PDA

View Full Version : When will the Sox regain 1st place?

StrTrkker
07-29-2004, 11:54 PM
So...

With 2 months or so left in the 2004 season. Whats everyones prediction when the Sox will regain 1st place?

I think myself it will be around August 14th. No stats...no trends...just a gut feeling. Will they stay there...hard to tell but I do think at one point in the season they will make up 4 games and catch Minnesota.

pearso66
07-29-2004, 11:56 PM
I agree we will catch them. We are just on one of the cold streaks again. We will eventualy catch fire, the only problem is if we are cold in the playoffs, or at the end of the seaosn, we are dead.

Soxzilla
07-30-2004, 12:06 AM
I think we are due for a LONG win streak. Personally I'm feeling a nice 14 game win streak. Starting tommorow.....or rather, today.:D:

gosox3072
07-30-2004, 12:21 AM
We will catch the Twins on about Aug. 30. Frank will (hopefully) be back by that time.

milrtyme28
07-30-2004, 12:31 AM
man - sure hope so - this latest round of corpseball had been painful to watch. I hope the baserunning mistakes and fielding bloopers come to an end sooner rather than later - :(: :(: :(:

JB98
07-30-2004, 12:34 AM
We will catch the Twins on about Aug. 30. Frank will (hopefully) be back by that time.
I don't think we'll catch them until September, if at all. Right now, we have to worry about righting this ship. We just need to keep it close for the next month or so. We don't play the Twins again until 9/14. That's about the target date for Frank's return. The only thing that's keeping me going right now is the thought that he or Magglio could return in time to help us pull this out at the end. We aren't going to win this thing in August with a depleted lineup. I do think we are capable of keeping ourselves in position to win, especially with the schedule set in our favor. Realistically, though, we will need one of the two big boys back to beat the Twins in those six September games. That's what it will come down to.

Iwritecode
07-30-2004, 12:36 AM
I think myself it will be around August 14th.
My daughter's birthday. Good choice. :D:

doublem23
07-30-2004, 12:55 AM
August 27

cbrownson13
07-30-2004, 12:58 AM
April

No, the old adage is a game a week. That puts us at the end of August.

Nellie_Fox
07-30-2004, 01:14 AM
Not this year. Sorry, but I just don't think this team can do it without Frank and Maggs, and they have nobody left for trades to get somebody to help.

ChiSoxBobette
07-30-2004, 06:27 AM
So...

With 2 months or so left in the 2004 season. Whats everyones prediction when the Sox will regain 1st place?

I think myself it will be around August 14th. No stats...no trends...just a gut feeling. Will they stay there...hard to tell but I do think at one point in the season they will make up 4 games and catch Minnesota.
the year 2010

ondafarm
07-30-2004, 06:31 AM
August 27
The ex-wife's birthday. No way!!!!:dtroll:

ChiSoxBobette
07-30-2004, 06:36 AM
So...

The White Sox after last night are only 1 and a half games in front of Cleveland & the indians have as many wins as we do now 52 so I think theres a better chance that by the time the Sox get back home they'll be in 3rd place with Cleveland playing the royals this weekend.

ode to veeck
07-30-2004, 08:43 AM
Labor Day weekend they cruise back into 1st, and then Maggs arrives back as DH to get them through the Sept pennant run as the swelling in his tibula subsides. Frank rejoins the team for the playoffs and Maggs returns to RF.

Dan H
07-30-2004, 09:33 AM
I don't think fans can count on Maggs and Thomas coming back. Even if they do, it will take at least a few games for them to get back into the swing of things. The team is in trouble, big trouble.

Foulke29
07-30-2004, 09:34 AM
No offense, but you mean this year right? :smile:

God - I wish I were that optimistic - and hope that I'm wrong.

OEO Magglio
07-30-2004, 09:34 AM
I've already said it, within two weeks.

Whitesox029
07-30-2004, 09:43 AM
2007. For one day.

Whitesox029
07-30-2004, 09:44 AM
Labor Day weekend they cruise back into 1st, and then Maggs arrives back as DH to get them through the Sept pennant run as the swelling in his tibula subsides. Frank rejoins the team for the playoffs and Maggs returns to RF.I wish.

