PDA

View Full Version : Bench Jose!

Bruck35
07-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Is it time to put Jose on the shelf for a little bit? I'm writing this hoping he'll only cost the Sox 1 run this game and not effect the outcome...though that's looking very likely at this point. Would sitting him down for a few games or a week help him and maybe the Sox too? Or is there something else that needs to be done, maybe something more drastic?

Or should we just keep sending him out there with his average dipping and defense turning into brant brown?

duke of dorwood
07-29-2004, 09:22 PM
For who?

Bruck35
07-29-2004, 09:32 PM
For who?
Good question... maybe Uribe at SS and Harris at 2nd? Obviously Uribe's defense is a big step up, and offensively, that's a pretty close call.

What do you think? Should they trade for someone, move the infield around or keep it as-is?

Nard
07-29-2004, 09:49 PM
Willie 2B, Uribe SS.

This **** is just sickening.

It's one thing if the bats are collectively sucking.

But we're still in this game if Jose doesn't **** up that busch league DP ball.

owensmouth
07-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Uribe is useless. Jose isn't much better. Willie at least got on base twice. For the third day in a row our "gold glove" third baseman screwed up on defense.

RKMeibalane
07-29-2004, 09:59 PM
MORON ----------------------------------> :manos

WSox8404
07-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Hey Jose, you still wanna talk contract in the middle of the year? Jagbag.

RKMeibalane
07-29-2004, 10:06 PM
Valentin needs to go. I defended him last winter after the Sox re-signed him, but I now believe they made a mistake. The problem is that they don't have anyone else who can play SS at the moment. Uribe may start at short next season, but he isn't the answer right now.

And I don't want to hear anymore talk about Jose being a leader. The only thing he seems to be leading the team in right now is errors. I realize that he's doing the best he can, but his mental mistakes are costing the Sox games. The Sox still have an excellent chance to win the division, but they can't afford to throw games away like this.

misty60481
07-29-2004, 10:08 PM
How about bringing up Brian Nelson and put Uribe at short until Jose comes out of it we need Jose for rest of year, he is a real clutch hitter when hes on. Nelson has 17 homers and 67 RBIs we need that send Willie Harris down he is not major league ballplayer...

DickAllen72
07-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Jose is the epitome of this White Sox team; too streaky, strikes out too much, home run or nothing, errors at the worst possible time.

He's had some real great moments for the Sox but it's time to go in a different direction. It's time to sit Jose down or trade him if possible.

RKMeibalane
07-29-2004, 10:10 PM
How about bringing up Brian Nelson and put Uribe at short until Jose comes out of it we need Jose for rest of year, he is a real clutch hitter when hes on. Nelson has 17 homers and 67 RBIs we need that send Willie Harris down he is not major league ballplayer...
The Sox have too many holes right now. The last thing they need to be doing is brining up players from Triple A to start. Nelson will get his chance in September, or next Spring in Arizona. He doesn't need to be with the team right now, however.

idseer
07-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Valentin needs to go. I defended him last winter after the Sox re-signed him, but I now believe they made a mistake. The problem is that they don't have anyone else who can play SS at the moment. Uribe may start at short next season, but he isn't the answer right now.

And I don't want to hear anymore talk about Jose being a leader. The only thing he seems to be leading the team in right now is errors. I realize that he's doing the best he can, but his mental mistakes are costing the Sox games. The Sox still have an excellent chance to win the division, but they can't afford to throw games away like this.
i know everyone is really down on uribe at this moment in time, but i believe he's the better choice for now and in the future. i know he's in a bad slump but, put him at ss and leave him there. he'll undoubtedly be an immediate improvement in the field and he'll out hit jose. he won't have quite the powere but that doesn't bother me too much .... but he DOES have some power.

Lip Man 1
07-29-2004, 10:24 PM
Bob Vanderberg was at the game yesterday and we talked about it. The first thing he told me was 'the Sox don't have any middle infielders...'

Bob as you know has authored at least two Sox books and writes the historical stuff for the Tribune. That comment, coming from him, is meaningful.

Lip

Viva Magglio
07-29-2004, 10:43 PM
If José Valentín is in the starting lineup tomorrow, I will scream.

RKMeibalane
07-29-2004, 10:44 PM
Oh, he'll be out there. Just watch.

LongLiveFisk
07-29-2004, 10:53 PM
Start warming up those vocal chords.

fusillirob1983
07-30-2004, 12:27 AM
I don't know how Wilson Valdez's defense is, but isn't he hitting somewhere around .340 down at Triple A right now?

WikdChiSoxFan
07-30-2004, 12:46 AM
Jose = not so good

For the amount we're paying him and for the amount we're expecting from him...in my unproffesional opininion, willie and "hit a big-" juan are in. Crede can stay because of his youth and potential, (bummer year, what are you gonna do?) I like our team, (I miss Miguel, but I love Freddy), but we have too many starting infielders that are hurting the entire team. (I wouldn't mind so much, but with Frank and Maggs gone, who is to say that we don't need another solid bat in the lineup? Frank and Maggs can hit anybody, everyone else is inconsistant. Trade for hits with a big emphasis on clutch and power. Did anyone say Boone?)

(Give Jon G the ball, he's got solid potential...potential that may be reached this year and/or postseason!)

Get a starting 7 and then we'll talk postseason. The rest is just money better spent on beer.

But what do I know? I listen to SAP!

jenmcm76
07-30-2004, 02:46 PM
I don't care if you're a team leader, or a big home-run hitter, or the MVP of the team... When you make 2 bonehead mistakes that cost the team the game, and then make a stupid error the very next day that costs the team that game, you should ride the bench until your head can be successfully removed from your ass! No way should any manager tolerate these kind of brain-farts on a day-to-day basis. Ozzie needs to send a message - keep your head in the game, or don't play.

JRIG
07-30-2004, 02:49 PM
I don't know how Wilson Valdez's defense is, but isn't he hitting somewhere around .340 down at Triple A right now?
Valdez has less power than Willie Harris. If you like groundouts to the second baseman, he's your man.

oldcomiskey
07-31-2004, 08:39 AM
if we need to bench Jose we need to just shoot Borchard and Harris