IIRC, Floyd can rotate between 1B, RF, & DH letting Carl do RH-DH and Frank DH-1B.

It's not a bad move for this year, although I think I might prefer Cat or Hariston (but reportedly the O's want a ML position palyer for Jerry jr.).

Or you resign Jose and put Maggs $$$ into pitching (Clement?) and a cheap catcher (Zaun, etc.).

Wealz
07-30-2004, 11:13 AM
I heard Gammons, I think it was, say that Floyd plans on moving to the A.L. after his deal with the Mets is up because his knees won't allow him to play the field. Now maybe his knees will allow him to play first long-term instead of the outfield who knows.

Aidan
07-30-2004, 11:16 AM
I heard Gammons, I think it was, say that Floyd plans on moving to the A.L. after his deal with the Mets is up because his knees won't allow him to play the field. Now maybe his knees will allow him to play first long-term instead of the outfield who knows.Floyd played some first base in Florida and Montreal years ago. He definately has the size for the position at 6'4", 230 pounds. He does seem suited to be a 1B or DH. He is horrible at hitting lefties though. He is only hitting .189 against lefties this season with a .244 OBP. But he is great against righties hitting .315 with a whopping .402 OBP.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=5177

BigEdWalsh
07-30-2004, 11:17 AM
1B Konerko
3B Crede
SS Uribe/Renteria,Guzman
CF Rowand
LF Lee
RF Floyd
DH Everett/Thomas???
If Floyd comes, I think he'll be pretty much strictly DH.

Aidan
07-30-2004, 11:19 AM
If Floyd comes, I think he'll be pretty much strictly DH.Yep, with Everett in RF. :o:

lowesox
07-30-2004, 11:20 AM
Actually, I think if this team doesn't win this year, we should be making some wholesale changes. I'd keep our starting pitchers, but trade away a lot of our position players for younger, agressive guys who can do all the little things. Forget this 3-run homerun thing, I want a small ball team. That way we wouldn't have to be subjected to these continual offensive slumps and peaks.

Aidan
07-30-2004, 11:21 AM
Actually, I think if this team doesn't win this year, we should be making some wholesale changes. I'd keep our starting pitchers, but trade away a lot of our position players for younger, agressive guys who can do all the little things. Forget this 3-run homerun thing, I want a small ball team. That way we wouldn't have to be subjected to these continual offensive slumps and peaks.Yeah, but that would take a year or two. We would need Brian Anderson in CF. We can't go from a homer run hitting team to a small ball team in one offseason. But I do agree with you. It's also probably what Ozzie wants as well.

JRIG
07-30-2004, 11:31 AM
Actually, I think if this team doesn't win this year, we should be making some wholesale changes. I'd keep our starting pitchers, but trade away a lot of our position players for younger, agressive guys who can do all the little things. Forget this 3-run homerun thing, I want a small ball team. That way we wouldn't have to be subjected to these continual offensive slumps and peaks.
I have a question. Who would you consider "small ball" teams right now?

calderon
07-30-2004, 11:58 AM
I would consider the following "small ball teams"... Twins,Marlins,Dodgers,A's these teams have guys that get on base, and guys to knock them in, we have guys who hit home runs, solo home runs.

WSox8404
07-30-2004, 12:00 PM
I have a question. Who would you consider "small ball" teams right now?
Minnesota (division leader), Oakland (division leader), Atlanta (division leader). None of these teams light anyone up with home runs. And they are all in first. If a team can successfully play small ball such as stealing a bunch of bases, bunting, and executing hit and runs, that team would give the rest of the league fits. It is so hard to defend a team like that. Hard to pitch to them too, especially if they do have some good power hitters. Minnesota basically gives everyone fits. They are for the most part a scrappy team. And it has worked for them over the last few years. The only reason why they didn't go anywhere in the playoffs was because of their pitching staff. This year, if they make it, it might be different. They have 3 great arms in their starting rotation, and Nathan is lights out.

A. Cavatica
07-30-2004, 12:05 PM
1B Konerko
3B Crede
SS Uribe/Renteria,Guzman
CF Rowand
LF Lee
RF Floyd
DH Everett/Thomas???
Yeah, that sums it up. No catcher. We'll lose a lot of games on balls that get through to the backstop.