LongLiveFisk
07-30-2004, 09:51 AM
The ex-wife's birthday. No way!!!!:dtroll:
I thought men didn't remember birthdays...or anniversaries....:tongue:

Procol Harum
07-30-2004, 10:11 AM
Yep, try the beginning of the 2005 season at 0-0. This team hasn't been able to get it done the last three years and were a question mark even when they had Frank and Maggs. As Nellie said, we don't have enough to trade with at this point to even come close to making up for their lost production. Sorry, fellow long-suffering Sox fans--barring some sort of miracles (the return of the 2003 Esteban Loaiza, Joe Crede hitting .385 and clubbing 20 homers between now and Labor Day, Konerko and Lee not hitting into a single dp in August, Burke and Davis hitting a combined .225, and Jose catching a ball every now and then), I'm afraid we're all gonna grow another year older with no pennant on the South Side. The sooner you get used to the idea the better your autumn will be.

Foulke29
07-30-2004, 10:18 AM
I'm afraid we're all gonna grow another year older with no pennant on the South Side. The sooner you get used to the idea the better your autumn will be.
Didn't Dr. Jack Kevorkian use this to sell the use of his euthenasia machine?

Ya know what, I proof read a paper for someone in a history class focusing on the last twenty years (took the class in '92), and I'm not joking - the person spelled it youthinasia... :whiner: Good ole IVCC.

Chek2002
07-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Next year. We will probably not be chasing Minnesota thought it should be Cleveland.

lowesox
07-30-2004, 10:43 AM
This team has been nothing but a .500 team over the last 50 games. If they're going to do anything, it's going to be because their manager does something crazy to light a fire under their asses.

Personally, I think Ozzie made a HUGE mistake in the Minnesota series. By letting the Hunter incident slide, the White Sox basically let the Twins know who's boss.

And to think, we thought we sent them a message by winning a few games in their ballpark.

I think that'll be this year's turning point.

SOXSINCE'70
07-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Not this year.45 years without a WS and counting.This time the excuse will be injuries to the #3 and 4 hitters in the lineup.Prove me wrong,KW.
Problem is,I don't think you can.And my faith is crumbling faster than the upper deck at the Urinal.:(: :(: :(:

34 years a Sox fan,and this is the thanks I get.

Foulke29
07-30-2004, 10:57 AM
This team has been nothing but a .500 team over the last 50 games. If they're going to do anything, it's going to be because their manager does something crazy to light a fire under their asses.

Personally, I think Ozzie made a HUGE mistake in the Minnesota series. By letting the Hunter incident slide, the White Sox basically let the Twins know who's boss.

And to think, we thought we sent them a message by winning a few games in their ballpark.

I think that'll be this year's turning point.
You know, the last time our Sox have had any spunk was after that Detroit series in which both benches and the bullpens cleared - day before Easter 2000 if I remember. As much as I am against violence, when Hunter hit Burke, Guillen should have tried to provoke/pick a fight with the Twinkies.

Why do you think Varitek shoved A-Rod? The BoSox know they need to light that fire. Guillen should know it too. We should have either slid into second spikes high or sent a fast ball into the back of Hunter - as much as I hate to say it - there's nothing like a common enemy that makes you bleed to get your blood pumping!

SoxxoS
07-30-2004, 10:59 AM
I don't care about the Hunter thing...the turning point for me was the Ordonez/Thomas injuries...obviously.

I don't think everyone realized how much those two meant to the team. Losing one is replaceable, losing both is an irreplaceable task.

Add to that the fact we have too many automatic outs in the lineup (Crede, Uribe, Harris, Davis, Valentin (lately)) we have a problem.

kittle42
07-30-2004, 11:08 AM
On the first day of the season, everyone is in first. :smile:

LASOXFAN
07-30-2004, 11:09 AM
as soon as we stop averaging 2.4 runs per game as we have for the last 5

jshanahanjr
07-30-2004, 11:32 AM
Just get a split in Mo-Town and 2 out of 3 in KC. The Sox need to hang in there and then beat the crap out of the Twin come September.

pudge
07-30-2004, 11:40 AM
let's put it this way: We Gone.

Whitesox029
07-30-2004, 10:54 PM
April

No, the old adage is a game a week. That puts us at the end of August.That is, if we're not losing a game a week.

