PDA

View Full Version : Note to KW: Save Our Sox

balboner
07-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Now, most people think that this thread was going to beg KW to make a trade to help the team out. However, it's this Sox fans opinion that the best move KW could make for this franchise is to not trade away anymore of our upper echelon prospects to compete in a battle against the Twins in which there are just too many holes to fill against a team with superior talent in almost every aspect. Instead of forcing the Sox to take on a contract next year that will hamper signing players to fill different positioins (like Preston Wilson), save the money and resources to sign players in the offseason that will fill the holes for the years to come. We're going to have to spend some money to get a decent SS, with Uribe looking like he will be a utility player for the time to come. I'm not saying we should do White Flag II, but I just want KW to be wise in his decisions.

idseer
07-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Now, most people think that this thread was going to beg KW to make a trade to help the team out. However, it's this Sox fans opinion that the best move KW could make for this franchise is to not trade away anymore of our upper echelon prospects to compete in a battle against the Twins in which there are just too many holes to fill against a team with superior talent in almost every aspect. Instead of forcing the Sox to take on a contract next year that will hamper signing players to fill different positioins (like Preston Wilson), save the money and resources to sign players in the offseason that will fill the holes for the years to come. We're going to have to spend some money to get a decent SS, with Uribe looking like he will be a utility player for the time to come. I'm not saying we should do White Flag II, but I just want KW to be wise in his decisions.
i think i agree. he made some bold moves but now he shouldn't get carried away unless something irresistable pops up.
i don't want to mortgage our future on such bad odds.

lowesox
07-29-2004, 10:09 PM
I see your points, because I think this season is starting to look like another waste too - but here's the thing: Maggs is going to leave at the end of the season - and let's face it, this team has been horrible since Maggs first went down to his injury.

Now, from a baseball standpoint, I think the smart move would be to hoist up the firesale sign, trade away anybody with value, then fire our GM. But since the fans have come out, and the players are leaving at the end of the year, and because hey, let's face it we don't really have a lot of good young players to build around anyway, we might as well go for it this year.

So I say, sell the farm KEnny. Go get every star you can - and give up any of our high minor prospects the other guys want. MAybe, it'll shift things and we'll start winning. But whether we do or we don't, the future is bleak anyway - so we might as well close our eyes and swing for the fences.

AnkleSox
07-29-2004, 10:14 PM
This is the year to go for it. If the sox keep their mediocre "top prospects" we're in for a long haul of sub-par baseball with no real chance for a good draft, plus this year we won't win anything.

If the sox get rid of their farm system for good players, there IS that chance they can win this year, and whether they do that or not, they'll be a terrible team with terrible players for a few years, but will have better luck in the draft. (ie the indians)

infohawk
07-29-2004, 10:14 PM
Let me begin by saying that I am not quite ready to give up on this team. That being said, I am extremely concerned about what is happening on the field.

Over the last couple of days I have anguished over whether the Sox should go for broke or go with what they have despite the obvious problems with the team. I'm not ready to write-off the season, but one conclusion is obvious and inescapable to most of us. The White Sox as presently constituted are flawed. If they can't hit three-run homers every night, they will have a difficult time winning with any consistency. This becomes even more apparent without Frank and Magglio in the line-up. Ozzie is trying to execute smallball, but just doesn't have the appropriate personnel for success.

On the bright side, Kenny will be in a position to lose some contracts during the offseason and use the money to get the kind of players that are more opportunistic in the way they play the game. In other words, the "grinders" he talks about. Knowing that Kenny has this option to "retool" (as distinct from "rebuild") the team during the offseason, I am concerned about any moves made at the trade deadline that might financially impede a successful retooling. In my opinion, any moves he might make by Saturday, assuming he makes any, should be moves that could help the Sox next year as well. So far, Freddy was such a move because they were able to sign him to an extension. Trading for Carl was also an intelligent move because he provides some cost-effective insurance in the event the Sox don't re-sign Magglio.

DickAllen72
07-29-2004, 10:15 PM

The only "upper echelon" prospect from our farm system Kenny gave up was Jeremy Reed.

KW has been wise and aggressive in his decisions up to this point, and I'm confident he will continue to be wise and aggressive.

balboner
07-29-2004, 10:16 PM
See, I disagree that the future looks bleak. The reason that the team is so bad right now is that 33 percent of the payroll is out for the season. We have a solid starting pitching nucleus next year w/Buehrle, Garcia, and Garland. We have Konerko, Lee, Rowand, and Crede back for sure next year. You use that money from Maggs, Valentin, and Loaiza and try to fill out the roster to fit Ozzie's style.

idseer
07-29-2004, 10:18 PM
The only "upper echelon" prospect from our farm system Kenny gave up was Jeremy Reed.

