PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie and our lack of bunting ability

BainesHOF
07-28-2004, 09:48 PM
There's NO excuse for so many of our players not only being able to lay down a sacrifice bunt, but looking so completely clueless in their attempts.

Why hasn't enough attention been devoted to having our guys learn how to bunt? More than five months have passed since spring training started. Part of a manager's job is teaching.

Every, and I mean every, player who has trouble bunting should be required to be at the park at 3 p.m. daily until they know how to bunt. It's as simple as that. If the players don't like it, tough. Maybe they'll stop embarrassing themselves come game time. It's inconceivable to me that so many don't have the first clue on how to even attempt to bunt.

It's pathetic that .240-hitting Joe Crede can't bunt, and it's also a terrible reflection on Ozzie.

WSox8404
07-28-2004, 11:34 PM
There's NO excuse for so many of our players not only being able to lay down a sacrifice bunt, but looking so completely clueless in their attempts.

Why hasn't enough attention been devoted to having our guys learn how to bunt? More than five months have passed since spring training started. Part of a manager's job is teaching.

Every, and I mean every, player who has trouble bunting should be required to be at the park at 3 p.m. daily until they know how to bunt. It's as simple as that. If the players don't like it, tough. Maybe they'll stop embarrassing themselves come game time. It's inconceivable to me that so many don't have the first clue on how to even attempt to bunt.

It's pathetic that .240-hitting Joe Crede can't bunt, and it's also a terrible reflection on Ozzie.
I agree. Its not like we are trying to teach power. Its just letting the ball hit the bat. I played baseball for many years, and let me tell you, laying down a sacrifice, with a little practice, is easy. Bunting for a hit is harder, but laying down one is easy.

Cubbiesuck13
07-29-2004, 11:29 AM
that is the one thing i thought WOULD change if nothing else did. but i am wrong once again.

JRIG
07-29-2004, 12:32 PM
We are second in the AL in sacrifice bunts. If you want 3 bunts every game, go watch National League baseball.

Lip Man 1
07-29-2004, 12:35 PM
Old saying...'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink...'

Sooner or later players have to execute when the time comes, you can't expect a guy who has been swinging for the fences all his life to 'suddenly' figure out how to bunt.

The solution is to get players who CAN. (and steal bases, hit and run, run and hit, hit the other way, and have good baseball sense.)

And that takes time.

Lip

mcfish
07-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Give Joe 2 tries like he's supposed to get and maybe he gets it down. What do you want him to do, bunt at a pitch head high? Be mad at Jose for being an idiot, not Crede - he didn't even get a full chance to fail. And I really disagreed with sending Uribe. Any other time I like the strategy, but running 2 baserunners off the bases in the same at bat is devastating. The risk far outwieghed the possible reward, in my opinion.

Also - Jose is usually a good base runner. What happened yesterday? He was caught not even halfway off 2nd. Why break for 3rd? At least going back is a more difficult throw.

Lip Man 1
07-29-2004, 05:43 PM
According to the papers Jose' said he saw the Twins catcher 'double clutch' on the throw and thought he could make it.

Lip

dickallen15
07-29-2004, 05:45 PM
We are second in the AL in sacrifice bunts. If you want 3 bunts every game, go watch National League baseball.The Sox may be second in the AL in sac. bunts. I'll bet they are in first by a wide margin of failed sacrifice bunts.

RKMeibalane
07-29-2004, 05:46 PM
According to the papers Jose' said he saw the Twins catcher 'double clutch' on the throw and thought he could make it.

Lip
Blanco is a solid defensive catcher. I have a feeling that he double-clutched on purpose in order to trick Jose into trying to steal.

mcfish
07-29-2004, 05:48 PM

LipWell then Jose's gonna have to come back to reality because there was no way he could reach third base on that play. I doubt he could have gotten back to second, but at least that would have been a close play.

doublem23
07-29-2004, 06:25 PM
We are second in the AL in sacrifice bunts. If you want 3 bunts every game, go watch National League baseball.
Agreed. The bigger problem than not being able to bunt is the fact that we've hit 90 homers this year with the bases empty. You think an extra 90 runs (at least) wouldn't be a little helpful?

HomeFish
07-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Just goes to show how valuable Timo is...

BainesHOF
07-30-2004, 10:51 PM
Just thought I'd bump my original post up as the problem continues. It won't stop unless something is done about it. Our players won't magically become good bunters without working on it.

Ozzie is all talk.

Cubbiesuck13
07-30-2004, 10:52 PM
Just thought I'd bump my original post up as the problem continues. It won't stop unless something is done about it. Our players won't magically become good bunters without working on it.

Ozzie is all talk.
burke in the 6th... cough cough..... bunt single....

South Side
07-30-2004, 10:54 PM
That lack of bunting scored 2 runs.

Terminated
07-30-2004, 11:20 PM
With Willie’s speed, he should show bunt every single time he goes up to bat.... mostly when he leads off a game.