PDA

View Full Version : Who was the last Sox top prospect?

Foulke29
07-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Why is it that every other team seems to have their top prospects actually do something? Who was our last to actually come up and perform for the Sox?

Garland?

Lee?

Thomas?

Ventura?

Ordonez was not considered a 'top prospect' was he?

OG4LIFE
07-30-2004, 10:51 AM
adkins and cotts both came from oakland but spent about a season in our system before making a difference on the big league club.

no, we did not draft them, and i think what you're asking is who have we drafted that has come up and make a diff, right? and what do you mean by making an impact? a quasi everyday player like rowand? superstar like maggs?

Foulke29
07-30-2004, 11:00 AM
adkins and cotts both came from oakland but spent about a season in our system before making a difference on the big league club.

no, we did not draft them, and i think what you're asking is who have we drafted that has come up and make a diff, right? and what do you mean by making an impact? a quasi everyday player like rowand? superstar like maggs?
I mean come up and play every day, but what I am asking is - who has been on our 'top prospect' list that made it? Buerhle was a late round pickup as was Rowand; but more importantly, they never really hit or pitched HUGE in the minors. Who was an early round/top prospect draft pick that actually made it?

Evman5
07-30-2004, 11:03 AM
I mean come up and play every day, but what I am asking is - who has been on our 'top prospect' list that made it? Buerhle was a late round pickup as was Rowand; but more importantly, they never really hit or pitched HUGE in the minors. Who was an early round/top prospect draft pick that actually made it?

Actually I am prettry sure Aaron Rowand was a second round draft pick. He definetly gets my vote as most successful top prospect recently.

fledgedrallycap
07-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Probably Joe Crede.

Foulke29
07-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Actually I am prettry sure Aaron Rowand was a second round draft pick. He definetly gets my vote as most successful top prospect recently.
I did not realize Rowand went that high.

Foulke29
07-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Probably Joe Crede.
Duh - I completely forgot about that one. Opps. Good call.

Evman5
07-30-2004, 11:06 AM
I think he would get more respect if more people new that. I am a huge Rowand fan and think he is one of our best players.

Foulke29
07-30-2004, 11:07 AM
I think he would get more respect if more people new that. I am a huge Rowand fan and think he is one of our best players.
Imagine how he'd be doing if he hadn't been dirtbiking prior to last season.

Evman5
07-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Imagine how he'd be doing if he hadn't been dirtbiking prior to last season.
Yah I know, I wish we had a team full of Rowands.

To be exact:
Draft: 1998 - Sandwich Pick by the Chicago White Sox

lowesox
07-30-2004, 11:32 AM
To be fair to the sox, I can't remember the last time they had a really high draft pick.

jeremyb1
07-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Depends on how you're defining "top prospect". As was mentioned, Rowand was a sandwich pick in between the first two rounds several years back. Buehrle was a late round pick but he was widely considered one of the best 6 or 8 prospects in the organization in '00. Most of the top guys that advanced to the high minors the past few seasons (Reed, Rauch, Ring, Ginter, Olivo etc) have been traded with the exception of Borchard, Diaz, and Crede. We'll have to wait for one of those guys to break through or wait until Brian Anderson is ready most likely.

Randar68
07-30-2004, 01:12 PM
To be fair to the sox, I can't remember the last time they had a really high draft pick.
The Sox have gone the longest of any team in baseball without a top 10 pick.

According to BA's list, here are the last set of "top Prospects"

Roberto Hernandez, rhp

Jason Bere, rhp

James Baldwin, rhp

Scott Ruffcorn, rhp

Chris Snopek, ss/3b

Mike Cameron, of

Mike Caruso, ss

1999 (http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/leagues/mlb/whitesox/99top10.html)

Carlos Lee, 3b

2000 (http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/leagues/mlb/whitesox/00top10.html)

Kip Wells, rhp

2001 (http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/leagues/mlb/whitesox/01top10.html)

Jon Rauch, rhp

2002 (http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/leagues/mlb/whitesox/02top10.html)

Joe Borchard, of

2003 (http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/leagues/mlb/whitesox/03top10.html)

Joe Borchard, of

2004 (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/03top10s/whitesox.html)

Jeremy Reed, of

Soxzilla
07-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Ugh...Jason Bere gives me nightmares.

