PDA

View Full Version : Let's cancel the season right now.

Jurr
07-29-2004, 10:06 AM
Damn, I can't believe the mess I made out of my living room yesterday after that game. Things flew for 30 minutes. But, after the tirade and after a few cold beverages, I thought about how we've been down this road before this season.
Remember the Cubs sweep that we endured??? Oh, God, it's over now. We're done. We can't play and we won't win another game this year. Yeah...it sucked terribly. I think it's pretty easy to get caught up in that. Here are some very objective views on the subject, though.

1. Two of the three games we lost were against hot pitchers. Yes, we did supposedly send our studs out there as well, but we just didn't have the horses to get the job done. We ran into some good pitching that was a little better than ours for THOSE TWO DAYS. The fact that they beat Buehrle and Garcia on back to back days does not imply that they are better or will win the next time they play.

2. Scheduling. Okay. It kinda sucks being 3.5 games down at the moment, but I clearly remember the fact that we have a much easier stretch than Minny does to finish the season. If we gained 1 game a week for the rest of the season on these clowns, we're up by a LOT of games at the end of the season. And, if that's not enough, remember...we could be a game or so down to the Twins going into the last few games.....where we have KC and they have the good old Yankees.

3. Help! We need a little help in the hitting department, and I doubt KW is going to let us go through the motions without some hitting help. Yeah, I would love to see us get Kendall or Beltran, but I'm kinda doubting those guys are going to be coming to Chicago this year after the heavy prices we've paid already for additions. I think a guy like Jerry Hariston or Cattalanatto, guys that can just add a couple HITS (not homers) to the lineup every day would go a long way towards curing our solo shot misery.

4. Yes, we did s*** the bed pretty well yesterday, but we did get some timely hitting, and that may very well carry over to the next little stretch. If we can just keep our heads up and just keep plugging away, I think this season is still very winnable.

5. The cavalry. I talked to a friend of mine, an orthopaedic surgeon about the Magglio injury, and he said that you can get over bone inflammation in a month or so, depending on the severity of the swelling. When the diagnosis on Maggs' injury came out, I was pretty shocked, because that's a freakish thing, but I still have enough information to think that he could definitely be back this year for the stretch run. Frank is an even stronger candidate for a return. Now, will they be terribly rusty and not that much help?? I guess we'll have to wait and see. But, I have a feeling that we haven't seen the end of them this season.

So, that's something to sink your teeth into before you're about to jump off the Sears Tower. It's a LOOONNG season, and we just lost three games in a row. Nothing would be nicer right now than to cure what ails us by smoking the Tigers and the Royals and getting a couple of games back quickly. Then this whole thing will feel like a bad dream.

LASOXFAN
07-29-2004, 12:11 PM
My uncle is an orthopedic surgeon and I asked him about Mags injury and he basically said the same thing. They're keeping him on crutches to try and get rid of the swelling - the work in the pool will maintain strength while not putting pounding pressure on the joint. I honestly believe we'll see him taking BP by September 1st. You might think that's nuts but that's what I think. He could be available for the last two to three weeks of the season which will be decisive (I hope).

Frank's injury is more hard to predict. The older you get the longer it takes to heal.

Punko Paco
07-29-2004, 02:03 PM
:troll
"Take my word on this... Morning Wood is very good indeed!"

nasox
07-29-2004, 03:04 PM
You wasted your time posting that crap

Baby Fisk
07-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Damn, I can't believe the mess I made out of my living room yesterday after that game. Things flew for 30 minutes. But, after the tirade and after a few cold beverages, I thought about how we've been down this road before this season. :o: Can't say I concur with the half-hour tirade, but the whiskey was definitely flowing last night. Please White Sox, win a game and end this slide into degradation for many of us...

RKMeibalane
07-29-2004, 04:42 PM
Sorry, I hate to disagree, but the season is officially over. The Sox don't have enough grinders to compete this year. Its second place again.
:troll

RKMeibalane
07-29-2004, 04:44 PM
My uncle is an orthopedic surgeon and I asked him about Mags injury and he basically said the same thing. They're keeping him on crutches to try and get rid of the swelling - the work in the pool will maintain strength while not putting pounding pressure on the joint. I honestly believe we'll see him taking BP by September 1st. You might think that's nuts but that's what I think. He could be available for the last two to three weeks of the season which will be decisive (I hope).

