PDA

View Full Version : Sun-Times: Twins player (not Hunter) getting under Sox skin

Foulke You
07-29-2004, 05:44 PM
From the Sun-Times:

A day after getting hit by a pitch three times, the Twins' Corey Koskie was hit in his first at-bat against Esteban Loaiza.

Guillen said the Sox weren't targeting Koskie, but Tuesday he made it sound like somebody on the Twins was getting under their skin. And he emphasized it wasn't Torii Hunter, who bowled over Jamie Burke on Monday.

"We might hit somebody because of something else, but not because of that play at the plate,'' Guillen said.

Any ideas/thoughts who on the Twins is getting under Ozzie and our player's skins? My pick is Jacque Jones because of his earlier comments and past hot dogging.

RedPinStripes
07-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Hit him again! If the situation is right. I'm sick of the Twins and I'm pissed that Hunter wasnt hit in the back just to make a point. I think Hunter can be drilled for no apparent reason though. :redneck

RKMeibalane
07-29-2004, 05:53 PM
I don't have a problem with the Sox throwing at Twins players. After the stunt Hunter pulled, the Sox are well within their right to stand up for themselves. I'm dissapointed that Hunter himself wasn't drilled, but I have no complaints about anyone hitting Koskie. It's about time the Twins got a taste of their own medicine. After all, they were busy throwing at Frank and Maggs during April of 2003.

fuzzy_patters
07-29-2004, 05:59 PM
I do not believe the Sox were hitting Koskie on purpose. Most of the pitches that hit him were breaking pitches, but Koskie refused to get out of the way. For that reason, I think Koskie is the player Ozzie was talking about. I would not be surprised to see a Sox pitcher drill Koskie with their best fastball during the next series.Then, maybe next time he will think twice before taking one for the team.

woodenleg
07-29-2004, 05:59 PM
From the Sun-Times:

A day after getting hit by a pitch three times, the Twins' Corey Koskie was hit in his first at-bat against Esteban Loaiza.

Guillen said the Sox weren't targeting Koskie, but Tuesday he made it sound like somebody on the Twins was getting under their skin. And he emphasized it wasn't Torii Hunter, who bowled over Jamie Burke on Monday.

"We might hit somebody because of something else, but not because of that play at the plate,'' Guillen said.

Any ideas/thoughts who on the Twins is getting under Ozzie and our player's skins? My pick is Jacque Jones because of his earlier comments and past hot dogging.
My guess is Jones, too. He had so much class yesterday he had to raise three fingers to the fans after the game. Little Jonesy can't handle boooing, i guess, so he has to taunt the fans. What a baby.

Foulke You
07-29-2004, 06:01 PM
I don't have a problem with the Sox throwing at Twins players. After the stunt Hunter pulled, the Sox are well within their right to stand up for themselves. I'm dissapointed that Hunter himself wasn't drilled, but I have no complaints about anyone hitting Koskie. It's about time the Twins got a taste of their own medicine. After all, they were busy throwing at Frank and Maggs during April of 2003.
I feel the same way. The Twins get away squeaky clean with hitting guys (like Maggs and Frank last year) and trash talking (see Hunter, Torii and Jones, Jacque). It's time to dish out some of their own medicine. Hopefully, the series this week was a wake up call to our players so when we play the Twins in September, they will be ready to play hard. I'd rather have a collapse against the Twins happen in July than September as it did last year.

It should also be noted that Koskie is very "David Eckstein/Fernando Vina-esque" in that he doesn't do much to move out of the way of inside pitches. He could have goteen out of the way of at least 2 of those pitches but he took one for the team. That's fine, but you can't cry about him getting hit 4 times in a row if he is going to make little effort to move out of the way.

RKMeibalane
07-29-2004, 06:03 PM
I feel the same way. The Twins get away squeaky clean with hitting guys (like Maggs and Frank last year) and trash talking (see Hunter, Torii and Jones, Jacque). It's time to dish out some of their own medicine. Hopefully, the series this week was a wake up call to our players so when we play the Twins in September, they will be ready to play hard. I'd rather have a collapse against the Twins happen in July than September as it did last year.

