PDA

View Full Version : How many games attended?

soxwon
07-28-2004, 10:06 PM
FOR MY 1,000 post:
Id like to know about how many sox games has everyone attended?
What year was your first game?

my first game was 1965 vs yankees
ive been to over 500 sox games in my life
ive kept score for everyone but i only have about 300 score cards in my posession.

itsnotrequired
07-28-2004, 10:22 PM
ive kept score for everyone but i only have about 300 score cards in my posession.
You have me beat by 38 years and over 495 games. I am new to the city and went to one game last year and four (so far) this year. FYI, I have yet to see the Sox win at home.:(:

WSox8404
07-28-2004, 10:38 PM
I am almost 20 years old, and I have been to probably around 75 games. This year I am 4-0. I should go more often.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-28-2004, 10:52 PM
Even though im preety young..ive been to about 25 sox games in my life. I havent kept track of any of them though becuase i went to my first sox game when i was like 3 :redneck

he_gone_89
07-28-2004, 10:57 PM
in 15 years,ive been to around 130 sox games
my first game was on september 28,1990 [one of the last old comiskey park games] and i've been to 2 postseason games[both in '93]

doublem23
07-28-2004, 11:04 PM
The first game I ever went to was at Old Comiskey. I have no idea who they played, when it was, or what even happened. The only real memory of the game I still have left was looking at my seat and seeing the layers of different paint on it. There had to have been at least 6-7 coats on that seat.

Anyway, the first game I really, really remember going to was in, I think 1992. Date escapes me, but my dad and I sat in the bleachers and Paul Sorrento hit a homer for the Indians. I also remember select games in 1993, especially towards the end of the year when the magic number kept counting down. Great times.

In my life, I've probably been to 50-60 Sox games and I think I have about 20 complete scorecards. I'm going to try and hit up the Monday and Tuesday games next week.

HomeFish
07-28-2004, 11:10 PM
Check my sig.

First game was in 1998 against the Yankees. I was one of the few people to see the Yankees lose a game that year. I remember the guy who caught the game-winning homerun in that game running through the parking lot with the home run ball cheering.

Lip Man 1
07-29-2004, 12:14 AM
I picked a pretty amazing first game...July 15, 1963. Orioles at Sox. Gary Peters (one of my heroes) threw a one hitter striking out eleven. Sox won 4-0 on two run home runs by J.C. Martin and Tommy McCraw. The only hit off Peters was by the opposing pitcher Robin Roberts.

It was a 'ducksnort' into short right field in the third inning just out of the reach of Nellie Fox.

I went with my Mom and my Uncle (My dad worked nights at Midway Airport.) We sat between home plate and the Orioles dugout along the first base line about half way up. Since I was only eight, when Martin and McCraw hit their home runs I couldn't see them go over the wall because everybody stood up. I had to wait to see if the scoreboard went off.

By the way when I interviewed Peters for the web site I asked him about that game. Roberts lives a few miles from him and to this day Robin still gives him **** over that bloop hit!

God I love the Sox and would give just about anything I have for a pennant! (Mr. Applegate are you listening???)

Lip

BigEdWalsh
07-29-2004, 09:58 AM
I've been to probably around 100 games. By far, way more in the old park since I used to go to a lot more games back in the late 60's and early 70's.
My dad took me to my first game in August 1962. Jim Kaat beat Early Wynn 2-0. I remember Lenny Green made a great diving catch in cf for the Twins. The second game I went to was in '63. I don't remember who played. All I remember was I caught a foul ball off the bat of Camilo Carreon, but it was in my possession of all about a 1/2 second. Some old dude was also goin' for it and he won out. My dad was away getting food at the time or he probably woulda clocked the guy. At least so I like to think. The only other ball I've ever gotten was about 10 years later when Amos Otis threw me a ball during batting practice.
I went to more games in my college days and only get to a few a year now. It'd be more I'm sure if I still lived closer to Chicago.
This year I'm 0-2. Sox lost 6-2 in Freddy's home debut and got clobbered by the Tigers just last Sunday to start their current dreadful streak.

idseer
07-29-2004, 11:19 AM
FOR MY 1,000 post:
Id like to know about how many sox games has everyone attended?
What year was your first game?

1965 huh? that was close to the LAST game i attended. was definitely late 60's.

steff
07-29-2004, 12:09 PM
First game was in April of 1974. I spit up formula on Chuck Tanner. :D:

I've probably been to about 1000 games over the past 30 years.

