PDA

View Full Version : Steve Phillips ESPN This Morning...

ChiSoxBobette
07-30-2004, 07:04 AM
Listening to Mike & Mike in the morning they had Steve Phillips on the former GM for the Mets and he said the White Sox without Frank Thomas & Magglio Ordonez are done. He went onto to say that the White Sox would have to play good defense & pitching and they are'nt built to do this especially defense. He also said that he thought that the Sox would finish in 3rd place behind Cleveland and that if the Indians had a closer from the start of the year they would be in 1st place. After watching the disaster at US Cell. with the twins I'd have to say I agree with him. And if its true what everyone is saying about the Sox trying to help the mets get Benson so the twins don't Phillips said he does'nt even think the Sox are interested in getting anyone back in the 3 way deal so that means we would loose a prospect so the twins don't get benson and we could end up finishing in 3rd place. What has gone wrong with this team? I think its time JR sold this team to someone who wants to go to a Worlds Series. What a sad ending to what looked like a promising season.

Kilroy
07-30-2004, 07:30 AM
Listening to Mike & Mike in the morning they had Steve Phillips on the former GM for the Mets and he said the White Sox without Frank Thomas & Magglio Ordonez are done. He went onto to say that the White Sox would have to play good defense & pitching and they are'nt built to do this especially defense. He also said that he thought that the Sox would finish in 3rd place behind Cleveland and that if the Indians had a closer from the start of the year they would be in 1st place. After watching the disaster at US Cell. with the twins I'd have to say I agree with him. And if its true what everyone is saying about the Sox trying to help the mets get Benson so the twins don't Phillips said he does'nt even think the Sox are interested in getting anyone back in the 3 way deal so that means we would loose a prospect so the twins don't get benson and we could end up finishing in 3rd place. What has gone wrong with this team? I think its time JR sold this team to someone who wants to go to a Worlds Series. What a sad ending to what looked like a promising season.
Steve Phillips is an idiot, and you seem to be his lemming. The problem with the Sox right now is that Thomas and Ordonez are hurt and somehow you turn that into JR doesn't want to win and should sell the team? If you can come up with a trade that replaces the missing production, name it. A real one, not one of those Cubbie-crack trades.

The Twins just beat us three straight, but its not like the Sox are 15 games back. Keeping them from improving is a roundabout way of improving the Sox.

The only thing wrong with the Sox right now, not speaking about injury, is that they don't seem to want to hit. Too many guys looking for the big hit instead of getting the job done. That and Valentin has singlehandedly cost the Sox 2 games all by himself.

If this Sox team can get its **** together, they still have time to win the division. The Twins play twice as many games as the Sox do against contenders the rest of the way. And we still have a few more games against them. If we're lucky, and I know we're not, we could have Thomas or Maggs back by then. Maybe even both.

owensmouth
07-30-2004, 07:30 AM
Forget it. If JR and company sell the Sox, it'll be to the highest bidder. Someone with that kind of money is not going to throw cash away. Just more of the same.

dickallen15
07-30-2004, 07:32 AM
Listening to Mike & Mike in the morning they had Steve Phillips on the former GM for the Mets and he said the White Sox without Frank Thomas & Magglio Ordonez are done. He went onto to say that the White Sox would have to play good defense & pitching and they are'nt built to do this especially defense. He also said that he thought that the Sox would finish in 3rd place behind Cleveland and that if the Indians had a closer from the start of the year they would be in 1st place. After watching the disaster at US Cell. with the twins I'd have to say I agree with him. And if its true what everyone is saying about the Sox trying to help the mets get Benson so the twins don't Phillips said he does'nt even think the Sox are interested in getting anyone back in the 3 way deal so that means we would loose a prospect so the twins don't get benson and we could end up finishing in 3rd place. What has gone wrong with this team? I think its time JR sold this team to someone who wants to go to a Worlds Series. What a sad ending to what looked like a promising season.If Steve Phillips was so smart, he'd still be GM of the Mets. He's a dope. With over $100 million to play with, he built the Mets. That says a lot. His opinion means nothing. Nada. Zip.