It should also be noted that Koskie is very "David Eckstein/Fernando Vina-esque" in that he doesn't do much to move out of the way of inside pitches. He could have goteen out of the way of at least 2 of those pitches but he took one for the team. That's fine, but you can't cry about him getting hit 4 times in a row if he is going to make little effort to move out of the way.
I didn't see any of the beanings in question, but I'm surprised that the umpire didn't make him finish some of those at-bats. I've seen several incidents in the past where a hitter was told to get back into the batter's box after being hit, because he didn't make an effort to avoid being hit.

doublem23
07-29-2004, 06:04 PM
I would assume it's Jacque Jones. That guy talks a lot of **** for hitting .250.

Foulke You
07-29-2004, 06:05 PM
My guess is Jones, too. He had so much class yesterday he had to raise three fingers to the fans after the game. Little Jonesy can't handle boooing, i guess, so he has to taunt the fans. What a baby.
Yeah, and I'll bet my next paycheck that Jonesy was the 1st one to run and hide in the clubhouse when we swept them at the dome in June. Man, the Twins players really get under my skin. :angry:

RKMeibalane
07-29-2004, 06:07 PM
I would assume it's Jacque Jones. That guy talks a lot of **** for hitting .250.
It's safe to say that Jacque Jones has officially replaced John Starks as ultimate anti-Chicago villain. No matter what the situation is, the man just cannot keep his mouth shut, or avoid becoming involved in some sort of controversial situation.

RKMeibalane
07-29-2004, 06:10 PM
You know, I'm surprised that flqwheads, or whatever his name is, isn't here gloating or making excuses for the Twins' behavior during the series.

Sox Mobile
07-29-2004, 06:16 PM
Who knows what Ozzie was talking about, he rambles.

I'm pretty anti-Ozzie right now. He couldnt muster up a "screw you" after Hunter took his catcher out of the game? Even JM could have done better.

Instead he uses the opportunity to belittle his players and forces them to play nice in the sand box about the incident.

We might have had a miniscule shot at Santana in game 2 if Ozzie hadnt pulled the rug out from under the Sox. They went into that game feeling like THEY had done something wrong instead of Hunter!

So much for rallying your team around the cause, thanks Ozzie.

South Side
07-29-2004, 06:21 PM
It's safe to say that Jacque Jones has officially replaced John Starks as ultimate anti-Chicago villain. No matter what the situation is, the man just cannot keep his mouth shut, or avoid becoming involved in some sort of controversial situation.
More so than Hunter? I think his stunt at the plate just about guarentees that he will booed every single time he is in Chicago.

BlackAndWhite
07-29-2004, 07:31 PM
You know, I'm surprised that flqwheads, or whatever his name is, isn't here gloating or making excuses for the Twins' behavior during the series.
I think he got booted. His profile isn't listed anymore.

pczarapa
07-29-2004, 10:38 PM
I do not believe the Sox were hitting Koskie on purpose. Most of the pitches that hit him were breaking pitches, but Koskie refused to get out of the way. For that reason, I think Koskie is the player Ozzie was talking about. I would not be surprised to see a Sox pitcher drill Koskie with their best fastball during the next series.Then, maybe next time he will think twice before taking one for the team.
Me neither, the second time he got hit was a slow splitter, usually not the bean ball of choice.

RKMeibalane
07-29-2004, 10:41 PM
Me neither, the second time he got hit was a slow splitter, usually not the bean ball of choice.
Just once, I'd like to see Shingo bean someone with his "frisbee." The batter probably wouldn't even feel it.

WinTwins
07-29-2004, 11:44 PM
It's hard to believe Koskie is getting under anyone's skin. He's a good guy, keeps his mouth shut, and still he only hits about .245--what's the problem?. I also don't think any of those HBPs were intentional. Jacque Jones has succeeded in getting under the skin of Twins fans too. He has the mannerisms of an 8-year-old, and it shows up when he gets excited. I think that could be quite irritating for the opposition, especially when they're down. I can easily envision JJ and/or Hunter getting drilled by the Sox in September. We'll see.