Foulke29
07-30-2004, 01:27 PM
Our nightmares are similar, but - Snopek - that worked out... *cringes*

Randar68
07-30-2004, 01:30 PM
Why? Bere was one of the top, if not THE top, young pitchers in baseball until he was injured.

Foulke29
07-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Why? Bere was one of the top, if not THE top, young pitchers in baseball until he was injured.
I don't believe in what Hawk and Wimpy used to call - effectively wild.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2004, 01:40 PM
In 1993 - 1994 Bere went 25-7 with an All Star appearance. He saved the Sox bacon in 93 because they had nobody consistently effective after McDowell, Fernandez and Alvarez.

He had three games with 13 or more strikeouts during that time. He was a power pitcher who could have been another Roger Clemens.

Unfortunately he got hurt...typical White Sox.

Lip

BLRMKRdave
07-30-2004, 02:00 PM
What round selection was Jeff Abbott? Didn't he tear up in Minor League ball only to be a bust in ChiTown?

Randar68
07-30-2004, 02:12 PM
What round selection was Jeff Abbott? Didn't he tear up in Minor League ball only to be a bust in ChiTown?
here is Abbott's career stats.
http://www.sports-wired.com/players/profile.asp?ID=1322

Randar68
07-30-2004, 02:16 PM
In 1993 - 1994 Bere went 25-7 with an All Star appearance. He saved the Sox bacon in 93 because they had nobody consistently effective after McDowell, Fernandez and Alvarez.

He had three games with 13 or more strikeouts during that time. He was a power pitcher who could have been another Roger Clemens.

Unfortunately he got hurt...typical White Sox.

Lip
After Bere's injury, he never had that little zip on the end of his fastball. Hitters described it as one of those fastballs that seems to get faster the closer it got to the plate. He could throw his 2-seamers, but he had a 4-seamer that he snapped so hard, it would appear to rise the last couple feet...

He was a great, great prospect, quite a shame...

Brian26
07-30-2004, 02:25 PM

And he pitched his ass off in the '93 playoffs and I believe even got us a victory (when Black Jack was getting lit up like a christmas tree in the same series). I don't have any problems with Bere.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Actually Bere was knocked out early in game #4, the win went to Tim Belcher. It was Bere's only start.

Cito Gaston said a few years later that McDowell and Fernandez were tipping their pitches. Was Cito lying? Don't know but Jack and Alex were 0-4 in the six game series. (Although Fernandez pitched his ass off...)

Lip

soxwon
07-30-2004, 11:42 PM
maggs no question

Randar68
07-31-2004, 12:35 AM
Actually Bere was knocked out early in game #4, the win went to Tim Belcher. It was Bere's only start.

Cito Gaston said a few years later that McDowell and Fernandez were tipping their pitches. Was Cito lying? Don't know but Jack and Alex were 0-4 in the six game series. (Although Fernandez pitched his ass off...)

Lip
It was proven that BlackJack was indeed tipping his pitches, something he had to correct the subsequent year when it got back to him. Watching him, after his terrific season throw, it certainly appeared the Jays knew exactly what was comings. IIRC, it was the way he cocked his glove or wrist as he gripped the ball.

I don't know about Alex, though...

OurBitchinMinny
07-31-2004, 02:08 AM
which is why we suck and our fading fast. He has improved, but he shouldnt be one of the sox best hitters. It shows how bad our offense is

owensmouth
07-31-2004, 02:52 AM
maggs no question
Easily the best overall player that the Sox have developed in the last ten years. However, Maggs wasn't drafted, as that's limited to US players. Magglio, like Carlos, was recruited and signed.