ChiSoxBobette
07-30-2004, 07:54 AM
Steve Phillips is an idiot, and you seem to be his lemming. The problem with the Sox right now is that Thomas and Ordonez are hurt and somehow you turn that into JR doesn't want to win and should sell the team? If you can come up with a trade that replaces the missing production, name it. A real one, not one of those Cubbie-crack trades.

The Twins just beat us three straight, but its not like the Sox are 15 games back. Keeping them from improving is a roundabout way of improving the Sox.

The only thing wrong with the Sox right now, not speaking about injury, is that they don't seem to want to hit. Too many guys looking for the big hit instead of getting the job done. That and Valentin has singlehandedly cost the Sox 2 games all by himself.

If this Sox team can get its **** together, they still have time to win the division. The Twins play twice as many games as the Sox do against contenders the rest of the way. And we still have a few more games against them. If we're lucky, and I know we're not, we could have Thomas or Maggs back by then. Maybe even both.
Yeah right I'm Phillips lemming , heres a team the White Sox who are willing to trade a prosect away to keep a pitcher away from the twins ,GREAT MOVE!The White Sox have more to worry about that being the Cleveland Indians who are playing the royals, we loose a couple of more games and we won't have to woory about catching the twins anymore. Lets face it too many of those guys looking for the big hit can't hit - Harris, Perez,Gload, Crede, Uribe. As far as the twins facing twice as many contenders as we do, I heard the same thing last year and the twins took care of buisness we on the otherhand did'nt, don't and probably won't. And as for JR ,you explain to me why if he wants to win we always start the season with all these questions that as everyone know he will answer as the season gos on if the White Sox are competative. An owner who wants his team to get to the World Series addresses the needs of his team before the season starts and then adds to it to make it a better team. Anyone who thinks that this team as it is, without Frank & Maggs, can overtake the twins and as for next year if we loose Maggs and we don't address that with a top of the line free agent for next year then with the way the tigers & indians are playing and with the good young players they have and our depleated minor league system next year could be 4th place.

nccwsfan
07-30-2004, 08:08 AM
There's a story in today's Daily Herald that says the White Sox will acquire Cliff Floyd in the 3 way trade. The White Sox will then ship A ball prospect Ryan Sweeney to the Pirates, and the Pirates will send Kris Benson to the Mets.

yeboredsox
07-30-2004, 08:08 AM
Benson on the Whitesox < Benson NOT on the Twins

wdelaney72
07-30-2004, 08:14 AM
I would agree with Steve Phillips if the Twins didn't have such a tough schedule in the second half. Keep in mind, we still have six games with the Twins and the Twins have yet to play the Yankees (which is their equivalant to us and the A's).

I'm not saying the Sox are going to go to the world series. But KW is not done. The Sox will acquire a big name player or two before the weekend is over. If in the process he also gives up a prospect to keep the Twins from getting Benson, I'm for it.

Remember, Maggs could still make it back for the playoffs.

KW is not going to give up, nor should he. It's far from over.

chisoxt
07-30-2004, 05:06 PM
Yeah right I'm Phillips lemming , heres a team the White Sox who are willing to trade a prosect away to keep a pitcher away from the twins ,GREAT MOVE!The White Sox have more to worry about that being the Cleveland Indians who are playing the royals, we loose a couple of more games and we won't have to woory about catching the twins anymore. Lets face it too many of those guys looking for the big hit can't hit - Harris, Perez,Gload, Crede, Uribe. As far as the twins facing twice as many contenders as we do, I heard the same thing last year and the twins took care of buisness we on the otherhand did'nt, don't and probably won't. And as for JR ,you explain to me why if he wants to win we always start the season with all these questions that as everyone know he will answer as the season gos on if the White Sox are competative. An owner who wants his team to get to the World Series addresses the needs of his team before the season starts and then adds to it to make it a better team. Anyone who thinks that this team as it is, without Frank & Maggs, can overtake the twins and as for next year if we loose Maggs and we don't address that with a top of the line free agent for next year then with the way the tigers & indians are playing and with the good young players they have and our depleated minor league system next year could be 4th place.I'm with you. There are so many fans who can't be objective to save their own lives. Recall during the off-season how many fans were irate that Williams and Reinsdorf did nothing to improve this team. They did nothing to improve the bench, nothing to improve the starting rotation, instead banking on Willie Harris and Danny Wright. And the fans on this board were irate...for good reason. Now, fast forward to July and everybody is in shock that we're not in first place and are about to be overtaken by Cleveland. What is absurd is that in April or May JR gives Kenny the permission to do whatever it takes to "Go for it". How fricken stupid is that??? The time to have gone for it would have been the off-season when there were tons of guys (free agents) available who could have helped this team, especially now with Frank and Maggs out. And those guys would not have costs us a terrific cather and prospects.