Brian26
07-29-2004, 12:14 PM
First game I ever attended at Old Comiskey was September 19, 1982. It was a Sunday afternoon game during fan appreciation weekend:

Chicago White Sox 8, Oakland Athletics 3
Day Game Played on Sunday, September 19, 1982 (D) at Comiskey Park I
OAK A 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 - 3 8 0
CHI A 2 0 3 0 0 3 0 0 x - 8 12 1

Starting Lineups:

Chicago White Sox
Gray 3b
Paciorek 1b
Baines rf
Luzinski dh
Kemp lf
Fisk c
V. Law ss
Kuntz cf
Loviglio 2b
Koosman p

Ah, who could forget Jay Loviglio at secondbase?

thecell
07-29-2004, 12:58 PM
In my 25 years, I've probably been to over 400 games. I don't remember my first game but it was probably around '82 or '83. God bless my old man for raising me correctly!

:gulp:

HomeFish
07-29-2004, 02:00 PM
After looking back on the records, I am fairly certain that my first White Sox game was September 5, 1998, a 9-5 win against the Yankees. Anyone have a box score?

JohnBasedowYoda
07-29-2004, 02:36 PM
This year i'm 6-6 and before this year i've prolly only been to like 7 games.

idseer
07-29-2004, 02:55 PM
After looking back on the records, I am fairly certain that my first White Sox game was September 5, 1998, a 9-5 win against the Yankees. Anyone have a box score?
http://www.retrosheet.org./

abbot beat pettitte

StockdaleForVeep
07-29-2004, 03:11 PM
I have no clue how many games i been too, past 5 years ive averaged atleast 1 game a year, with past 2 years prob doubling my life total(5 games last year, 4 this year)

First game i can remember when i was a wee lad at ole comiskey. Sox vs Cali angels, and i sorta was amazed when i saw Jim Abbott warming in the pen and i saw his no hand. Also they ran a major league(the nintendo game) comercial and i went "hey we have that!"

ahhh...sweet child ignorance. but sadly my only apperance at ole comiskey....sadly i can say i never visited the cherished stadium

ozzman
07-29-2004, 05:10 PM
I don't remember my first game, but my second or third game was the game where the sox lost to the orioles to end their 0 for 21 skid to start the year.

I also remember being at the game where Harold Baines became the alltime leader for sox homeruns

LongLiveFisk
07-29-2004, 05:25 PM
I would guess that I've been to somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-75 games in my lifetime. My first was in the summer of either '77 or '78 (I can't remember, being a 6 or 7-yr old then) but I do remember winning the game on an Eric Soderholm solo shot. How about those South Side Hitmen? :cool:

ZachAL
07-29-2004, 06:56 PM
dont remember my first game, but remember goin to old comiskey tons of times...id bet my first game was mid to late 80's...this year i'm 10-13 (which isnt too great, i know) but its a respectable amount of games considering i was at college until about mid-may out of state.

BarbG
07-29-2004, 07:06 PM
First game, sometime in the early 70's. Somebody hit one over the roof that night but I can't find a list of roofshots at old Comiskey anywhere.

My late father was a Sox freak who took us every weekend they were in town, so hundreds of games through the 70's. Sunday double-headers. Always Fathers Day, when they had the kids' game. Southside Hit men, what a great year! Disco Demolition night.

When dad died I didn't have the heart to go to Comiskey for a couple years, started again in the mid-80's going to at least 10 a year through the early 90's. Got to dance on the field with Ribbie and Rhubarb the night that the Sox kindly ended the Orioles' record-tying losing streak. Every fireworks night. The second to last game at old Comiskey.

Last game attended = yesterday. Now bringing my kids, dad would be happy.

idseer
07-29-2004, 07:53 PM
First game, sometime in the early 70's. Somebody hit one over the roof that night but I can't find a list of roofshots at old Comiskey anywhere.

My late father was a Sox freak who took us every weekend they were in town, so hundreds of games through the 70's. Sunday double-headers. Always Fathers Day, when they had the kids' game. Southside Hit men, what a great year! Disco Demolition night.

When dad died I didn't have the heart to go to Comiskey for a couple years, started again in the mid-80's going to at least 10 a year through the early 90's. Got to dance on the field with Ribbie and Rhubarb the night that the Sox kindly ended the Orioles' record-tying losing streak. Every fireworks night. The second to last game at old Comiskey.

Last game attended = yesterday. Now bringing my kids, dad would be happy.
nice memories.

i can't think of anyone on the 70's who could have hit a roof shot on the sox team other than dick allen. but i don't remember him doing it. i don't think melton had that kind of power and kittle didn't play there until the early 80's.

perhaps one of the bad guys?
:smile:

BarbG
07-29-2004, 08:42 PM
I found it in my handy-dandy 1987 Media Guide.

Tom Egan hit one out on July 25, 1971. I knew it was somebody obscure and a Sox catcher but since I was only 7, at my very first game, the memory is a little vague. I thought somebody did that at every game.

Dick Allen hit one out in 1973. (Melton never did it but he was still my 70's hero. I remember ironing "14" on the back of my Knot Hole Gang t-shirt.) Kittle and Luzinski did it in the 80's after the plate was moved closer to the outfield.

Wow, my first game was 33 years and 4 days ago...?