PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Sox Loses of the Year..so far

07-29-2004, 04:47 PM
These are the games that I will remember if we lose by 5 or less games
5. Expos 17-14 loss, score 14 runs and lose? Ugh. Failed 5th Starter
4. Oakland- 3-2- Up 2-1 in the 9th, Billy Boy blows the lead, and Kotsay HR in extra Innings
3. Seattle- 5-4 ESPN Sunday game of the week- Billy Boy blows 2 run lead and walks in the winning run to a dismal Seattle team
2. Opening Day 9-7...up 7-3 bullpen lets up 6 runs in the 9th...I alost threw up...glad Beltran is gone
1. Minnesota- 5-4....Most poorly played game of the year...coulda shoulds=awoulda, didn't!

mcfish
07-29-2004, 04:57 PM
4. Oakland- 3-2- Up 2-1 in the 9th, Billy Boy blows the lead, and Kotsay HR in extra Innings

5. I consider that to be one of the best failed games of the year for us. Not for Arnie I guess, but the team was down big early and they never quit. That was our offense at its best. They were down 11-1 in the forth - that shouldn't be a game to dwell on.
4. Everyone seems to forget that Adkins gave up the HR in Oakland, not Koch. Only once did Koch completely fail in a save situation - Seattle.

CHISOXFAN13
07-29-2004, 05:00 PM
5. I consider that to be one of the best failed games of the year for us. Not for Arnie I guess, but the team was down big early and they never quit. That was our offense at its best. They were down 11-1 in the forth - that shouldn't be a game to dwell on.
4. Everyone seems to forget that Adkins gave up the HR in Oakland, not Koch. Only once did Koch completely fail in a save situation - Seattle.
Koch blew it in the 9th before Adkins gave up the game-winner.

07-29-2004, 05:02 PM
Thank You

bigdommer
07-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Honorable Mention: the last game at Wrigley against the Cubs.

Yeah, we were never ahead. Yeah, we didn't make many mistakes. But Burly Mon pitched a great game, and we got ZERO runs against friggin' Glendon Rusch. We had a chance with a runner on third, less than two gone, no dice. We had a lot of two out AB's with runners on, no dice. We had Marte in against Walker, up 0-2...and he walks him. Not a poorly played game, just a heartbreaker.

Baby Fisk
07-29-2004, 05:24 PM
It's a long season and every loss sucks. I don't buy into the notion that a loss in April or May has any impact later in the season, because if a team can't bounce back from a tough loss in the spring, that team must play in Arizona, not Chicago.

There are three really bad losses on the book right now, and that's the three versus Minny we just lost. It's now deep enough into the season for this blown series to have a lasting effect on this team. If the Sox can't get back on a winning course, or at best start to muddle along playing .500 ball, then the season is over and this will have been the turning point. Forget the Cubs. That series never sets the tone for our division races. Games against Minny do.

Watching Hunter "run over" the Sox in game one without any payback was brutal. Watching the Sox unable to get over it and pay the Twins back by winning games two and three was horrible. The most recent loss(es) are always the worst.

bigdommer
07-29-2004, 05:28 PM
It's a long season and every loss sucks. I don't buy into the notion that a loss in April or May has any impact later in the season, because if a team can't bounce back from a tough loss in the spring, that team must play in Arizona, not Chicago.

There are three really bad losses on the book right now, and that's the three versus Minny we just lost. It's now deep enough into the season for this blown series to have a lasting effect on this team. If the Sox can't get back on a winning course, or at best start to muddle along playing .500 ball, then the season is over and this will have been the turning point. Forget the Cubs. That series never sets the tone for our division races. Games against Minny do.

Watching Hunter "run over" the Sox in game one without any payback was brutal. Watching the Sox unable to get over it and pay the Twins back by winning games two and three was horrible. The most recent loss(es) are always the worst.
I agree with you. I read the Phil Rogers' article about how Radke mentally defeated the Sox or something like that, and I was thinking, didn't the Sox beat him around a couple of weeks ago.

Point: why is this sweep more painful to the Sox than that sweep in Minny was to the Twinkies. They were both huge. Every game counts. If the Sox lose the last game of the season in KC and finish one game back, each one of those losses in Montreal, Oakland, and Seattle count the same as that loss in KC.

07-29-2004, 05:39 PM

I agree with you and this is a valid point, but in Oct thru March, my friends and I always find ourselves, with a few beers in us, saying 'Damn if we would have just won that opener...or Damn Billy Koch! Every game counts and is tallied at the end of the year! Good point though.

kittle42
07-29-2004, 05:41 PM
LOSSES.

Thank you.

Terminated
07-29-2004, 05:41 PM
Getting swept by the Cubs was embarrassing. We’ve owned them for years, but this time they got us good.

mcfish
07-29-2004, 05:51 PM
He implied that Koch lost the game. Koch did not. Adkins lost the game. Koch screwed up, but he got out of his inning.

RKMeibalane
07-29-2004, 06:00 PM
I don't really know how to rank any of the Sox losses. Every game is important, so I don't know if it's possible to place one game above another in terms of the impact it had one the club.

jackbrohamer
07-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Every loss hacks me off. But why pick a "worst loss" list when there are still 68 to play and the Sox are 2 down in the loss column?

SouthBendSox
07-30-2004, 01:35 AM
Opening Day

ClaudelSleptHere
07-30-2004, 02:17 AM
Every loss hacks me off. But why pick a "worst loss" list when there are still 68 to play and the Sox are 2 down in the loss column?

I have to agree. That would be the same as trying to decide on a "best win" at this point of the season. I hope our worst loss has already happened. I hope our best win is coming up soon.

(Can you believe that it has been less than a week since Crede hit that game-winner? Seems like a month ago.)

ode to veeck
07-30-2004, 09:57 AM
I had to pull out my score sheet from the Oakland game ... Koch blew the lead in the 9th, then Adkins gave up the gopher in the 10th.

As bad as the Oakland, lose the leads, don't take advantage of Jose's late game tying HR, extra inning losses were, I don't think they were as bad as getting swept by the Scrubs, or the even more dismal recent home sweep to the Twinkies, as around the west coast trip we were still playing well, e.g. pasting the high flying Rangers in Texas, wheras we couldn't even beat the Detroit Kittens last night after the Twins series, really hurt when they sniffed out the 2nd hit and run & picked the runner about 20 sec before the double in the corner ... ouch ... also, not responding and winning in the next two games after Hunter punched out our catcher, we really needed to make a statement to the Twinks but couldn't at home ... we better get those guys next time

speaking of that, our AL rivals that need spanking do have Twinks and As at the top of the list, with Twinks in particular, really proving they are the team with which we have plenty of mutual animosity. YankMes series are done til playoffs, and we've done well against them last two years.

Whitesox029
07-30-2004, 10:47 AM
These are the games that I will remember if we lose by 5 or less games
3. Seattle- 5-4 ESPN Sunday game of the week- Billy Boy blows 2 run lead and walks in the winning run to a dismal Seattle team
2. Opening Day 9-7...up 7-3 bullpen lets up 6 runs in the 9th...I alost threw up...glad Beltran is gone
1. Minnesota- 5-4....Most poorly played game of the year...coulda shoulds=awoulda, didn't!Can't forget game 2 at the shrine. We were going to come back and win that game. I'm going to stop thinking now about a time when this team still had a heart because it's depressing me.