I admire Kenny's passion. if we all could be so passionate in our jobs the way he is. The guy really tries hard and I admire him for that, but the guy is not a good general manager. You do not pick up rent a players in exchange for younger ones and realize long term success. Before anybody criticizes me for this statement, please cite one exampole of when this has worked.

OzzieBall2004
07-30-2004, 05:52 PM
This thread sucks. Big deal what Phillips said. Plain and simple, he wouldnt have made these comments last Friday. A week has made a whole hell of a lot of opinions change, and maybe it's better to not be the hands down favorite to win the central. We now have something to prove, and I'll be damned if i'm gonna lose the faith just some jerkoff former GM said so. His Indians prediciton is nothing new either...Yeah theyve blown a lot of saves, and if those were all wins they'd be in first. But they arent, and we arent either, so I dont give two $hits about the Injuns.

RKMeibalane
07-30-2004, 06:34 PM
I'm tired of reading threads like this. We know the Sox have problems. We know that they are in danger of falling into third place. However, we also know that there is chance they will get things going again, and climb back to first. Don't give up hope!

Kilroy
07-30-2004, 07:50 PM
What is absurd is that in April or May JR gives Kenny the permission to do whatever it takes to "Go for it". How fricken stupid is that??? The time to have gone for it would have been the off-season when there were tons of guys (free agents) available who could have helped this team, especially now with Frank and Maggs out. And those guys would not have costs us a terrific cather and prospects.
Lemme see... you're saying that Kenny should have signed FA's that could step in for injured Frank and Maggs? Kenny should have planned for both his big hitters to be hurt? And who would he have signed? You may have a shorter memory than you say others around here do, because you obviously don't remember that going into the season, the big question mark was the pitching. Shingo was unproven, we lost Gordon, and we didn't have a full 5 man rotation. Centerfield was a bit of a question, but not nearly anything like who would be our 5th starter.

Oh, and an example of when a rent a player worked? How about Kenny Lofton? Started the season w/ Pittsburgh, traded to the Cubs and has been credited w/ jumpstarting the Cubs.

Hangar18
07-30-2004, 08:02 PM
Oh, and an example of when a rent a player worked? How about Kenny Lofton? Started the season w/ Pittsburgh, traded to the Cubs and has been credited w/ jumpstarting the Cubs.
Correction: Kenny Lofton was GIVEN to the Cubs. All the Pirates have to show for Giving away Ramirez/Lofton/Simon is Bobby Hill. Thats why that
team is going to STINK for years to come.

Kilroy
07-30-2004, 11:40 PM
Correction: Kenny Lofton was GIVEN to the Cubs. All the Pirates have to show for Giving away Ramirez/Lofton/Simon is Bobby Hill. Thats why that
team is going to STINK for years to come.
Given, traded, whatever. It was rent a player, and it worked for them.

flo-B-flo
07-31-2004, 01:14 PM
:wink: We know the Sox have problems. We know that they are in danger of falling into third place. However, we also know that there is chance they will get things going again, and climb back to first. Don't give up hope! This is where I am. There are still a lot of games left. A lot of optimism and pessimism too. Oh and I'll NEVER lose hope.