PDA

View Full Version : Twins looking to dump Mientkiewicz

he_gone_89
07-29-2004, 12:42 AM
according to ESPNEWS,the twins are trying to trade Doug Mientkiewicz away

If we were to pick him up,he can play 1B while Paulie can DH and we can put everett in RF or CF instead of Timo and Aaron

would this be a good pickup??

jackbrohamer
07-29-2004, 01:00 AM
No, they have too many 1-dimensional ballplayers and do not need another first baseman

As big a jerk as he is, he always seemed to me to be a big part of the Twinkie success. Maybe if they dump him it'll screw up their "chemistry" like it did when they traded Lawton in 2001 for Rick Reed

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2004, 01:08 AM
Just how would the Sox be a better club with no-hitting Mientkiewicz at first? Right now, there are too many guys in this lineup who aren't hitting; you certainly don't add one at a corner position.

gosox3072
07-29-2004, 01:46 AM
Minkavilakjfladch on the sox? Thats like John Starks on the Bulls!

NO WAY!:angry:

doublem23
07-29-2004, 01:53 AM
If your best asset at first base is defense, you don't belong in the American League.

WinTwins
07-29-2004, 04:40 AM
Mientkiewicz doesn't offer that much to the Twins anymore. It's hard to believe the Sox would have any use for him--he's little more than a Renaissance Mike Squires. Even if they were interested, it's highly doubtful that Terry Ryan would risk trading him to the team they're in a pennant race with, unless they got an unbelievable return.

bigdommer
07-29-2004, 08:34 AM
I finally understand Pittsburgh taking Minky off of the Twins' hands. The Twins ship Minky and an outfield prospect (Cuddyer, Jason Kubel, Restovich). Then the Pirates ship Minky to Boston for Kevin Youkilis. That deal makes sense for all teams involved. But word is the Twins don't want to ship any of those prospects. Apparently they like all of that depth.

Skorch
07-29-2004, 10:30 AM
I finally understand Pittsburgh taking Minky off of the Twins' hands. The Twins ship Minky and an outfield prospect (Cuddyer, Jason Kubel, Restovich). Then the Pirates ship Minky to Boston for Kevin Youkilis. That deal makes sense for all teams involved. But word is the Twins don't want to ship any of those prospects. Apparently they like all of that depth.Actually, the Twins wouldn't mind trading Restovich I believe. We've got such an overstock of outfielders as it is, and right now he's a AAAA player. With some regular playing time he could be very good. Kubel is an OF prospect as well, but won't be up to Minnesota until this September at the very earliest, but more likely mid-season next year.

Division rivalry aside, Mientkiewicz wouldn't be a good fit for your Sox, he's terrific defensively but has been hitting around .235. He draws a few walks, but not enough to really make much of an impact. Your holes are elsewhere.

oeo
07-29-2004, 10:34 AM
Word on the street is that he has a hot wife though... :)

Skorch
07-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Word on the street is that he has a hot wife though... :)
Indeed, Jodi Mientkiewicz is pretty good looking. She would show up a couple times a season to the broadcast booth to promote some charity she and and Doug were involved with wearing a tight sweater. I'll miss that.

OzzieBall2004
07-29-2004, 12:20 PM
No way there'd be a trade between us and the twinkies. Thats crazy talk, and Mientkiewicz sucks anyway.

BTW, he_gone, that black guy in your sig isnt KW

pczarapa
07-29-2004, 01:01 PM

If we were to pick him up,he can play 1B while Paulie can DH and we can put everett in RF or CF instead of Timo and Aaron

I really couldn't see the Twins and White Sox making any trades between each other when they're 1-2 in the division race. I personally don't think Mientkiewicz would do us very much good. I am excited about the opportunity of picking up Hairston Jr and/or Cattalanotto as Otis has posted in another thread. I think that would be a much more plausible situation.

lowesox
07-29-2004, 01:53 PM
I would hate him even if he was on the sox.

Deadguy
07-29-2004, 02:15 PM

Paul has stated he is not comfortable as a DH, and is too selfish to step aside and let a better fielder take the position. Not that I really care, since 1st base is the least important position defensively, I hate Dougy M. with a passion, and Paul shouldn't be asked to move from 1st base simply because we acquire a stiff like this. If he were to be acquired, he'd be a weak hitting DH (much like if we acquired Olerud).

Jjav829
07-29-2004, 02:29 PM
I doubt Kenny would have any interest in him after Mientkiewicz ripped into the Cell about security and what the All-Star game would be like. Kenny responded saying something like "Well, he won't have to worry about being at the All-Star game anyway," or something to that effect.

Aidan
07-29-2004, 02:30 PM
I doubt Kenny would have any interest in him after Mientkiewicz ripped into the Cell about security and what the All-Star game would be like. Kenny responded saying something like "Well, he won't have to worry about being at the All-Star game anyway," or something to that effect.MWAHAHAHA!!! Kenny rules! :tongue:

Anyways, the Twins would never trade Mientkiewicz to the White Sox so there's really nothing to discuss. He's good defensively but he can't hit. How many teams get a 1st baseman for his defense instead of his bat? :tongue:

3Peater
07-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Actually, the Twins wouldn't mind trading Restovich I believe. We've got such an overstock of outfielders as it is, and right now he's a AAAA player. With some regular playing time he could be very good. Kubel is an OF prospect as well, but won't be up to Minnesota until this September at the very earliest, but more likely mid-season next year.

Division rivalry aside, Mientkiewicz wouldn't be a good fit for your Sox, he's terrific defensively but has been hitting around .235. He draws a few walks, but not enough to really make much of an impact. Your holes are elsewhere.
Mientkiewicz' wrist is the main culprit for the bad average. Been hurting since KC series last summer, when he swept a tag on Sweeny and just about got it ripped off. Surgery helped, but it's never fully healed. He messed up not getting it done sooner. Then it got hit in the same spot in BP.

Restovich is the only one of the 3 mentioned that would go to Pittsburgh.Minnesota needs a third baseman, Koskie was re-upped for 4.5 mill this year and is a FA, so that's probably where Cuddyer winds up. Kubel is an untouchable prospect in the eyes of management.

I can see Youkilis going to the Pirates in a 3-way swap. Littlefield just has to get over no one wants to part with a stud prospect(especially the budgeted Twins) for a rental.