Nick@Nite
07-30-2004, 11:11 PM
3 October, 2004.

oheeoh...magglio
07-31-2004, 12:20 AM
Sometime in April of 2005......

OurBitchinMinny
07-31-2004, 01:07 AM
I hope Im wrong, but the sox will not be in first place for a few years (unless kenny pulls of a miracle at the deadline). The twins are a better team when the sox are w/o thomas and maggs. Subtract about 80 HRS and 200+ rbis from any team and they will struggle. And the sox only have 2 and a half good starters (you never know what you will get from garland). Cleveland is poised to become the twins new rival, unless the twins blow it up, but they have a solid farm too. We have a crappy farm system, at least at the top levels, which evidenced by the crap we keep pulling out of it(i.e. Joe Borchard). The sox have to capitalize on the twins tough schedule. I was at the twinkie game tonight and boston destroyed them. But the sox cant keep losing to detroit!!!I know they are improved, but they shouldnt be better than the sox

JB98
07-31-2004, 01:36 AM
I hope Im wrong, but the sox will not be in first place for a few years (unless kenny pulls of a miracle at the deadline). The twins are a better team when the sox are w/o thomas and maggs. Subtract about 80 HRS and 200+ rbis from any team and they will struggle. And the sox only have 2 and a half good starters (you never know what you will get from garland). Cleveland is poised to become the twins new rival, unless the twins blow it up, but they have a solid farm too. We have a crappy farm system, at least at the top levels, which evidenced by the crap we keep pulling out of it(i.e. Joe Borchard). The sox have to capitalize on the twins tough schedule. I was at the twinkie game tonight and boston destroyed them. But the sox cant keep losing to detroit!!!I know they are improved, but they shouldnt be better than the sox
I could make a case for the Detroit lineup being better than the Sox right now. At least they have a couple tablesetters at the top.

We need to acquire Jerry Hairston, Jr.

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2004, 02:03 AM
Labor Day weekend they cruise back into 1st, and then Maggs arrives back as DH to get them through the Sept pennant run as the swelling in his tibula subsides. Frank rejoins the team for the playoffs and Maggs returns to RF.The lower leg has two major bones; the tibia and the fibula. There is no tibula.

Blob
07-31-2004, 11:27 AM
The week of Aug 23rd.

pczarapa
07-31-2004, 11:31 AM
Probably April of '05

Frankfan4life
07-31-2004, 12:24 PM
Not this year. Sorry, but I just don't think this team can do it without Frank and Maggs, and they have nobody left for trades to get somebody to help.I'm going to have to agree with you only because I'm usually wrong when making positive predictions about this team.

habibharu
07-31-2004, 12:29 PM
This team may regain 1st place, and squeak into the playoffs, but they will not win anything! I have said it before and i will continue to say it, this team WILL NOT WIN ANYTHING until the core of this team is broken up( valentin, maggs, frank,crede,lee,konerko) we have had this same core of guys for 5 yrs and havent won anything! we have to change the philosophy of this team. im not saying that we should trade all of those guys for prospects. keep a couple of them, maybe lee and frank, let maggs go, unless he takes a huge paycut, trade PK for the kind of players that Ozzie wants, trade crede for whatever, let ozzie start over with a somewhat new team of his type of players!

Procol Harum
07-31-2004, 12:51 PM
I'm going to have to agree with you only because I'm usually wrong when making positive predictions about this team.
Don't feel bad FF4Life, almost everybody has been wrong for the last 45 years when they make positive predictions about this team.... :(:

DaveIsHere
07-31-2004, 02:10 PM
This team may regain 1st place, and squeak into the playoffs, but they will not win anything! I have said it before and i will continue to say it, this team WILL NOT WIN ANYTHING until the core of this team is broken up( valentin, maggs, frank,crede,lee,konerko) we have had this same core of guys for 5 yrs and havent won anything! we have to change the philosophy of this team. im not saying that we should trade all of those guys for prospects. keep a couple of them, maybe lee and frank, let maggs go, unless he takes a huge paycut, trade PK for the kind of players that Ozzie wants, trade crede for whatever, let ozzie start over with a somewhat new team of his type of players!:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: