PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Mid Season Advice to Ozzie

ode to veeck
07-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Post your suggestions here for Ozzie to help the Sox pick it up a notch and get back on a division leading track here.

Here's one: Be a little more selective with Ozzie ball aggressivenes. Others may disagree, but I love the fact that Ozzie's style on calling the shots has small ball flavor (Sox a leader in sacs), nearly anyone may be given a steal sign, and in general, more aggresiveness on the basepaths. However, I think he's got to be more selective, as the rest of the league has picked up on this and is ready to counter. I'm not saying drop it, but realize you're now in more of a cat and mouse situation with a more knowledgable opposition. Ozzie's a sharp guy, so figure out how to maintain unpredictability (an Ozzie trait) without getting scoped out by the other mgr.

Example from last night's game. Down a run in the 8th, Gload singles, and Harris a decent bunter at the plate. Ozzie calls a hit and run on the first pitch, but ends a no play. Harris looks at pitch two ready to bunt. Hit and run called on pitch three, which the Kitties sniffed out and catcher ready to gun down Gload on the outside pitch (pseudo pitch out) Harris didn't have a chance of hitting to protect Gload. Harris doubles down the line 10 sec later, possibly woulda scored Gload, or at least 2nd and 3rd w/no outs.

Now I liked the hit and run on the first pitch, as it did catch everyone, just didn't work out, but Ozzie's alerted the opposition on possible intent here, and they sniffed out and caught him 2 pitches later when he went back to it and helped the Kittens shut down our biggest opportunity late in the game.

Again, the general comment here is not to kill Ozzie ball (e.g., I'd love to see Paulie get another steal this season!), but use it with the knowledge its more expected now and focus on staying unpredictable, realizing the other guys are watching for it.

Evman5
07-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Teach Jose Valentin to hit lefties.

THE_HOOTER
07-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Stop playing favorites.

Foulke29
07-30-2004, 10:39 AM
Bench Harris - use him as a pinch runner.

SoxxoS
07-30-2004, 10:42 AM
Stop the love affair with MIKE FREAKING JACKSON.

DaveIsHere
07-30-2004, 10:42 AM
Ozzie---Win some games!!

voodoochile
07-30-2004, 10:43 AM
Stop playing favorites.
That would be my top advice too.

Another light hitting IF'er for a manager who favors light hitting IF'ers...:?:

WSox8404
07-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Ozzie, stay true to your word you stated in the beginning of the year and STOP PLAYING FAVORITES!! Jose just cost you two games in a row. This would lead most other managers to bench that a guy like that, considering he is hitting a robust .235. Come on Ozzie, show some balls.

Mickster
07-30-2004, 10:51 AM
WIN!

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
07-30-2004, 10:51 AM
get the team energized and pumped up. make them stop swinging for the fences...CARLOS LEE! be more of a hard a**, he is too friendly, i.e. the torii hunter collision with burke. either uribe or valentine needs some time warmin up the bench. both of their bats have been more than lacking.

mcfish
07-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Teach Jose Valentin to hit lefties.
Teach Jose Valentin to hit righties too.

Baby Fisk
07-30-2004, 11:59 AM
Quit acting like Jerry Manuel.

Light a fire. Declare war on the Twins. Strike back. Bench non-performers. Get this team off its collective ass and go on a tear over the next three months that we will talk about for years!

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
07-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Quit acting like Jerry Manuel.

Light a fire. Declare war on the Twins. Strike back. Bench non-performers. Get this team off its collective ass and go on a tear over the next three months that we will talk about for years!

I completely agree with this. A little earlier in the year it was all about an attitude and the team chemistry was great and the sox were extremely exciting to watch. But it seems like most of that has left with the injuries to frank and maggs. Ozzie can be a great manager and he showed that earlier. But recently he does seem very much the same as jerry manuel.

Baby Fisk
07-30-2004, 12:31 PM
I completely agree with this. A little earlier in the year it was all about an attitude and the team chemistry was great and the sox were extremely exciting to watch. But it seems like most of that has left with the injuries to frank and maggs. Ozzie can be a great manager and he showed that earlier. But recently he does seem very much the same as jerry manuel.I don't understand why the air has gone out of this team so suddenly. Yes, Frank & Maggs on the DL was harsh, but I can't believe this would be a crippling blow. Whatever became of all the great "chemistry" we were hearing about and seeing in the dugout earlier this season? Suddenly, Ozzie looks like a man with many great burdens on his shoulders, and the team is feeding off that passivity/negativity/call-it-what-you-will. Wha happened?! :?:

lowesox
07-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Call a press conference and guarantee that the sox will win the pennant. Show your players you believe in them and they'll respond.

(Also: have somebody throw a pitch at Tori Hunter's face the next time we play them.)

lowesox
07-30-2004, 12:44 PM
I don't understand why the air has gone out of this team so suddenly. :?:
Actually, I don't think it's been so sudden. We've been very close to .500 or under for the last 50 games.

Whatever became of all the great "chemistry" we were hearing about and seeing in the dugout earlier this season?
I think that died when KW started spinning the revolving door of number 5 starters.

Foulke You
07-30-2004, 12:53 PM
A few of Foulke You's Managarial Tips:

1. I would keep Mike Jackson glued to his bench in the bullpen never to appear again.

2. Don't have players try to bunt who aren't good at it like Joe Crede or Aaron Rowand. It is counter productive to what you are trying to accomplish.

3. Stick with a two catcher rotation. Jamie Burke and Ben Davis. Sandy is really showing his age and would be best left to call games from the dugout.

4. Joe Borchard is overmatched by MLB pitching. Do not play him simply because he can hit right handed. An out is an out regardless of which batters box they are in. At least Timo Perez or Ross Gload will be a threat to get a hit. The stakes are too high to pin your hopes on a rookie.

5. Don't let Shingo pitch more than 1 inning a game. Bad things seem to happen when he is stretched longer than 1 inning.

6. Play Juan Uribe every day. When he was hitting, he was playing every single game. He will never snap out of his funk playing 3 games a week.

7. Sit Joe Crede down for a couple games. Sometimes players will respond if they think their jobs are in jeopardy. His defense hasn't been stellar enough recently to keep him in for his glove. It might wake him up.

8. Call pitch outs more often!! I am tired of watching teams steal bases at will on us. (Joe Nossek, where art thou gone?)

alohafri
07-30-2004, 01:10 PM
Quit listening to KW.
He's been calling the shots (regarding the lineups and such). No way is Ozzie dumb enough to keep trotting Borchard, Mike Jackson and others like them (who can't get the job done) out there without pressure from KW.

--Mrs. Aloha

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
07-30-2004, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=Foulke You]
4. Joe Borchard is overmatched by MLB pitching. Do not play him simply because he can hit right handed. An out is an out regardless of which batters box they are in. At least Timo Perez or Ross Gload will be a threat to get a hit. The stakes are too high to pin your hopes on a rookie.

5. Don't let Shingo pitch more than 1 inning a game. Bad things seem to happen when he is stretched longer than 1 inning.

7. Sit Joe Crede down for a couple games. Sometimes players will respond if they think their jobs are in jeopardy. His defense hasn't been stellar enough recently to keep him in for his glove. It might wake him up.

I couldnt agree with the borchard idea more. i dont see why he is even up, except for maybe an emergency replacement. i dont see why everyone expects him to do so well and be so great. he was only batting like .262 in AAA, that is not that good at all to me. if u are only batting that in AAA what can u be expected to do in the big leagues.

Yes, shingo is a one inning man and that is it. he is nearly unstoppable in one inning of work, but when he gets stretched into multiple innings he gets into some trouble.

Crede has been a huge disapointment, especially lately. his batting is horrific, his swing is soooooooooo long. and his fielding has been way sub-par, especially lately.