JRIG
07-30-2004, 12:14 PM
Minnesota (division leader), Oakland (division leader), Atlanta (division leader). None of these teams light anyone up with home runs. And they are all in first. If a team can successfully play small ball such as stealing a bunch of bases, bunting, and executing hit and runs, that team would give the rest of the league fits. It is so hard to defend a team like that. Hard to pitch to them too, especially if they do have some good power hitters. Minnesota basically gives everyone fits. They are for the most part a scrappy team. And it has worked for them over the last few years. The only reason why they didn't go anywhere in the playoffs was because of their pitching staff. This year, if they make it, it might be different. They have 3 great arms in their starting rotation, and Nathan is lights out.
Oakland, who never bunts and never steals, is a "smallball" team? Oakland, who is 26th in the ML in steals and 29th in Sac Bunts? You must be watching a different team.

Wealz
07-30-2004, 12:15 PM
A "small ball" offense at U.S. Cellular Field would be a component of a 90-loss team.

JRIG
07-30-2004, 12:16 PM
A "small ball" offense at U.S. Cellular Field would be a component of a 90-loss team.
Opponents would hit 4 home runs a game, while we waste two outs an inning bunting the leadoff man over to third.

WSox8404
07-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Oakland, who never bunts and never steals, is a "smallball" team? Oakland, who is 26th in the ML in steals and 29th in Sac Bunts? You must be watching a different team.
They must be winning somehow? And it sure as hell ain't with homeruns. But anyway I am sure you get my point. Smallball teams drive other teams nuts.

JRIG
07-30-2004, 12:17 PM
They must be winning somehow? And it sure as hell ain't with homeruns. But anyway I am sure you get my point. Smallball teams drive other teams nuts.
Oakland is 10th in ML in home runs. So those things actually help a little bit.

WSox8404
07-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Oakland is 10th in ML in home runs. So those things actually help a little bit.
I bet they have less solo shots than we do.

DrCrawdad
07-30-2004, 12:22 PM
I know that Cliff went to Thornwood, but IIRC doesn't he hate the Sox? Didn't Cliff say he does NOT want to play for the Sox?

JRIG
07-30-2004, 12:22 PM
I bet they have less solo shots than we do.
So is your point the A's get men on base more often? Of course they do. They have an organization that actually stresses OBP. But getting on base is not "smallball."

habibharu
07-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Oakland wins because beane has a philosophy and sticks to it. He makes a point of drafting and playing guys that take pitches, work the count and have high .OBP. they dont mash the ball, they dont play smallball, they just win! Not to mention that he's got three stud SP

WSox8404
07-30-2004, 12:25 PM
So is your point the A's get men on base more often? Of course they do. They have an organization that actually stresses OBP. But getting on base is not "smallball."
With the A's yes. Stressing OBP is a type of smallball. Hitting 3 solo shots a game is not. The Sox need OBP guys and also quicker guys. I would put money on the fact that we have the slowest team in the majors. Easily.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2004, 12:45 PM
In a Sports Illustrated feature on him from a few years ago, Floyd was quoted as saying that he grew up a die hard Sox fan, was at the park all the time and his hero was Harold Baines.

He did not say one way or the other if he 'hated' the Sox but he did have the Sox listed at that time as one of the teams he could not be traded to.

Lip

DrCrawdad
07-30-2004, 12:49 PM
In a Sports Illustrated feature on him from a few years ago, Floyd was quoted as saying that he grew up a die hard Sox fan, was at the park all the time and his hero was Harold Baines.

He did not say one way or the other if he 'hated' the Sox but he did have the Sox listed at that time as one of the teams he could not be traded to.

Lip

I sit corrected. Thanks!

Win1ForMe
07-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Please tell me how our HR-ball offense has done on the road the past few years. KW must shuffle the core of the team, not necessarily to small-ball, but to some point where the team has more balance in the lineup.

balboner
07-30-2004, 01:15 PM
Either playing for the 3-run homer or playing smallball, it doesnt matter if you have crappy players playing everyday. Right now, between Willie, Timo, Crede, our catchers, and Uribe, there isn't enough talent in our lineup to do anything.

RKMeibalane
07-30-2004, 01:42 PM
I know that Cliff went to Thornwood, but IIRC doesn't he hate the Sox? Didn't Cliff say he does NOT want to play for the Sox?
Floyd has a clause in his contract that prohibits him from being traded to thr Sox. However, I think that has more to do with Jerry Reinsdorf than anything else. During the winter of 2001, Sports Illustarted published an article about Floyd, in which he stated that he grew up a Sox fan, and was one of the many fans chanting "Haarrrold!" in the RF stands.