Frank's injury is more hard to predict. The older you get the longer it takes to heal.
I have the feeling that Frank will be back in September, provided that the Sox stay close. If they're ten games back of Minnesota on September 1, then there's no reason for Frank to play the last two or three weeks of the season. If they are hanaging around, however, then I think Frank will make every effort to return. He knows that winning a WS will all but guarantee him a spot in Cooperstown, so I don't think he's going to sit back and watch while this team has a chance to win it all.

doublem23
07-29-2004, 04:54 PM
If the Sox win 3-4 games in a row and cut that Minnesota lead back to 1/2 game, we'll be World Series contenders again. :rolleyes:

fuzzy_patters
07-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Great post, Jurr. This last series did not end the season, but it did make the next couple series much more crucial. The Sox have to find a way to turn it around and start picking up wins because an emotional sweep like that could have put Minnesotta on a hot streak. This team cannot wait around for the Twins to lose anymore. If the Sox can just hang in there fore another month, they could still be in the race in time for Maggs and Frank to come back which would be better than any trade deadline aquisition.

RKMeibalane
07-29-2004, 04:58 PM
If the Sox win 3-4 games in a row and cut that Minnesota lead back to 1/2 game, we'll be World Series contenders again. :rolleyes:
I agree. A psychiatrist could make a career out of some of the people on this board. People just need to chill out. The chips will fall where they may. There's nothing we can do about it one way or the other.

nasox
07-29-2004, 05:35 PM
I agree. A psychiatrist could make a career out of some of the people on this board. People just need to chill out. The chips will fall where they may. There's nothing we can do about it one way or the other.

After tough losses like the ones we just had, I avoid this board. I'll be back after everybody comes back from the windowsill (in a week after we are in first again).

Lip Man 1
07-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Na:

It may be longer then a week...

Lip

RKMeibalane
07-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Na:

Lip
How long do you think it will take, Lip?

South Side
07-29-2004, 09:51 PM
Na:

Lip
The Twins are no Cardinals team... they are no going to continue to win like this... I would imagine by next week we WILL be in this position.

skobabe8
07-29-2004, 10:04 PM
Can anyone confirm our last 11 home runs have been solo????? If that is true....I mean, think about that!! :o:

Terminated
07-29-2004, 10:14 PM
The Twins have yet to hit losing streaks like these because the Sox have lost like 5 in a roll twice this year, probably even more. When they play the Yankees than everything may turn around in our favor.

quakeroats
07-29-2004, 10:41 PM
The season looks very grim... it looked grim since the Maggs injury. It will be very hard to make the postseason without Maggs and Thomas. At this point all you have to do is hope they play good baseball the rest of the year and regroup with a stronger rotation and lineup next year. I'm not throwing the white flag, but lets be real... with Thomas and Maggs out its going to be VERY hard to keep up with the Twins (or anybody in the WC). I just want to see good baseball... postseason or not.

jordan23ventura
07-29-2004, 11:18 PM
The Twins are no Cardinals team... they are no going to continue to win like this... I would imagine by next week we WILL be in this position.
The Twins, to their credit, have played the game better than the Sox have for a few years now, which is why they have won the division. They get hitting in key situations, don't make as many mental errors, and play D. The Sox have largely had the better players in most positions, but the Twins have been a better team. Plus, the holes they have aren't quite as glaring as the Sox.

If this team is going to turn it around, they HAVE to play small ball - not just talk about it. I guarantee that if the Sox don't win the division this year, people will be screaming to remove Guillen and KW. It's not their fault. This team needs more OBP, less K's in the bottom of the line-up, and at least three guys who are confident in their ability to steal a base. Right now, Rowand is the only one that really looks good out there trying to steal.

milrtyme28
07-30-2004, 01:42 AM
Quote:

Since the Sox are playing like crap, and I am superstitious, I have changed my signature. The White Sox are no longer as good as sex. They are now merely as good as pizza.

I have had better pizza lately. :whiner: In any case, its not over yet, contrary to many recent posts. We can drag this out if we play our looser schedule and the twins do not step it up. ( Especially if KW can get one or two guys that can get on base consistantly - paging KW!!!!)

ode to veeck
07-30-2004, 09:01 AM
Na:

Lip

After the last 5 losses, I'd almost have to read that as a rare "glass half full" statement from Lip :redneck

ode to veeck
07-30-2004, 09:02 AM
Since the Sox are playing like crap, and I am superstitious, I have changed my signature. The White Sox are no longer as good as sex. They are now merely as good as pizza.

Not even as good as Voodoo's pizza after loss to the Kitties last night ...