KW has been wise and aggressive in his decisions up to this point, and I'm confident he will continue to be wise and aggressive.
like him or not, rauch was also a top level prospect.

idseer
07-29-2004, 10:20 PM
See, I disagree that the future looks bleak. The reason that the team is so bad right now is that 33 percent of the payroll is out for the season. We have a solid starting pitching nucleus next year w/Buehrle, Garcia, and Garland. We have Konerko, Lee, Rowand, and Crede back for sure next year. You use that money from Maggs, Valentin, and Loaiza and try to fill out the roster to fit Ozzie's style.i am with you on that. rowand will be better (imo), crede will be better, garland will be better ....... that's not a bad nucleus. just a couple good additions and we're in next year's race.

plus thomas! :smile:

balboner
07-29-2004, 10:21 PM
How is this the year for the Sox? They're going to be without their two superstars likely for the rest of the season. They have only 2 starting pitchers that they can count on, and 2 relievers. Also, what makes you think that this isn't the year for the Twins? The Twins talent level this year is leaps and bounds higher than the Sox. They have 3 catchers on their team better than any of ours. I could see adding a player or two to the Sox to try and get over the hump. However, this current team needs like 5 or 6 players, in my opinion.Basically, KW can't let the bad luck of losing Frank and Maggs cloud his decision so much that he sets the franchise back for 5 or 10 years.

lowesox
07-29-2004, 11:02 PM
like him or not, rauch was also a top level prospect.
Yeah, and Olivo was better than a top-level prospect. He's a solid major-leaguer with huge upside.

And to whoever wrote we only gave up one guy - that guy is our highest rated prospect. SO that's not small potatoes.

poorme
07-29-2004, 11:09 PM
KW cannot change course now. Go for it.

DickAllen72
07-29-2004, 11:48 PM
Yeah, and Olivo was better than a top-level prospect. He's a solid major-leaguer with huge upside.

And to whoever wrote we only gave up one guy - that guy is our highest rated prospect. SO that's not small potatoes.

What I wrote was we only gave away one upper echelon prospect from our farm system(Reed).

True, Olivo and Reed are not small potatoes, but neither are Freddy Garcia and Carl Everett.

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2004, 11:54 PM
Work this low-cost, low-risk trade with Toronto to help with this year and the future: two or three pitching prospects for Gregg Zaun and Frank Catalanotto. These two guys can hit at the top of the order because they get on base. Cat is a FA after this year and Zaun is playing for a minimum contract. They will allow more RBI opportunities for Lee, Everett, Konerko and Valentin.

They can be re-signed for next year at relatively inexpensive prices.

joeynach
07-30-2004, 11:18 AM
This is the year to go for it. If the sox keep their mediocre "top prospects" we're in for a long haul of sub-par baseball with no real chance for a good draft, plus this year we won't win anything.

If the sox get rid of their farm system for good players, there IS that chance they can win this year, and whether they do that or not, they'll be a terrible team with terrible players for a few years, but will have better luck in the draft. (ie the indians)
Well there is a difference to what KW did last year and this year. Last year he brought in Colon, Gordon, Everett, Alomar, and Sullivan all on 1 year deals whose contracts were up at the end of 03. We traded for Garcia and Everett this year who both are at least signed through next year. As is Uribe. Maggs might be gone and i think its good KW is seeing borchard is not a real answer. With loiaza gone and probably valentin as well. KW should have a decent amount of $$ to sign good FA's. Look for him to try and get our own Torii Hunters and Shannon Stewarts.

lowesox
07-30-2004, 11:37 AM
KW should have a decent amount of $$ to sign good FA's.
I've got a bad feeling that money has already been spent on Garcia.

Ken
07-30-2004, 11:51 AM
If by some stretch we did get into the playoff, does anyone seriously think we have a playoff caliber team without Frank and Mags?? Even if they did come back by mid September, you can imagine how long it would take for either one to get back in the groove.

We just don't have a playoff level team with this year's key injuries. Frank and Mags had a high on base percentage and now we don't have the guys getting on to score the runs we need.

JR and KW have given up enough prospects already this year. They need to look ahead to a brighter, healthier, hopeful 2005 season with Frank and (maybe) Mags!

JDP
07-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Depending on just how much money is available and who the Sox can convince to play on the south side, there are numerous options for filling any conceivable holes for next year's club just on the FA market alone.

Rotation
Derek Lowe
Pedro Martinez
Brad Radke
Russ Ortiz
Carl Pavano
Odalis Perez
Eric Milton
Kevin Millwood
Kris Benson
Chris Carpenter
Matt Morris
Woody Williams

Third base
Troy Glaus
Corey Koskie
Adrian Beltre

Short Stop
Nomar Garciaparra
Omar Vizquel
Christian Guzman
Orlando Cabrera

Bullpen
Ugueth Urbina
Scott Williamson
Armando Benitez
Rheal Cormier
Jose Mesa
Antonion Osuna
Felix Rodriguez

Catcher
Eli Marrero
Jason Varitek

Outfield
Steve Finley
J.D. Drew
Carlos Beltran

iwannago
07-30-2004, 12:50 PM

Wise? No. Aggressive? Yes.